PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Read on PFT About Franchise Players

The Juice Is Loose
04-11-2009, 08:15 PM
I know that Peppers has said that he wants to play in a 3-4. But to be honest I don't know why.

Anyway, I read on PFT that teams may want to wait until after the draft to sign franchise players to an offer sheet. Basically, Peppers is a free agent. He can talk to whomever he wants. Only catch is, if a team offers him a deal and the Panthers don't match it, the offering team would owe Carolina 2 first round picks.

So the point made was for a team with a management regime that may fear termination with a lackluster 2009. (IE: our staff) They could be inclined to draft a first rounder, and then after the draft give up their 2010 and 2011 picks. Think of it: Either it pays off in 09 and they get to the playoffs and keep their job. Or it doesn't work, they get fired and go to another team, with a bonus of leaving their previous team with no first rounders.

I'm not saying the Bills will go after Peppers or that he would come here. But if the Bills have an intriguing draft and maybe if the draft and/or a lack of interest from 3-4 teams forces Peppers to look to a 4-3 team. It could happen, people have said they don't think he can pass cover.

So hey, maybe the Bills had that plan all along and will sign Peppers after the draft. You never know.

What if they trade their 1, 2, and 3 to move up with the Chiefs and take Curry at 3? That would have to compel a guy like Peppers to join a team that looked like this:

Schobel, Stroud, Owens, Curry, Poz, Mitchell, McElvin, Whitner, Lynch, Evans etc. etc.

As I said, I'm not saying its going to happen. But, if I was in the shoes of the guys running the show, it doesn't seem like all that bad of an idea.