PDA

View Full Version : Bills Reconsidering D. Foster?

SeatownBillsFan21
04-11-2009, 09:47 PM
John Clayton, of ESPN.com, reports the Buffalo Bills might have to reconsider the idea of signing free-agent RB DeShaun Foster (49ers). The team will need a dependable backup running back behind RB Fred Jackson while RB Marshawn Lynch is serving a three-game suspension. The Bills may also consider selecting a running back in the NFL Draft.

I would love to have him as a bill your thoughts...

Jaybird
04-11-2009, 09:49 PM
The team needs the security at the RB position. Let's sign him up t a minimal contract,we can always cut him when lynch returns. Besides jackson we don't have a proven RB on the roster

The Juice Is Loose
04-11-2009, 09:51 PM
He's not good.

The Juice Is Loose
04-11-2009, 09:52 PM
just sign Fred wtf.

Jaybird
04-11-2009, 09:53 PM
He's not good.

Good enough to be a backup for 3 games!

jamze132
04-11-2009, 11:51 PM
Damn, John Clayton is all over it! Did it really take him this long to realize that we were going to need another RB while Lynch is out?

Mitchell55
04-12-2009, 12:19 AM
just sign Fred wtf.

God damn. You are quickly turning into my most hated poster, god. What in the **** are you talking about? We need Foster to be our backup while Lynch is out, not our starter, thats Freds job and he IS signed, just not long term.

ServoBillieves
04-12-2009, 12:48 AM
Great. Pick him up for a minimal offer, put food on his table while Freddy J lights up the field and he comes in for 7 or 8 snaps a game. The guy can produce or at least put some thoughts in defenses heads.

I know the Xavier Omen can't do that, but you are either hit or miss with Foster, and defenses know that.

Syderick
04-12-2009, 01:05 AM
God damn. You are quickly turning into my most hated poster, god. What in the **** are you talking about? We need Foster to be our backup while Lynch is out, not our starter, thats Freds job and he IS signed, just not long term.

Now that is quite the statement even coming from you

Mitchell55
04-12-2009, 01:14 AM
Now that is quite the statement even coming from you

What are you talking about. I cant stand most people here but I deal with him, this is one guy that I cant stand, ever since FTP and Gr8 left I havent had that guy but he has come to that list.

clumping platelets
04-12-2009, 03:05 AM
He would be a good addition for the right price

Ickybaluky
04-12-2009, 08:04 AM
he IS signed, just not long term.

He isn't signed, he is tendered. By tendering an offer the Bills retain the exclusive right to negotiate, but he isn't under contract until he signs the tender or agrees on a longer-term contract.

He is, technically, a free agent. He is just one that can't negotiate with other teams. He doesn't have a contract and if he were to skip all team activities he could not be fined. To his credit, he is attending offseason workouts, but he is doing so of his own volition. That is risky on his part, because if he is hurt the team isn't responsible because he doesn't have a contract.

At some point, he has to report or he will be ineligible to play the season. That is why he will eventually sign and report, although not very happily, for the tender amount if they can't agree on a deal. He has no real leverage.

HHURRICANE
04-12-2009, 09:37 AM
He isn't signed, he is tendered. By tendering an offer the Bills retain the exclusive right to negotiate, but he isn't under contract until he signs the tender or agrees on a longer-term contract.

He is, technically, a free agent. He is just one that can't negotiate with other teams. He doesn't have a contract and if he were to skip all team activities he could not be fined. To his credit, he is attending offseason workouts, but he is doing so of his own volition. That is risky on his part, because if he is hurt the team isn't responsible because he doesn't have a contract.

At some point, he has to report or he will be ineligible to play the season. That is why he will eventually sign and report, although not very happily, for the tender amount if they can't agree on a deal. He has no real leverage.

Thanks for the intelligent post!!

This is exactly where the Bills drop the ball every time. We would not have the Peters situation if the Bills had addressed it intelligently and got ahead of the problem instead of acting like they had to do nothing because he singed a deal that paid him as the 3rd best lineman when he was obviously the best one we had.

Fred Jackson was a gamble that paid off but not negotiating in good faith just because we aren't obligated to do so is Peters all over again.

bigbub2352
04-12-2009, 02:17 PM
Sign him most teams use 3 RBs in a game TUrk bland offense struggles to get Lynch hand Fred both in
Foster Lynch Freddie Omon and Hall
I would feel very good about that depth thats what good teams have DEPTH
We have to bring in talent not just the cheap fix every time
Turk needs to figure out how to utilize and maximize the talent he has on the roster and creat his scheme around that
Football 101

jimbohastle51
04-12-2009, 02:17 PM
as a depth signing i think it is good but the guy cannot handle any kind of real load. he has had some pretty serious knee injuries over the years. he is a very serviceable backup though and could still merit 5 carries a game when lynch is back seeing that foster is also a very good pass catcher out of the backfield as well as running through tackles.

jamze132
04-12-2009, 03:27 PM
I personally do not see the need for Foster. What do we do with him Week 4?

SeatownBillsFan21
04-13-2009, 12:18 AM
I personally do not see the need for Foster. What do we do with him Week 4?
Good point but if we give him the minimum that dont really matter much id take him over Sapp dude that was just here.

clumping platelets
04-13-2009, 12:24 AM
Thanks for the intelligent post!!

This is exactly where the Bills drop the ball every time. We would not have the Peters situation if the Bills had addressed it intelligently and got ahead of the problem instead of acting like they had to do nothing because he singed a deal that paid him as the 3rd best lineman when he was obviously the best one we had.

Fred Jackson was a gamble that paid off but not negotiating in good faith just because we aren't obligated to do so is Peters all over again.

How are the Bills not negotiating in good faith? By not giving in to the demands of Peters and/or Fred Jackson?

Evans and Stroud got extensions...why? Because they didn't play the hold out or complain card........if Peters had reported last yr and attended OTAs and training camp, he likely would have a new deal already. In Jackson's case, the Bills did what EVERY OTHER TEAM IN THE NFL DID, tender an EFA. It's not a slight, it's required by the CBA in order to retain exclusivity. Otherwise, Fred Jackson would have been an UFA. There is also absolutely NO requirement that a deal with Jackson needs to be in place by the draft. It can get done anytime before the deadline as NE39 referenced. Bills have none no wrong in either case

clumping platelets
04-13-2009, 12:24 AM
But they did screw up at Gate 1 at last year's MNF vs Browns and I'm still :mad:

trapezeus
04-13-2009, 12:26 AM
the fact they can't trust omon for those three games shows how god awful the front office is at scouting talent or how piss poor the coaches are to get young guys ready. either way, i just don't trust this front office/coaching staff.

Mitchell55
04-13-2009, 02:16 AM
Good point but if we give him the minimum that dont really matter much id take him over Sapp dude that was just here.

The thing with Sapp is hes a FB so even after Lynch is back we can still use him.

SeatownBillsFan21
04-13-2009, 03:51 AM
The thing with Sapp is hes a FB so even after Lynch is back we can still use him.
would we even use him as a FB and if so why even consider signing him?No point IMO.

TigerJ
04-13-2009, 10:12 AM
I would not object to signing him. The Bills are not going to draft a running backin the first 3 or 4 rounds just because Lynch has a 3 game suspension. Foster gives them a little insurance for the three games Lynch will miss. Looking over his NFL career at NFL.com, he's not going to make anyone forget the running back greats in Buffalo Bills history, but then at his point in free agency, you know your picking over the leftovers

Saratoga Slim
04-13-2009, 01:20 PM
The only reason that I hope we don't sign Foster will be because it would serve as proof that the staff doesn't have faith in Omon to even serve as a BACKUP for THREE GAMES.