PDA

View Full Version : Lessons Learned For Quarles On Trip To Japan

PA Season Ticket Holder
05-15-2003, 12:29 AM
TAMPA - Fresh off a five-day excursion to Japan, Bucs linebacker Shelton Quarles has some advise for his teammates as they prepare to travel to Tokyo for an exhibition game later this summer.
``Bring snacks,'' Quarles said Tuesday. ``The stuff they have there, I don't know what it is. I can't even describe it, really. It's just weird.''

The Bucs should also feel safe leaving behind any fear over catching the SARS virus, Quarles said.

``It's less of an issue there than it is here in the United States,'' Quarles said of severe acute respiratory syndrome, which world health officials say has been responsible for more than 550 deaths worldwide, including at least 250 in China. ``I only saw about 10 or 15 people wearing masks while I was there, and a lot of them were people getting off the plane coming back.''

Ah yes, the plane. That's what Quarles feared most about his trip to Tokyo - the 16-hour plane ride one must endure to get there.

The thought of being cramped up in a plane that long had Quarles worried, but he said an endless offering of food and movies kept him occupied.

``They serve you something like a seven-course meal, and they spread it out pretty well so they're always bringing you something to eat,'' he said. ``And everybody has their own little TV to watch, so I'd watch a little TV, think a little, watch a little TV. I stayed occupied.''

In retrospect, Quarles said he stayed too occupied. He said he was so busy watching TV and eating that he slept very little during the 13-hour New York to Tokyo leg.

``I didn't manage my time well on the plane,'' he said. ``I should have been sleeping because it's a 13-hour time difference and as soon as we landed, [the NFL] had me moving.

``I'd tell the guys, Rule No. 1 is sleep on the plane and get your body adjusted.''

Overall, Quarles said his trip was rewarding. Along with Marvin Jones of the Jets and several NFL officials, Quarles visited a U.S. Air Force base outside Tokyo, sampled several traditional Japanese dishes and also visited a fish market where he saw a 400- pound tuna.

http://bucs.tbo.com/bucs/MGAPG9OMOFD.html