PDA

View Full Version : NFL Netword Graded Our Last 5 Years of Drafting

The Juice Is Loose
04-12-2009, 09:48 AM
Lets look at how things have gone, and see if that's a fair grade. I'll only count rounds 1-4 because after 4, its hit and miss. Not that it isn't through the whole draft, but after 4 finding someone that makes an impact can be pretty rare. Unless your the Patriots.

2004:
Pick # 13 - Lee Evans...My Grade: A- Only Larry Fitz has outplayed Evans. However, due to Evans not showing the ability to be a consistant, every down type receiver, I can only give an A-. He played his best with Moulds here, IMO.

Pick # 22 - JP Losman...My Grade: F-- Given that we gave up our 05 1st rounder, which Dallas drafted Demarcus Ware with, and also only 2 years earlier had given up picks for Bledsoe...This is probably the worst first round pick ever by Buffalo. Esp given that we could have gotten a Jake Grove or Justin Smiley in Rnd 2 to protect Bledsoe with, this pick just makes me want to hurl.

Pick # 74 - Tim Anderson...My Grade: F- Tim Anderson was just terrible. I don't think anybody will argue with me on that. Donahoe did not know how to draft talent. Period. We chose Anderson over players such as Max Starks, Chris Cooley and Sean Locklear...All guys we could have used.

Pick # 109 Tim Euhus...My Grade: F- 14 receptions in 2 years. No longer in the NFL. Picked him over players such as Nathan Vasher and Jared Allen! WOW!

2004 overall grade: D-

2005:
We had no first round pick because of Losman. Had we not made the Losman mistake, and still decided to give up on Bledsoe after 04, we could have drafted Aaron Rodgers. Can't nit pick that, but can nit pick the actual picks we made. Lets look

Pick # 55 - Roscoe Parrish...My Grade: C- Look, I love Roscoe. But if we were going to throw JP in their, which we had decided before the draft, is a 150lb receiver really the answer? We chose Roscoe over the likes of Bryant McFadden, Oshiomogho Atogwe, and Justin Tuck.

Pick # 86 - Kevin Everett...My Grade: F+ I'm not going to talk bad about Everett...But had the guy done what we needed him to do, he wouldn't have been on the kick return team. He never made an impact and was always injurred. We chose him over Marion Barber.

Pick # 122 - Duke Preston...My Grade: C- Duke didn't get a fair shake here. Not that I think he would've been an impact player, but he was playing musical positions as long as he was here. I give a C- because of the amount of game time he saw. He's now gone. We chose him over Jason Brown, whom everybody wanted to sign a month ago.

2005 Overall Grade: C- If we trade Roscoe as rumored, we'll have 0/4 of our top 4 picks in 05 on our team. (I count the JP pick)

2006: Marv's first year. We needed DT's, OL, WR, QB, LB's, pretty much everything. We have the 9th overall pick, and we choose the cornerstone of every good franchise, Strong Safety?!?!?

Pick # 9 - Donte Whitner...My Grade: F+ Sorry. Two picks in 3 years isn't enough to validate taking him that high. Most had him in the 2nd round. A team rebuilding will never draft a freaking safety in the top ten. Marv must've been high. We chose him over Cutler, Ngata, Bunkley. Did anybody really think JP was going to be the man?

Pick #26 - John McCargo...My Grade: F- Again, sorry, but the dude hasn't made an impact. I believe in him as much as anybody, and I'm on the McCargo comeback banwagon in 09. But I can't give a grade based on what he might, but probably won't, do. We tried trading him last year and he failed a physical. Enough said. We could have had Nick Mangold, Mathias Kiwanuka or Marcus McNeill.

Pick # 70 - Ashton Youbody...My Grade: C- I believe in Youbody as well, but to date, he's done nothing. 3 passes defended in 3 years. (Hey, Whitner has six with 4 times the games played)...Always injurred. Probably won't make the team this year. Chose him over Jerious Norwood and Owen Daniels. (Tight end was a need here)

Pick # 105 - Ko Simpson...My Grade: C- He's worth millions...of laughs. Dude hasn't done anything. Can't hold off a wide receiver (George Wilson) from taking his spot on the roster. Won't be on the team in 09. Would be a worse grade, but he's played a lot for a 4th rounder.

06 overall grade: C- 3 defensive backs, I believe about 5 total turnovers in the 3 years they've been here. That's pretty bad.

2007: This year we traded McGahee and let Clements walk. Our needs were RB and CB. (Obviously several others, DT, DE, TE, OL, QB still.

Pick # 12 - Marshawn Lynch...My Grade B- Lynch is my favorite player. I'd give this a higher grade if we didn't all know Lynch was going to be our pick. There was no doubt for months in advance. I watched him drive the cart around at least 1000 times before the draft. I sang along with Bruce as we made the pick. However, until his production goes up and his trouble goes down, I can't go higher.

Pick # 34 - Paul Pozluszney...My Grade B+ If he didn't get injurred it'd be a better grade. Some people wanted this guy at 12. They showed great patience and poise to trade up when they did. I was proud of them for this. Poz could be our anchor at MLB for a long time.

Pick # 91 - Trent Edwards...My Grade A- To find a starting QB in Rnd 3 is an accomplishment. We knew the minute this happened that JP was done. One thing to think of, if JP was done after 06, how was he not done after 05? If we drafted Cutler, what could we have gotten here? Who knows.

Pick # 111 - Dwayne Wright...My Grade F-- Nothing like an RB that can't hold onto the football. I don't think he's in the league anymore. I heard that Ralph made us take him here. There weren't many other options, but if a guy only lasts 1 year on the roster, it's a bad, bad pick.

07 Overall Grade: B

2008:
Pick # 11 - Leodis McKelvin...My Grade A- I didn't want to go DB. We just did that 2 years ago. I hate when people go back on their own plans after a short period of time. (IE Bledsoe, Youbody) Leodis made some impact, and I think he'll be great. That's why I still give this a high grade in spite of the fact they are going against their own plan of Cover 2 not needed top flight corners. Could have had Ryan Clady. Which with Peters acting the way he is, would be great.

Pick # 41 - James Hardy...My Grade C- He didn't do much for us last year. But we drafted the guy to do jump balls in the red zone. We gave him 2 chances at it last season, and he got 2 td's. This franchise doesn't use players for what they even intend to. Its extremely frustrating for us to draft a guy "For the red zone" and in the 10 or 12 games he played, throw it to him twice in the red zone.

Pick # 71 Chris Ellis...My Grade F He doesn't look like an NFL caliber D end to me. I'll be surprised if he makes the team this year, because we will no doubt add a d end. Kelsay, Denney they'll beat him out. He looked horrible to me.

Pick # 114 - Reggie Corner....MY Grade B+ He over achieved. He'll beat out Youbody this year. Good pick for as late as it was.

08 Overall Grade: C+

So I guess the NFL network pretty much nailed our grade of a C. Kind of makes me worry about this draft. I've always been pretty much an optimist when it comes to the Bills. But this franchise's recent draft history has me scared.

I worked long on this. But go ahead and don't reply and give me negative reputation for it.

The Juice Is Loose
04-12-2009, 10:06 AM
Allllllllllll righty then.

The Juice Is Loose
04-12-2009, 10:07 AM
Can someone edit the darn title? I didn't see that I typoed Network. F!!!!!!!!

SabreEleven
04-12-2009, 10:25 AM
Thanks for making me sick on Easter.

The Juice Is Loose
04-12-2009, 11:36 AM
Sorry. I woke up at 9am thismorning, and this killed some time for me.

When I saw C on NFL Network, my initial reaction was "Wow that's not fair"

But when you look at it, C may be generous. 05 killed us.

If it were on ESPN I'm sure they'd give us a D-.

Raptor
04-12-2009, 01:55 PM
Pick # 22 - JP Losman...My Grade: F-- Given that we gave up our 05 1st rounder, which Dallas drafted Demarcus Ware with, and also only 2 years earlier had given up picks for Bledsoe...This is probably the worst first round pick ever by Buffalo. Esp given that we could have gotten a Jake Grove or Justin Smiley in Rnd 2 to protect Bledsoe with, this pick just makes me want to hurl.

They picked Spears with our pick not Ware

bigbub2352
04-12-2009, 02:20 PM
I would give them an F considering jury is still out on some of the more promising picks in those later drafts
We missed way way way to much on the early picks
neglected the Dline and Oline way to much
Ngata not being picked and we took Whitner will haunt my dreams forever

Lexwhat
04-12-2009, 02:27 PM
Dallas drafted DeMarcus Ware with their own 1st Rounder, not the one we gave them.

They took Marcus Spears with our 1st Rounder.

yordad
04-12-2009, 02:55 PM
I think 05 was an F+. To say Duke Preston was anything over an "F", and to say he didn't get a fair shake, is just wrong.

An "F" for Whitner is a little harsh.

I cannot see giving '08 anything but an "incomplete".

methos4ever
04-12-2009, 03:05 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/history

You can search by anything you would want to....

Want to say Dick Jauron sucks at drafting? Look at EVERY pick he's made as a HC.

Want to see what position Bill Walsh drafted in the 2nd round the most? Boom.

Want to see how many people in your high school went to the NFL? Done.

Enjoy.

The Juice Is Loose
04-12-2009, 03:06 PM
Dallas drafted DeMarcus Ware with their own 1st Rounder, not the one we gave them.

They took Marcus Spears with our 1st Rounder.

Honest mistake. I wouldn't mind Marcus Spears over Losman, either.

As far as Preston goes, he was a Donahoe pick, he stuck around, moved from C to G repeatedly, had a different system in almost each year. I'm not defending him, but he wasn't an F. The expectations were never that high.

And as far as the Whitner pick goes, for a team that was pretty much starting from scratch (Only players left from before that is pretty much Schobel, Kelsay, Evans, Reed...not many) to take a SS was just downright stupid.

Look at the stats. Every team has 2 starting safeties. Out of those, what? Three of them make an impact in a major way. I'd say Polamalu, Reed, Adrian Wilson. Maybe Bob Sanders. The point is, its one of the least important positions. Who were they to think they can lose Pat Williams and Sam Adams and just throw Tim Anderson in?!

Who were they to think that they could just roll with JP? Was there a person on EARTH that wanted to stick with him after 05? His play was downright TERRIBLE from day 1.

Ngata, Cutler, Bunkley, Santonio Holmes, Manny Lawson, Nick Mangold, Mathias Kiwanuka all would have been clear cut obvious choices over Whitner as a player to make your first pick of your regime.

It was a huge pick. We fired our GM, Head Coach and entire staff. In comes Marv, starting from scratch and we get Donte Freaking Whitner?!

In my heart of hearts I'd give it a Z but I didn't even get a grade that low in HS, so it wouldn't be fair to give one. Even if Whitner is a decent safety (I feel he's below average. To small to hurt someone, to dumb to take appropriate pursuit angles, to slow to cover man to man) you still can't tell me that any of those picks wouldn't be serving us better right now.

The pick is an F my man.

yordad
04-12-2009, 03:10 PM

As far as Preston goes, he was a Donahoe pick, he stuck around, moved from C to G repeatedly, had a different system in almost each year. I'm not defending him, but he wasn't an F. The expectations were never that high.

And as far as the Whitner pick goes, for a team that was pretty much starting from scratch (Only players left from before that is pretty much Schobel, Kelsay, Evans, Reed...not many) to take a SS was just downright stupid.

Look at the stats. Every team has 2 starting safeties. Out of those, what? Three of them make an impact in a major way. I'd say Polamalu, Reed, Adrian Wilson. Maybe Bob Sanders. The point is, its one of the least important positions. Who were they to think they can lose Pat Williams and Sam Adams and just throw Tim Anderson in?!

Who were they to think that they could just roll with JP? Was there a person on EARTH that wanted to stick with him after 05? His play was downright TERRIBLE from day 1.

Ngata, Cutler, Bunkley, Santonio Holmes, Manny Lawson, Nick Mangold, Mathias Kiwanuka all would have been clear cut obvious choices over Whitner as a player to make your first pick of your regime.

It was a huge pick. We fired our GM, Head Coach and entire staff. In comes Marv, starting from scratch and we get Donte Freaking Whitner?!

In my heart of hearts I'd give it a Z but I didn't even get a grade that low in HS, so it wouldn't be fair to give one. Even if Whitner is a decent safety (I feel he's below average. To small to hurt someone, to dumb to take appropriate pursuit angles, to slow to cover man to man) you still can't tell me that any of those picks wouldn't be serving us better right now.

The pick is an F my man.Well, which are you grading... the player at this point, or the decision at the time?

Lexwhat
04-12-2009, 05:25 PM

I agree that Spears > Losman. We had SO much invested in Losman too. He really set this team back 3 years, and was a loser from the start.

The thing about Duke Preston: Jim McNally loved the pick. I remember he said that Preston's potential was "out of this world." Preston looked to be a 7th Rounder on most draft boards at the time, but because of McNally, we drafted him much earlier. For whatever reason, Preston didn't pan out.

Don't even get me started on Whitner. I wanted NGATA really badly. I agree, the Whitner pick was not a good one for this franchise then, and in retrospect nothing has changed. He hasen't lived up to being the 8th overall pick.

Anyways, the problem is that the Bills have not really changed their approach in the past 6-7 years. They continue to draft poorly, and continue to ignore the O-Line. The D-Line has improved with the addition of Stroud, but we all know how terrible our pass rush is.

I hope we draft better this year. But I'm not optimistic.