PDA

View Full Version : Bucky holds nothing back

SabreEleven
04-12-2009, 01:13 PM
Gleason: Offseason needs more thunder than season had

The Sabres became a lifeless team that failed to compete and lacked mental toughness. That's a felony in this town.

By Bucky Gleason
<!-- Begin /PubSys/Common/Decisions/if_creditline_with_dash.comp -->NEWS SPORTS COLUMNIST

The offseason officially began at 6:28 p.m. Saturday, when the Sabres took a twirl in HSBC Arena and saluted fans who dragged themselves downtown knowing darned well the bang was hardly worth their buck. Nothing beats a warm-and-fuzzy goodbye in April, wouldn't you say?Sure enough, less than 15 minutes after Buffalo's easy, breezy 6-1 victory over Boston in the season finale, most of the players had slipped into the showers, slithered out the side door and made themselves scarce. Heaven forbid they would actually take responsibility for missing the playoffs in two straight years and five out of seven seasons

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/637127.html?imw=Y

The truth hurts sometimes...

Nighthawk
04-12-2009, 02:01 PM
Gleason: Offseason needs more thunder than season had

The Sabres became a lifeless team that failed to compete and lacked mental toughness. That's a felony in this town.

By Bucky Gleason
<!-- Begin /PubSys/Common/Decisions/if_creditline_with_dash.comp -->NEWS SPORTS COLUMNIST

The offseason officially began at 6:28 p.m. Saturday, when the Sabres took a twirl in HSBC Arena and saluted fans who dragged themselves downtown knowing darned well the bang was hardly worth their buck. Nothing beats a warm-and-fuzzy goodbye in April, wouldn't you say?Sure enough, less than 15 minutes after Buffalo's easy, breezy 6-1 victory over Boston in the season finale, most of the players had slipped into the showers, slithered out the side door and made themselves scarce. Heaven forbid they would actually take responsibility for missing the playoffs in two straight years and five out of seven seasons

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/637127.html?imw=Y

The truth hurts sometimes...

This is definitely true and some people can't accept it.

bigbub2352
04-12-2009, 02:09 PM
I gotta say i completely agree with that article, that sums up this awful season to a T
Changes need to be made they have had long enough
I hope RUff stays
but Darcy has sat to long on trades and free agency and made to many poor decions who we should sign and who we shouldnt]
THis was one of the most passionless teams i have watched in 20yrs or so of watching them

SabreEleven
04-12-2009, 02:14 PM
Too bad Quinn can't be fired.

Nighthawk
04-12-2009, 02:18 PM

I'm not a huge Quinn backer, but he does want to keep the team in Buffalo and that earns points in my book. Too bad he just won't keep his hands out of running the hockey side of the team and bring in a capable GM to put a championship team together.

SabreEleven
04-12-2009, 02:27 PM
I like Bucky suggesting Dunn as long as Dunn wears the headband while being the GM.

rbochan
04-12-2009, 02:46 PM
I'm not a huge Quinn backer, but he does want to keep the team in Buffalo and that earns points in my book...
I've grown tired of that "excuse". If Bettman won't let Phoenix or Nashville lose a team, he sure as hell wouldn't let Buffalo lose theirs.

Dr. Lecter
04-12-2009, 03:40 PM
I'm not a huge Quinn backer, but he does want to keep the team in Buffalo and that earns points in my book. Too bad he just won't keep his hands out of running the hockey side of the team and bring in a capable GM to put a championship team together.

How can you support Quinn at all????

He is the one (or Galisano) that shot down the Drury extension. How the hell can you defend him?

Reiger built the team that was championship caliber. Quinn, as much as anybody, is responsible for tearing it apart.

Dr. Lecter
04-12-2009, 03:44 PM
I did love this article despite his "Take away these wins and the Sabres record is worse" part.

Nighthawk
04-12-2009, 03:56 PM
How can you support Quinn at all????

He is the one (or Galisano) that shot down the Drury extension. How the hell can you defend him?

Reiger built the team that was championship caliber. Quinn, as much as anybody, is responsible for tearing it apart.

Dude you're on crack if you don't understand that Quinn is a key component of this team staying in Buffalo. I don't support him, but you backing Regier is laughable. I support the Sabres staying in Buffalo...I won't take that away from Quinn, even if he is a douchebag.

p.s. - I never defended him...especially not the Drury f**k up. Nice try at spinning what I said.

Dr. Lecter
04-12-2009, 04:58 PM
Dude you're on crack if you don't understand that Quinn is a key component of this team staying in Buffalo. I don't support him, but you backing Regier is laughable. I support the Sabres staying in Buffalo...I won't take that away from Quinn, even if he is a douchebag.

p.s. - I never defended him...especially not the Drury f**k up. Nice try at spinning what I said.

The reason I will defend Darcy (to a point) is that he did build the championship caliber team of 05/06 and 06/07. He also had a deal in place to keep one of the two key guys here for the long term.

And just keeping a team here is not good enough, if he keeps messing it up.

Nighthawk
04-12-2009, 06:45 PM
The reason I will defend Darcy (to a point) is that he did build the championship caliber team of 05/06 and 06/07. He also had a deal in place to keep one of the two key guys here for the long term.

And just keeping a team here is not good enough, if he keeps messing it up.

This I can agree with, but trying to say I defended Quinn was way off base.

OpIv37
04-12-2009, 07:17 PM

Why not? Does he have a contract?

Dr. Lecter
04-12-2009, 07:26 PM

He owns part of the team.

OpIv37
04-12-2009, 07:40 PM
He owns part of the team.

lecter is "didn't get the joke guy" tonight.

Dr. Lecter
04-12-2009, 07:46 PM
Hey, I went into work today and am kinda tired.

clumping platelets
04-12-2009, 10:19 PM
I thought that article was a :10:

SabreEleven
04-12-2009, 10:42 PM

I think I proved my point

Michael82
04-13-2009, 01:02 AM
Great article! :bf1: I also agree that if we do get rid of Lindy...we better get rid of Regier too. He's the bigger problem. The talent in Buffalo is really not that good. :ill:

Mitchell55
04-13-2009, 02:14 AM
Start by firing everyone but Patrick, our GL coach, and Ruff. Then trade Pomminville, Hecht, and Tallinder. Sign Bo!!!

SkateZilla
04-13-2009, 04:25 AM
Letting Briere and Drury walk the same offseason was THE dumbest move since edmonton traded Gretzky.

Nighthawk
04-13-2009, 06:46 AM
Great article! :bf1: I also agree that if we do get rid of Lindy...we better get rid of Regier too. He's the bigger problem. The talent in Buffalo is really not that good. :ill:

I agree...Regier is the bigger problem and the lack of talent on this team is a direct result of him. He needs to go...and soon.

SabreEleven
04-13-2009, 07:04 AM
Start by firing everyone but Patrick, our GL coach, and Ruff. Then trade Pomminville, Hecht, and Tallinder. Sign Bo!!!

He is NOT coming here. Somebody will pay him more money than the Sabres ever will. When was the last time the Sabres signed even a half-name of a FA? I can't even remember. Stop living in LW's world. If he EVER plays with the Sabres, I'll give you all of my ZB's...all of them.

Michael82
04-13-2009, 07:45 AM
Letting Briere and Drury walk the same offseason was THE dumbest move since edmonton traded Gretzky.
How many of us said this back then and continue to say it? I know that it's like beating a dead horse, over and over again...but it's the truth. The moment that we let BOTH Drury and Briere go and the moment that we chose to not every offer Briere a contract, was the end of the Stanley Cup playoff run and it turned the whole team backwards.... :ill:

Michael82
04-13-2009, 07:46 AM
He is NOT coming here. Somebody will pay him more money than the Sabres ever will. When was the last time the Sabres signed even a half-name of a FA? I can't even remember. Stop living in LW's world. If he EVER plays with the Sabres, I'll give you all of my ZB's...all of them.
Umm, The Sabres need to make a splash just as much as the Bills did, or they will struggle to sell out the arena. I can see them pulling a "T.O." type signing to get people excited again. Bouwmeester might be that signing.

chernobylwraiths
04-13-2009, 08:27 AM
I'm drawing a blank. Have the Sabres EVER signed a big name FA that wasn't already on their roster?

Michael82
04-13-2009, 08:36 AM
I'm drawing a blank. Have the Sabres EVER signed a big name FA that wasn't already on their roster?
Hmmm, that's a great question.....

Mski
04-13-2009, 08:47 AM
I'm drawing a blank. Have the Sabres EVER signed a big name FA that wasn't already on their roster?Mogilny?:idunno:

SabreEleven
04-13-2009, 09:14 AM
Didn't we draft Mogliny? plus he made his name with the 76 goals as a Sabres and was never the same after that year. So no...try again...

SabreEleven
04-13-2009, 09:15 AM

No, but all of sudden it's going to be different. Why would a big name FA want to sign with the Buffalo Sabres?

SabreEleven
04-13-2009, 09:16 AM

and both of these moves were done for the same reason: $$$

bigbub2352
04-13-2009, 09:53 AM
Biggest name Free Agent i could think of is when we resigned Mike Greir after we traded for him, as per actual Free Agents spacek who i think sucks is probably the biggest
we use the cheap bargain appraoch and land monster players like Ellis, and darche in hopes we find our next dixon ward

SabreEleven
04-13-2009, 09:54 AM
Mike Greir doesn't count (if you consider him a big name FA) because he was already on the roster.

chernobylwraiths
04-13-2009, 11:04 AM
Didn't we draft Mogliny? plus he made his name with the 76 goals as a Sabres and was never the same after that year. So no...try again...

Yes, he was drafted and spirited out of the Soviet Union by the Sabres. He had those 76 goals when we finally got Lafontaine.

chernobylwraiths
04-13-2009, 11:05 AM
No, but all of sudden it's going to be different. Why would a big name FA want to sign with the Buffalo Sabres?

The only reason a FA wants to go anywhere... :$::$::$::$::$:

Of course I don't see the Sabres throwing money at anyone.

chernobylwraiths
04-13-2009, 11:08 AM
Biggest name Free Agent i could think of is when we resigned Mike Greir after we traded for him, as per actual Free Agents spacek who i think sucks is probably the biggest
we use the cheap bargain appraoch and land monster players like Ellis, and darche in hopes we find our next dixon ward

That's right! We got Spacek for about 3.25 a year after we lost McKee. Now, I don't think we should have signed McKee to anything coming close to 4 mil a year, but I think we could have had him signed long term for about 2.5 per. And yes, he has been hurt a lot while in St Louis, but who's to say that would have happened here?

JD
04-13-2009, 12:09 PM
So golly really said he would eat the mic? lmfao

JD
04-13-2009, 12:15 PM
Umm, The Sabres need to make a splash just as much as the Bills did, or they will struggle to sell out the arena. I can see them pulling a "T.O." type signing to get people excited again. Bouwmeester might be that signing.

Boumeester is no superstar. If you want to make a splash, bring in Vinny.

Nighthawk
04-13-2009, 12:49 PM

I agree about Boumeester. To get anybody remotely excited about this team they'll need to bring in a bonafide superstar and remake this roster. This team was literally despised by many fans of this team. That is not easily fixed with just signing a solid defenseman.

Michael82
04-13-2009, 12:53 PM
hmm, Vinny would definitely spark interest!

ddaryl
04-13-2009, 02:35 PM
I don't care what Quinn does. The goal is a chamionship, and Quinn is very responsible for us heading in the worng direction. So is Reiger.

What's the point of even having a team if we are never going to really try and compete and win a championship.

QUINN AND REIGER MUST GO, they are responsible for this demise, and do jack **** to remedy it..

Mski
04-13-2009, 05:22 PM
the problem is Quinn is managing PARTNER of the team...... that means he's part owner.... he's not going to fire himself, no matterr how poorly he runs thing

JD
04-16-2009, 09:55 PM
I just hope Ruff doesnt get canned, because it's not him at all.

SabreEleven
04-18-2009, 05:13 PM
Bucky hits another one on the head...and I don't have to start a whole new thread to post it...go figure...

Should Ruff stay or should he go?

If players are no longer embracing his message and have stopped listening, Buffalo has the wrong players.

http://www.buffalonews.com/489/story/641028.html

Best line of the article right there.