PDA

View Full Version : Rochester Sportswriters

The Juice Is Loose
04-13-2009, 09:38 AM
PFT posted a link to Bob Matthews latest column. He said we shouldn't trade Peters, but we should pay him more than the $7.5 he has coming over the next two years.

No kidding Bob!

Do these guys not investigate the team they cover? Anybody who knows anything about the Bills whatsoever, knows that we have offered Peters several handsome raises since the close of 08.

Am I mistaken, or did we offer a deal averaging $8.5 a year?

Does Bob Matthews not realize that Peters is refusing contract offers?

Between Leo Roth, Matthews and Sal Maiora, they know about 1/2700th about the Bills as the average person on this board, or the BB.com message board knows about football.

If people wonder why newspapers are going out of business...There is a big clue. Sports writers that know less about the team they're writing about than the people they think are reading the column.

I could get hired by the D&C and do better Bills articles. Tomorrow.

ddaryl
04-13-2009, 09:43 AM
Am I mistaken, or did we offer a deal averaging $8.5 a year?

Does Bob Matthews not realize that Peters is refusing contract offers?

The calculation of 8.5 million per season was deduced from articles stating that the Bills and Peters were 3 million apart on their contract negotiations a few months back. It was also mentioned that Peters wanted to be the highest paid LT in the game.

The highest LT makes 11.5 per year, so subtracting the 3 million from that number pretty made many of us beleive the Bills were offering 8.5 mil per. HOWEVER supposedly new offers have been made since those discussions back at the very beginning of FA

sting32
04-13-2009, 10:14 AM
I agree Rochester sports writers are lazy and seem to lack football knowledge. They don't even cover their local Semi Pro football team the Monroe County Sting who won back to back national championships. Their a JOKE!!!!

justasportsfan
04-13-2009, 10:15 AM
Their a JOKE!!!!
all yours mercury.

The Juice Is Loose
04-13-2009, 11:59 AM
The only thing they get motivated about is the Monday articles after a loss. They trash the Bills for what they don't do. Like it takes much knowledge to watch a game a figure out why teams lose.

Bob Matthews is the laziest one. He doesn't even write articles, he posts bullets of random third grade sports observations. Basically a Bob Matthews article is a summary of 5 minutes spent on ESPN.com.

He's completely useless.

PromoTheRobot
04-13-2009, 01:11 PM
Leo Roth and Sal Mariona are pretty good Bills writers but Bob Matthews is just plain horrible. Maybe it's because he has his own radio show on WHAM that he thinks he's god's gift to sports journalism. It boggles my mind that someone with a total lack of command of the English language can make a living writing for newspapers and speaking on the radio.

PTR

BuffaloRanger
04-13-2009, 01:34 PM
I don't trust the Bills FO. And I don't trust speculation as to what contract offer the Bills made Peters. The story broke in February - that the Bills had made Peters an offer a month earlier. Seems strange that it would take that much time for it to come out in the press.

I'd just like to see a source that officially says "yes the Bills made an 8+ mil a year extension offer to Peters."

At the end of the day the Bills have followed the Sabres book on contract extensions and dicked this one up badly. Would 8 mil a year been enough to keep him happy last year at this time? We don't know for sure but it would have made him the highest paid player on the OL. That could have got him to camp on time.

But instead the Sabres, er, Bills waited for him to have another Pro-Bowl season before making him an offer. Now he wants to be appreciated and paid like Jordan Gross. Which of course will happen, but from another team.

The Bills continue to make holes in their OL and feel content in filling those holes with other teams backups. The Pats might have 10 sacks on Opening Night.

A little foresight by the Bills FO would have gone a long way.

FlyingDutchman
04-13-2009, 01:53 PM
I remember when I was like 12 years old thinking Mathews sucked. I didnt have an opinion on anything at that age, but for some reason i remember him sucking

HHURRICANE
04-13-2009, 02:45 PM
I don't trust the Bills FO. And I don't trust speculation as to what contract offer the Bills made Peters. The story broke in February - that the Bills had made Peters an offer a month earlier. Seems strange that it would take that much time for it to come out in the press.

I'd just like to see a source that officially says "yes the Bills made an 8+ mil a year extension offer to Peters."

At the end of the day the Bills have followed the Sabres book on contract extensions and dicked this one up badly. Would 8 mil a year been enough to keep him happy last year at this time? We don't know for sure but it would have made him the highest paid player on the OL. That could have got him to camp on time.

But instead the Sabres, er, Bills waited for him to have another Pro-Bowl season before making him an offer. Now he wants to be appreciated and paid like Jordan Gross. Which of course will happen, but from another team.

The Bills continue to make holes in their OL and feel content in filling those holes with other teams backups. The Pats might have 10 sacks on Opening Night.

A little foresight by the Bills FO would have gone a long way.

Great post.

Nice to see someone actually looking at the FO for this issue.

And yes, I am also very skeptical that there is an 8.5 million dollar per year offer on the table.

justasportsfan
04-13-2009, 02:45 PM
Leo Roth and Sal Mariona are pretty good Bills writers but Bob Matthews is just plain horrible.
PTR
:up:

Yasgur's Farm
04-13-2009, 06:14 PM
I agree Rochester sports writers are lazy and seem to lack football knowledge. They don't even cover their local Semi Pro football team the Monroe County Sting who won back to back national championships. Their a JOKE!!!!You all should pay attention here... Back-to-back national semi pro championships right in our own backyard... AND NO COVERAGE AT ALL!

These guys ball their asses off on their own dime... Isn't that more along the line of the heart we're looking for from the Millionaire players in the NFL?

THE END OF ALL DAYS
04-13-2009, 10:55 PM
Mathews is an icon and good at what he does... he's NOT a sport writer, hes a columnist and opinion writer. there is a diff.

are any of you dolts from rochester? LOL Im goofin with ya callin ya dolts so dont get yer panties in a twist :)

PromoTheRobot
04-13-2009, 10:59 PM
Mathews is an icon and good at what he does... he's NOT a sport writer, hes a columnist and opinion writer. there is a diff.

are any of you dolts from rochester? LOL Im goofin with ya callin ya dolts so dont get yer panties in a twist :)

What does he do exactly? Lead his radio show with all the latest horse racing, soccer and golf news before talking about the Bills?

PTR