PDA

View Full Version : Things you can bet on and things that might surprise you.

HHURRICANE
04-13-2009, 09:42 AM
Things you can bet on:

1) If Peters is getting traded it's now or never. There is no doubt that the Bills will receive offers for Peters and I don't believe Clayton for a minute that the Bills aren't entertaining them. If it doesn't happen before the draft than Peters will be a Bill with a new deal and I think Peters knows this.

2) If TO plays well through the first half of the season I guarantee the Bills will give him an additional two year deal. He'll be too much of a fan favorite and too much of an asset to Edwards for the front office to let him walk after one season.

3) Yobouty will turn out to be our best player on defense behind Stroud. This kid was on the verge of great things last year and he was one of the harder hitters on the field. For those who argue that McKelvin will be that guy I would say "I hope so" but be prepared for great picks and great burns at the same time.

Don't be surprised if:

1) Fred Jackson stays the starter for the whole year. Thread to follow on this topic.

2) TO is allowed to be one of the Captains of this team. I'm not sure he'd be eligible this year but I guarantee based on above that he would be in year two.

3) That if we go DE in thie first that Schobel, not Kelsay, get's benched at the halfway point.

4) That Jauron will not get fired mid-term no matter how bad the record.

Dr. Lecter
04-13-2009, 09:50 AM
The Bills can't extend TO until the offseason and after his deal expires.

seanbillsfan
04-13-2009, 09:51 AM
Great post, i agree with everything you just said. Youboty shocked the s**t out of me at the beginning of last season, it seemed like he was the only one that could make a play at times

cocamide
04-13-2009, 09:59 AM
I just worry about Youboty's size. Hopefully he can make it a full season without a serious injury.

HHURRICANE
04-13-2009, 10:00 AM
The Bills can't extend TO until the offseason and after his deal expires.

I know that as a vested player TO has certain rights etc. but why can't he sign an extended contract in the middle of the season? I'm not saying your wrong it's just that I've never heard of that before.

Dr. Lecter
04-13-2009, 10:02 AM
I know that as a vested player TO has certain rights etc. but why can't he sign an extended contract in the middle of the season? I'm not saying your wrong it's just that I've never heard of that before.

Teams can only sign players to a contract once a year. This is intended to stop a team from re-working deals multiple times in a year.

Since TO signed his deal this year, he can't sign another deal until the next offseason.

justasportsfan
04-13-2009, 10:03 AM
Things you can bet on:

1) If Peters is getting traded it's now or never. There is no doubt that the Bills will receive offers for Peters and I don't believe Clayton for a minute that the Bills aren't entertaining them. If it doesn't happen before the draft than Peters will be a Bill with a new deal and I think Peters knows this.

2) If TO plays well through the first half of the season I guarantee the Bills will give him an additional two year deal. He'll be too much of a fan favorite and too much of an asset to Edwards for the front office to let him walk after one season.

3) Yobouty will turn out to be our best player on defense behind Stroud. This kid was on the verge of great things last year and he was one of the harder hitters on the field. For those who argue that McKelvin will be that guy I would say "I hope so" but be prepared for great picks and great burns at the same time.

All possibilities but I wouldn't bet on those happening.

SabreEleven
04-13-2009, 10:07 AM
Teams can only sign players to a contract once a year. This is intended to stop a team from re-working deals multiple times in a year.

Since TO signed his deal this year, he can't sign another deal until the next offseason.

Plus TO is NOT going to resign with the Bills. Buffalo is just a one-year stop for him so he can show that he has changed. He will mind his P & Q's and attempt to get a 3 to 4 year deal for 8 to 9 million with a real team next year. I seriously doubt TO will be in a Bills uni next year.

Ickybaluky
04-13-2009, 10:21 AM

You are getting confused with restructuring an existing deal. If you restructure a players contract, you can't restructure it again for one full year. You can't change an existing contract more than once per calendar year.

However, you can sign a contract extension at any time. There is no limit, as it is considered a new contract. There are limits in terms of changing the current year compensation, and the 30% rule is in effect this season because next year is currently uncapped.

HHURRICANE
04-13-2009, 10:40 AM
You are getting confused with restructuring an existing deal. If you restructure a players contract, you can't restructure it again for one full year. You can't change an existing contract more than once per calendar year.

However, you can sign a contract extension at any time. There is no limit, as it is considered a new contract. There are limits in terms of changing the current year compensation, and the 30% rule is in effect this season because next year is currently uncapped.

Thanks.

I seem to recall more than a few guys getting new deals during the season after signing a one year deal.

EDS
04-13-2009, 10:48 AM
Things you can bet on:

Don't be surprised if:

1) Fred Jackson stays the starter for the whole year. Thread to follow on this topic.

2) TO is allowed to be one of the Captains of this team. I'm not sure he'd be eligible this year but I guarantee based on above that he would be in year two.

3) That if we go DE in thie first that Schobel, not Kelsay, get's benched at the halfway point.

I pretty much disagree with everything except the Peters point (i.e., if the Bills FO has a brain they will sign him (or at least work out the parameters of a deal) before the draft or trade him before the draft).

I highly doubt TO sees a second year in a Bills uni.

kid mickey
04-13-2009, 11:07 AM
T.O will be a Bill in 2010. Why would he want to continue a journeyman route. That decreases his chances of ever getting a Super Bowl ring. You stay on one team and contribute to that team. More chances of getting to the Big game unless you are going to the Patirots, Steelers, or Indy. Any team in the NFC can get to the Superbowl. Except Rams, 49ers, or Detroit. Last time I checked a lot of teams aren't interested in him. If he doesn't play for the Bills in 2010, its cause he retired.

HHURRICANE
04-13-2009, 11:18 AM
Not sure why so many people believe that a 36 year old WR is going to sign a better deal outside of Buffalo?

Plus I think he will be so well recieved here that I'm not sure he'd want to leave.

What kind of long term deal do you really think another team is going to sign him to?

SabreEleven
04-13-2009, 11:22 AM
T.O will be a Bill in 2010. Why would he want to continue a journeyman route. That decreases his chances of ever getting a Super Bowl ring. You stay on one team and contribute to that team. More chances of getting to the Big game unless you are going to the Patirots, Steelers, or Indy. Any team in the NFC can get to the Superbowl. Except Rams, 49ers, or Detroit. Last time I checked a lot of teams aren't interested in him. If he doesn't play for the Bills in 2010, its cause he retired.

Staying with the Bills is going to increase his chances? He'd be better off retiring...

Mitchell55
04-13-2009, 12:27 PM
Things you can bet on:

Don't be surprised if:

I agree with the 1st and hope so, same with the 2nd, 3rd but I hope its Chris Ellis just for the sake of DE. Hell no on Fred, see why in your thread, I doubt the 2nd with the continuity thing, I mean, Stroud wasnt even one. I kind of agree with the last.

HAMMER
04-13-2009, 05:38 PM
Not sure why so many people believe that a 36 year old WR is going to sign a better deal outside of Buffalo?

Plus I think he will be so well recieved here that I'm not sure he'd want to leave.

What kind of long term deal do you really think another team is going to sign him to?

We'll see how well received he is after fans booooo the snot out of him after he drops a potential game winning TD.

SquishDaFish
04-13-2009, 06:16 PM
Fred Jackson will not start over Lynch when Lynch is off suspension.

BillsWin
04-13-2009, 06:34 PM
Things you can bet on:

Peters is a fat lump and doesnt deserve to wear a Bills uniform. But then again, that uniform has become a joke over years of mediocracy. So he stays.

I've been saying this since he was signed. I think he performs well and then we try and keep him for a year or two.

I agree he will be one of the best on the team. He learned a thing called "tackling" last year. go figure...

Don't be surprised if:

I think he'll get more time, but Lynch will start. pending injury or further issues.

This I don't agree with... I think he has to prove himself first.

If he isn't up to 100% then most likely... I'd like to see Ellis to be honest...

agreed. regretfully. :catfight:

LtFinFan66
04-13-2009, 07:31 PM
no way TO extends

ParanoidAndroid
04-13-2009, 08:49 PM
I think TO will be gone as well. Hardy should be the heir apparent, even though people are already labelling him a "bust" after his first season.