Which teams have helped themselves the most in free agency?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ddaryl
    Everything I post is sexual inuendo
    • Jan 2005

Which teams have helped themselves the most in free agency?

I'm shocked by this one myself, but I know it will fuel a nice couple of page debate... and that should waste one or 2 days and get us closer to the draft.

However it is all based on Owens, who is going ot help us but does he really put us over the top ?

The Jets and the Patriots are also listed

Free agency isn’t over, but the buzz surrounding it is.
    What better time than now, then, with preparation for the NFL draft in overdrive, to take a look at the teams that appear to have helped themselves more than any other in free agency. We posed the question to coaches and evaluators around the league, and here are the teams who caught their attention. All respondents participated on the condition of
    anonymity.

Bills WR Terrell Owens

1. Buffalo Bills — In most circumstances, the NFL’s 22nd-ranked passing offense signing a receiver who has averaged 81 catches and about 1,200 yards and a dozen scores since 2000 would be met with universal acclaim. But Terrell Owens is not your average go-to receiver, and it is no secret why he was on the market: The Cowboys, after imploding last season, decided that Owens was too polarizing a presence in their locker room. So the Bills’ addition of Owens, 35, is not without risk, and not without its detractors. However, our panel saw Owens as a risk worth taking in light of the Bills’ unique circumstances. The Bills have not made the postseason since 1999, and their offense’s distinct lack of punch was one of their downfalls last season. What’s more, the franchise’s future in Buffalo is a source of considerable speculation. Take all these factors into account, and you can understand why Owens interested the Bills so much. “Whether you like him or not, he makes plays,” one personnel man said. “He’s going to bring ticket sales, jersey sales, help them financially.” Said another panelist: “I think T.O. is really going to help Buffalo, to be honest with you.” The Bills also were praised for signing former Panthers C Geoff Hangartner.

2. New York Giants

3. Washington Redskins

4. Denver Broncos

5. New York Jets

6. New England Patriots
    Last edited by ddaryl; 04-13-2009, 10:58 AM.

• Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Re: Which teams have helped themselves the most in free agency?

Originally posted by ddaryl
    http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW...nflist2402.htm

I'm shocked by this one myself, but I know it will fuel a nice couple of page debate... and that should waste one or 2 days and get us closer to the draft.

However it is all based on Owens, who is going ot help us but does he really put us over the top ?

The Jets and the Patriots are also listed
    We still need some more help but I thought we did as much as we could. Cato June & Crowell were not the answers at LB anymore, so I see us drafting one. One more Guard and maybe a pass rushing DE although they still need to see what they have in Ellis.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

Before the Owens signining, I would have put our order of need as:

1. Interior OL
      2. DE
      3. OLB
      4. WR
      5. TE

While Owens is a great player (when he keeps his attitude in check), he filled a position that was at best 4th on our priority list. The Bills still have 3 other major holes, several minor holes, and lack depth. Plus, we have a young, inexperienced QB and no one to protect him.

So, it's pure ignorance to say the Bills helped themselves the most in FA because of TO and an average center.
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

Also, he overrates the Patriots' FA signings. Galloway is washed up and NE doesn't even need him. Their other receivers are plenty good enough. And Springs just sucks. He's well past his prime.
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• ddaryl
          Everything I post is sexual inuendo
          • Jan 2005

Yeah.. I agree I don't se Galloway being much of an addition for the Patriots.

not that the Patriots needed much help though

Comment

Working...
          X