PDA

View Full Version : The Bills had the best Free Agency

theanswer74
04-13-2009, 11:18 AM
1. Buffalo Bills — In most circumstances, the NFL’s 22nd-ranked passing offense signing a receiver who has averaged 81 catches and about 1,200 yards and a dozen scores since 2000 would be met with universal acclaim. But Terrell Owens is not your average go-to receiver, and it is no secret why he was on the market: The Cowboys, after imploding last season, decided that Owens was too polarizing a presence in their locker room. So the Bills’ addition of Owens, 35, is not without risk, and not without its detractors. However, our panel saw Owens as a risk worth taking in light of the Bills’ unique circumstances. The Bills have not made the postseason since 1999, and their offense’s distinct lack of punch was one of their downfalls last season. What’s more, the franchise’s future in Buffalo is a source of considerable speculation. Take all these factors into account, and you can understand why Owens interested the Bills so much. “Whether you like him or not, he makes plays,” one personnel man said. “He’s going to bring ticket sales, jersey sales, help them financially.” Said another panelist: “I think T.O. is really going to help Buffalo, to be honest with you.” The Bills also were praised for signing former Panthers C Geoff Hangartner.http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/Features/NFList/2009/nflist2402.htm

WeAreArthurMoates
04-13-2009, 11:28 AM
Hell ya, unlike many here I think we've had a great offseason considering the circumstances. We finally got a playmaker, and a good young versital center. We obviously needed to upgrade the TE, DE but seeing there was no one out there it was impossible.

ddaryl
04-13-2009, 11:30 AM
http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/Features/NFList/2009/nflist2402.htm

I was 1st LOL!!! :cgal:

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=173056

EDS
04-13-2009, 11:47 AM
Hell ya, unlike many here I think we've had a great offseason considering the circumstances. We finally got a playmaker, and a good young versital center. We obviously needed to upgrade the TE, DE but seeing there was no one out there it was impossible.

I hope the Bills win despite TO. It is one thing to draft an SOB and put up with his quirks after the fact, but it is another to take on one of the most toxic players in the league.

theanswer74
04-13-2009, 12:19 PM
I was 1st LOL!!! :cgal:

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=173056

Sorry, I didnt see it.

DrGraves
04-13-2009, 12:41 PM
Morons. We got T.O. which is great. And we got a backup OL who we are putting into a starting role, and backup CB.

We lost alot of our own good FAs too...

ddaryl
04-13-2009, 12:42 PM
Morons. We got T.O. which is great. And we got a backup OL who we are putting into a starting role, and backup CB.

yeah I found the whole article very debateable... Our FA basically sucked... and we are in worse shape then when we started IMO

BillsOwnAll
04-13-2009, 03:32 PM

If we did SOOO BAD. Ma,ed 5 teams that had a better FA then us. and explain why.

Mahdi
04-13-2009, 03:41 PM
yeah I found the whole article very debateable... Our FA basically sucked... and we are in worse shape then when we started IMO
Compared to the rest of the league our FA was great.

The addition of TO alone will have a huge impact on the offense where Buffalo struggled last year. That's more than you can ask for from a FA period.

I dont even like the idea of building through FA. Name the last big name FA Indianapolis or Pittsburgh signed.

The best FA teams are usually the ones that sit it out.

B-DON
04-13-2009, 04:40 PM

How do you figure? Is it even possible to be happy as a bills fan? I swear people like you just say **** to say it.

theanswer74
04-13-2009, 04:58 PM
Some of you guys are ridiculous, you complain about everything. The guy did research and people around the league thought we had the best free agency.

Why would any complain about that? Maybe its because the complainers have been complaining all offseason and they dont want to look like fools.

If people around the NFL said we had the worst free agency this thread would be 20 pages long with people busting on our front office.

patmoran2006
04-13-2009, 06:40 PM
how could the Giants have not had the best free agency? (on paper at least)

Jeff1220
04-13-2009, 06:46 PM
Sometimes I think Florio is on crack. We signed Owens, which is an awesome signing, but...this team still has no starting guard, a marginal upgrade at center, a slight upgrade at b/u QB, possibly losing a tackle, no upgrade to Ellison, no upgrade to DE, and very questionable depth on both lines, especially O.
I know it's still the off season, but some major things have to happen to show me that this is a successful FA in more ways than just buying a new toy that'll increase ticket sales and media coverage.

The Jokeman
04-13-2009, 06:52 PM
how could the Giants have not had the best free agency? (on paper at least)
Losing Plaxico Burress and Derrick Ward on offense is going to hurt them a lot, toss in they haven't re-signed Amani Toomer it could get even uglier. So while it looks like shored up their defense their offense might really fall off big time. I think the Cardinals have done pretty well for themselves so long they don't trade Boldin of course losing Berry might hurt but they might be able to find a pass rusher in the draft to replace him.

theanswer74
04-13-2009, 06:53 PM
Sometimes I think Florio is on crack. We signed Owens, which is an awesome signing, but...this team still has no starting guard, a marginal upgrade at center, a slight upgrade at b/u QB, possibly losing a tackle, no upgrade to Ellison, no upgrade to DE, and very questionable depth on both lines, especially O.
I know it's still the off season, but some major things have to happen to show me that this is a successful FA in more ways than just buying a new toy that'll increase ticket sales and media coverage.

This isnt Pro Football Talk. Its Pro Football Weekly.

What better time than now, then, with preparation for the NFL draft in overdrive, to take a look at the teams that appear to have helped themselves more than any other in free agency. We posed the question to coaches and evaluators around the league, and here are the teams who caught their attention. All respondents participated on the condition of anonymity.

yordad
04-13-2009, 06:54 PM
If we did SOOO BAD. Ma,ed 5 teams that had a better FA then us. and explain why.I assume you mean "name"(?). That shouldn't be too hard.....

2. New York Giants — An already stout defense got more formidable with the additions of DTs Chris Canty (who played end in Dallas’ 3-4 scheme) and Rocky Bernard. And don’t overlook the addition of speedy LB Michael Boley, who racked up 330 tackles in four seasons with the Falcons. “I thought Atlanta would never let him get out of there,” an evaluator said. Boley is only 223 pounds, but he is very fast, and he is likely to be kept clear of blockers playing behind an absolutely loaded Giants defensive line. While the defending NFC East champs did lose RB Derrick Ward to Tampa Bay and S James Butler to St. Louis, the Giants have capable replacements at both positions, with Ahmad Bradshaw expected to get more work at tailback and 2008 first-round pick Kenny Phillips slated to take over for Butler.
3. Washington Redskins — It is a rite of spring: Redskins owner Daniel Snyder is praised for opening his wallet — and then everyone waits to see if this is the free-agent class that makes all the difference for his franchise. Yes, the Redskins paid heavily — up to nine figures heavily — for DT Albert Haynesworth, but they desperately needed defensive line help, and Haynesworth is capable of making the entire front four better. The re-signing of CB DeAngelo Hall could also pay off if he plays like he did in his seven-game stint with Washington in ’08. The Redskins also signed former Bills OG Derrick Dockery, who was an effective player in his first stint in Washington.
4. Denver Broncos — No team was more active early in free agency as new head coach Josh McDaniels and general manager Brian Xanders remade the roster. The most noteworthy signing was the addition of Eagles S Brian Dawkins, but opinions vary on how much Dawkins has left to give at age 35. At the very least, the Broncos appear to have bolstered their depth, which was a glaring weakness last season as they cried out for the finish line in the AFC West race.
5. New York Jets — They have been praised for the signing of Ravens ILB Bart Scott, who’s in the prime of his career and ready to lead his own defense. The addition of his instinctive Baltimore teammate, S Jim Leonhard, will help a secondary that struggled at times a season ago.
6. New England Patriots — They have bolstered several positions. Replacing La*Mont Jordan with Fred Taylor at running back should be an upgrade, and veterans Shawn Springs and Leigh Bodden give them more options at cornerback. While speed at receiver did not appear to be a glaring weakness, the signing of ex-Buccaneers WR Joey Galloway is a low-risk, potentially high-reward gamble if he has not lost much speed to age. And if they somehow end up with Julius Peppers or Jason Taylor, bump them up the list.

Jeff1220
04-13-2009, 07:00 PM
Don't forget the Bears - added the franchise QB they've been missing for about 15-20 years.

Mike13
04-13-2009, 07:40 PM
I think Denver or the Giants had better FA signings, the Bills came off desperate yet clever when they signed TO. but the writters logic seems off, signing one player(that doesnt really adress a need) doesn't make you a big winner in Free Agency.

theanswer74
04-13-2009, 07:45 PM
Don't forget the Bears - added the franchise QB they've been missing for about 15-20 years.

If Im reading this right, its just about free agents.

ParanoidAndroid
04-13-2009, 07:47 PM

I would agree if they didn't give up so much to get him.

Also, Jeff, I think TO is just a little more than a toy who is going to increase revenue. He will increase revenue, that is true, but wherever he goes, he also scores TDs. Isn't that a good thing? I keep forgetting how good he is, too.... because of all the other hype.

ParanoidAndroid
04-13-2009, 07:52 PM
I think Denver or the Giants had better FA signings, the Bills came off desperate yet clever when they signed TO. but the writters logic seems off, signing one player(that doesnt really adress a need) doesn't make you a big winner in Free Agency.

You could very well be right about Denver and the NYG. However, we needed to make the offense better. I would say TO addresses a huge need.

ParanoidAndroid
04-13-2009, 08:05 PM
While it is okay to question whether or not Hangartner is the answer, I disagree with the assumption that since he was a backup who we are "forcing" into a starting role, he is therefore not starting material.

The truth is, Hangartner was solid at center for Carolina last year when Kalil went down. He is also young. Ryan Kalil has quietly become a very good center and maybe a future pro-bowler and I would bet there aren't more than 6 or 8 centers in the league who would challenge him for his job. Many starters in this league were once back-ups. Freddie Jackson is a backup on our own team and I am sure he could be an effective starter for someone.

Canadian'eh!
04-14-2009, 07:39 AM
Crowell, Greer, Dockery, Preston, Fowler, Losman >> McKinney, Hangartner, Florence, Fitzpatrick

(though other than Greer and Crowell, no one on that list is exactly impressive.)

So we add TO for 1 year and tha makes us #1?

riiight.

Mike13
04-14-2009, 07:26 PM
You could very well be right about Denver and the NYG. However, we needed to make the offense better. I would say TO addresses a huge need.

You guys seemed pretty set at WR to me.