PDA

View Full Version : Does one minor incident describe Whittner's

Bmax
04-13-2009, 09:35 PM
Character ? I say no.... God willing Donte will have a long life to be the man he has been called to be ..I'm Glad nobody Judged my complete character at 23.

I think the media is jut blowing this think up way too much...Typical WGR radio afternoon guys are clueless and remain annoying to anyone who listens for more than five min at a time. We all know that they just want an audience and will say anything to get it...

Shoop has little or no credibility any more... His reason or should i say one of his reasons for not liking the NFL is that guys are getting arrested too much thus he can't like the sport. So what sport does he love Baseball a sport filled with cheaters?..

The last time i checked their were baseball players getting locked up for drunk driving ...you name it...sure the NFL has more because of the nature of the sport.. It's a violent sport filled with men who are at their best when they are very physical.

To simply not like a sport for this reason is just stupid...After all the last time i checked each team had 53 players...I don't think the bills have had 53 players arrested this season...

Just once i would like the media to dig a little deeper and talk about the players who are good on the field and off. Lee Evans...Fred Jackson....Mitchell Etc.

Whittner may not be an all pro on the field ..but he has been an all -pro off the field to this moment ..I'm willing to give him a 2nd chance to make amends and not trash his character at this point.

Bmax

billogic99
04-13-2009, 09:46 PM
I too was a bit rowdy at 23, but I didn't have near as much to lose. It seems to me those in the NFL getting in trouble with the law are doing so because they think they are above the law and don't have to follow the rules like everyone else. I realize at 23 there is still some growing up to do, especially for the male gender. But how stupid do you nhave to be to jepordize millions of dollars in poetential income?

Seriouslsy, why don't you see Trent Edwards in trouble? Why don't you see LT in trouble? They are in the exact same boat, why aren't they in trouble? Obviously it isn't that hard to find something contructive to do with all that extra money if you really want to.

IMO, thi is just another reason this coaching staff is dropping the ball. They need to recognize the potential trouble players on this team and make sure they stay out of trouble. Do something, don't just continue to allow your players to end up on the wrong side of the law. Threaten to cut people even if it hurts to follow through with it, mkae these guys man up of find another place to play.

zone
04-14-2009, 07:00 AM
Seriously though what did he do, try to remove his cousin from a dangerous situation?

Listen if I thought my cousin was in danger of getting shot I would do whatever it takes to get him out of there. Do you honestly think that a game is more important than a family members life?

What he did in no way makes him a bad person, in fact in my mind it makes him a good person trying to stop a bad thing.

How do you think he would have felt if his cousin was killed and he did nothing to try to stop it even though he knew the guys had guns?

In my opinion there is no way the commissioner gives Whitner any sort of punishment for this incident.

Jan Reimers
04-14-2009, 07:39 AM
One incident never defines a person's character. But Donte, in this particular instance, was wrong in defying direct orders from the police, who were on the scene to break up the fight and prevent others from joining in to make it worse.

He deserves the charges filed against him.

OpIv37
04-14-2009, 08:34 AM
In addition, Whitner hit his GF a few years ago but the charges got dropped. This isn't exactly an isolated incident.

And BTW, I'm really sick of the "we all did stupid things when we were young" excuse. To some degree, it's true, but there's a line. My friends and I all did stupid things when we were young, but I can only think of one friend that actually got arrested, and none of our antics involved firearms or people getting hit by cars or fights with cops.

kgun12
04-14-2009, 10:56 AM
Again we defend stupid people doing stupid things. At 23 I was 5 years in the AirForce, married for 2 years and a newborn. No there were no stupid acts. That's the problem today, we make excusses for stupid act in the name of being young. Like I said with the Lynch problems I will say again here. Rather then condone and make excusses, throw these people out of the NFL. Like Lynch there was past history for trouble. Playing in the NFL is a privilege not a right. If you make examples out of some of these players, maybe the next person will think twice before committing an act of stupidity. Yes I know here comes the "grt off your high horse" comment, but ALL of these people know right from wrong, really they do! However there are no consequences for their actions so why bother. People like those here will make excusses and some idiot owner will pick them up if cut. Society and sports need to stop making excusses and start making examples out of them.

sdbillsfan2
04-14-2009, 11:11 AM
One incident never defines a person's character. But Donte, in this particular instance, was wrong in defying direct orders from the police, who were on the scene to break up the fight and prevent others from joining in to make it worse.

He deserves the charges filed against him.

I'm not sure I agree. Ask OJ's ex Nicole if his temper wasn't a defining factor of his character even before he totally lost his mind. OJ had a history of domestic abuse long before he starting playing with sharp objects.

Does one minor incident describe Whittner? I guess my definition of minor must be different. This doesn't seem minor to me.

OpIv37
04-14-2009, 11:20 AM
seriously, what use is this guy?

He's not even that good when he's on the field, and now he's jeopardizing his ability to even be there for us.

Another bad draft choice by this FO and another Bills player who defines mediocrity.

kid mickey
04-14-2009, 04:34 PM
I like Donte Whitner. I think all you Mr. Cleans here need to take a good look in the mirror. You judge other people for their actions, but you don't know them as a person. People make mistakes. People make poor decisions in given situations. Are you telling me that if a family member of yours was in a situation like that you wouldn't try to help him out? What type of character do you have? I'd say its pretty sorry if you wouldn't do everything in your power to help that person out. If the police are on the scene thats great, but at the same time I'd wanna know for myself that my family member isn't in some serious *****. Am I defending Whitner. Yes I am. I would probably do the same thing. I actually care. So if that makes me viewed as a pi$$ poor person with bad character so be it. I'd rather follow my heart than follow what some Mr. Cleans thought of me.

OpIv37
04-14-2009, 04:37 PM
I like Donte Whitner. I think all you Mr. Cleans here need to take a good look in the mirror. You judge other people for their actions, but you don't know them as a person. People make mistakes. People make poor decisions in given situations. Are you telling me that if a family member of yours was in a situation like that you wouldn't try to help him out? What type of character do you have? I'd say its pretty sorry if you wouldn't do everything in your power to help that person out. If the police are on the scene thats great, but at the same time I'd wanna know for myself that my family member isn't in some serious *****. Am I defending Whitner. Yes I am. I would probably do the same thing. I actually care. So if that makes me viewed as a pi$$ poor person with bad character so be it. I'd rather follow my heart than follow what some Mr. Cleans thought of me.

I've made lots of mistakes in my life.

I've NEVER punched a girl or fought with the cops.

I really don't care if he's a good character or a bad character. I care that he has a commitment to this team. People are depending on him, and his actions are keeping him from meeting that commitment because he will get suspended. So, **** him for being stupid and not taking his responsibilities seriously.

sdbillsfan2
04-14-2009, 04:50 PM
quote:
I think all you Mr. Cleans here need to take a good look in the mirror. You judge other people for their actions, but you don't know them as a person. "

Sorry you feel that way .. I myself never claimed to be any kind of "Mr Clean" as you put it. We were replying to a question that was asked and we stated honestly how we felt.
Ask me no questions , I'll tell you no lies !

Are the people who disagree wrong ? hell no ! it would be a crappy forum if we all took the same points of view right down the line. I like the diversity of opinions from some of the most knowledgeable fans around. I had my mind changed about things around here many times. Look back at some of my posts. I was a JP fan back in the day. But ......by listening to the other side of things , it actually made more sense, he's not worth much in the NFL

BTW ..If a family member got his as* tazered and ended up in jail, I'd probably do what my old man would have done . Tell the idiot to sit there awhile and figure out how to clear this mess up. Out on the streets ,he has to play by the same rules you and I do. When he's on the field, he's got to play by NFL and team rules. You don't follow those rules ,the flag gets thrown and the fingers get pointed , plain and simple. in this case , Jail baby.
This posted wasn't intended to be an attack ,so don't read anything else into it other then it's MY opinion.

DMBcrew36
04-14-2009, 05:21 PM
Guys - it's just a local radio station and a local radio show. Everything they discuss is mostly just opinion. When you're on for 4 hours a day, often talking about the same things over and over, you're bound to say something dumb once and a while.

I know that its hypocritical when they then crucify and blast callers when they call and say something dumb or say something that they disagree with, but that's the nature of the beast. The whole point of the show is to attract listeners - whether it be by controversy, personal attacks, or what have you.

Basically, I listen to the Howard Simon show and Schopp and Bulldog show with a grain of salt. They're human and they're going to say something that is dumb or off base on occasion - but they also make good points and the show is usually entertaining either way (unless they're talking about Lost or American Idol or some other ******ed topic).

kid mickey
04-15-2009, 12:03 AM
I value every persons opinion. My stance is to Whitner. I am sure you never punched your girlfriend and neither have I. Yet, I feel that is his personal business. The woman could've went on and pressed charges but she didn't. Does that make it right. No it doesn't, but there have been no reported incidents about that to date so maybe he cleaned up his act in that department. I am willing to give him the benefit of doubt because he is a leader on this team and as a young man he will make some poor decisions. Do the same poor decisions he make mirror your poor decisions maybe not yours, but it may mirror others. I am not saying what he did was the correct way to go about things, but I am saying not everybody can show self control in a situation like that. I know I probably couldn't I don't mean to offend anyone, but Mr. Cleans is the best way I can put it. If you don't like being labled a Mr. Clean, try not to rip a guys head off and judge him. He deserves his due process and if he is found guilty so be it. I think this incident should have never happened like everybody else, but I think I would rather support the man than throw him under the bus.

sdbillsfan2
04-15-2009, 12:15 AM
Mickey , I think your still missing MY point.
The question was :
Does one minor incident describe Whittner's character ?

I gave MY answer.
Sorry , but like it or not we are judged by our actions. I really don't think the cops singled him out . So that leads me to believe that he probably did something illegal and it warranted him being arrested .
Things like this have been proven to be locker room distractions. Ask the Bengals!

Bmax
04-15-2009, 01:44 AM
Again we defend stupid people doing stupid things. At 23 I was 5 years in the AirForce, married for 2 years and a newborn. No there were no stupid acts. That's the problem today, we make excusses for stupid act in the name of being young. Like I said with the Lynch problems I will say again here. Rather then condone and make excusses, throw these people out of the NFL. Like Lynch there was past history for trouble. Playing in the NFL is a privilege not a right. If you make examples out of some of these players, maybe the next person will think twice before committing an act of stupidity. Yes I know here comes the "grt off your high horse" comment, but ALL of these people know right from wrong, really they do! However there are no consequences for their actions so why bother. People like those here will make excusses and some idiot owner will pick them up if cut. Society and sports need to stop making excusses and start making examples out of them.

Nobody is making any excuses for Whittner. The question was does one minor incident describe his character ? When some people get arrested it doesn't mean they were stupid or even doing stupid things. It all depends on the situation...

I really don't think you are talking about kicking Whittner out of the league for a simple charge that he was arrested for. Lynch is another story...His actions are not worth defending.He could have got a year out of the NFL with a life time ban being possible. The Whittner incident is simply being blown way out of proportion.

Really no consequences for their actions...I beg to differ .. they may not be to your liking but most players have seen fair punishment under the law . Maybe the NFL should step up their game and deal with players right away but i think Goodell has made an attempt to be more proactive in dealing with this problem in the league.

I'm just willing to give the man another chance to get it right .. Forgivness is one of todays forgotten gestures . Too often we don't extend it to many people. Some one gave me a second chance long ago and i made the most of it . I just hope we can do that for more people in this world when they deserve it . I think Whittner is one of those that does. No questions asked !!!!

Bmax

jmb1099
04-15-2009, 06:14 AM

Here is my problem with this kind of thinking. You try to make the point that your actions don't define you and thereby separate yourself from any responsibility or accountability for those actions. Simple matter of fact is that we do own our actions and the consequences that come with them and yes they do define who we are. I don't say this because I believe myself to be a Mr. Clean, quite the opposite. I am a sinner saved by grace. So rather than believe myself to be a Mr. Clean, I have come to terms with the fact that I have thought, done, and said some awful things and there are always consequences. I believe I'm forgiven, but this doesn't give me or anyone else license to believe we are separated from our actions. The young people we work with in the inner city all have a saying when caught red handed "that's not me" they say it over and over again like they're trying to convince themselves because they can't take the weight of their actions. I get it... I've been in that boat and more than likely will be again before my life is over. But it is you, these are your actions, this is what you've done and its what you've done in the past and it does define you. But it doesn't have to be this way....

I want Whitner to succeed, I want him to be everything we hoped he would be when we drafted him. Before any of this can happen though, he has to come to terms with who he is so he can make a decision about who he wants to be.