PDA

View Full Version : A Positive Spin On The Peters Situation

The Juice Is Loose
04-14-2009, 11:29 AM
Guys I'm at work and I'm BOOOORED. So here is my positive spin on the whole Peters situation.

I say we give him the Anquan Boldin treatment. No extension. No trade. Shutup and play.

The positive could be, maybe it motivates him to be as dominant as ever. I'm sure that the bond Boldin has with his teammates is just as strong as Peters has. Peters won't flake out on his teammates, just the management.

I say we just forget about renegotiating. We have him for two years. I say we just tell him we aren't trading you. We aren't cutting you. We aren't extending you.

A contract is a contract. Put up or shut up.

This way, no matter what happens, it helps us.

If he blows, his value goes down and we just let him go after 2 years. That route he eventually signs a lousy contract with some other team.

If he kicks butt, its good for us! We can ride out having a dominant LT and the price of a backup, and after his 2 years are up, we can franchise and trade him.

Does Julius Peppers or Anquan Boldin have any leverage? No.

Does Peters? No.

In all 3 cases if the teams just stand strong, all three players will be in uniform for their team week 1.

The other option could be that eventually a contending team becomes extremely desperate for a LT. At that point we can probably rip them off for Peters.

My only point is this: I feel the Bills will come out on top in this story. Just like with Clements. He wanted a new deal, we said no. We rode him out for a solid contract year and let him get rich (and underperform) elsewhere.

We HOLD THE CARDS FELLAS!!!

cocamide
04-14-2009, 11:35 AM
I feel the same way, except for the idea that he cares about his teammates.

HAMMER
04-14-2009, 11:36 AM
You are correct.

ddaryl
04-14-2009, 12:25 PM
I concur.. time to play hardball.

Draft his eventual or immediate replacement and let it play out from there.

Not the ideal situation but to let this SOB hold the entire team hostage or to force the team to trade him is rediculous.

As the situation stands now Peters will lose millions if he does not sign and the Bills refuse to deal him. That would be the stupidest move going.

Ya have to wonder that when Peters switched agents if Parker has a clause that says if you sign with him you will have to do as your told or pay Parkers agency a certain amount if he decides to sign a contract that Parker does not approve. Therefore Peters is trying to make up for big money he owes Parker one way or another ????

just trying to make sense of his non-sensical position

SeatownBillsFan21
04-14-2009, 12:32 PM
Put up or shut up.We do hold the cards and would love him as a Bill but i think the FO may be past that if we net a 1st rounder i think hes a goner

HHURRICANE
04-14-2009, 12:39 PM
I think everyone is just keeps missing the point here.

We don't have the luxury at 7-9 to draft a replacement for Peters while he "rots" when we have huge holes at DE, LB, TE and LG to be filled.

Peters, if signed, is an asset to the team. Make him an asset not a distratction and move on towards the goal of a championship. He makes us better. He's one of the top guys at one of the most important positions in football and he crurrently resides on our roster.

Are you guys interested in playoffs or rebuilding because if Peters leaves we are rebuilding.

Walker-Butler-Hangartner-Chambers-Rookie is not taking us to the playoffs. Maybe you folks should pull the tape of Walker playing a season a LT in Oakland before you profess that we'll be just fine without Peters.

cocamide
04-14-2009, 12:43 PM

We don't have the luxury at 7-9 to draft a replacement for Peters while he "rots" when we have huge holes at DE, LB, TE and LG to be filled.

Peters, if signed, is an asset to the team. Make him an asset not a distratction and move on towards the goal of a championship. He makes us better. He's one of the top guys at one of the most important positions in football and he crurrently resides on our roster.

Are you guys interested in playoffs or rebuilding because if Peters leaves we are rebuilding.

Walker-Butler-Hangartner-Chambers-Rookie is not taking us to the playoffs. Maybe you folks should pull the tape of Walker playing a season a LT in Oakland before you profess that we'll be just fine without Peters.

I don't see your point. What do you mean 'while he rots'? He's not holding out through the regular season.

cocamide
04-14-2009, 12:43 PM
I should also say, that I'm only thinking about this year.

HHURRICANE
04-14-2009, 12:45 PM
I don't see your point. What do you mean 'while he rots'? He's not holding out through the regular season.

Some have posted that he will which I agree makes no sense.

I guess he could if we doesn't get a new deal.

cocamide
04-14-2009, 12:47 PM
Some have posted that he will which I agree makes no sense.

I guess he could if we doesn't get a new deal.

If that's the case, then you're right. We would have a big problem on our hands. I just don't see how he could hold out and lose all that money. Peters just isn't that smart, or he just really wants out of Buffalo.

The Juice Is Loose
04-14-2009, 01:14 PM
The Cardinals went to the Super Bowl with Mike Gandy and a guy who was a "distraction" in Anquan Boldin.

You can't just make definitive statements like that because every year, teams that are "certainly" not making the playoffs, make the playoffs.

I was saying to tell Peters to finish his contract. If he holds out/dogs it, he won't get signed by other teams for big $ either.

His only option will be play and play well, just like Boldin's was last year, and will be again this year.

I'm also tired of how negative you are. We don't have a "huge hole" at D end. Last year our best guy missed most of the season. I've never been a huge Schobel fan but he proves me wrong more than he doesn't. I could see him getting 10+ sacks so don't call it a "huge hole"

Tight end also is not a "huge hole". Tight end is a lot like strong safety. In the extremely rare scenario where you get a true super star tight end, they are huge. But on 28 out of 32 teams in the league tight end is an after thought.

LB is not a "huge hole". I don't think Ellison is our long term answer, but at this point has 2 years of starting experience and our defense, despite what people keep saying, was not the reason for our 7-9 season. We held teams to low scores and lost, several times. The Bills lost 3 games in which teams scored less than 17. In 2 games vs New England the Bills gave up a total of 33 points. "Huge hole"? I don't think so.

I for one, as a person who watches every single game, am not as doom and gloom as everybody else is here and all these "huge holes. Lets face it, if we get a decent guard he'll be as good or better than Dockery. Peters, regardles of contract situation can't play worse than he did last year. Hangartner, could he be worse than Fowler/Preston? I think not. Brad Butler and Langston in another year together, should improve.

Pus TO. I'd say so far, this team has gone from a 7-9 team to a 9-7 team with the moves we've made so far. After adding a couple more good players in the draft, the continued development of guys like Poz and McKelvin, that is going to drastically improve this team.

But frankly, HHurricane, between your posts yesterday and today, I'm under the assumption that your HHigh because, frankly, most of them off base and ******ed.

Fred Jackson gonna start all year! LOL!

HHURRICANE
04-14-2009, 01:21 PM
The Cardinals went to the Super Bowl with Mike Gandy and a guy who was a "distraction" in Anquan Boldin.

You can't just make definitive statements like that because every year, teams that are "certainly" not making the playoffs, make the playoffs.

Okay, you don't think the Cardinals are slightly better than us?

We don't have the luxury of just losing good players when you finish 7-9 for the last 3 years.

FlyingDutchman
04-14-2009, 01:23 PM

We don't have the luxury of just losing good players when you finish 7-9 for the last 3 years.

youre missing the reality of what is going on with the Peters situation.

The Juice Is Loose
04-14-2009, 01:32 PM

NO KIDDING! THAT'S WHY, FOR THE 3RD TIME NOW, I AM SAYING TO MAKE PETERS PLAY OUT HIS CONTRACT!

If he holds out, he loses money. If he holds out past week 10 we get him an extra year.

His only choice will be to play his best. That only helps us. I don't see the need to extend him, period.

Make him play out the 2 years, franchise him, and trade him in 2011.

The Juice Is Loose
04-14-2009, 01:35 PM
And honestly, as far as Arizone being "better than us"...I guess. Last year. They can't run the ball better than us or play defense better than us.

My point was, they had a journeyman, former scrub Buffalo Bill, Mike Gandy, whom we all hated, starting at LT.

You don't necessarily need a pro bowler at LT. How many super bowls did Willie Roaf go to?

The entire harmony of the team determines the outcome. Not just one player or two.

New Ro's Greatest
04-14-2009, 01:37 PM
No trade him now and get the best value you will ever get for the guy! When we let him go in 2 years we would still have to replace him right? Why not trade him and get good picks in return and get a very good LT. GO BILLS:anvil:

Throne Logic
04-14-2009, 03:27 PM

If he repeats last year's plan, he'll hold out until September and then suck for a dozen weeks.

Especially when you consider we have an entirely new C and LG, that would be a bad plan for going into the 2009 season.

Throne Logic
04-14-2009, 03:28 PM
No trade him now and get the best value you will ever get for the guy! When we let him go in 2 years we would still have to replace him right? Why not trade him and get good picks in return and get a very good LT. GO BILLS:anvil:

I'm really not seeing any other team out there willing to both give up something reasonable to get Peters and then offer him a long term deal that makes him the top payed LT in the game. Just don't see that happening.

bflojohn
04-14-2009, 03:45 PM
Throne logic, you've got it down to a "T"!! His expectations are unrealistic, so therein lies the rub. Jason Peters is fooling himself with an agent that whispers in his ear that he is simply the best Left Tackle in Professional Football. W-R-O-N-G!! But essentially, that's the sticking point, and the Bills are right in their assessment, not the other way around. If this is to play out whereby Jason holds to those beliefs, this will NEVER rectify itself, and the Bills should NOT trade him, but play him for what he has right now which is two FULL years in a BIlls uniform. By the way, he CAN be replaced, the Bills have a two year head start on that front to figure it all out. They will, IMO!!

ParanoidAndroid
04-14-2009, 04:23 PM
No one has even held out from anything so far this year. Either someone offers the Bills a reasonable trade and they pull the trigger, or they go into the draft as if he will be a Bill. There really is no other choice for the franchise.
Peters can't force anything with 2 years left on his contract.
This is one of those problems that only time can fix. You can tell everyone here is bored because this argument is almost pointless.

Buddo
04-14-2009, 05:16 PM
No one has even held out from anything so far this year. Either someone offers the Bills a reasonable trade and they pull the trigger, or they go into the draft as if he will be a Bill. There really is no other choice for the franchise.
Peters can't force anything with 2 years left on his contract.
This is one of those problems that only time can fix. You can tell everyone here is bored because this argument is almost pointless.

Actually, the last thing you want to do, is go into the draft as if he will be a Bill.
What needs to be done, is to actually go into the draft on the assumption that Peters will not be of any use to the team.
Do that, and not only do you cover yourself for the coming season, but you immediately put the pressure back where it now belongs, on Peters.
ATM, only one side is playing 'hardball', it's now time for the Bills to.
An interesting aspect of going after a tackle in the draft, is the fact that the likely prospects for the position when we actually do pick @ #11, both can, and I believe have, play guard. (Andre Smith and Oher). This means that if Peters has an epiphany of sense, and re-signs with the Bills, we already have a guy we can use at guard, instead of tackle. While it may not be the favoured draft strategy, it actually isn't going to hurt us that badly, as we almost certainly would draft a guard somewhere anyway.