PDA

View Full Version : The first impression

ghz in pittsburgh
04-14-2009, 12:05 PM
On The Herd today, the guy was talking about instant decision statistics. A guy gives an average of 8 seconds to decide whether or not (try to) date a girl. American Idol - 2 or 3 notes can tell whether he or she has it. Greg Odem (sp?) will never lead a team in scoring based on the first few impressions.

After thinking about it for a few seconds, I found it holds a lot of water for me. Now apply it to football, don't you think a lot of us like Trent Edwards because his first NFL series against the all mighty Patriots impressed the hell out of us (just like Flutie did against the Chargers in his first year in Buffalo)?

On the flip side, how many of you really felt about Losman when he started his MFL career against the same mighty Patriots in those dying seconds?

I admit I was excited to see Lee Evans flying down the field when he started. And even though my first notice of McKelvin last year was when he got beated by the Cards for a touchdown, I was quite impressed by his speed and makeup speed for a (relatively) close coverage.

Of course first impressions are not always right, particularly for athletes because they must have done something to get them into the positions they are. I was fairly impressed by Keith Ellison in his first game, thinking we might've found a gem in late rounds, but he turns out not to be.

For the record on last year's draft class, I have positive impressions of McKelvin, Corner, Johnson; I don't like my first look of Hardy, Ellis, and Omon. I don't have an opinion on others, including Fine who actually played.

SabreEleven
04-14-2009, 12:07 PM
What?

T-Long
04-14-2009, 12:08 PM
Umm....?

Nighthawk
04-14-2009, 12:10 PM
Huh?

Tatonka
04-14-2009, 12:12 PM
the first impression of hardy was a game winning TD..

SeatownBillsFan21
04-14-2009, 12:29 PM
Yeah 1st impressions mean nothing in the NFL lots of players have 1 good play in them.

DrGraves
04-14-2009, 12:36 PM
Oden. It's Oden. How can you be a sports fan and not know that?

cocamide
04-14-2009, 12:37 PM
Oden. It's Oden. How can you be a sports fan and not know that?

Maybe your first impression was wrong and he's just a football fan. Not a fan of all sports.

raphael120
04-14-2009, 01:26 PM
My first impression of Dick Jauron was that he was a gutless bum and that turned out to be pretty much correct.

kid mickey
04-14-2009, 04:50 PM
WTF. My first impression is that Peters is going to be traded.