I still do not understand why 40 time is so important for a lineman.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ebenezer
    Give me a minute...
    • Jul 2002

I still do not understand why 40 time is so important for a lineman.

I would be happy with Ayers but look at Kiper's review.:

11. Buffalo Bills (7-9)

Robert Ayers, DE, Tennessee: Ayers enjoyed a solid season in the SEC and then was one of the standouts during Senior Bowl week. He ran the 40 in 4.80 at the combine, though, which could give some teams pause.

Remind me how far the DE has to go to get to the QB? I could understand timing a 10 yard or maybe even a 20 yard dash. How fast does he get off a snap? How many steps to the QB? But really, a 40? If he has to go 40 yards to the QB or running back then the defense is in deep trouble.

Thoughts?

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.
  • DrGraves
    • Mar 2008

Re: I still do not understand why 40 time is so important for a lineman.

that .2-.3 seconds is the difference in hitting the QB's arm and causing a fumble or getting the pass off and moving the chains

Comment

• Ed
      • Sep 2002

40 times are overrated for everyone. Not just DE's.

I think they do have other shorter drills though too that measure burst and agility like that shuttle drill.

Comment

• Ebenezer
        Give me a minute...
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by DrGraves
        that .2-.3 seconds is the difference in hitting the QB's arm and causing a fumble or getting the pass off and moving the chains
        but how do they know that .2-.3 seconds will really be there when they have a T or two blockers in front of them...what is the difference in acceleration?? maybe some guys are better at the 20-30 or 30-40 yard stretch of the run but it makes their 40 time more impressive.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• TigerJ
          • Jul 2002

Obviously, the 40 yard time is not nearly so important for linemen as is the 10 yard time. For some reason, the 10 yard time is not published nearly as much as the 40 time. More oftenn than not, a good 40 time corresponds to a good 10 yard time, but there are enough exceptions that the people who publish these things really should do fans a favor and publish the ten yard time in stead of or in addition to the 40 time. In Maybin's case, I understand he is not nearly as explosive as Maybin as estimated visually by people who compare game film, or as measured by his 10 yard time. However, he makes up for a lot of that with great hands and strength. That is, he's a natural at shedding blockers.
          I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• ddaryl
            Everything I post is sexual inuendo
            • Jan 2005

the first 10 yds of the 40yd dash is important, and so is the 20 yd shuddle for lineman. Both show initial burst and can help determine if a player has that step.. especially at DE

Comment

• mayotm
              • Jul 2003

Right, because most of the time a DE has sprinted 40 yards before hitting the QB.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                • Jul 2003

How do you explain guys like Jared Allen and Aaron Kampman? Both ran in the 4.8's coming out of college, yet they are two of the best pass rushers in the NFL.

There are a lot of factors that make up a good DE, speed just being one of them. Short area burst is more important. Strength at the point of attack and the ability to anchor against the run. Use of hands and pass rush moves.

Besides, Ayers had a great combine from what I have read. He displayed tremendous athletic ability and versatility. He ran a 4.77, which isn't a bad time for an end his size.

Comment

• DrGraves
                  • Mar 2008

obviously those .2-.3 seconds in the 40 are not the ultimate moments in time you are getting to the qb. the point is you have to get to him fast, and once you shed that tackle you have to get to him as quick as possible.

Comment

• trapezeus
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Oct 2004

well for the bills its important. after the DE takes the great circle route and misses on the RB delayed handoff, he'll have to sprint 20 yards to catch up on the play and make the tackle.

For other teams, i agree, it doesn't matter.

Comment

• Raptor
                      • Jan 2009

Shows overall athletic ability

Comment

• Cntrygal
                        Visually stunning but camera-shy.
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by trapezeus
                        well for the bills its important. after the DE takes the great circle route and misses on the RB delayed handoff, he'll have to sprint 20 yards to catch up on the play and make the tackle.

For other teams, i agree, it doesn't matter.
                        My immediate thought.
                        Originally posted by notacon
                        The biggest thing we learned from the Bills is that they are a resilient bunch and did what they had to do to win instead of past years where they fold like a cheap lawn chair.

For news, articles and other "stuff"... BillsZone.com

Comment

Working...
                        X