PDA

View Full Version : what was/is your best buffalo bills memory?

kscdogbillsfan1221
04-14-2009, 01:17 PM
mine was bittersweet.

My older brother had gotten tickets to a game on January 3rd in orchard park which was going to be my first bills game. On December 31, I got ill and on January 1st, i went to the hospital to have my appendix removed. I was 11 years old at the time and i asked my mother if I could still go to the Bills game. She told me I couldn't because I would still be in the hospital. To make matters worse, being a Rochester native, the game was blacked out. That game was the playoff game against the Oilers where we made our 32 point comeback in 1993.

The Juice Is Loose
04-14-2009, 01:30 PM
Bills vs Dolphins. December, 2002.

This is the snow game where Drew Bledsoe had 3 consecutive passes total about 200 yards and 3 tds.

Peerless Price had a huge TD and hugged Jim Kelly in the end zone.

Then the blizzard started and the stadium sang "Let it Snow"

I was in the Navy, stationed in NJ so I had to go to a bar to watch it. By chance, I was the ONLY PERSON in the bar. I had the big screen all to myself and all the beer I could drink!

Best game ever!

The next week we choked against the Chargers.

PromoTheRobot
04-14-2009, 01:52 PM
1990 Broncos @ Bills. 3 Buffalo TD's in 77 seconds.

PTR

Buckets
04-14-2009, 01:53 PM
When the stadium would break out in a rendition of "Another one bites the dust"

OpIv37
04-14-2009, 01:55 PM
The final AFC Championship game against the Chiefs. The Bills knocked Montana out of the game (although that moment was bittersweet because I'm a ND fan too), and then we all did the Tomahawk Chop to mock KC. Good times.

TedMock
04-14-2009, 01:56 PM
1990 Conference Championship. Buffalo 51, LA Raiders 3. I love a good game, but this beatdown was the most fun I'd ever had at a Bills. Obviously, a huge part of that was due to the fact that we were actually going to our first Superbowl. So much fun.

ServoBillieves
04-14-2009, 02:18 PM
Best Game I've ever been to? Bills/Jags in 06. When 'Sco took it to the house on that punt return and made that nasty toe tap catch with 10 seconds left? You could hear a pin drop when Rian was about to kick the field goal at the end.

Most memorable? Panthers beating us at home in '05. Not because of the game, the game was terrible, but I got to go on the field beforehand, met Jim Kelly, and got to sit in an executive box. So... most memorable field visit/food at a game...

bigbub2352
04-14-2009, 02:25 PM
I think it was Fred Smerlas who blocked the feild goal attempt against the Jets to win our 1st AFC east division title mite have been 1988
i was like 8 or 9yrs old

Mski

This is the snow game where Drew Bledsoe had 3 consecutive passes total about 200 yards and 3 tds.

I was in the Navy, stationed in NJ so I had to go to a bar to watch it. By chance, I was the ONLY PERSON in the bar. I had the big screen all to myself and all the beer I could drink!

Best game ever!

wasnt that the game ricky williams ran for over 200 yrds? i was at that game, and had a field pass for the game... great time

but my most memorable game was the home opener blowout against NE.. it was my first game as a season ticket holder :up:

TacklingDummy
Last years 2nd Jet game. Jason Peters missing a block on Abram Elam that led to JP Losman getting crushed from behind. Virtually ending both their careers in a Bills uniform.

GreedoII
04-14-2009, 02:26 PM
51-3..............

Greatest Bills moment ever....

Historian
04-14-2009, 02:32 PM
1. September 7, 1980. Defeated the fish 17-7 in the afternoon...saw Bob Seger at night.

2. November 18, 1984. Opening play Greg Bell goes for 85 yards to defeat Dallas 14-3.

3. September 19, 1971. Bills lost their opener to Dallas 49-37 in a downpour, but it was the first game with my Uncle who had just got back from Vietnam.

4. November 29, 1987. Bills 27, Fish 0. Nuff said!

5. September 5, 1970. Bills 7 Falcons 10. First live Bills game for me.

schubbard
04-14-2009, 02:33 PM
My choices are rather limited, but I was at Dan Marino's last game in Buffalo. He was out hurt, but we absolutely wiped the floor with them. I believe our RB (A Smith, I think...) had more yards than the entire Dolphin team. It was really, really cold, and I was sitting next to one of the flag poles at the top of the stadium. I think the crowd screamed the entire game to keep from freezing. The crown energy was amazing... and it was great to see Marino lose yet again to the Bills...

ServoBillieves
04-14-2009, 02:37 PM
wasnt that the game ricky williams ran for over 200 yrds? i was at that game, and had a field pass for the game... great time

but my most memorable game was the home opener blowout against NE.. it was my first game as a season ticket holder :up:

That was the last game I went to with my sister before she passed. She was a DIE HARD.

trapezeus
04-14-2009, 02:44 PM
1990 Conference Championship. Buffalo 51, LA Raiders 3. I love a good game, but this beatdown was the most fun I'd ever had at a Bills. Obviously, a huge part of that was due to the fact that we were actually going to our first Superbowl. So much fun.

yeah, i remember being so skeptical that the bills could get to the superbowl and then by halftime calling all my friends and being like, "this is about to happen. what are we going to do?" that was perhaps the happiest i've ever been as a bills fan. we were dominant, we were destined, we had respect, we had awesome players in their prime and genuinely unjaded about the superbowl.

it will be hard for any bills team to really pass the 90 bills unless they win the whole thing.

VeggieMan14
04-14-2009, 02:52 PM
my first bills game in 2006 against the packers... half the stadium were packers fans and they all left with about two minutes left... i remember this older guy at the top of the entrance yellin "thank you for supporting our Buffalo Bills"

TacklingDummy
04-14-2009, 02:55 PM
51-3..............

Greatest Bills moment ever....

The only game I have ever been to.

Damn was it cold.

Bruce is Loose
04-14-2009, 03:02 PM
Huddled around the radio for the blacked out comeback game - giving my family periodic updates (since they gave up) until eventually we were all surrounding the radio and jumping up and down as it ended :)

BuffaloBillsStampede
04-14-2009, 04:36 PM
I have had season tix for 5 years now, but my memory was without a doubt the Dolphins game in 2002 when everyone sang Let It Snow. That is what Buffalo football is all about in my mind. What a blast that day was!

The Juice Is Loose
04-14-2009, 04:46 PM
My grandfather had a giant antenna on this house...so we were there for Great Comeback of 03.

It was fuzzy, but we had it. I remember who i saw it with, where I sat, and I remember Beebe stepping out of bounds.

I think the other most memorable one for me would probably be my first game ever. I believe it was in 91. We got creamed by the Dolphins. Louis Oliver intercepted Jim Kelly and returned it 103 yards for a TD. From right to left on the home team side.

SabreEleven
04-14-2009, 04:53 PM
1. September 7, 1980. Defeated the fish 17-7 in the afternoon...saw Bob Seger at night.

2. November 18, 1984. Opening play Greg Bell goes for 85 yards to defeat Dallas 14-3.

3. September 19, 1971. Bills lost their opener to Dallas 49-37 in a downpour, but it was the first game with my Uncle who had just got back from Vietnam.

4. November 29, 1987. Bills 27, Fish 0. Nuff said!

5. September 5, 1970. Bills 7 Falcons 10. First live Bills game for me.

I guess Historian isn't just a Username.

AndreReed83
04-14-2009, 05:10 PM

Best game ever!

This is my favorite memory as well. The game happened to be televised here in Oklahoma. I'll never forget some of the circus catches in that game, a fat Bills player (I can't remember his name now) recorvering a fumble and rumbling, bumbling down the field, Jay Fiedler coming in the game off an injury and instantly tossing a pick, and of course, Jimbo yelling from the sidelines in the blinding snow.

Not to nitpick however, the Bills lost to the Patriots next week, 27-17, not the Chargers. Buffalo beat SD the week after that loss on a very late Travis Henry touchdown. I also remember this game well , because the Bills had given up huge running totals that year. Tomlinson appeared on The Best Damn Sports Show Period and the hosts got him to start bragging that he was going to break the single game rushing record and such against the Bills the next week. Yeah, that turned out well; go make some more soup commercials, jackass.

Mudflap1
04-14-2009, 05:30 PM
My dad went to the AFL Championship game with the famous "Keith Lincoln hit" where the Bills beat the Chargers, so that would probably be tops for him.

My favorite memories are a blur between 1990-1996. I was only 10 when the 1990 season happened, so while I remember quite a bit, I'd have to lean towards something that happened later, when I understood the significance more.

Call me crazy, but one great moment was halftime of Super Bowl XXVIII. The Bills were winning that one at halftime against the hated Cowboys! It was all downhill after that, but it was at least exciting to have hope for half of the game.

Another great moment was my first game in person, which unfortunately was Jim Kelly's last game and the loss to Jacksonville on wild card weekend. Great game though. The Bills got screwed. Kelly didn't fumble at the end.

I loved the K.C. AFC Championship Game, that was a very satisfying win. There was also a Raiders home playoff game (big snow game) during the four year run where I believe the Bills were losing at halftime, but rallied back in style in the second half.

Some of the Flutie years were pretty exciting, once they got on a roll. Too bad they fell short in the playoffs.

For this decade, definitely the New England opening day beatdown takes the cake.

kscdogbillsfan1221
04-14-2009, 05:49 PM
My grandfather had a giant antenna on this house...so we were there for Great Comeback of 03.

It was fuzzy, but we had it. I remember who i saw it with, where I sat, and I remember Beebe stepping out of bounds.

I think the other most memorable one for me would probably be my first game ever. I believe it was in 91. We got creamed by the Dolphins. Louis Oliver intercepted Jim Kelly and returned it 103 yards for a TD. From right to left on the home team side.

i'm pretty sure that game was in 92. i could be mistaken though. but other runner up moments for me include the january 1991 and january 1994 afc championship game blowouts, and the game against SD this past year which I attended. outside of the fact that there was no power, even in the bathrooms for a time, it felt great @ that game. almost like we were back in the early 1990s. it's great to see all these reflective positive replies. I started the thread because I wanted to see us all talk about how great it is to be a fan of my absolute favorite franchise in all of sports, instead of how we're constantly ****ing up everything.

BAM
04-14-2009, 06:52 PM
Revenge against Tennessee the opener after the throwback bullcrap. That was possibly the funnest game I've ever attended.

don137
04-15-2009, 12:10 PM
I'd say the best feeling was when they went to their first super bowl after thumping the Raiders 51-3.
Also, when Bruce sacked Hostetler in the end zone for the safety I felt at that moment the Bills were going to win that game against the Giants in the Super Bowl.

Aero II
04-15-2009, 12:56 PM
I think it was Fred Smerlas who blocked the feild goal attempt against the Jets to win our 1st AFC east division title mite have been 1988
i was like 8 or 9yrs old

November 20th 1988. That was my freshman year at UB and my first Bills Game. I remeber watching one of the goal posts go up over the wall to the parking lot. It was awesome.

I still have the coffee mug that had the Buffalo News front page printed on it from the following Monday.

ddaryl
04-15-2009, 02:54 PM
the 53 - 3 playoff win over da raiders, and watching Reed receive a ball thrown to him by Kelly which was thrown as high up as it was long (about 30yds) . Reed had the whole field in the middle all he had to do was shake off his man gain a step and be where the ball was going to be.

There was just something about that throw and timing that sticks in my mind. It demonstrated how in synch that team could be when they were on.

THATHURMANATOR
04-15-2009, 03:04 PM
The greatest comeback in NFL history which was my first live game....

Jan Reimers
04-15-2009, 03:07 PM
August, 1960, at the Bills' training camp at the Knox Estate in East Aurora. I caught an errant Mack Yoho kickoff and flipped the ball to the intended returner, Elbert Dubenion.

Elbert became one of my all-time favorite Bills, and I was hooked for life.

trapezeus
04-15-2009, 03:12 PM
you know somehow the 31-0 season opener against the pats was really joyous. the weather was awesome, they were the best team in football, and we destroyed them. the stadium was electric.

Block "O"
04-15-2009, 04:19 PM
Being thanked for my support of london fletcher by his parents after a game. they actually pulled me aside to do that which i thought was kinda cool.

Night Train
04-15-2009, 04:45 PM
Comeback game vs. the Oilers

warsawbassman
04-15-2009, 09:18 PM
#1 The divisonal round playoff game against the Dolphins in 1990. Kelly was comming back from the knee injury against the Giants, plus the Dolphins, at home, in the cold, in the playoffs. What a game. 44-34, and the snow started flying. My first playoff game at the then Rich Stadium (was in Cleveland in 89 for the Ronnie Harmon Game)
#2 The Comeback, saw the whole thing on TV, was in Florida visiting my grandparents, I admit, I lost interest at half time, but had the TV on in the background and got sucked back in when Beebe got that long td when he stepped out of bounds, and was glued to it from then on.

So many great memorys from 89-99, hard to rank them , but those 2 are tops for me

TheBrownBear
04-16-2009, 02:53 PM
Some of my more memorable moments at Rich/The Ralph:

Halftime of the 51-3 game. It was already 41-3 and we all knew we were going to our first Super Bowl. The rest of the day was one big party. Even the guys like Talley and Bruce were dancing on the sideline for most of the 2nd half.

That Broncos game back in 90 where Biscuit blocked the kick and took it to the house. Man, was the stadium rocking.

The 9-6 Jets game in 88. The real start of the golden era.

That 2002 Dolphins game in the blizzard. It was a fun game, and we squished the fish of course. But what made it so memorable for me was that it was the first Bills game my SoCal born wife ever attended. We tailgated with my old high-school buddies, got a little loopy, and then just went nuts for three hours cheering in the snow and wind. I told my wife that she just had the privilege of the quintessential "Buffalo experience." She became an honorary Buffalonian that day and has been a Bills fan (and Buffalo fan) ever since.

Saddest memory was the loss to the Pats in 1994 that knocked us out of playoff contention. I remember Reich was playing that day and we got off to a hot start (I think it was 17-3) and we all believed that Reich still had that magic that would lead us to the playoffs. Then the wheels fell off, and the entire stadium could feel that the magic was gone, the SB run was dead, and the golden era of the Bills had reached its end. Kelly, Thurman, Andre, Bruce, Talley, etc. were all butting up against the end of their careers, and although they gave us a couple more playoff seasons, it was never the same after that day. :(