PDA

View Full Version : **(Rumor)** Peters has Highest paid LT contract on the table

ddaryl
04-15-2009, 07:38 AM
http://www.drafttek.com/round12009.asp

Our Bills Team Correspondent Dean Kindig (aka Astrobot) updates on the Jason Peters situation. He previously was taking the tack that Peters was likely to be traded, but now comes the news that the Bills Left Tackle was offered a contract which would make him the highest paid in the league at that position - roughly on par with Carolina's Jordan Gross. Dean now thinks a deal will get done, and has lowered the priority on OT for Buffalo. As a result, our Consensus Mock Draft has the Bills steering away from Michael Oher and again looking in the direction of USC LB Brian Cushing.

I guess will find out today if this has any truth. Not getting my hopes up...

Canadian'eh!
04-15-2009, 07:40 AM
Astrobot has all the best scoops. I think that is Ralph's net name.

Jan Reimers
04-15-2009, 07:45 AM
It's only "roughly on par with. . . Jordan Gross?" No way the great Peters settles for that.

ddaryl
Astrobot has all the best scoops. I think that is Ralph's net name.

I remember Astrobot from 2billsdrive, btu I can't remember how reliable he was.

I gave up on 2 billsdrive as a main forum for Bills talk a few years back. Stil post there but not much

Philagape
This is a case where I hope they stay cheap ... I don't want them to cave to outrageous demands

ddaryl
04-15-2009, 07:51 AM
It's only "roughly on par with. . . Jordan Gross?" No way the great Peters settles for that.

I guess that is contradictive of what I gave as a title.

Wouldn't Jrodan Gross's contract be around the 9.75 mil per year we've been hearing ???

ddaryl
04-15-2009, 07:52 AM
This is a case where I hope they stay cheap ... I don't want them to cave to outrageous demands

It would be nice to have this put to bed and be able to focus our draft back to DE OLB @ #11

Then get the best G or C in the 2nd rd

Then best TE in round #3

Ickybaluky
04-15-2009, 07:52 AM
Wouldn't Jrodan Gross's contract be around the 9.75 mil per year we've been hearing ???

Gross signed for 6 Yrs/$60M, $30M guaranteed

Forward_Lateral
04-15-2009, 07:53 AM
The Bills are damned if they do, and damned if they don't. If they pay Peters, it will be viewed as over-spending, if they don't, they'll be viewed as cheap.

Michael82
04-15-2009, 07:59 AM
I don't really care anymore. It's obvious that the fat, piece of **** cares about nothing but money. So I honestly don't care whether he takes the offer or not. Either way, I want this over with....if he rejects it, trade him immediately! This team can NOT be held hostage by this douchebag! :mad:

Philagape
04-15-2009, 08:02 AM
It would be nice to have this put to bed and be able to focus our draft back to DE OLB @ #11

Then get the best G or C in the 2nd rd

Then best TE in round #3

Agreed, but I hope it's Peters who caves

M
04-15-2009, 08:42 AM
Oy, the drama continues. If Peters does sign and gets the $$$ he wants, he'd better play b*lls to the wall for the whole season!

HHURRICANE
04-15-2009, 08:43 AM

This is about ego and sometimes players will play up to, not down to, their contract.

I think Peters, for all the *****ing around here, will outperform a deal similar to Gross.

If the Bills actually get him signed I will be stoked and actually believe that this team is serious about finally winning.

acehole
04-15-2009, 08:46 AM
If true I think it is a mistake for the bills.

http://www.drafttek.com/round12009.asp

I guess will find out today if this has any truth. Not getting my hopes up...

HHURRICANE
04-15-2009, 08:46 AM
I don't really care anymore. It's obvious that the fat, piece of **** cares about nothing but money. So I honestly don't care whether he takes the offer or not. Either way, I want this over with....if he rejects it, trade him immediately! This team can NOT be held hostage by this douchebag! :mad:

I could be wrong but I don't think this is about money as much as it is being recognized as maybe the best player at his position.

I actually believe that if gets this deal he will outperform it and play as the best player in the league.

The guy is not lazy. After all of the time he missed he came into OBD in excellent shape which Jauron confirmed. He said he is one of the better conditioned athletes.

Michael82
04-15-2009, 09:00 AM
I could be wrong but I don't think this is about money as much as it is being recognized as maybe the best player at his position.

I actually believe that if gets this deal he will outperform it and play as the best player in the league.

The guy is not lazy. After all of the time he missed he came into OBD in excellent shape which Jauron confirmed. He said he is one of the better conditioned athletes.
So the reason why he sucked for the whole first half of the season was because he was in excellent shape and such a good player? :scratch:

Bull****! He was out of shape and didn't act like he cared, once he finally came to Buffalo. Keep in mind that this is the 2nd time he's *****ing about a contract and if it gets done, it's the 2nd time that he wants it changed. Who's to say that he won't demand another raise in 2 years? :ill:

Michael82
04-15-2009, 09:01 AM
I'm sorry, but I don't buy it. It's ALL ABOUT the money for him!

Jan Reimers
04-15-2009, 09:04 AM
I agree, and I get the impression more and more that he'd just as soon be somewhere else. So we should grant his wish. (If he signs with us, I'll love him again, of course. I'm a true idiotic fan.)

OpIv37
04-15-2009, 09:08 AM

trade him to who? No one is going to shell out a first round draft pick for the opportunity to give a guy a $10m a year contract. His demands make him undesirable.

HHURRICANE
04-15-2009, 09:09 AM
So the reason why he sucked for the whole first half of the season was because he was in excellent shape and such a good player? :scratch:

Bull****! He was out of shape and didn't act like he cared, once he finally came to Buffalo. Keep in mind that this is the 2nd time he's *****ing about a contract and if it gets done, it's the 2nd time that he wants it changed. Who's to say that he won't demand another raise in 2 years? :ill:

Come on Mikey. You and I both know there is a big difference between training shape and football shape. The guy hadn't played a football game in 10 months. Did it suck? Yes.

But to say he came in out of shape is unfair and not accurate. The coaching staff said he came in an excellent shape.

As far as the *****ing about the contract I'm not sure why so many people want to torture a guy that was paid far below his teamates?

This is the same guy who picked Buffalo to play in, was pissed that the a game was being played in Toronto where he was vocal before the game was played, and has always worked hard and stayed out of trouble.

THATHURMANATOR
04-15-2009, 09:13 AM
Get the deal done! I will be very happy if they keep him.

justasportsfan
04-15-2009, 09:18 AM
I hope it's true. If Peters doesn't play up to par, simple. Cut him like they did Dockery.

Now we can concentrate on the other holes.

acehole
04-15-2009, 09:21 AM
I hope it's true. If Peters doesn't play up to par, simple. Cut him like they did Dockery.

Now we can concentrate on the other holes.

Yea but 30 million garunteed (Spl)...

Why dont they simply say if you play like the best you will get payed the best...incentive ladend deal. It protects all from getting a raw deal.

Philagape
04-15-2009, 09:21 AM
Come on Mikey. You and I both know there is a big difference between training shape and football shape. The guy hadn't played a football game in 10 months. Did it suck? Yes.

But to say he came in out of shape is unfair and not accurate. The coaching staff said he came in an excellent shape.

As far as the *****ing about the contract I'm not sure why so many people want to torture a guy that was paid far below his teamates?

This is the same guy who picked Buffalo to play in, was pissed that the a game was being played in Toronto where he was vocal before the game was played, and has always worked hard and stayed out of trouble.

If he's not in football shape and sucked because of it, who cares about training shape?
Nobody's saying he shouldn't get a raise. Just not as the highest paid LT in the league.

OpIv37
04-15-2009, 09:25 AM
Get the deal done! I will be very happy if they keep him.

if we sign him for that much money, it will be bittersweet, but at least we'll be going into the draft with one less hole and we know he'll be in camp and be in football shape for week 1.

DMBcrew36
04-15-2009, 09:27 AM
trade him to who? No one is going to shell out a first round draft pick for the opportunity to give a guy a $10m a year contract. His demands make him undesirable.

yep. The Bills can either cough up some ridiculously large contract, or trade him for much less than he is worth. Pick your poison.

ddaryl
04-15-2009, 09:30 AM

which comes close to the 9.75 a year offer we heard about but couldn't confirm

HHURRICANE
04-15-2009, 09:30 AM
yep. The Bills can either cough up some ridiculously large contract, or trade him for much less than he is worth. Pick your poison.

You and OP both have it right!!

I'll take overpaying him and not having to "rebuild" yet again.

I'm not sure the Bills are going to be in Buffalo in 3 years so I want a championship before they leave.

ddaryl
04-15-2009, 09:32 AM

You and OP both have it right!!

I'll take overpaying him and not having to "rebuild" yet again.

I'm not sure the Bills are going to be in Buffalo in 3 years so I want a championship before they leave.

or they can deal with his hold out through camp, prepare for his eventual departure by drafting a T and make him play on his exisiting deal or lose 10 game checks and any chance he has of getting that pay day he covets.

why do people ignore the 3rd option ???? It is very much an option

WeAreArthurMoates
04-15-2009, 09:32 AM

Yep this is the situation unfortunatly Jason put us in. I'm fine either way as long as one of these are done. We just can't do nothing so he holds out again, and the same **** happens next year.

justasportsfan
04-15-2009, 09:33 AM

Why dont they simply say if you play like the best you will get payed the best...incentive ladend deal. It protects all from getting a raw deal.
thats what I hope will get done. But the bills were the ones who screwed up with the Dockery deal and now some people will want to cash in.

DMBcrew36
04-15-2009, 09:34 AM
or they can deal with his hold out through camp, prepare for his eventual departure by drafting a T and make him play on his exisiting deal or lose 10 game checks and any chance he has of getting that pay day he covets.

why do people ignore the 3rd option ???? It is very much an option

The team already has enough distractions to deal with. They dealt with the Peters distraction last year. And when he finally showed up, he wasn't ready to play, which hurt the team.

ddaryl
04-15-2009, 09:37 AM
Yep this is the situation unfortunatly Jason put us in. I'm fine either way as long as one of these are done. We just can't do nothing so he holds out again, and the same **** happens next year.

YES WE CAN... and I personally have 0 problems with option 3.

If JP wants to play hardball then the Bill sshould too

No way JP passes up 10 game checks this season... Draft the best T at #11, if JP shows up that drafted T can play LG and represent solid T depth. If JP holds out we have the drafted T on the roster to fill in and we are in a much better postion to deal with peters holdout. Not optimal but not completely whacked either.

option #3 is very realisitc and Peters has 2 years left on a dela so he have ot pull this stunt for 2 _ years which owuld pretty much decimate the rest of his career. Not a wise move by him or his agent who is lookin got get paid since Parker had nothing to do with th elast ocntract Peters signed

THATHURMANATOR
04-15-2009, 09:37 AM
if we sign him for that much money, it will be bittersweet, but at least we'll be going into the draft with one less hole and we know he'll be in camp and be in football shape for week 1.
What is bittersweet about it? It isn't my money. It isn't like we don't have the cap room.....

billsfanone
04-15-2009, 09:38 AM
At this point, I'd rather have him on the team than to have another big hole to fill.

justasportsfan
04-15-2009, 09:39 AM
The team already has enough distractions to deal with. They dealt with the Peters distraction last year. And when he finally showed up, he wasn't ready to play, which hurt the team.
you can say the same thing about almost every player on the team even the ones that showed up at camp. Some of them are overpaid and their play hurt the team.

ddaryl
04-15-2009, 09:42 AM

SO ****ING WHAT. He'll be a distraction if he is overpaid but plays like 2008 anyways

If you don't play hardball its only a matter of time before another player puts the screws to the Bills.

If he isn;t ready to play well then that's why we drafted the best T at #11 to absorb that possibility.; We can let Chambers , Walker and the new drafted T battle it out in camp to see who starts at LT and when Peters decieds to come back we can bring him very slowly, or he can play RT where his contract pays him properly...

if you play hardball it is peters who loses in the long run, because the Bills will eventually rebound from it, Peters will lose another valuable year to his career and he'll be worth even less.

I'd rahter he sign, but I do not buy trade or pay only philosophy. I believe in option 3 if necessary

Ickybaluky
04-15-2009, 09:50 AM
Here is an article in today's philly papers (http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/20090415_Birds__GM__Draft_may_clear_the_picture_at_left_tackle.html) about them addressing the LT position:

And then there is Buffalo Bills left tackle Jason Peters.

The Bills and Peters have been working on a new contract, but no deal is in sight.

Heckert was asked if the Bills had contacted the Eagles about Peters, who staged a lengthy holdout from Buffalo's training camp last season.

"I can't say that," he said.

Heckert said the Eagles have not talked to Peters' agent Vincent Taylor, which would be a necessary prelude to any trade because the sides would have to hammer out a new contract.

A league source said the Eagles wanted to sign Carolina's Jordan Gross before he re-signed with the Panthers for about $60 million over six years. It's unknown if the Eagles would be willing to pay Peters that salary and give up a first-round pick to get him.

"Obviously I think most stuff probably won't happen until next week," Heckert said of predraft trades. "We've talked to a few teams. It's the infamous, 'Yeah, we would be willing to move - maybe. No one says we'll do it for a third or something. But, yeah, we can move up."

bigbub2352
04-15-2009, 09:57 AM
i say trade him and rebuild thru the draft

OpIv37
04-15-2009, 09:59 AM
What is bittersweet about it? It isn't my money. It isn't like we don't have the cap room.....

it'll just give the team an excuse not to pay someone else.

justasportsfan
04-15-2009, 10:04 AM

with this staff , we'll be rebuilding forever.

Mahdi
04-15-2009, 10:07 AM
I thought thats what we did when we developed Peters....

BILLSROCK1212
04-15-2009, 10:11 AM
u know if he gets that deal GREAT it saves us a draft pick and hopefully he shows up and plays his best....if he doesnt the Bills will look like fools and so will he

justasportsfan
04-15-2009, 10:17 AM
I thought thats what we did when we developed Peters....

maybe we should hope that every draft pick we make doesn't become good enough to make probowl so that we won't have to pay them down the road. We should instead keep overpaying people like Kelsay that way they stay with the team and we'll suck forever.

ddaryl
04-15-2009, 10:20 AM
maybe we should hope that every draft pick we make doesn't become good enough to make probowl so that we won't have to pay them down the road. We should instead keep overpaying people like Kelsay that way they stay with the team and we'll suck forever.

the problem with this argument is we have a very very very respectable offer on the table for Peters. One that is clearly more then enough to satisfy your argumnet accept for the fact Peters is demanding more.

That's my beef with the situation. The Bills have done plenty to satisfy the fact they tried hard ot keep him IMO

THATHURMANATOR
04-15-2009, 10:31 AM
it'll just give the team an excuse not to pay someone else.
I guess.

Mahdi
04-15-2009, 10:35 AM
the problem with this argument is we have a very very very respectable offer on the table for Peters. One that is clearly more then enough to satisfy your argumnet accept for the fact Peters is demanding more.

That's my beef with the situation. The Bills have done plenty to satisfy the fact they tried hard ot keep him IMO
The thing though is that Peters is due a raise. He has been for 2 years. He has played LT at a high level, minus first half of 08 and he feels he should be rewarded at or near the top of his position contractually. Next year, whoever the best LT on the market is will demand the same thing and so on and so forth. Peters knows he is better than Gross. And after 2007 no one would debate that point, it wouldn't even be close. So Peters in his mind is trying to get what he knows he is worth.

justasportsfan
04-15-2009, 10:40 AM

I agree. We have a respectable offer. But based on the depseration that this FO created ,players like Peters all of a sudden think they are worth more because of it.

The bills overpay for crappy players, they bring in players from other teams who never played a down for this team and make them the highest player this franchised has ever played, obviously guys like Peters feel bad about it and want to be overpaid. "why not me?" THis FO in one way or another created this monster.

If this FO hired a coaching staff that knows how to do without a probowl/franchise LT to begin with , we wouldn't be in this situation. I would think that every player in the pats organization knows that the coaching staff can find a way to replace them and still not miss a heartbeat. This staff hasn't proven to have the capability to do so and I'm sure Peters will want to take advantage of the situation.

HAMMER
04-15-2009, 11:24 AM
In a couple years this proposed deal will be under market and he will be back with his hand out again!

Mahdi
04-15-2009, 11:27 AM
In a couple years this proposed deal will be under market and he will be back with his hand out again!
Highly doubt that. Its not like this is the second or third time he asks for a raise. Its the first and will be a long term contract.

FlyingDutchman
04-15-2009, 11:30 AM
whether he signs or not the damage has been done for me. I think hes a hell of a player, unfortunately I also think hes a money hungry arrogant ***** now

OpIv37
04-15-2009, 11:31 AM

There is a strong possibility that you are dead on with that assessment.

However, right now this team has huge holes at LG, DE and OLB. If we add LT to that list, it destroys whatever little chance we have this season. So, pay the man now. It will buy us time to find a replacement and solve the LT problem for the short term. If he comes back to the table with his hand out in two years, we'll be in a better position to tell him to go **** himself than we are right now.

ddaryl
04-15-2009, 11:32 AM
Highly doubt that. Its not like this is the second or third time he asks for a raise. Its the first and will be a long term contract.

that doens't matter ... Remember bruce Smith. Every other year he hold out until his contract was re-done and he was top dog again.

yordad
04-15-2009, 11:32 AM

The guy is not lazy. After all of the time he missed he came into OBD in excellent shape which Jauron confirmed. He said he is one of the better conditioned athletes.Are you, and was he, talking about Peters? Jason Peters? Of the Bills?

This is the same guy who picked Buffalo to play in, He was on on practice squad most of his first year. The Bills gave him a chance, not the other way around. He didn't exactly have his "pick of the liter".

PromoTheRobot
04-15-2009, 11:36 AM
The Bills are damned if they do, and damned if they don't. If they pay Peters, it will be viewed as over-spending, if they don't, they'll be viewed as cheap.

Then watch the other Bills players line up demanding raises, no matter how much they have left on their contracts. Oh, and we'll see if Peters even plays up to that contract. The same Peters jocksniffers will be *****ing about overpaying that fat tub of goo next year.

PTR

Mahdi
04-15-2009, 11:38 AM
that doens't matter ... Remember bruce Smith. Every other year he hold out until his contract was re-done and he was top dog again.
Right but that is Bruce.

If Peters gets extended for 5 or six more years he wont see another raise till the last year of his deal.

He has a case right now because he is underpaid not only for an elite OT but for an OT in general.

yordad
04-15-2009, 11:41 AM

Why dont they simply say if you play like the best you will get payed the best...incentive ladend deal. It protects all from getting a raw deal.This douche is demanding. He ain't goin for it. I am sure the Bills tried to bridge the gap with incentives, but the reports where the Bills had to bring 11 mil (per) to the table before the chats even began.

I think I will always think Peters is a douche. Dude could make 11 pro bowls in a row, and I will always remember a whiny, greedy, douche.

yordad
04-15-2009, 11:44 AM

why do people ignore the 3rd option ???? It is very much an optionI choose that one. Actually, after his ten game holdout, his spot would be reserved.... next to the water boy.

yordad
04-15-2009, 11:47 AM
What is bittersweet about it? It isn't my money. It isn't like we don't have the cap room.....You don't find crumbling to demands to be "Bittersweet" from the Bills shoes? Who is going to holdout next?

Typ0
04-15-2009, 11:48 AM
the problem with option #3 is the rest of the players are going to be standing there watching, scratching their heads, about the way Peters is getting screwed. JP has played way above what he is paid. This is a tough situtation and the two sides need to find a meeting of the minds very soon.

yordad
04-15-2009, 11:51 AM
Here is an article in today's philly papers (http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/20090415_Birds__GM__Draft_may_clear_the_picture_at_left_tackle.html) about them addressing the LT position:Well how accurate is any of that?

Heckert said the Eagles have not talked to Peters' agent Vincent TaylorWhat happened to Parker?

Kenny
04-15-2009, 11:52 AM
Who is going to holdout next?

Kelsay? Denney? Kyle Williams? Reed? DiGiorgio?

If they want to hold out, let them. Fact is we dont have many players on this team that are franchise guys. Peters is one of them.

ddaryl
04-15-2009, 11:54 AM
the problem with option #3 is the rest of the players are going to be standing there watching, scratching their heads, about the way Peters is getting screwed. JP has played way above what he is paid. This is a tough situtation and the two sides need to find a meeting of the minds very soon.

again I disagree. the players will be well aware of the offers the Bills put on the table and when they realize he still said no they are going to revolt on Peters IMO. Maybe not publicly but most of the players on that team are making considerbaly less so I doubt they take his side for measely 1 mil a season in the face of 9 - 10 mil a season.

OpIv37
04-15-2009, 11:54 AM
Then watch the other Bills players line up demanding raises, no matter how much they have left on their contracts. Oh, and we'll see if Peters even plays up to that contract. The same Peters jocksniffers will be *****ing about overpaying that fat tub of goo next year.

PTR

How ironic, because if we trade Peters, the same Peters haters who want the trade will be *****ing about how bad our OL is by week 3, when Trent is injured and Fitzpatrick is behind center.

ddaryl
04-15-2009, 11:55 AM
What happened to Parker?

His agent works for Parkers agency

Typ0
04-15-2009, 11:58 AM
again I disagree. the players will be well aware of the offers the Bills put on the table and when they realize he still said no they are going to revolt on Peters IMO. Maybe not publicly but most of the players on that team are making considerbaly less so I doubt they take his side for measely 1 mil a season in the face of 9 - 10 mil a season.

all of those players are getting paid on par for the position & role they are filling on the team. JP is not. He's a high level manager getting paid like a burger flipper. You also don't know what offers are being put on the table.

yordad
04-15-2009, 11:58 AM
Kelsay? Denney? Kyle Williams? Reed? DiGiorgio?

If they want to hold out, let them. Fact is we dont have many players on this team that are franchise guys. Peters is one of them.Edwards, Lynch, Poz, McKelvin, Whitner, Anyone. Do you think they will never have another good player? Will no one ever think they are underpaid again?

Crumbling to demands is a slippery slope, and will have repercussions.

ddaryl
04-15-2009, 12:01 PM
How ironic, because if we trade Peters, the same Peters haters who want the trade will be *****ing about how bad our OL is by week 3, when Trent is injured and Fitzpatrick is behind center.

You mean like week 4 against KC when Peters was playing and the OL was struggling ???? Or later on in the year when Peters was playing but Trent's groin was bothering him...

Peters is by far not the end all answer that fixes the Bills OL, and Peters was very much not the stud he wants to be paid like in 2008, and was playing at the time of injuries to trent and Marshawn

so this argument is very weak, because we saw little difference with or without Peters last season.

a bigger concern is replacing the LG and upping our T depth. The only real reason to overpay for Peters is so we don't have to draft OT at #11 even though I wish we would regardless.

justasportsfan
04-15-2009, 12:01 PM
Edwards, Lynch, Poz, McKelvin, Whitner, Anyone. Do you think they will never have another good player? Will no one ever think they are underpaid again?

If they ever make probowl then they can ask for a raise but like I said, if they make probowl chances are the bills won't want to pay them and make them go to another team.

yordad
04-15-2009, 12:05 PM
If they ever make probowl then they can ask for a raise but like I said, if they make probowl chances are the bills won't want to pay them and make them go to another team.If they want a raise for making the pro bowl, they should have added that to their original contract as an escalator. If they didn't, they should take it up with their agent.

Not to mention, this case is a little more complicated then probowl = raise.

justasportsfan
04-15-2009, 12:06 PM
If they want a raise for making the pro bowl, they should have added that to their original contract as an escalator. If they didn't, they should take it up with their agent.

Not to mention, this case is a little more complicated then probowl = raise.
If we also fix this FO and hire competent coaches maybe we can do without these players if they ask for more than they're worth.

OpIv37
04-15-2009, 12:07 PM
You mean like week 4 against KC when Peters was playing and the OL was struggling ???? Or later on in the year when Peters was playing but Trent's groin was bothering him...

Peters is by far not the end all answer that fixes the Bills OL, and Peters was very much not the stud he wants to be paid like in 2008, and was playing at the time of injuries to trent and Marshawn

so this argument is very weak, because we saw little difference with or without Peters last season.

a bigger concern is replacing the LG and upping our T depth. The only real reason to overpay for Peters is so we don't have to draft OT at #11 even though I wish we would regardless.

on the contrary, that argument is very strong.

We lost 4 players off our OL- Dock, Preston, Fowler, and Whittle. Granted, none of them were very good, but we only signed two. We're still down at least one starter and one depth player on the OL. Trade Peters and we're down two starters. You're nuts if you honestly think we can get through a whole season with Walker and Chambers as the starting tackles.

On top of that, Trent is still inexperienced, and this team's fortunes largely depend on him. You really want to put that in the hands of two rookie linemen?

And finally, this team still has holes to fill at LG, DE, OLB and TE. Trading Peters means drafting a T and limits our ability to fill those other positions.

Peters is a greedy jackass, no doubt about it. But he's also a good player. We can debate all day whether or not he's worth the contract, but what other option do the Bills really have? He has us by the sack and he knows it.

ddaryl
04-15-2009, 12:08 PM
all of those players are getting paid on par for the position & role they are filling on the team. JP is not. He's a high level manager getting paid like a burger flipper. You also don't know what offers are being put on the table.

Your right I don't know the exact amount of the offers, but I am positive they are adequate.

and BS about the other players. They get paid for there position, but do you really beleive any of them are going to be pissed off at the Bills for not making Peters the highest paid LT in the game. I see it the opposite, they will look at him as the bad guy because the rest of the team is making considerably less then he is and THEY won't be happy that he screwed the entire team over a measely million, give or take, in . Team sport, Team sacrafices... If Peters refuses to show because he just has to be the highest paid the palyers will

Peters has an offer on the table that is more then generous, and I know how I would feel is a co-worker played this type of game., and left the rest of our crew hanging while he held out for more money even though he already made 2x's +++ what I'm making. I'd give him the cold shoulder and refuse to work with him.

Kenny
04-15-2009, 12:12 PM
Edwards, Lynch, Poz, McKelvin, Whitner, Anyone. Do you think they will never have another good player? Will no one ever think they are underpaid again?

Edwards hasnt done squat. Neither has Poz, and Whitner is on the verge of bust label.
McKelvin hasnt done much either, and Lynch is 2 huge strikes on him already.

Neither of these guys are even close to being a franchise player right now.

ddaryl
04-15-2009, 12:19 PM
on the contrary, that argument is very strong.

We lost 4 players off our OL- Dock, Preston, Fowler, and Whittle. Granted, none of them were very good, but we only signed two. We're still down at least one starter and one depth player on the OL. Trade Peters and we're down two starters. You're nuts if you honestly think we can get through a whole season with Walker and Chambers as the starting tackles.

On top of that, Trent is still inexperienced, and this team's fortunes largely depend on him. You really want to put that in the hands of two rookie linemen?

And finally, this team still has holes to fill at LG, DE, OLB and TE. Trading Peters means drafting a T and limits our ability to fill those other positions.

Peters is a greedy jackass, no doubt about it. But he's also a good player. We can debate all day whether or not he's worth the contract, but what other option do the Bills really have? He has us by the sack and he knows it.

I would rather he signs, but if he doesn't I blame him not the Bills FO... and that is just not going to change. There is 0 reasons why 9 - 10 million is not good enough for him IMO, and no matter what the argument I do not take Peters side. I never took Bruce Smiths side when he was playing those games either, although he always played lkek a pro-bowler during those year. I stil thought of him a greedy douche bag

Why do we have to have 2 rookie linemen. We have Chambers and Walker and we can draft a T. We have personel on the team that can be placed into different positions that do not require the Bills to play 2 rookies... You cna call me nuts but it still doens't justify making Peters the highest paid LT in the game because he demands it. He shouldn;'t have held out last season, and he should have played better in 2008 if he wanted that contract...

Yes I know not signing Peters limits our drafting strategy, but so be it.
I am fine with all 3 scenarios. Sign him , trade him , let his rot....

I am not and never will be on Peters side, or the next player on our team that holds out underservingly, and IMO Peters hod out was unecessary and he cannot be rewarded for using that tactic no matter how painful it is ... I will always feel that way, and we have seen other players on this team not hold out and get damn good deals.

ddaryl
04-15-2009, 12:22 PM
If they ever make probowl then they can ask for a raise but like I said, if they make probowl chances are the bills won't want to pay them and make them go to another team.

what a bunch of horse ****

the Bills pay team players. Hold out tactics are a negative to a players contract demands

justasportsfan
04-15-2009, 12:24 PM
what a bunch of horse ****

the Bills pay team players.
they pay the wrong ones who aren't good enough to overcome this crappy coaching staff which why Peters is most likely asking the FO "why not overpay me?"

Typ0
04-15-2009, 12:27 PM
you seem to be using your standards as the measuring stick for these professional athletes. Two million must be enough because that's a lot of money to you. Everyone in every union understands when they work for less than they are worth they damage the union as a whole. I'm not concerned about dollars and cents as much as I am about the state of the culture at OBD and how the cultural attitude is going to impact the teams ability to win.

The offer could be 1/2 M$ short on making JP paid the way his camp believes he should be paid. That number might only represent 5% of difference between the two sides. For the people in the Union, that small amount represents the owners taking advantage of the players. To the owners it represents a fair amount the player should be willing to give up to play for an NFL franchise. To the fans that number represents what they would make in a decade and it makes them want to puke they can't get more.

You are a fan and looking at it from fan standards. The longer this dwindles on the worse it is for the player culture that's for sure.

Your right I don't know the exact amount of the offers, but I am positive they are adequate.

and BS about the other players. They get paid for there position, but do you really beleive any of them are going to be pissed off at the Bills for not making Peters the highest paid LT in the game. I see it the opposite, they will look at him as the bad guy because the rest of the team is making considerably less then he is and THEY won't be happy that he screwed the entire team over a measely million, give or take, in . Team sport, Team sacrafices... If Peters refuses to show because he just has to be the highest paid the palyers will

Peters has an offer on the table that is more then generous, and I know how I would feel is a co-worker played this type of game., and left the rest of our crew hanging while he held out for more money even though he already made 2x's +++ what I'm making. I'd give him the cold shoulder and refuse to work with him.

Jeff1220
04-15-2009, 12:27 PM
Considering what other players might do, or who will line up for a raise first is futile because the Jason Peters situation is a unique one. You don't usually have an undrafted player given chances at several positions(TE, ST, OL, heck I think he even lined up at DE a couple of times) then given a extension/raise for settling in nicely to one position (RT), before finally settling into and making the Pro Bowl in another position (LT) that is usually paid much more.

psubills62
04-15-2009, 12:31 PM

I'm not sure I understand why people think our OL will automatically suck without Peters. First, they played well without Peters last year. Secondly, despite what you may think about Hangartner, it's very, very logical to believe that AT THE LEAST, he will be as good as Preston or Fowler.

Dockery sucked so badly that a rookie could easily come in and do a better job. And it would be easy enough to put Walker at LT, Chambers at RT, and let Bell be the swing tackle. Sign or draft a few more guys for training camp, and Peters can hold out all he wants.

Will it be a Pro-Bowl line across the board? No, but it won't be horrible either.

I seem to remember people whining and crying last year about how Edwards wouldn't make it through a single game without Peters, especially against the Seahawks (who had a pretty good pass rush - 35 sacks for 10th in the NFL). Seems to me they did a pretty good job.

psubills62
04-15-2009, 12:38 PM
Maybe the Bills should just move Peters back to RT. Right now, he's being paid accordingly for an RT, so just move him back there. Problem solved.

Mahdi
04-15-2009, 12:39 PM

There is a code among NFL players. And one of the main rules is that you don't get involved with a team mate's contract demands or status. Fact is, NFL players see themselves as an individual business entity and they are the CEO. No one gets involved in another player's business operations.

What Peters is doing now is what countless players have done before him and what countless more will do after.

Peters has already played 2 seasons way under market value which means he has already lost millions (another reason why he is asking for more). If he was paid in 07 like he wanted and got what everyone knew he was going to get anyways we wouldn't be arguing this today.

If there is any position to overpay for slightly its LT, QB and DE.

ddaryl
04-15-2009, 12:52 PM
There is a code among NFL players. And one of the main rules is that you don't get involved with a team mate's contract demands or status. Fact is, NFL players see themselves as an individual business entity and they are the CEO. No one gets involved in another player's business operations.

What Peters is doing now is what countless players have done before him and what countless more will do after.

Peters has already played 2 seasons way under market value which means he has already lost millions (another reason why he is asking for more). If he was paid in 07 like he wanted and got what everyone knew he was going to get anyways we wouldn't be arguing this today.

you are right players don't get involved... but that doesn't change the fact that they have an opinion about it. If they know he has a 9 - 10 million deal on the table but won't show up they might not say anythign publicly but they'll harbor resentment none the less.

The next Bills player to hold the team hostage with multipe years left on a deal is the next Bills player I go off on just the same. I don't give a rats ass about what other players will do I do not support hold outs for players with multiple years left on their exisitng deals. 1 year left and you have a argument but 3 years left on a deal **** YOU.

and this argument about Peters playing below market value for 2 years. SO ****ING WHAT. He signed an extension, nobody put a gun to his head and demanded he sign it. He knew damn well he was moving to LT in the near future to. With 2 years left the BIlls now have a big time offer on the table... and it still isn't good enough... so now I give an even BIGGER **** YOU to Peters.

The Bills have done 0 wrong in the Peters situation not a single thing. We are just battling a ***** who needs ot be overpaid to satisfy his ego... nothign more

ddaryl
04-15-2009, 12:58 PM
you seem to be using your standards as the measuring stick for these professional athletes. Two million must be enough because that's a lot of money to you. Everyone in every union understands when they work for less than they are worth they damage the union as a whole. I'm not concerned about dollars and cents as much as I am about the state of the culture at OBD and how the cultural attitude is going to impact the teams ability to win.

The offer could be 1/2 M$ short on making JP paid the way his camp believes he should be paid. That number might only represent 5% of difference between the two sides. For the people in the Union, that small amount represents the owners taking advantage of the players. To the owners it represents a fair amount the player should be willing to give up to play for an NFL franchise. To the fans that number represents what they would make in a decade and it makes them want to puke they can't get more.

You are a fan and looking at it from fan standards. The longer this dwindles on the worse it is for the player culture that's for sure.

100% correct and I stand by what I beleive.

I want Peters to stay, but I only support the FO in Peters case. If they want to over pay to keep him I'm ok with that, but if they draw the line I am more then ok with that... I... It is my belief system, and one I am incapable of changing.

Evans got his deal last year and he was on the last year of his contract and had a reaosn to hold out but didn't.... that = respect...

Stroud could have made a spectacle but didn't. = respect

Peters had 3 years left last year and knew the Bills had other priorities but held out anyways... = lost all respect.

PromoTheRobot
04-15-2009, 01:19 PM
Bravo, ddaryl. I don't know why it's so hard to understand. You don't reward players who show such disrespect to their team and teammates. Peters can take his two pro bowls and smoke 'em for all I care. My own eyes tell me he ain't worth it.

PTR

OpIv37
04-15-2009, 01:21 PM
I'm not sure I understand why people think our OL will automatically suck without Peters. First, they played well without Peters last year. Secondly, despite what you may think about Hangartner, it's very, very logical to believe that AT THE LEAST, he will be as good as Preston or Fowler.

Dockery sucked so badly that a rookie could easily come in and do a better job. And it would be easy enough to put Walker at LT, Chambers at RT, and let Bell be the swing tackle. Sign or draft a few more guys for training camp, and Peters can hold out all he wants.

Will it be a Pro-Bowl line across the board? No, but it won't be horrible either.

I seem to remember people whining and crying last year about how Edwards wouldn't make it through a single game without Peters, especially against the Seahawks (who had a pretty good pass rush - 35 sacks for 10th in the NFL). Seems to me they did a pretty good job.
They played OK without Peters last year, and it was only 2 games against crappy teams.

Hangartner was not a named starter. He only started because of injury. In case you didn't notice, the OL sucked last year. As good as Preston and Fowler gets us nowhere, and so far there is no evidence that Hangartner is better. You're basing your analysis on hope, not substance.

I doubt a rookie will do a better job than Dock, especially one drafted by this clueless FO. They couldn't find talent if it kicked them in the nads.

Bell as the primary back up at T means we're one injury from disaster. He's not ready.

Sorry but Walker- Rookie-Hangartner-Butler-Chambers is worse than Peters-Dockery-Fowler/Preston- Butler- Chambers.

Walker vs Peters- Peters is better
Rookie vs Dock- ?????
Hangartner vs Preston/Fowler- I'll call it a push
Butler vs Butler- push
Chambers vs. Walker- Walker is better

So, the OL is worse in at least two positions. We don't know about LG, and we really don't even know about C. This OL is looking shaky with Peters and ****ing terrible without him.

psubills62
04-15-2009, 01:32 PM
They played OK without Peters last year, and it was only 2 games against crappy teams.

Hangartner was not a named starter. He only started because of injury. In case you didn't notice, the OL sucked last year. As good as Preston and Fowler gets us nowhere, and so far there is no evidence that Hangartner is better. You're basing your analysis on hope, not substance.

I doubt a rookie will do a better job than Dock, especially one drafted by this clueless FO. They couldn't find talent if it kicked them in the nads.

Bell as the primary back up at T means we're one injury from disaster. He's not ready.

Sorry but Walker- Rookie-Hangartner-Butler-Chambers is worse than Peters-Dockery-Fowler/Preston- Butler- Chambers.

Walker vs Peters- Peters is better
Rookie vs Dock- ?????
Hangartner vs Preston/Fowler- I'll call it a push
Butler vs Butler- push
Chambers vs. Walker- Walker is better

So, the OL is worse in at least two positions. We don't know about LG, and we really don't even know about C. This OL is looking shaky with Peters and ****ing terrible without him.

I'm basing my analysis on hope, not substance? I think it's substance that Hangartner played last year and played well, whether he was in due to injury or not. I think it's substance that Fowler, Preston, and Dockery were TERRIBLE. LOL at you calling that a push. Walker at LT last year would have been better than Peters, and if Peters holds out then Walker will again be better. I almost wish Peters had held out all 10 games last year.

Did you read my post? Seattle had a bad record, but were a very good sacking team. They averaged 2.2 sacks per game, and got 1 against our makeshift line last year.

Get off your high horse, I'm sick of your "the FO can't find talent, period" garbage. They didn't go 0-16 last year. There is damn talent on this team, whether you refuse to see it or not. Just because our coaches can't use talent doesn't mean our players don't have it.

OpIv37
04-15-2009, 01:38 PM
I'm basing my analysis on hope, not substance? I think it's substance that Hangartner played last year and played well, whether he was in due to injury or not. I think it's substance that Fowler, Preston, and Dockery were TERRIBLE. LOL at you calling that a push. Walker at LT last year would have been better than Peters, and if Peters holds out then Walker will again be better. I almost wish Peters had held out all 10 games last year.

Did you read my post? Seattle had a bad record, but were a very good sacking team. They averaged 2.2 sacks per game, and got 1 against our makeshift line last year.

Get off your high horse, I'm sick of your "the FO can't find talent, period" garbage. They didn't go 0-16 last year. There is damn talent on this team, whether you refuse to see it or not. Just because our coaches can't use talent doesn't mean our players don't have it.

The only reason Walker was better than Peters was because Peters was out of shape. If Peters gets in a full off-season, he's infinitely better than Walker.

There's talent on our team? Really? Like Chris Kelsay (who this FO re-signed)? John McCargo? Poz who gets swallowed up on every running play? Hardy who couldn't even beat out Steve Johnson to get on the field? Youboty who has either been injured or inadequate for the majority of his career? Ellison? All-or-nothing Kawika Mitchell? Ko Simpson? Any of our useless TEs?

Trust me, there is a huge talent gap between our team and a lot of other teams in this league, especially the Patriots. And yes, I know the Patriots are a unique example and few teams are as good as them, but like it or not, they're in our division and we have to close that gap if we're ever going to be relevant again.

I do agree on the coaches though- they'd be losers even with NE's talent. They fail to take advantage of the limited talent that we do have.

justasportsfan
04-15-2009, 01:39 PM
Bravo, ddaryl. I don't know why it's so hard to understand. You don't reward players who show such disrespect to their team and teammates. Peters can take his two pro bowls and smoke 'em for all I care. My own eyes tell me he ain't worth it.

PTR
we rewarded a coach who had 3 straight losing seasons with a new contract while we fired guys like Wade who didn't have a losing season with the bills.

HHURRICANE
04-15-2009, 02:07 PM

Awesome post!! People forget that Peters has worked for less than he should his whole career here.

ddaryl
04-15-2009, 02:18 PM
Awesome post!! People forget that Peters has worked for less than he should his whole career here.

Boo ****ing hoo...

and BS... he was undrafted and he got an undrafted contract. It Was not the Bills fault he went undrafted.

The Bills also brought him up to his level, so where is the returned loyalty. Loyalty isn't a one way street, and the Bills put a lot of effort into Peters. They even rewarded him with an extension that he signed without him holding out or asking for it. Where's the return in loyalty for that generous boost in pay while he still had a valid contract.

Last year he still has 3 years left on that extension THAT HE SIGNED. AND the Bills had a bigger priority in resigning Evans. If he wanted a bigger payday he could have waited for his UFA, took a chance on a career ending injury, but he didn't. Again the Bill ponied up for him with that extension...

Now there is a big time deal on the table and yet he still has 2 years left on that extension THAT HE SIGNED... but he needs more ?????????????

sorry these post that favor Peters position have little merit IMO in the face that it is the Bills that have been very very very good to Peters since he has been here. Peters IMHO can accept a deal that doesn't make him the highest paid but one of the highest paid LT in the game and he should be damn glad to so so.

DMBcrew36
04-15-2009, 02:20 PM
CONFIRMED! -- Peters is a douchebag.

BillsWin
04-15-2009, 02:48 PM
I can verify he turned down at least 3 contract offers from the Bills before being presented with a close to 10 million a year contract for 4 or 5 years. Whether he turned it down or no remains to be seen. I dont think hes worth the top spot.

ddaryl
04-15-2009, 02:49 PM
I can verify he turned down at least 3 contract offers from the Bills before being presented with a close to 10 million a year contract for 4 or 5 years. Whether he turned it down or no remains to be seen. I dont think hes worth the top spot.

please verify !!!!!

how do you know this ???

BillsWin
04-15-2009, 03:03 PM
please verify !!!!!

how do you know this ???

Just from the NFL office at the station I work at. We are a sister station to ESPN radio and an affiliate of Sirius NFL so we get tidbits from around the league.

As is we hardly ever get Buffalo Bills news, if we do its just rumors really. Unless its a big thing like T.O or free agency.

The NFL is one of our bigger things we cover (mostly Dallas Cowboys news), but I've been trying to follow the Peters story for a while now, and I am pretty certain he has declined at least 3 offers prior to a large contract offer that averages out 9.5-10 million a year for 4-5 years. I don't know all the facts yet, but I do know the talks have heated up and cooled down more times than an Icy Hot patch.

dplus47
04-15-2009, 08:48 PM
The Bills also brought him up to his level, so where is the returned loyalty. Loyalty isn't a one way street, and the Bills put a lot of effort into Peters.

if the bills are responsible for bringing peters up to the level he plays at now, why don't they just bring some other players up to pro bowl level while they're at it?

HAMMER
04-15-2009, 11:13 PM
All these posts for a thread labeled "Rumor", from a message board poster? Classic.

thenry20
04-16-2009, 01:01 AM
Don't get me wrong I want Peters to remain a Buffalo Bill forever but there's a limit to what he should ask for given what he's done to earn such a rewarding contract.

If we don't sign him to be the highest paid LT in the league, I certainly wouldn't cry over it. AND NOT TRADE HIM EITHER! Let him "waste away" the remaining years of his contract extension that he stupidly signed. It's nobody's fault but his.

This is about team and when we were going to all those SB and just after, those superstars took less to remain part of the team.

Bert102176
04-16-2009, 12:34 PM
Oy, the drama continues. If Peters does sign and gets the $$$ he wants, he'd better play b*lls to the wall for the whole season!

for the whole contract not just the season

jamze132
04-16-2009, 12:48 PM
I don't want Jason "The Douche" Peters for that much money. I just don't see how he is going to live up to that contract. His heart isn't in the right place and what's to prevent him from his mysterious injuries popping up at the most inconvenient times...again, and again?

I'll pass.

Luisito23
04-16-2009, 12:54 PM
Butler vs Butler- push

OP I think you're being way too harsh on Butler....No way is he even close to being as good as Butler!