PDA

View Full Version : Bills have Maybin as 4.65 to 4.7 in 40

The Spaz
04-15-2009, 12:24 PM
There’s been a wide disparity of 40 times on Penn State OLB/DE Aaron Maybin this offseason after his well publicized pro day, with some reports of 4.53 times and such. The Bills, like every other team have their times on him.

Bills VP of College Scouting Tom Modrak has him in the mid 4.6s on his watch.

“He’s a 4.65 or 4.7 guy,” said Modrak. ”That’s him basically. He may run faster on some days, but that’s true on every day. He runs fast, he covers the field. His play speed is very good. It may be even more of an issue. You’d like to have the support of the clock, but his play speed is real good.”

Oftentimes scouts rely more on a prospect’s playing speed than timed speed, and Maybin made his share of plays despite a 40 time that doesn’t blow anyone away for someone that’s supposed to be an elite pass rusher. With a thin college resume of production and lacking an elite measurable it’ll be interesting to see how teams value him.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2009/04/15/bills-have-maybin-as-465-to-47-in-40/

Night Train
04-15-2009, 12:33 PM
40 times in shorts means nothing to me. Jerry Rice was 4.65.

I watch film and Maybin just blows by OT's and completely changes the OC's gameplan.

Like Modrak stated " His play speed is very good " and that's the bottom line.

The Spaz
04-15-2009, 12:36 PM
40 times in shorts means nothing to me. Jerry Rice was 4.65.

I watch film and Maybin just blows by OT's and completely changes the OC's gameplan.

Like Modrak stated " His play speed is very good " and that's the bottom line.

True and he has the quickest 1sts step of any de this year.

justasportsfan
04-15-2009, 12:36 PM
I've never seen Modrak more vocal in the past about the draft. Maybe it is true that he did have a limited role in the past and now he has more of a say.

Mahdi
04-15-2009, 12:49 PM
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ys-behindthetimes031109&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Maybin has the fastest 10 yard split of any DE in the draft. That is the most telling stat IMO.

Night Train
04-15-2009, 12:53 PM
True and he has the quickest 1sts step of any de this year.

He may be best at OLB off the edge.

ServoBillieves
04-15-2009, 01:23 PM
If he falls to us, I look at him as a no brainer to get drafted. Start him at Crow's old spot, and let him cause havoc in the backfield.

ParanoidAndroid
04-15-2009, 01:29 PM
If he falls to us, I look at him as a no brainer to get drafted. Start him at Crow's old spot, and let him cause havoc in the backfield.

Crowell's spot in a cover-2 does not rush the passer. Why would we draft him because he's a good pass rusher and then not use him as one? Either he's able to play as a 4-3 DE or pass on him.

OpIv37
04-15-2009, 01:42 PM
The 40 yard dash is a poor metric for OLB/DE anyway. How many plays are there where an OLB or DE has to run 40 yards in a straight line?

patmoran2006
04-15-2009, 04:09 PM
Some analysts are calling him the next Terrell Suggs, I'll be watching SF's pick VERY anxiously; praying Sanchez is on the board at #10.

venis2k1
04-15-2009, 04:41 PM
Ill worry about it when QBs start taking forty step drops.

yordad
04-15-2009, 04:47 PM
Crowell's spot in a cover-2 does not rush the passer. Why would we draft him because he's a good pass rusher and then not use him as one? Either he's able to play as a 4-3 DE or pass on him.Maybe he could do both good.

methos4ever
04-15-2009, 07:53 PM
Some analysts are calling him the next Terrell Suggs, I'll be watching SF's pick VERY anxiously; praying Sanchez is on the board at #10.

A lot of people are also saying because of his age and size he can grow into whatever a team would want him to be, which is scary!

ServoBillieves
04-15-2009, 08:10 PM
Crowell's spot in a cover-2 does not rush the passer. Why would we draft him because he's a good pass rusher and then not use him as one? Either he's able to play as a 4-3 DE or pass on him.

So you'd rather have Ellison in the OLB position on rushing downs than Maybin? He's got a quick first step, is great in the run, and if we draft him first overall, you'd rather him ride the bench behind Kelsay, Schobel, and Denney? If you draft even Everett Brown in the first, he needs to at least be considered in the starting OLB gaping hole we have.

ParanoidAndroid
04-16-2009, 02:56 AM
So you'd rather have Ellison in the OLB position on rushing downs than Maybin? He's got a quick first step, is great in the run, and if we draft him first overall, you'd rather him ride the bench behind Kelsay, Schobel, and Denney? If you draft even Everett Brown in the first, he needs to at least be considered in the starting OLB gaping hole we have.

That's not the point. If Maybin is drafted it will be to play DE, not OLB. He will be counted on to rush the passer from the DE spot, not drop back in coverage on pass plays like the weak side OLB does. It makes no sense to put him at OLB in this system.

Mahdi
04-16-2009, 07:27 AM
The cover 2 is designed to incorporate DL who can attack and LBs that can cover. Not the other way around.

Drafting a DE who attacks like Maybin and asking him to cover in space as a OLB while Kelsay tries real hard to attack is not going to happen.

My prediction is a DE in round 1, TE in round 2, OC/OG in round 3, SS in round 4 and a OLB in round 5.