PDA

View Full Version : Chargers Draft Review (By:Brett Perkins)

TypicalBill
05-15-2003, 05:47 AM
With the departure of Alex Molden and Rodney Harrison as well as the unfortunate retention of Rogers Beckett, it was obvious that the Chargers would have to draft a Defensive Back or two. They selected four. That my friend is the way you “fill a need”. Local pundits/fans were a little dismayed by this perceived overkill and even less thrilled by the choosing of a Punter and an unknown Tackle. This is strong proof that the Chargers did well.

Round One (30): Sammy Davis (CB/Texas A&M)- Did the Bolts bail out of the #15 spot because the prime Defensive Tackles were gone or did they have a master plan for getting maximum value from their Cornerback picks? Either way, (and seriously have you ever heard a General Manager who didn’t act like he got exactly who he wanted?) I personally like this pick. Sammy Davis is exactly the type of Corner they’re seeking. He’s big and aggressive, thrives on Bump and Run and doesn’t seem to fear isolation. Like his new counterpart, Quentin Jammer, he likes it physical. This brand of Corner play is the keystone to Marty’s defensive vision. It allows for more variety (Safety blitz anyone?) and sets the tone for more attacking and less waiting. Another plus mark on Sammy’s side is his experience. He’s started for three seasons in a major conference that features everything from Nebraska’s pitch game to Texas Tech’s obscene aerial assault. The Chargers are already young so a guy with a big game resume is nice. The knock on Sammy Davis is that he gets distracted and sloppy. The same was said for Jammer and a thousand other Corners that were rarely thrown at because of their skill. Physical guys want to be involved in every play and when they’re not they get frustrated and eventually sloppy and inconsistent. I like Sammy’s attitude and think he will tighten it up with the newly raised stakes. This isn’t a ticker-tape choice (ala Newman, Trufant) but from a scheme-fitting point of view this was a savvy selection. Sammy should press Tay Cody for a starting spot but will probably have to settle for Nickel work this season.

READ MORE (http://www.nfldraftblitz.com/chargers.htm)