PDA

View Full Version : Rey Maualuga is the pick and we could get another pick on top of that!!!

HHURRICANE
04-15-2009, 08:54 PM
Unless by some miracle Curry or Orakpo is sitting there at number 11 the only thing close to a sure thing is Rey Maualuga. The guy can play and we could actually trade out of our spot if Sanchez is there at 11 and pick up Rey Maualuga at #13 or #17.

Ayers and Maybin, which alot of boards have us taking, look incredibly risky.

The Bills can't afford a project pick in the first.

Thoughts?

camelcowboy
04-15-2009, 08:59 PM
He projected more as a middle lb. Move poz outside? Cushing more likely the pick.

HHURRICANE
04-15-2009, 09:00 PM
He projected more as a middle lb. Move poz outside? Cushing more likely the pick.

Yes move Poz. I think most would agree with that.

HHURRICANE
04-15-2009, 09:00 PM
PS. I'm not sold on Cushing, at all.

Dr. Lecter
04-15-2009, 09:01 PM
If they take Maualuga or Maybin I will break numerous items in my house and in other people's houses.

Just say no to either of those two.

HHURRICANE
04-15-2009, 09:11 PM
If they take Maualuga or Maybin I will break numerous items in my house and in other people's houses.

I agree on Maybin. If not Maualuga than who?? Why are you down on Rey.

Forward_Lateral
04-15-2009, 09:11 PM

And Pettigrew. If they draft Pettigrew, I'll break my 42 inch tv.

Dr. Lecter
04-15-2009, 09:19 PM
I agree on Maybin. If not Maualuga than who?? Why are you down on Rey.

I do not like his ability to recognize plays and react to them. I though he got by at USC due to the great athletes with him on defense and was able to clean up on plays they forced and he was able to cover up his lack of reaction time/quickness/speed by having so much talent around him.

I love the attitude and fire, but am not sure it will translate to the NFL.

HHURRICANE
04-15-2009, 09:23 PM
I do not like his ability to recognize plays and react to them. I though he got by at USC due to the great athletes with him on defense and was able to clean up on plays they forced and he was able to cover up his lack of reaction time/quickness/speed by having so much talent around him.

I love the attitude and fire, but am not sure it will translate to the NFL.

Depends which USC LB is McCargo in this scenario. Rey, IMO, is the best athlete and has the best chance of transitioning quickly to the NFL.

SeatownBillsFan21
04-15-2009, 09:28 PM
Rey over Crushing i watch a lot of pac 10 ball being on the westcoast and all i think Rey is the safer pick if we go that direction

Raptor
04-15-2009, 09:31 PM
I dont even think we will consider him mainly because I dont think the Bills want to move Poz outside, and I agree with them, if they did they would have moved him there last year and put Digi inside when Crow went down

Devin
04-15-2009, 09:34 PM
Muaualaualalauauauaga would be a terrible pick in my opinion.

Hes a terrible tackler, in the NFL I truly think he will just sort of bounce off people. I dont think technique wise hes very disciplined, as someone else pointed out in another thread he pretty much doesnt cover his gaps at all. And from what ive seen he just plain and simple doesnt wrap up well.

Imo hed be a terrible pick for us, we dont need to add any more ineptitude at LB.

psubills62
04-15-2009, 09:37 PM
Yeah, I'm not a fan of Maualuga. If you've read his scouting report, you'll see that he's almost exactly like Poz. What's the point in replacing Poz with a guy just like him? Him and James Laurinaitis, I don't see anything impressive about either one. Both of them just seem to disappear in games.

Cushing would be fine, imo. He brings a good blitzing ability that many of our OLB's don't have.

Devin
04-15-2009, 09:39 PM
Poz coming out was a far better prospect imo

HHURRICANE
04-15-2009, 09:40 PM
We need a LB who can play. He's an NFL caliber player and we could pick up a pick if we trade down. I wouldn't take him at #11 but with an extra pick I'd take him at #17.

I hate the DE options in this year's draft.

bigbub2352
04-15-2009, 10:00 PM
Rey is exactly what we need at 11 assuming we dont trade Peters, i have said since the day we drafted Poz he is better outside and was more effective outside at PSU
Lets face it we need playmakers on D, i dont care what the so called draft experts say, i seen rey play more than a few times the last 2 yrs and he is exactly that a playmaker, who is a hell of a blitzer and hitter, would bring enthusiam and leadership to our D and strike some much needed fear to the opposing teams

I would luv this pick all day

DieHrdBillsFan23
04-15-2009, 10:02 PM
If we draft a LB, it will be Clint Sintim in the 2nd round. We are not drafting a LB in the 1st, when we need someone to rush the passer. Everrette Brown will be the pick, or if Raji falls because of his appartent postive test, he will be the pick. LB in the the 2nd or 3rd, but not the first.

Devin
04-15-2009, 10:05 PM
Rey is a second round LB. Any team drafting him in the top half of the 1st round is going to be dissapointed.

Tatonka
04-15-2009, 11:01 PM
i personally think that clay matthews is the best of the 3. he is definately the best in coverage and he is a sure tackler and can rush the passer.. he would probably be a weak side linebacker, meaning that mitchell would go to strong side, which he is probably better suited for anyways..

matthews actually had to earn his spot on the USC team.. he earned everything he got.. and was raised by a true pro.. he will be the best of the three imho.

The Spaz
04-15-2009, 11:12 PM
I like Clay Matthews as well. Rumors are the Patriots really like him.

thenry20
04-16-2009, 01:03 AM

I DO NOT understand why so many fans believe that Poz would be effective as an OLB. They complain about his speed and tackling prowess. Sorry but IMO he belongs on the inside.

Whoever we draft in the first round has got to be somebody who will start right away. This means OG or OLB.

jimbohastle51
04-16-2009, 01:16 AM
i will stick with what i have been saying since the off season started, i have a "friend" who has told me that they are going to draft maualuga at 11. i tend to believe if not him it will still be a USC linebacker like matthews or cushing but i really do think maualuga will be our pick. i also think if we trade peters we are still going to draft a LB at 11 and try to position ourselves for the arizona tackle in the late first early second and take casey or cook with the 2nd round pick. we will take a guard somewhere between 2-3 but do not be surprised if hangartner and mckinney are the starters at G and C and if they switch the 2 around a bit especially during camp because they both play both positions. mckinney has been a starter in the league for years so it wouldnt surprise me at all if he beat out what little talent we have on the team as well as a rookie that has never played NFL ball before.

kid mickey
04-16-2009, 01:42 AM
I really like Cushing. What he brings to the table is good. Solid instincts. Sure tackling. Plays with a mean streak. Good size, good strength. Of the 3 USC backers I like him the most. He can play multiple positions and he could come in and play right away. If Everette Brown isn't available that would be my pick. If neither one of those guys are available I would go with Brandon Pettigrew. I would not reach on guys like Maybin or Ayers.

Nighthawk
04-16-2009, 06:43 AM
I DO NOT understand why so many fans believe that Poz would be effective as an OLB. They complain about his speed and tackling prowess. Sorry but IMO he belongs on the inside.

Whoever we draft in the first round has got to be somebody who will start right away. This means OG or OLB.

Umm, because until his Senior season in college he played OLB and was VERY good at it. Poz's natural position is outside and that is why if they decided to move him there it wouldn't be a bad thing.

Mahdi
04-16-2009, 07:14 AM
Unless by some miracle Curry or Orakpo is sitting there at number 11 the only thing close to a sure thing is Rey Maualuga. The guy can play and we could actually trade out of our spot if Sanchez is there at 11 and pick up Rey Maualuga at #13 or #17.

Thoughts?
I can pretty much guarantee you that Maualuga will not be the pick. They will take another Ohio State CB before they take a LB with their first pick. LBs in the cover 2 are not hard to find.

Ingtar33
04-16-2009, 07:24 AM
Muaualaualalauauauaga would be a terrible pick in my opinion.

Hes a terrible tackler, in the NFL I truly think he will just sort of bounce off people. I dont think technique wise hes very disciplined, as someone else pointed out in another thread he pretty much doesnt cover his gaps at all. And from what ive seen he just plain and simple doesnt wrap up well.

Imo hed be a terrible pick for us, we dont need to add any more ineptitude at LB.

pretty much how i see him. He overruns his gap assignments all the time, rarely wraps up, and often goes for the "hit" over the tackle.

Worse.. he doesn't even look at the man he's hitting half the time. I shutter when i think about what a good open field runner will do to him in the NFL. He's got more physical talent then poz... but he's no where near as good at pretty much everything (he is a slightly better blitzer).

If he goes in round 1, it will be because people see the physical talent and think they can teach the bad habits out of him. But top half of round 1? no.. that's a horrible pick in the top half of round one.

kscdogbillsfan1221
04-16-2009, 07:26 AM
pretty much how i see him. He overruns his gap assignments all the time, rarely wraps up, and often goes for the "hit" over the tackle.

so.... if you change 'hit' for two hand touch, you're calling him a kawika mitchell clone then, huh?

HHURRICANE
04-16-2009, 07:28 AM
matthews actually had to earn his spot on the USC team.. he earned everything he got.. and was raised by a true pro.. he will be the best of the three imho.

This is exactly why I don't want him. I'm sick and tired of high motor guys. I want the athlete, the guy that is the gifted athlete. Rey, I believe, played as a freshman, and was a stud his whole time there.

New England passed on McKelvin because I believe they didn't think he had the smarts. Well guess what? He's not that smart but he's got pure ability which you can't teach at any level.

I am athletic but my daughter is an athlete. The difference is that I have to work hard every day to do the things my daughter can do without thinking about it.

Mahdi
04-16-2009, 07:32 AM
This is exactly why I don't want him. I'm sick and tired of high motor guys. I want the athlete, the guy that is the gifted athlete. Rey, I believe, played as a freshman, and was a stud his whole time there.

New England passed on McKelvin because I believe they didn't think he had the smarts. Well guess what? He's not that smart but he's got pure ability which you can't teach at any level.

I am athletic but my daughter is an athlete. The difference is that I have to work hard every day to do the things my daughter can do without thinking about it.
Clay Mathews is actually a better athlete than Cushing and Maualuga. He outperformed them at the combine and had the fastest 10 yard split among all DL and LBs.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ys-behindthetimes031109&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Tatonka
04-16-2009, 07:35 AM

um.. i didnt say he wasnt a supreme athlete.. he is. he just earned his playing time.. it wasnt given to him.

I am not the only one that thinks he will be the best pro.

The Spaz
04-16-2009, 07:38 AM

There are guys athletic all over the NFL but don't try and think they are owed something because they were elite there whole amateur career. I'll take a guy who busts his ass everyday over the guy who only feels like playing only once in a while but has "athletic" ability". Also Matthews is an athlete he ran a 4.65 40 and had a 35 inch vertical which are better measurables than Rey. Matthews has NFL blood in him and that's a good thing. I also just do not like Rey at all. I think he likes to lay the wood and that's all I like about him.

HHURRICANE
04-16-2009, 07:46 AM
There are guys athletic all over the NFL but don't try and think they are owed something because they were elite there whole amateur career. I'll take a guy who busts his ass everyday over the guy who only feels like playing only once in a while but has "athletic" ability". Also Matthews is an athlete he ran a 4.65 40 and had a 35 inch vertical which are better measurables than Rey. Matthews has NFL blood in him and that's a good thing. I also just do not like Rey at all. I think he likes to lay the wood and that's all I like about him.

The only time I look at the combine numbers is when the player is either unbelieveably good or unbeleivably bad.

Rey is the better athlete where it counts...on the field. Our D played better last year when Yobouty was out there popping people. We need a guy who likes contact and that's Maualuga brings.

Lou Holtz thought Maualuga was the best LB there and said he was like an AJ Hawk. FYI.

Matthews is another Poz.

Mahdi
04-16-2009, 07:51 AM
The only time I look at the combine numbers is when the player is either unbelieveably good or unbeleivably bad.

Rey is the better athlete where it counts...on the field. Our D played better last year when Yobouty was out there popping people. We need a guy who likes contact and that's Maualuga brings.

Lou Holtz thought Maualuga was the best LB there and said he was like an AJ Hawk. FYI.

Matthews is another Poz.
Mathews and Poz are nothing alike. Mathews is faster, quicker and stronger. Not saying he is better or going to be better, although Poz hasn't done much yet, but there is no comparison between the 2 athletically.

The Spaz
04-16-2009, 07:52 AM

Matthews is another Poz.

I'll take a player who is a sure tackler pretty much every time over the guy who has a monster tackle 1 out of 10 tries.

mayotm
04-16-2009, 08:19 AM
PS. I'm not sold on Cushing, at all.Have you scouted Cushing as thoroughly as you did Crabtree?

HHURRICANE
04-16-2009, 08:23 AM
Have you scouted Cushing as thoroughly as you did Crabtree?

I'm not the only one that thinks Crabtree may be a bust at the NFL level. However, if everyone knew how players were going to turn out we wouldn't ever need to speculate.

psubills62
04-16-2009, 08:35 AM
I'm not the only one that thinks Crabtree may be a bust at the NFL level. However, if everyone knew how players were going to turn out we wouldn't ever need to speculate.

Out of curiosity, who else thinks Crabtree will bust? If there are any articles or anything out there, I'd like to read them.

HHURRICANE
04-16-2009, 08:36 AM
Have you scouted Cushing as thoroughly as you did Crabtree?

Just for the record have you done your home work on Crabtree? Because I have and I'll give you the reasons why I think he's going to not do well in the NFL:

1) He's slow. If he had run at the combine people are convinced that he would have run a 4.5-4.6 40. To keep it in perespective Fitzgerald and Johnson both run a 4.3.

2) If you are not that fast than you need to be bigger. Well he's not. I've been told he's barely 6' even though he's reported as 6' 1.

3) He doesn't have a very good vertical jump. Again 34" vs. a 45" by calvin Johnson. Good luck getting th jump ball.

4) Texas Tech didn't excatly play a great schedule so it wasn't like he had good competition to compare to.

So you have a guy, that's not that fast, can't jump that high, not that big, who played a weak schedule and I'm supposed to not think that he could be a bust?

mayotm
04-16-2009, 08:39 AM
I'm not the only one that thinks Crabtree may be a bust at the NFL level. However, if everyone knew how players were going to turn out we wouldn't ever need to speculate.I'm sure you're not and obviously it's all specualtion at this point. However,your analysis on Crabtree appears to have been viewing a few youtube highlights. Therefore, your opinion is uninformed.

HHURRICANE
04-16-2009, 08:41 AM
I'm sure you're not and obviously it's all specualtion at this point. However,your analysis on Crabtree appears to have been viewing a few youtube highlights. Therefore, your opinion is uninformed.

I don't watch youtube but I found it funny that flyingdouche used that as his argumnet. Read above. I'd love to see your counter argument.

Crabtree looks good in this draft because there's not much there, like last year.

The Spaz
04-16-2009, 08:50 AM
1) He's slow. If he had run at the combine people are convinced that he would have run a 4.5-4.6 40. To keep it in perespective Fitzgerald and Johnson both run a 4.3.

2 names Jerry Rice and Cris Carter as far as 40 yard dash. Also Fitzgerald didn't workout at the combine so no he wasn't a 4.3 guy. Every report I read had him between 4.5 and 4.6 so no Fitzgerald is not a burner.

EDS
04-16-2009, 08:52 AM
I think I change my mind on this every day but right now I think Maybin is the pick. He is no where near a finished product and may take some time like Gholston, but the upside and potential pass rush abilities are there.

HHURRICANE
04-16-2009, 08:56 AM
2 names Jerry Rice and Cris Carter as far as 40 yard dash. Also Fitzgerald didn't workout at the combine so no he wasn't a 4.3 guy. Every report I read had him between 4.5 and 4.6 so no Fitzgerald is not a burner.

Fitzgerald ran a bad 40 at the combine but he has also been clocked at 4.38. Crabtree has never, ever run better than a 4.53.

And yes, I completely agree that there is no one parameter that will determine how a player does in the NFL but Crabtree is treated like a can't miss which makes him a canidate for a bust when he has a few things stacked against him.

HHURRICANE
04-16-2009, 08:59 AM

PS. Every year I hear the Jerry Rice argument.

I'm not picking on you but I made 4 solid points and the birds are chirping.

psubills62
04-16-2009, 09:00 AM
Just for the record have you done your home work on Crabtree? Because I have and I'll give you the reasons why I think he's going to not do well in the NFL:

2) If you are not that fast than you need to be bigger. Well he's not. I've been told he's barely 6' even though he's reported as 6' 1.

3) He doesn't have a very good vertical jump. Again 34" vs. a 45" by calvin Johnson. Good luck getting th jump ball.

4) Texas Tech didn't excatly play a great schedule so it wasn't like he had good competition to compare to.

So you have a guy, that's not that fast, can't jump that high, not that big, who played a weak schedule and I'm supposed to not think that he could be a bust?

1) Are you kidding? Do I really have to call you out on this?

http://maxnfldraft.blogspot.com/2007/04/how-important-are-40-times.html

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2004/draft/players/46239.html

Larry Fitzgerald ran in the 4.5's and 4.6's. Please find me anywhere that says he has 4.3 speed. Also notice Anquan Boldin's 40 time, who Crabtree also compares very well to.

2) You've been TOLD that he's barely 6'? Why don't you try looking at the official combine measurements:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2009combine/2009-wide-receivers-nfl-combine-results.html

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/michael-crabtree?id=71269

Looks like 6'1" to me, and it's not just his height, it's his build too. He knows how to use his body to shield the ball.

3) So far, that's his reported vertical jump. Nothing official yet, as far as I know. Oh, and maybe take a look at this:

http://www.nextseasonsports.com/2009/02/seahawks-crabtrees-arm-length-freakish.html

His arms are actually longer than most of the elite WR's that are taller than him.

4) Didn't play elite competition? Come on, I can't believe that's an argument. Wow...you do realize he played on a Big 12 team, not a WAC team or anything?

HHURRICANE
I think I change my mind on this every day but right now I think Maybin is the pick. He is no where near a finished product and may take some time like Gholston, but the upside and potential pass rush abilities are there.

Both Maybin and Ayers look like projects. I just don't have the patience for that.

The Spaz
Fitzgerald ran a bad 40 at the combine but he has also been clocked at 4.38. Crabtree has never, ever run better than a 4.53.

And yes, I completely agree that there is no one parameter that will determine how a player does in the NFL but Crabtree is treated like a can't miss which makes him a canidate for a bust when he has a few things stacked against him.

Hello he didn't run at the combine.

psubills62

I've given you some references as to where my numbers come from, but where the heck are you getting yours? I'd actually like to know where you got this from.

psubills62
04-16-2009, 09:02 AM
Both Maybin and Ayers look like projects. I just don't have the patience for that.

Ayers is much less of a project than Maybin. Ayers has the build, he just needs some technique and repertoire work. Maybin needs a lot of polishing, and a lot of body building work.

HHURRICANE
04-16-2009, 09:15 AM
1) Are you kidding? Do I really have to call you out on this?

http://maxnfldraft.blogspot.com/2007/04/how-important-are-40-times.html

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2004/draft/players/46239.html

Larry Fitzgerald ran in the 4.5's and 4.6's. Please find me anywhere that says he has 4.3 speed. Also notice Anquan Boldin's 40 time, who Crabtree also compares very well to.

2) You've been TOLD that he's barely 6'? Why don't you try looking at the official combine measurements:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2009combine/2009-wide-receivers-nfl-combine-results.html

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/michael-crabtree?id=71269

Looks like 6'1" to me, and it's not just his height, it's his build too. He knows how to use his body to shield the ball.

3) So far, that's his reported vertical jump. Nothing official yet, as far as I know. Oh, and maybe take a look at this:

http://www.nextseasonsports.com/2009/02/seahawks-crabtrees-arm-length-freakish.html

His arms are actually longer than most of the elite WR's that are taller than him.

4) Didn't play elite competition? Come on, I can't believe that's an argument. Wow...you do realize he played on a Big 12 team, not a WAC team or anything?

You can't conveniently ignore stuff when you put them all together:

1) The guy is not a burner. So he can't get away with his size like Lee Evans can. He's run no better than a 4.53. FACT

2) His vertical jump is ordinary at 34". FACT

3) Texas Tech did not have that competitive of a schedule. FACT. Even the major scouting reports site that as a negative.

This guy got tagged alot from behind and he's not going to win alot of jump balls in the NFL like he did in college. Even James Hardy found out that it's not that easy.

The guy looks like a good slot receiver which you don't draft in the top ten.

Hey I could be wrong. Just my opinion.

Dr. Lecter
04-16-2009, 09:18 AM

1) The guy is not a burner. So he can't get away with his size like Lee Evans can. He's run no better than a 4.53. FACT

3) Texas Tech did not have that competitive of a schedule. FACT. Even the major scouting reports site that as a negative.

This guy got tagged alot from behind and he's not going to win alot of jump balls in the NFL like he did in college. Even James Hardy found out that it's not that easy.

1.Nobody said he is a burner. He does not need to be. TO is not a burner like Evans. Neither are Boldin or Fitzgerald. He is bigger and stronger than Evans.

2. With very long arms, which at least partially offset the leap.

3. Major scouting reports also list him as a sure fire prospect. So which is it - are these places right or wrong? Or are they right when it is conducive to your argument?

psubills62
04-16-2009, 09:27 AM

I love how you just completely change topic. You've said that Fitzgerald ran in the 4.3's. I showed you otherwise, and I asked for a link to where it says that he ran in the 4.3's.

As far as Crabtree goes, I've said many times that I agree he's not a burner. And how is it a FACT that the guy has a 34" vertical when he has no official numbers? So you take for granted the 34" vertical, but you ignore every official number on his height to go by hearsay?

Show me a scouting report that says his strength of competition is an issue. I'd like to see one. Texas Tech played two teams that were ranked #1 this past year. Please, feel free to post links to back up what you're saying.

Crabtree is infinitely more polished than Hardy was his rookie year. Crabtree will win jump balls because he knows how to position his body. Hardy doesn't know how to use his body yet.

This is like a case of a little kid not listening to the things he doesn't want to hear. I listed 10 positives, 11 including his incredibly arm length, and you don't even acknowledge them.

And until you start putting links up to these things (e.g. scouting reports that say his strength of competition is an issue, Fitzgerald's supposed 4.38 40 time, etc.), I just have to assume you're making up everything you say. Because you've referenced zero sources throughout this entire conversation.

HHURRICANE
04-16-2009, 09:28 AM
1.Nobody said he is a burner. He does not need to be. TO is not a burner like Evans. Neither are Boldin or Fitzgerald. He is bigger and stronger than Evans.

2. With very long arms, which at least partially offset the leap.

3. Major scouting reports also list him as a sure fire prospect. So which is it - are these places right or wrong? Or are they right when it is conducive to your argument?

Dude, there are places calling him a sure fire pick. I think Kiper or someone said he's as good as fitzgerald. No argument from me. Matter-of-fact I'll admit that I'm in the minority.

However, I've heard a bunch of guys on Sirrius and ESPN voice my concerns as well.

I'm surprised that Calvin Johnson hasn't been more dominant and I thought he was the best receiver coming out of the draft in years.

Obvioulsy all of these argumnets are just that. Just my opinion and everyone is entitled to theirs.

I will say that he's not the slam dunk of this draft and that I'm sticking to.

I thought Patrick Willis was a sure fire pick and he was. Crabtree doesn't fall in that category.

justasportsfan
04-16-2009, 09:31 AM
At first I thought Rey would be okay but both he and Cushing would be reaches at 11.

HHURRICANE
04-16-2009, 09:32 AM
Not that this happens too often but I just got justified:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d80fcb576&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

DRELOVESBills
04-16-2009, 09:33 AM

well what's your reason for not taking them!!! you just can't say **** like that and not have proof to back up your case!! maualuga is legit!!

psubills62
04-16-2009, 09:40 AM

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d80fcb576&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Yeah, that was a great clip where he threw down the guy that didn't catch the ball.

HHURRICANE
04-16-2009, 09:44 AM
I love how you just completely change topic. You've said that Fitzgerald ran in the 4.3's. I showed you otherwise, and I asked for a link to where it says that he ran in the 4.3's.

As far as Crabtree goes, I've said many times that I agree he's not a burner. And how is it a FACT that the guy has a 34" vertical when he has no official numbers? So you take for granted the 34" vertical, but you ignore every official number on his height to go by hearsay?

http://studentsports.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=403038

You realize that these kids run 40s there entire HS and college career?

justasportsfan
04-16-2009, 09:45 AM
well what's your reason for not taking them!!! you just can't say **** like that and not have proof to back up your case!! maualuga is legit!!there's no proof since they haven't played yet.

The Spaz
04-16-2009, 09:45 AM

NFL landing spot: San Diego (No. 16), Denver (No. 18) or Detroit (No. 20). St. Louis also could use Maualuga and might trade its high second-round draft pick to get back into the first round and have a shot at him.

No thanks at 11.

The Spaz
04-16-2009, 09:48 AM

No who would have thought they run 40 yard dashes?!:rolleyes: Sorry I'll take my 5 sources that say he was a 4.5-4.6 guy and not a 4.4 or less.

EDS
04-16-2009, 09:50 AM

No question they are both projects. And I can't say that my patience is not wearing thin either. I do agree that linebacker is a big need but I just don't think any of the linebackers (with the obvious exception of Curry, who will be long gone) are good values with the 11th pick. None of the USC linebackers are as good prospects as Rivers was last year.

psubills62
04-16-2009, 09:54 AM

You realize that 1) those times are hand-timed and are usually slightly fast, and 2) that's a report from HIGH SCHOOL. High school...and if I have to explain why that's significant, then this is just ridiculous.

Oh, and read the article. I see zero references to 4.3 speed...the only actual time I see is 4.46

Night Train
04-16-2009, 10:15 AM

I feel the same way about TE Pettigrew.

HHURRICANE
04-16-2009, 10:17 AM
NFL landing spot: San Diego (No. 16), Denver (No. 18) or Detroit (No. 20). St. Louis also could use Maualuga and might trade its high second-round draft pick to get back into the first round and have a shot at him.

No thanks at 11.

No where in my thread have I said at #11. I'm hoping for scenario where we can trade our spot so someone can take Sanchez and than we take Rey later with an extra pick in our pocket.

Night Train
04-16-2009, 10:22 AM
LB Laurinaitis from Ohio St. would be fine be me. He can start inside or out, much like Poz. Plays out of his mind on every play.

kernowboy
04-16-2009, 10:26 AM
I think we will go for Everette Brown at No11 - although light for a LE he has played here for Flordia St and could be teamed with Schobel.

I think Peters will hold out. I think we will trade him to the Lions who will offer their R2 (2009) and R2 (2010)

With their pick I think we'll pick up James Laurinitas to replace Ellison. Though a MLB with the Buckeyes he can play WLB and give us a heavy duty LB Corps that can cover any running defence liabilities the ends have.

With our own R2 pick we can look at a LT like Meredith or Cadogan. Ugoh has been a decent LT from R2 but even if they cannot start immediately, Walker can cover until they are ready.

psubills62
04-16-2009, 10:27 AM
LB Laurinaitis from Ohio St. would be fine be me. He can start inside or out, much like Poz. Plays out of his mind on every play.

Not a fan of him either, and I live in Big Ten country so I see him play quite a bit. He's not a game-changer in any way, and I've seen him get run over a lot. Whenever I watched OSU play, I almost never, ever noticed him on the field.

IMO, our defense really needs a guy who can make big plays. We have a lot of the "solid, yet unspectacular" players who simply make a lot of tackles but don't force a lot of fumbles, make INT's, or get big sacks. Laurinaitis and Maualuga, imo, aren't those kinds of guys.

Night Train
04-16-2009, 10:50 AM
The one guy I really like is that Clint Sintim of Virginia.

Reminds me a bit of Talley. Mean streak with all out hustle. Led the nation in QB sacks from the LB position. Projected late 1st, early 2nd but what do these draft site people know. ( Whitner anyone ? )

Night Train
04-16-2009, 10:57 AM
Not a fan of him either, and I live in Big Ten country so I see him play quite a bit. He's not a game-changer in any way, and I've seen him get run over a lot. Whenever I watched OSU play, I almost never, ever noticed him on the field.

IMO, our defense really needs a guy who can make big plays. We have a lot of the "solid, yet unspectacular" players who simply make a lot of tackles but don't force a lot of fumbles, make INT's, or get big sacks. Laurinaitis and Maualuga, imo, aren't those kinds of guys.

I don't watch him quite a bit. I watch him every week. Ohio St. is my team.

376 tackles 4 forced fumbles, 9 INT's and 3 time 1st team All-American...

...and you barely noticed him. :whistling

psubills62
04-16-2009, 11:10 AM
I don't watch him quite a bit. I watch him every week. Ohio St. is my team.

376 tackles 4 forced fumbles, 9 INT's and 3 time 1st team All-American...

...and you barely noticed him. :whistling

Yes, I barely noticed him. What did he do against Penn State? What did he do against USC? Almost nothing. Just because he can rack up tackling numbers by piling on doesn't mean much.

The only impressive number there is the tackles, and like I said, he never made any game-changing tackles, and frequently got run over.

kernowboy
04-16-2009, 11:16 AM
9 INTs isn't too shabby for a LB

acehole
04-16-2009, 11:52 AM
I like him at ILB ....Poz seem over matched at times in the middle and yes a trade down is correct for him at 11 ...that is high for him....I like the player seems like a Bill.

Thoughts?

Bert102176
04-16-2009, 12:01 PM

in our D, I think they both will be busts

Bert102176
04-16-2009, 12:06 PM
if we can get a DL that can get consistant pressure on the QB you'll see our LB's aren't that bad once schobal wen't down we had no pressure on the QB I think DE is our top need