PDA

View Full Version : Bills won’t rule out TE pass catchers

The Spaz
04-16-2009, 08:02 AM
In a perfect world the Bills, just like any other NFL club, would love to land a tight end in the draft that has blocking and pass catching skills that are equally effective in a prospect’s game. They bring more versatility and more unpredictability to a team’s offense. But with Oklahoma State’s Brandon Pettigrew the only all-around talent in the draft pool, the Bills are open to taking a tight end of the pass catching variety.

“I think it is fluid,” said Bills Vice President of College Scouting Tom Modrak. “We really don’t try to paint ourselves into a corner. We look and try to see where the value is for a guy and if he can help you in certain ways.”

As open as the Bills might be to taking a pass catching tight end, what has to be considered is the kind of fit such a player would be in Buffalo’s offensive scheme.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/bills-wont-rule-out-te-pass-catchers/33037cd6-4384-4354-97a3-7f88ba515fca

kernowboy
04-16-2009, 10:28 AM
I wouldn't rule out Dan Gronkowski. Although a blocking TE, he has size and has shown nice hands when given the chance.

With Owens, Evans and Reed in the WR Corps this year, we can always look at someone like Gresham in 2010.

psubills62
04-16-2009, 10:46 AM
I wouldn't rule out Dan Gronkowski. Although a blocking TE, he has size and has shown nice hands when given the chance.

With Owens, Evans and Reed in the WR Corps this year, we can always look at someone like Gresham in 2010.

They did talk to him at the combine. He also has the ability to stretch the field. I wouldn't mind Gronkowski in the 4th or so.

The Spaz
04-16-2009, 10:50 AM
They did talk to him at the combine. He also has the ability to stretch the field. I wouldn't mind Gronkowski in the 4th or so.

I don't mind him but no way in the 4th. This guy could be had in the 6th or possibly even a priority free agent.

justasportsfan
04-16-2009, 11:54 AM
Could be our pick if we end up trading Peters since Petigrew can block.

venis2k1
04-16-2009, 11:57 AM
Im still hoping to trade for a proven pass catching TE. Tony Scheffler or an Owen Daniels.

OpIv37
04-16-2009, 12:04 PM
Seriously, I hope this is just a pre-draft smoke screen, because I have a hard time believing that this FO could be that ****ing dumb.

Our OL is shaky and could get even more shaky if we trade Peters. We just added Owens and have one of the better starting WR duos in the league with TO and Lee, plus Reed, Johnson and Hardy behind them.

We need blocking WAY more than we need receiving at the moment.

Nighthawk
04-16-2009, 12:16 PM

And that would not upgrade the position AT ALL! That would be a brutal pick.

jamze132
04-16-2009, 12:20 PM
Seriously, I hope this is just a pre-draft smoke screen, because I have a hard time believing that this FO could be that ****ing dumb.

Our OL is shaky and could get even more shaky if we trade Peters. We just added Owens and have one of the better starting WR duos in the league with TO and Lee, plus Reed, Johnson and Hardy behind them.

We need blocking WAY more than we need receiving at the moment.
Come on dude. This is the FO that has people like Trent Edwards, John McCargo, Dwayne Wright, Xavier Omon, and Tim ****ing Anderson graded as Day 1 picks and are shocked and happy those scrubs are still there in the later rounds and call it a steal.

The Spaz
04-16-2009, 12:24 PM
Come on dude. This is the FO that has people like Trent Edwards, John McCargo, Dwayne Wright, Xavier Omon, and Tim ****ing Anderson graded as Day 1 picks and are shocked and happy those scrubs are still there in the later rounds and call it a steal.

Listen the Bills front office has been pretty bad but lets not go overboard. I never heard anything about the Bills thinking Dwayne Wright, Xavier Omon as day 1 picks.

jamze132
04-16-2009, 01:31 PM
Listen the Bills front office has been pretty bad but lets not go overboard. I never heard anything about the Bills thinking Dwayne Wright, Xavier Omon as day 1 picks.
Don't take everything so literally. I think you know where I was going.

The bottom line is that it seems like the FO always thinks they have a stellar draft and they are always getting players WAY ahead of where they realistically could have. They hold a PC, tell us all how much hard work they put into drafting douchebags like Omon and Wright and tell us that we had them graded as an earlier pick but we were lucky to get them when we did.

Mitchell55
04-16-2009, 01:35 PM
I like Fine. Why get a TE in anywhere before the 4th is beyond me. You know how bad it is to get a TE in the 4th and another in the 4th the next year. It would be a waste.

Block "O"
04-16-2009, 02:14 PM
I want Travis Beckum if he falls to like the 4th.