• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • psubills62
    Legendary Zoner
    • Sep 2008

Bills work out another basketball player

"Former Arizona basketball player Fendi Onobun had recent tryouts with the Panthers, Bills, and Patriots.
    He's getting looked at as a tight end. Onobun reportedly ran a 4.50-flat forty, jumped 37.5" vertically, and posted a 10'7" broad jump at 6'6/250. While those numbers look terrific in paper, Onobun has never played football. Often times guys like this give up not long after taking their first hit."

That's from rotoworld.com
    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
    - Nicholas Cummings
  • DMBcrew36
    • Feb 2005

Re: Bills work out another basketball player

Great, another James Hardy who has no idea what he is doing out on the football field.
    Last edited by DMBcrew36; 04-16-2009, 08:41 AM.

Comment

• The Spaz
      • Mar 2003

Originally posted by DMBcrew36
      Great, another James Hardy who has no idea what he is doing.
      Without the College production.

Comment

• DMBcrew36
        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by The Spaz
        Without the College production.
        Yep - this organization is pathetic. Seriously. The team has so many holes and instead of doing anything to help this team this year, they just sit on their hands and think about how awesome they are for bringing in TO.
        Last edited by DMBcrew36; 04-16-2009, 08:46 AM.

Comment

• psubills62
          Legendary Zoner
          • Sep 2008

Come on guys, be real. Do you think the Panthers and Patriots are pathetic too? It was just a workout. Why not expand the database? He could simply be a body for training camp if they do sign him, and they could see how he does. It's not like they're planning on him being the starter.
          - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• The Spaz
            • Mar 2003

I like the athletic ability I was really stating I didn't like the comparison of this guy and Hardy. Hardy had very good collegiate production.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
              Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
              • May 2003

He might be Antonio Gates, and he might be Rusty Gates. What's the harm in taking a look?
              Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• The Spaz
                • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                He might be Antonio Gates, and he might be Rusty Gates. What's the harm in taking a look?
                Nothing.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                  Pinkerton's son
                  • Feb 2006

Yep - this organization is pathetic. Seriously. The team has so many holes and instead of doing anything to help this team this year, they just sit on their hands and think about how awesome they are for bringing in TO.
                  do you think that they have some plan to make this guy our starting TE or something??? get real dude. You talk about how they have so many holes (like TE), and here they are trying to think outside the box and try out some dude who may or may not help at the position one day, yet you criticize them? I know we havent done as much as I would like but this is NOTHING to get upset about.

Comment

• TigerJ
                    • Jul 2002

Of course, the chances of this kind of prospect becoming a productive NFL TE are very slim, but i have no problem with the Bills doing their due diligence. I'm assuming these guys initiate the contact with NFL teams. Otherwise, scouts would have no idea they even exist. Note that this guy also worked out for New England. Is New England also pathetic because they worked out an athlete who has aspirations of playing NFL ball?
                    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                      Zero for Zero!
                      • Mar 2003

What should they be doing right now?
                      Originally posted by mysticsoto
                      Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• ddaryl
                        Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                        • Jan 2005

nothing wrong with taking a look. Undrafted player who can spend a couple of years on the practice squad and may devlope is worth a look.

Comment

• psubills62
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Sep 2008

Besides, isn't this the opposite of "sitting on their hands?"
                          - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• TheBrownBear
                            • Dec 2004

I honestly can't see Onubun working out in any sport. I'm a UCLA alum living on the west coast and I've seen Onubun play (b-ball) in person 6 or 7 times and on television countless times. The guy was an absolute stiff who had no b-ball IQ whatsoever. He couldn't figure out the most basic things in basketball (boxing out, defensive rotations, etc.). I can't see him learning an entire new sport and mastering an NFL playbook. I'll be shocked if this guy ever ends up on the football field anywhere.

Remember, Gates was a very good baller in college - not some stiff like Onubun.

Comment

• Don't Panic
                              All-Pro Zoner
                              • Dec 2005

As a huge Arizona basketball fan, I know Fendi well. He passes the look test right away. He is built really well, and has a lot of athleticism, but it never translated on the basketball court. Not for a lack of opportunity, either... he has been through very turbulent years in which there were a lot of opportunities for playing time.

Each year I thought would be his year to show what he could do, but it never developed. What is interesting is that people have been pushing him to play football there for the last couple of years. He has that build, and I could definitely seeing him becoming a good football player. I don't know if he could do that at the pro level any time soon, but should he choose to play for a year at the college level it wouldn't surprise me to see him turn into a decent player. Bets case scenario would be practice squad for an NFL team for this year IMO.

Comment

Working...
                              X