PDA

View Full Version : Mayock changes thinking on Everette Brown

The Spaz
04-16-2009, 10:46 AM
In late January, NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock listed Florida State DE Everette Brown as his second best defensive end in the class, but also put OLB in parentheses after his name and indicated he thought he was an OLB candidate in a 3-4 defense. Appearing on a conference call Wednesday, Mayock’s opinion on where Brown fits in a defense has changed considerably.

“I actually don’t think he’s a linebacker in a 3-4,” said Mayock of Brown. “I don’t think he’s got the length. He’s 6′1 1/2″. To me he’s a base 4-3 defensive end. Some teams are still looking at him as a 3-4 linebacker.”

I don’t know this, but my guess is Mayock was basing his initial opinion more on what he was hearing from his NFL team contacts, and as he said teams are still looking at him as a 3-4 OLB. But now after doing all of his own film work on most of the top 350 prospects (the guy is a workaholic) he has formulated more of his own opinion and sees him as a 4-3 end.

I’ve been a fan of Brown from day one as a fit for the Bills 4-3 system as an end. I think he’s strong enough to hold up. Now he may not be as good against the run as Orakpo or Ayers, but I think he can handle the role.

Now Mayock doesn’t see him as a top half of the first round pick (top 16).

“There was a lot of heat when he first came out of being a top 10 or 15 pick,” said Mayock. “That’s cooled off a little bit. I see him closer to a late one.”

I still think Brown is good enough to be a top 15 pick, but obviously there is a difference of opinion out there. We’ll see where he goes.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2009/04/16/mayock-changes-thinking-on-everette-brown/

Night Train
04-16-2009, 11:01 AM
By draft day, we'll convince ourselves that NO ONE is good enough to be our first round pick. :rolleyes:

ParanoidAndroid
04-16-2009, 11:25 AM
Brown is a half inch shorter than Bart Scott. I guess that's just too short to play OLB in a 3-4.
Nonsense.
On average, DE's in a 4-3 are taller than OLB's in a 3-4.
What is he talking about?

THATHURMANATOR
04-16-2009, 11:36 AM
By draft day, we'll convince ourselves that NO ONE is good enough to be our first round pick. :rolleyes:
AMMMMMMMENN!

acehole
04-16-2009, 11:49 AM
All signs piont to a trade down this year.
I like ayres a lot but he isnt a must have type as any DE will ease into our line up and not "Replace" shobel this year. Same goes for brown. We need 3-4 starters in this draft. OLB,OG,TE and possible RT or LT. I think the gaurd can come from the 3,4th round the TE might need to come from the first or second and the same for OLB. So that leaves either TE Petigrew in the first or TE Cook in the 2nd we have some chioces in the 2nd for OLB in this cover 2 system but who is worthy od 11th at OLB? Nobody imho. So my bet would be to trade down and pick up an OLB later in the first or take Ayers if we trade peters and fall in the next area of need accordingly. Idea bieng we can take a DE now as we have more picks to fill in other areas. We could also offer some picks next year for either TE from Denver or the Guard from KC and take those out of the "Need to draft this year" catagory. It just seems there is no perfect fit for Buffalo at 11 this year.

In late January, NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock listed Florida State DE Everette Brown as his second best defensive end in the class, but also put OLB in parentheses after his name and indicated he thought he was an OLB candidate in a 3-4 defense. Appearing on a conference call Wednesday, Mayock’s opinion on where Brown fits in a defense has changed considerably.

“I actually don’t think he’s a linebacker in a 3-4,” said Mayock of Brown. “I don’t think he’s got the length. He’s 6′1 1/2″. To me he’s a base 4-3 defensive end. Some teams are still looking at him as a 3-4 linebacker.”

I don’t know this, but my guess is Mayock was basing his initial opinion more on what he was hearing from his NFL team contacts, and as he said teams are still looking at him as a 3-4 OLB. But now after doing all of his own film work on most of the top 350 prospects (the guy is a workaholic) he has formulated more of his own opinion and sees him as a 4-3 end.

I’ve been a fan of Brown from day one as a fit for the Bills 4-3 system as an end. I think he’s strong enough to hold up. Now he may not be as good against the run as Orakpo or Ayers, but I think he can handle the role.

Now Mayock doesn’t see him as a top half of the first round pick (top 16).

“There was a lot of heat when he first came out of being a top 10 or 15 pick,” said Mayock. “That’s cooled off a little bit. I see him closer to a late one.”

I still think Brown is good enough to be a top 15 pick, but obviously there is a difference of opinion out there. We’ll see where he goes.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2009/04/16/mayock-changes-thinking-on-everette-brown/

venis2k1
04-16-2009, 11:53 AM
I like ayres a lot but he isnt a must have type as any DE will ease into our line up and not "Replace" shobel this year.

Not trying to be a wise guy here, but what exactly is it about Ayers that people like???? I just dont get it.

acehole
04-16-2009, 12:02 PM
Not trying to be a wise guy here, but what exactly is it about Ayers that people like???? I just dont get it.

He has got a great burst to the qb...he is technically sound and is the right size for a 4-3 DE...with one year of NFL conditioning he could be a monster.....where as orakpo is a monster but lacks in technique. He can play spot duty for RDE and LDE this year while we pack him with Steroids and HGH...next year we can trade shobel to Wash for a 5th rounder and he can start next to stroud for the next 5-6 years and smash Bradys face in.

We need a pass rush as this poster indicated 2006.

This is the one guy fron the draft who can help us.

Mater of fact you use the 2nd rounder on the best Pass rushing OLB.

Let us get back to the biscut bruce days shall we?

Nighthawk
04-16-2009, 12:19 PM

Everybody has heard Mayock say he is good...there is your reason.

Nighthawk
04-16-2009, 12:31 PM
Brown should be the pick if he is on the board when they pick. He is the best pass rusher in the draft and I've been calling for this pick all along. The guy is a pass rushing DE (not an OLB, like I've said) and is exactly what this team needs. I would be very pissed if the Bills passed on him for Ayers, Maybin or Cushing...I'd lose my mind if they picked Jenkins or Pettigrew over him.

mayotm
04-16-2009, 12:59 PM
I like ayres a lot but he isnt a must have type as any DE will ease into our line up and not "Replace" shobel this year. Same goes for brown. We need 3-4 starters in this draft. OLB,OG,TE and possible RT or LT. I think the gaurd can come from the 3,4th round the TE might need to come from the first or second and the same for OLB. So that leaves either TE Petigrew in the first or TE Cook in the 2nd we have some chioces in the 2nd for OLB in this cover 2 system but who is worthy od 11th at OLB? Nobody imho. So my bet would be to trade down and pick up an OLB later in the first or take Ayers if we trade peters and fall in the next area of need accordingly. Idea bieng we can take a DE now as we have more picks to fill in other areas. We could also offer some picks next year for either TE from Denver or the Guard from KC and take those out of the "Need to draft this year" catagory. It just seems there is no perfect fit for Buffalo at 11 this year.Trading down would be great this year, however they need somebody to trade down with. I don't think it's as simple as some make it out to be. If the Bills keep their pick at 11, there will be a bunch of people bitiching about them not trading down. Especially if they take somebody the "experts" claim could have been gotten later in the round.

acehole
04-16-2009, 01:54 PM
I understand that but I still think things are pionting that way....With all of their extra needs and the talent level 5-10 spots later it is even more probable is all.

Trading down would be great this year, however they need somebody to trade down with. I don't think it's as simple as some make it out to be. If the Bills keep their pick at 11, there will be a bunch of people bitiching about them not trading down. Especially if they take somebody the "experts" claim could have been gotten later in the round.

Mike
04-16-2009, 02:07 PM
I do think that Brown is the best passrusher in this class. After the season he was projected as being the first DE taken, but now has dropped off with Orakpo taking the top spot following the combine. Before the combine, many of us were split on Orakpo who we thought we could get at 11. My first choice is Brown, hands down!

Block "O"
04-16-2009, 02:09 PM

What is it about any DE in this draft that people like? Everyone can fool themselves all they want but there is nothing even remotely close to a Mario Williams or Chris Long in this years draft.

Brown should be the pick if he is on the board when they pick. He is the best pass rusher in the draft and I've been calling for this pick all along. The guy is a pass rushing DE (not an OLB, like I've said) and is exactly what this team needs. I would be very pissed if the Bills passed on him for Ayers, Maybin or Cushing...I'd lose my mind if they picked Jenkins or Pettigrew over him.

He'll be gone by the 9th pick and all the experts (idiots) will say its a reach but when he's Antoine Winfield in 3 years they will not be held to account for their idiotic statements. Thats the luxury of sports journalism you can be wrong year after year after year without any repercussions.

mayotm
04-16-2009, 02:47 PM
I understand that but I still think things are pionting that way....With all of their extra needs and the talent level 5-10 spots later it is even more probable is all.That's the problem. If others feel the true value in this draft is 15 - 25, there isn't much of an incentive for those teams to trade up. Best case scenario would be somebody like Sanchez slipping. Then somebody like the Bucs may look to trade up.

acehole
04-16-2009, 02:54 PM
That's the problem. If others feel the true value in this draft is 15 - 25, there isn't much of an incentive for those teams to trade up. Best case scenario would be somebody like Sanchez slipping. Then somebody like the Bucs may look to trade up.

Bingo.

Sombody may fall and we shall see.
The conditions are there for us is all.

mayotm
04-16-2009, 03:00 PM
Bingo.

Sombody may fall and we shall see.
The conditions are there for us is all.Of course there's a chance and I would love for the Bills to be in a position to do it. Just don't be surprised when it doesn't happen. Also, don't be surprised seeing a meltdown around here when it doesn't happen. Despite the fact nobody will have any information on if the Bills attempted to trade down or not.

acehole
04-16-2009, 04:33 PM
Of course there's a chance and I would love for the Bills to be in a position to do it. Just don't be surprised when it doesn't happen. Also, don't be surprised seeing a meltdown around here when it doesn't happen. Despite the fact nobody will have any information on if the Bills attempted to trade down or not.

Ok whatever thanks...I will not be suprised eitherway,...that was not my piont but whatever.

Tatonka
04-16-2009, 06:27 PM
He has got a great burst to the qb...he is technically sound and is the right size for a 4-3 DE...
This is the one guy fron the draft who can help us.

Mater of fact you use the 2nd rounder on the best Pass rushing OLB.

Let us get back to the biscut bruce days shall we?

just curious.. but if he has such a great burst.. how did he only get 3.5 sacks against college level competition as a starter last year?

ghz in pittsburgh
04-17-2009, 08:35 AM
After listening to Modrak talk on Wednesday, I think Ayers and Brown are his guys. I'm leaning towards Ayers as he has played against and allgedly dominated Andre Smith in games. He will never be a Bruce Smith but he may be the best LDE in coming years. My money is on him.

The Juice Is Loose
04-17-2009, 08:49 AM

Its a scary situation. Imagine if you ran a Kinko's and some highly touted copy boy was coming in. You heard everything good about him but you had to guarantee him more than 75% of your staff. All of a sudden you'd be nit-picking.

The draft needs a payscale so bad its insane. Not only for the top heavy contracts in the 1st round, but for guys in the later rounds that end up doing well. They get stuck with terrible contracts for 4-5 years. It leads to a lot of contract squabbles.

I think the 1st guy in round 1 should be guaranteed $10 million and the last guy in round 7 should be guaranteed 4 million. And make it a gradient between there, and all rookie contracts should be 3 years long.