PDA

View Full Version : Colts Draft Review (By: Michael Johnson)

TypicalBill
05-15-2003, 05:56 AM
The Draft Giveth

Holy smokes was that a long weekend. After 262 picks, and a bunch of snack food, I will return from exile and examine what the Colts did with their picks.

First Round
This was really funny to me, because I had been looking forward to the Colts first pick more than anything else. They had so many options, corner, o-line, safety, linebacker. You name it, they could have gone there. Buffalo, picking right before the Colts, went out on the limb and grabbed Willis McGahee. The hoopla surrounding that pick was so grand and emotional, I actually missed the Colts selecting their first pick: Dallas Clark.

It wasn’t until the Giants took William Joseph that I realized the Ponies had pulled the Iowa tight end off the board, and I must say I was puzzled. I mean, Andre Woolfolk was still on the board. Boss Bailey, that speedy OLB who could fill a hole left by Mike Peterson was still available. But the Horseshoes took Dallas Clark.

This isn’t a bad pick, per se. Dallas is a huge kid (6’3”, 257 lbs.) who can catch balls and run. He will fit well with Peyton, who loves to use tight ends and missed Ken Dilger (who was busy winning a Super Bowl) terribly in 2002. The Colts will be able to effectively use the two tight end set with Clark and Pollard, forcing some mismatches with opposing LBs and Safeties. The more I think about it, the more the pick makes sense.

Second Round
This was a major coup in my opinion. I wouldn’t believe that hard-hitting Mike Doss would still be sitting around at pick 58, so it was good to see the Ponies take some much needed safety talent. He’s a little undersized, but he is a ball hawk and can definitely elevate his game. He tackles well, and should compete as a starter in his rookie campaign.

The Full Article (http://www.nfldraftblitz.com/Colts.htm)