Fred Jackson's agent: If character counts, where are the Bills?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dr. Lecter
    Zero for Zero!
    • Mar 2003

Fred Jackson's agent: If character counts, where are the Bills?

Fred Jackson and his agent think the Buffalo Bills should, in effect, put their money where their mouth is in regards to high-character players.

Jackson, the Bills' second-string running back, is without a signed contract and has been dissatisfied with the way negotiations on a long-term deal have gone this spring.

A day after Bills Chief Executive Officer Russ Brandon espoused the importance of strong character in the team's player evaluations, Jackson's agent, Jerry Douglas, released a statement.

"We find the organization's comments regarding the importance of character very interesting given their position on Fred Jackson," said Douglas, who is based in New Jersey. "I think it's a fair statement to say that during his three years with the Bills, Fred has demonstrated his high character and that he is second to none in that department, to say nothing of his on-the-field contributions. Yet the organization is not making a concerted effort to lock in Fred as part of the team's long-term future. Public statements are great as long as you mean what you say."
    Last edited by Dr. Lecter; 04-16-2009, 10:01 PM.
    Originally posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.
  • elltrain22
    • Sep 2003

Re: Fred Jackson's agent: If character counts, where are the Bills?

His agent is [B]exactly[B] right!! If I was an agent, and I was representing Jackson, I'd be saying the same thing.
    If you walk with Jesus today, you don't have anything to worry about tomorrow...

Comment

• billsfanone
      Majored in Home Economics
      • Sep 2008

Comment

• HHURRICANE
        • Mar 2005

our FO is a joke.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
          Zero for Zero!
          • Mar 2003

Fred Jackson is down the list. Sorry. Sign Peters first. Jackson has no leverage whatsoever. The Bills should not be breaking the bank for him.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
            Zero for Zero!
            • Mar 2003

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
            our FO is a joke.
            Why?

Because they are not caving into the demands of a back-up running back who has no leverage to talk to anybody else? I like Fred Jackson, but the Bills do not need to cave into him immediately.

Comment

• Nighthawk
              Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
              Fred Jackson is down the list. Sorry. Sign Peters first. Jackson has no leverage whatsoever. The Bills should not be breaking the bank for him.
              I couldn't agree more. You don't overpay for a 28 years old, backup RB. The guy has zero leverage. I'm sorry, he's being a baby.

Comment

• Bulldog
                Top Dog
                • Jan 2003

I'd be curious to see what Freddy's salary demands are. I wouldn't break the bank for him by any means, but I think Jackson is more vital to this offense than most realize, even with Lynch in the line-up.

Is it me, or does every negotiation that this front office handles turns into a long, drawn out headache? Thats the most frustrating part about it. Maybe it just seems this way because I follow the Bills so closely, but it doesn't seem like it's this difficult for most other teams.
                I only drink when I'm alone or with others.

Comment

• The Spaz
                  • Mar 2003

Give me a break. 1. Jackson is 28 and 2. he's a backup. 3. He's had 1 good year he shouldn't be demanding ****.

Comment

• psubills62
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Sep 2008

I guess I don't understand the part of the comment: "given their position on Fred Jackson."

Aren't they trying to re-sign him? Haven't they talked about giving him a raise? Why is that a bad position regarding Fred Jackson?
                    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                    - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• WeAreArthurMoates
                      • Feb 2009

I couldn't agree more. You don't overpay for a 28 years old, backup RB. The guy has zero leverage. I'm sorry, he's being a baby
                      I second that, I love Freddy but he's not the highest priority on the list right now. They have to figure out this Peters situation before hand and I think trading Roscoe factors into what they give Freddy. As a great back-up and punt returner Freddy could be worth the 3 mil a season he's looking for.

Comment

• SABURZFAN
                        short bus extraordinaire
                        • Jul 2002

he IS right but they've let players better than him get away.
                        Originally posted by yordad
                        Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• feldspar
                          • Mar 2007

Actually, what Jackson's agent said was highly inappropriate. It was counter-productive to any contract negotiations. It was stupid. Whether it's true or not is entirely beside the point. It was unprofessional.

Brandon said what he said because he was defending the integrity of the Bills organization, which was necessary due to the fact that two of our recent first-round draft picks were recently arrested. It had absolutely NOTHING to do with Jackson, and it was no way a reflection on him or how we feel about him. What Agent Jackson did was exploit the Bills current problems for the benefit of his client, but, like I said, it's counter-productive. Insinuating that the Bills are hypocrites or liars isn't going to help anyone...and insinuate that we are hypocrites or liars is exactly what he did. Again, this does not put you in good with the organization, so why do it? Are we going to give Jackson a trillion dollars just to prove his agent wrong?

Agent Jackson should know when to shut up. Maybe it's the same agent Freddie had coming out of Coe College. Maybe he needs to upgrade. I think that the Bills will treat Jackson fairly in the end, especially since he showed up for the voluntary workouts, not to mention the fact that we NEED a RB since Lynch is going to be suspended. But Agent Jackson's tactics are WAY off base. All saying what he said does is reflect poorly on himself and his client, and take down the character he was claiming to have down a notch. You don't call your boss an asswipe and then ask for a raise with the next breath.

TO was suspended for the rest of the season from the Eagles and eventually let go because he questioned the integrity of his team publicly. You just don't do it. One thing any team doesn't like is to lose face, especially on a deliberate act of one of it's own players...and it doesn't matter if what that player said was true or not.
                          Last edited by feldspar; 04-16-2009, 10:17 PM.

Comment

• BILLSROCK1212
                            !?!?!?!?!?
                            • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                            Why?

Because they are not caving into the demands of a back-up running back who has no leverage to talk to anybody else? I like Fred Jackson, but the Bills do not need to cave into him immediately.
                            show Peters what happens when you have a good character and show up to involuntary workouts which Jackson has done

Comment

• feldspar
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by BILLSROCK1212
                              show Peters what happens when you have a good character and show up to involuntary workouts which Jackson has done
                              I don't think Peters will be watching.

He'll be too busy watching cartoons.

Comment

Working...
                              X