PDA

View Full Version : Rookie Pay Scale

The Juice Is Loose
04-17-2009, 08:56 AM
There has been a lot of talk of a rookie pay scale. And I for one feel it is completely necessary. This year, whoever is the 1st pick is probably looking at being guaranteed $35 million bucks. That's more than James Harrison got guaranteed, I believe. Its total insanity.

Not only that, but the guys at the bottom of the draft are guaranteed to not make anything. They could come out and tear up the league for a couple years and still only be making $200 K as opposed to a first round bust that's still raking in multi-millions.

What do you guys think would be a good solution as far as pay scale goes? I still believe guys who do what they have to do to be selected 1st should be rewarded, but where is the line?

Why not mandate that all rookie contracts have a similar format? Why not have all rookies get 3 year contracts, and make a scale all the way from pick 1 to the last pick of round 7?

How much should they vary? And what's the most that #1 should be guaranteed?

I say, pick 1 gets guaranteed $12 million. That is 1/3 of what they are getting now, and that is still a pretty handsome guarantee for someone who's never played in the league.

I feel it should be at even incriments, and the last person drafted should be guaranteed something like $2 million.

This way, I think you enhance the draft because more teams will be willing to make bold moves like trade up. It makes for fan excitement.

I think it would increase the importance of the draft because teams won't be petrified to pick a player too high, because the consiquence won't be so bad.

Also, its better for players picked later, who over achieve. This way they make a decent amount of money, and can become a free agent in 3 years.

All rookie contracts should be 3 years, with performance bonus's. Teams and players should gain the ability to extend after year 2, and at that point players earn what they get.

So this way, if the Lions draft Stafford and he's awesome...in 2 years they can guarantee him franchise QB money. And if he stinks, the team loses about $4 mil per year over his 3 years, and then they can move on.

What do you guys think?

kelly2reed4six
04-17-2009, 09:01 AM
I like it.....Rookie contracts are out of control, and are probably going to be one of the large contributors to a potential lock out in 2011. I don't know if that's something the players association would need approve, but if so I don't think that would be an issue. I'm sure these vets are sick of seeing unproven rookies come in and get paid more than them.....(ex. peters, gross to long)

OpIv37
04-17-2009, 09:02 AM
At the very least, there should be a rookie salary cap- something to keep owners from having to shell out $30 million for a guy who's never played a down in the NFL>

And to be perfectly honest, I don't know why the player's union doesn't support this. It would mean more money available under the regular cap for the existing players.

psubills62
04-17-2009, 10:09 AM
I completely agree about rookie pay scales, or a cap. There needs to be some control over this, and I'm sure the veterans are as mad about it as the fans are.

I think that there should be some sort of bonus for a rookie who makes the Pro Bowl, no matter what round he was drafted in. So maybe have a minimum for a rookie Pro Bowler. That way, if a WR is drafted in the 6th round, but makes the Pro Bowl (or maybe if he has top ten stats receiving), then he gets a minimum of 1.5 million per year. If he was already making more than that, then his pay doesn't change.

There should be ways to reward guys for doing well under a rookie contract, if there is a pay scale put in place. But overall, they really need to be brought under control. At the very least, just reduce the amount the top ten are getting. Consider the HUGE disparity between the pay the 1st pick is getting and the amount per year that the 10th and 20th picks are getting. It's WAY too disproportionate.

Cntrygal
04-17-2009, 10:56 AM
There should be a cap. I don't really care how great they were in college - all that is, is NFL POTENTIAL. And as Bills fans, we've seen where "potential" gets us. Let the ROOKIES prove something before they get the huge payday (remember minimum pay is still more than most of us would make!).

yordad
04-17-2009, 10:58 AM
Yes. I rookie cap would make the #1 overall pick a sought after pick again. Right now it is more of a burden then a bonus. Unacceptable.

Throne Logic
04-17-2009, 11:04 AM
I've been advocating this for years for all of the reasons you pointed out and a few more.

I would, however, start the scale much, much lower than you did. No rookie, I don't care who they are are what they've done in college should be payed more than the veteran minimum for their base salary. I realize this is a huge change and probably can't happen, but this is how it should be.

To offset that huge cut off the top, I would include an immense amount of incentives that could add up to the multi-millions these guys are already getting for doing nothing. If you contribute the first year for x amount of games, you get more. If you start, you get x amount more per game started. If you make the rookie of the year / probowl, you get even more. Through in a couple of stat related bonuses, too (I really hate paying by stats, but I also understand that it's quantifiable). So, a rookie drafted top 10 would have to actually play up to his potential to make that 35 Million. Another added bonus to this system: a rookie drafted round 6, but ends up starting and making a huge impact can make the money more in line with his actual play in the NFL ranks.