PDA

View Full Version : Peters traded to Philly

Ickybaluky
04-17-2009, 12:17 PM
On ESPN.

EDIT - Should say "about to be traded to Philly"

Here is the link:

LINK (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0-7-82/Peters-to-be-traded-to-Eagles.html)

No word on compensation yet.

Ickybaluky
04-17-2009, 12:19 PM
Here is a longer article on ESPN:

LINK (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4077093)

The Philadelphia Eagles are close to working out a trade with the Buffalo Bills to acquire left tackle Jason Peters, multiple sources said Friday.

Terms of the Eagles' proposal are not known, but Peters was asked to fly to Philadelphia today to meet with team officials. The Eagles have 12 picks, including two first-round selections, in next weekend's NFL draft; it is believed they might have to give up a first-round pick -- and more -- to acquire him.

M
Do you know for what? Picks, players .... ???

EricStratton
Unless both number 1's come back this stinks.

circlethewagons
04-17-2009, 12:20 PM
My biggest fear is that we settled for less just to trade him

hydro
04-17-2009, 12:21 PM
Do you know for what? Picks, players .... ???

;)

TacklingDummy
04-17-2009, 12:21 PM
On ESPN.

Here is the link:

LINK (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0-7-82/Peters-to-be-traded-to-Eagles.html)

1 down, 1 to go.

Let's hope whoever they draft turns out to be a stud instead of a bust.

Ickybaluky
04-17-2009, 12:22 PM
Peters is reportedly visiting Philly, and they still have to work out a contract. If he is there, they have agreed on trade compensation.

The thing that could still throw a stick in this is if they can't work out a new contract with him. I imagine that is a contingency of the trade.

circlethewagons
04-17-2009, 12:24 PM
Peters is reportedly visiting Philly, and they still have to work out a contract. If he is there, they have agreed on trade compensation.

The thing that could still throw a stick in this is if they can't work out a new contract with him. I imagine that is a contingency of the trade.

I'm very curious to find out what other NFL teams think about his contract demands

ddaryl
04-17-2009, 12:25 PM
Unless both number 1's come back this stinks.

not true

how about a 1st 2nd and a 3rd... that would work

plundar
04-17-2009, 12:26 PM
Typical, the Bills develop a player and get rid of him. The guy wants too much money but he is a great LT. We better get a lot in return...

Ickybaluky
04-17-2009, 12:27 PM
I think the Bills just reached the fish or cut bait point with the guy. They tried to sign him, and now they just want to move on.

It is possible there is future conditional compensation involved as well.

THATHURMANATOR
04-17-2009, 12:28 PM
Not happy with this AT ALL.

Now we have to waste our 11th overall on a tackle that could easily be a bust......

:puke:

THATHURMANATOR
04-17-2009, 12:28 PM
not true

how about a 1st 2nd and a 3rd... that would work
I would much rather have both 1sts....

DrGraves
04-17-2009, 12:31 PM
Brian Westbrook and all their picks.

ddaryl
04-17-2009, 12:33 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9466866/Sources:-Eagles-trade-for-Bills-Pro-Bowl-LT-Peters

The Eagles have acquired Pro Bowl left tackle Jason Peters from the Bills for the 28th overall pick in next week's draft, FOXSports.com has learned.

Buffalo will also receive a second-day pick in this year's draft, as well as a late-round pick in the 2010 draft.
MORE TO COME

if this is true then we just got hosed majorily

what a joke

OpIv37
04-17-2009, 12:33 PM
I think the Bills just reached the fish or cut bait point with the guy. They tried to sign him, and now they just want to move on.

It is possible there is future conditional compensation involved as well.

I prefer the expression "**** or get off the pot." It doesn't have that folksy, life-experience wisdom angle to it, but it's something today's kids can relate to.

On a related note, RIP Buffalo Bills 2009 season.

TigerJ
04-17-2009, 12:35 PM
I'm not thrilled, but I think the Bills do need to move on. I'd love to get Philly's two first round picks, but I don't see it happening. I think Buffalo probably gets a first and a third, maybe a first and a second.

OpIv37
04-17-2009, 12:35 PM

Now we have to waste our 11th overall on a tackle that could easily be a bust......

Correction: WILL be a bust, solely based on the fact that this FO will pick the wrong guy.

And btw, there goes any chance we had at getting an impact DE or LB.

Coach Sal
04-17-2009, 12:36 PM
I've heard a 1st and 4th.

bigbub2352
Trade him and build thru the draft

A rookie wont give up 11.5 sacks this yr

i luv this hope we get a 1st and 3rd

Dr. Lecter
I am nearly done.

I can't take this anymore.

The King
I just put on Sirius. Ill let you know if I hear anything

OpIv37
04-17-2009, 12:38 PM

we'll be building through the draft next year too when we have a top 5 overall pick.

EDS
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9466866/Sources:-Eagles-trade-for-Bills-Pro-Bowl-LT-Peters

what a joke

I had hoped for more. Bummer.

ddaryl

its a 1st #28 and a 4th rd pick this year, and then a day 2 pick next year from what I am hearing

Dr. Lecter
04-17-2009, 12:39 PM
1 down, 1 to go.

Let's hope whoever they draft turns out to be a stud instead of a bust.

We could have kept our stud instead.

Now they have a gaping hole on the left side of the line at tackle and guard.

I am sick of this team. This is nearly the last straw.

madness
04-17-2009, 12:39 PM

No we don't and whoever we pick to replace him could easily play better than Peters did last season.

Dr. Lecter
04-17-2009, 12:40 PM

The number of 11.5.

Where did it come from? It is not an official stat.I am sick of seeing that number like it is gospel.

madness
We could have kept our stud instead.

Now they have a gaping hole on the left side of the line at tackle and guard.

I am sick of this team. This is nearly the last straw.

The gaping hole was there last year. It was called Peters and Dockery.

Mr. Pink
Even if it's only a 1st and 4th it's a good deal for a guy who's a constant offseason distraction now, played at a level somewhere last year resembling subpar.

A rookie could come in and not give up as many sacks as Peters last year at half the money. Hell move Langston over there and plug someone in at RT.

Moving him before the draft is the best way to go, especially if he won't play ball with the offers the franchise has made to him.

It's good to see the organization being proactive on something for a chance instead of just sitting on their hands hoping for the best.

ddaryl
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0-7-83/Source--Bills-receive-three-draft-picks-for-Peters.html

Source: Bills receive three draft picks for Peters (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0-7-83/Source--Bills-receive-three-draft-picks-for-Peters.html) http://assets.espn.go.com/profile/i/trans/icon_report_hi.gif (http://myespn.go.com/profile/violation?ou=afceastadmin&at=7&vid=1239989844369)
April 17, 2009 1:37 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Graham The Buffalo Bills didn't want to part with Pro Bowl left tackle Jason Peters, but they became convinced over the past 48 hours they couldn't make him happy and decided to send him to the Philadelphia Eagles.
An NFL source informs me the Bills have agreed to accept the Eagles' second first-round draft pick, 28th overall, and a fourth-round pick in this year's draft and a conditional pick in next year's draft in exchange for Peters.
The trade was agreed upon late Thursday night. It's not expected to be officially announced Friday. The Eagles have asked Peters to come to Philadelphia to talk about a new contract.
Parameters for the conditional choice aren't yet known and still could be getting hammered out.
The Bills were forced to deal Peters because they were certain Peters would stage another lengthy holdout. After he boycotted all offseason and preseason workouts last year, there was a legitimate fear he would sit out until Week 10 and then report so as to miss an accrued NFL season of experience.
The Bills and Peters' agent, Eugene Parker, exchanged multiple contract proposals since the end of last season but haven't been on the same page.
Peters has two more years left on a contract he signed in 2006. He would have been paid an average of about $4 million, well below market value for an elite left tackle. The Miami Dolphins signed last year's No. 1 draft choice, Jake Long, to a five-year deal worth $57.5 million and $30 million in guarantees. The Carolina Panthers in February kept All-Pro tackle Jordan Gross from hitting the open market with a six-year contract worth nearly $60 million.
The NFL source said he expected the Eagles to give Peters a contract that will make the undrafted Arkansas tight end quite happy.

Kenny
04-17-2009, 12:41 PM

what a joke

Lets hope Michael Johnson is still there at the end of round1.

bigbub2352
04-17-2009, 12:42 PM
we'll be building through the draft next year too when we have a top 5 overall pick.

hey if u think about it if RW was a real owner we should be rebuilding this yr with a whole new staff and front office, we really are just delaying the inevitable

The King
04-17-2009, 12:43 PM
No word on Sirius yet

ddaryl
04-17-2009, 12:43 PM
I just hope that 2010 conditional can become a day 1 pick.. Then It's a decent deal, but if the best we get in 2010 is a 2nd day pick then I'm dissapointed...

psubills62
04-17-2009, 12:44 PM
Well if Fox Sports is right (Glazer usually is, it seems), then we sort of got a raw deal, depending on what the conditional pick is. And what will the conditional pick be based on? How many games he plays/starts, maybe?

Although picking late in the first should get very good value for whoever it is.

The King
04-17-2009, 12:46 PM
Here we go....

OpIv37
04-17-2009, 12:46 PM
hey if u think about it if RW was a real owner we should be rebuilding this yr with a whole new staff and front office, we really are just delaying the inevitable

very true.

The King
04-17-2009, 12:47 PM
Philly gave up the 28th pick and a second day pick and a late pick in 2010.

Sirius says its a steal.

OpIv37
04-17-2009, 12:47 PM
No we don't and whoever we pick to replace him could easily play better than Peters did last season.

the delusions around here never cease to amaze me.

The King
04-17-2009, 12:48 PM
Sirius is calling him the best LT in the NFL saying Philly just robbed us.

"A sad day for the Bills, I didnt think this day would come, the gap was too wide"

Ginger Vitis
04-17-2009, 12:48 PM
Philly gave up the 28th pick and a second day pick and a late pick in 2010.

Sirius says its a steal.

Yep.. If nothing else the bills should have gotten the 21st pick and a 3rd rounder... What a crappy trade

Dr. Lecter
04-17-2009, 12:49 PM

He is not the best LT in football (Joe Thomas for one is better)

But the Bills got anally raped.

psubills62
04-17-2009, 12:50 PM

Let's see what kind of contract Philly has to give him, first.

The only problem is if he is willing to accept less from Philly than he demanded from Buffalo. If indeed Buffalo offered him close to 10 million per season and he turned it down, but he's willing to take 9 million per from the Eagles, then everyone's going to think we were robbed.

I have a feeling we'll never know the whole story.

clumping platelets
Jake Long is better than Peters

The King
I feel sick.

TigerJ

what a joke

The day two pick could be a third rounder, but I'm not too confident right now. You could be right about being hosed.

berndog5
WOW a first rounder for a tackle who gave up the most sacks in the NFL last year. I will take it! He has had 1 strong season that is it. No need to overpay for poor numbers.

kernowboy
04-17-2009, 12:51 PM
There is no need for us to use the No11 pick on a LT.

In fact we don't even need to consider it this year when we recall how Walker played last year. We could easily start Walker at LT and draft someone like Bulaga, Biron or Okung in 2010.

However at No28, there is a chance to pick up:

William Beatty, Connecticut
Eben Britton, Arizona

or even Andre Smith, Alabama. And the R4 pick might allow us to move up even if these guys do not slide as far.

Even if we use neither of our R1 picks on a LT, with our No42 pick we can consider

Jamon Meredith, South Carolina
Gerald Cadogan, Penn State

All are regarded as potential starters from Day1

The positive is we get rid of the Peters headache, we can expect his replacement to be hungry to make an impact, and it is possible he won't allow as many sacks as Peters did last year.

Fans assume that a big contract would light a fire under Peters? He could still turn up lazy and disinterested.

Personally I would love a draft of

R1(11) Everette Brown RE
R1(28) William Beatty LT (moving up if necessary)
R2(42) Jarron Gilbert LE/DT
R3 Marcus Freeman OLB
R4 Karl Urbik RG

We can replace the failed Denney/Kelsay experiment, get a replacement for Schobel and also put together a decent OL, even if Beatty initially starts at LG.

A line of Walker-Beatty-Hangartner-Urbik-Butler looks big and athletic to me.

Mr. Pink
What is worse, taking the best offer you get for a guy that still can get you a good player OR keeping a guy who's an offseason distraction and played well under his ability level last year?

That's what you should ask yourself when you think of the trade.

It's a good move for the Bills when you factor everything in.

zone

Only time will tell, depends on what that pick is used for.

The Spaz
04-17-2009, 12:52 PM
The guy doesn't want to be in Buffalo period. I don't think it's about the money he just doesn't want to be here period. **** him it's time to move on.

Dr. Pepper
04-17-2009, 12:52 PM
at least it's over. i had a bad feeling this would drag into training camp again...

Ickybaluky
04-17-2009, 12:53 PM
Philly only has 1 4th rounder, the #121 overall.

psubills62
04-17-2009, 12:54 PM
There is no need for us to use the No11 pick on a LT.

In fact we don't even need to consider it this year when we recall how Walker played last year. We could easily start Walker at LT and draft someone like Bulaga, Biron or Okung in 2010.

However at No28, there is a chance to pick up:

William Beatty, Connecticut
Eben Britton, Arizona

or even Andre Smith, Alabama. And the R4 pick might allow us to move up even if these guys do not slide as far.

Even if we use neither of our R1 picks on a LT, with our No42 pick we can consider

Jamon Meredith, South Carolina
Gerald Cadogan, Penn State

All are regarded as potential starters from Day1

The positive is we get rid of the Peters headache, we can expect his replacement to be hungry to make an impact, and it is possible he won't allow as many sacks as Peters did last year.

Fans assume that a big contract would light a fire under Peters? He could still turn up lazy and disinterested.

Personally I would love a draft of

R1(11) Everette Brown RE
R1(28) William Beatty LT (moving up if necessary)
R2(42) Jarron Gilbert LE/DT
R3 Marcus Freeman OLB
R4 Karl Urbik RG

We can replace the failed Denney/Kelsay experiment, get a replacement for Schobel and also put together a decent OL, even if Beatty initially starts at LG.

A line of Walker-Beatty-Hangartner-Urbik-Butler looks big and athletic to me.

I agree with your general sentiments, but there's a few things in here I disagree with. I doubt Andre Smith makes it out of the top 16 picks...the media blows things out of proportion and it sounds like teams wouldn't mind gambling on his talent.

Problem is, there's a lot of teams needing an OT between 11 and 28. If we had the 21st pick, that would have been a lot better.

Meredith and/or Cadogan should definitely be there in the third. Gilbert probably won't be there at 42.

Also, why move Butler outside? I'd rather have this line: Beatty-Urbik-Hangartner-Butler-Walker.

berndog5
04-17-2009, 12:55 PM
Here are sacks given up by LT last year. Note how many games Peters played.

1. Ryan Clady, Denver, 0.5 sack
2. Michael Roos, Tennessee, 1 sack PRO BOWLER
3-T. Tony Ugoh, Indianapolis, 2 sacks* (Started 11)
3-T. Tra Thomas, Philadelphia, 2 sacks
3-T. Jared Gaither, Baltimore, 2 sacks* (He missed first quarter of Philadelphia game because of a shoulder injury)
7. Jake Long, Miami, 2.5 sacks
8-T. Marcus McNeill, San Diego, 3 sacks* (13 games)
8-T. Chris Samuels, Washington, 3 sacks* (Only appeared in 12 games)
8-T. Jordan Gross, Carolina, 3 sacks* (Missed 1 game) PRO BOWLER
8-T. Jammal Brown, New Orleans, 3 sacks* (Missed 1 game)
8-T. Todd Weiner, Atlanta, 3 sacks* (Started 10 games and appeared in 15)
13-T. Joe Thomas, Cleveland, 3.5 sacks PRO BOWLER
13-T. Walter Jones, Seattle, 3.5 sacks* (12 games) PRO BOWLER
15-T. D'Brickashaw Ferguson, NY Jets, 4 sacks
15-T. Bryant McKinnie, Minnesota, 4 sacks* (11 games)
15-T. Max Starks, Pittsburgh, 4 sacks* (10 starts)
18. Brandon Albert, Kansas City, 4.5 sacks* (Missed 1 game)
19. Levi Jones, Cincinnati, 5.5 sacks* (10 games)
20. Mike Gandy, Arizona, 6.25 sacks
21-T. Chad Clifton, Green Bay, 6.5 sacks* (missed 1 game)
21-T. David Diehl, NY Giants, 6.5 sacks
23. Flozell Adams, Dallas, 7.25 PRO BOWLER
24-T. Khalif Barnes, Jacksonville, 7.5 sacks
24-T. Matt Light, New England, 7.5 sacks
24-T. Kwame Harris, 7.5 sacks* (Started 11, appeared in 13)
27. Donald Penn, Tampa Bay, 8 sacks
28. Joe Staley, San Francisco, 8.5 sacks
29. Jeff Backus, Detroit, 9.25 sacks
30. John St. Clair, Chicago, 9.75 sacks
T-31. Duane Brown, Houston, 11.5 sacks
T-31. Jason Peters, Buffalo, 11.5 sacks* PRO BOWLER (13 games)

ChristopherWalken
04-17-2009, 12:55 PM
This team continues to make holes rather than fill them. You can't win a championship that way.

Might as well draft another QB as well, becasue Trent Edwards will be on IR by week 4.

It takes years to develop a young OL. The Bills never finished developing the last one. :down:

Dr. Lecter
04-17-2009, 12:56 PM
How does one calculate the sacks given up? It is not an official stat for a reason.

BILLSROCK1212
04-17-2009, 12:57 PM
I like the trade....we got a 1st rounder, a 4th rounder and potentially another mid round selection for a man who didn't want to play for us and gave up the most sacks at his position last year

djjimkelly
04-17-2009, 01:01 PM
this once again is more proof that this team is more interested in being an also ran then trying to become a legit contender.

to me know the end result of this is simple.

new LT LG new C basically a new line.

this will result in shotty line play.

a new built in excuse for poor qb play in the end.

ultimately slowing down the legit progress of this organization.

we have basically locked ourselves into drafting a LT in the 1st round.

i was already skeptical on how exactly edwards would be able to use evans and owens this season.

now i know the owens signing is pointless.

i already knew we would be in need of a qb soon. any real chance legit growth of this offense to me is over.

another sad day in the world of the buffalo bills. however arent we all getting used to this?

justasportsfan
04-17-2009, 01:02 PM
Imagine that. If they reach an agreement, the eagles which have been playoffs contenders through the years are willing to pay an LT 11.5 million while a LOSER franchise thinks it's too much. No wonder why this organization sucks.

An those that think that it was a good move puts too much faith in the decision makers of an organization that has sucked this entire decade.

Dr. Pepper
we needed to trade his greedy ass regardless, seeing how he obviously didnt want to play for us. hes no better than willis, i bet he trashes the city once he gets to philty.

zone
The Bills never finished developing the last one. :down:

Really, because what I saw was them develop a un-drafted TE/DE into a All-Pro LT in 2 years.

That is about as finished as you get.

Mahdi
04-17-2009, 01:03 PM
On ESPN.

Here is the link:

Dont know how to feel about this right now... kinda annoyed... If we dont get Andre Smith at 11 I'll be pi55ed.

baalworship
04-17-2009, 01:04 PM
I am really, really pissed. This is one of the dumbest moves in Bills history.

Instead of being excited about the draft we have to watch as our inept front office reaches for a player to fill another hole they created.

psubills62
Imagine that. If they reach an agreement, the eagles which have been playoffs contenders through the years are willing to pay an LT 11.5 million while a LOSER franchise thinks it's too much. No wonder why this organization sucks.

An those that think that it was a good move puts too much faith in the decision makers of an organization that has sucked this entire decade.

They were a playoff franchise before Peters. Why don't we see how they do if Peters handicaps their spending ability.

M
OK, I guess I'm being naive. We weren't that good with Peters in at LT. He didn't want to be here, maybe he would have held out again. How was the FO supposed to take that chance? They offered him someting like $9 million + and he turned it down. I'm just glad this fiasco is over.

justasportsfan
04-17-2009, 01:05 PM
we needed to trade his greedy ass regardless, seeing how he obviously didnt want to play for us. hes no better than willis, i bet he trashes the city once he gets to philty.

Why are the eagles organization willing to trade for a greedy ass ? I think their organization has proven they know more than our FO does.

ChristopherWalken
Really, because what I saw was them develop a un-drafted TE/DE into a All-Pro LT in 2 years.

That is about as finished as you get.

Yet I was refering to the OL and not Peters.

And if your really want to get into specifics it was McNally (no longer with the Bills) that had more to do with the initial development of Peters.

kernowboy
I agree with your general sentiments, but there's a few things in here I disagree with. I doubt Andre Smith makes it out of the top 16 picks...the media blows things out of proportion and it sounds like teams wouldn't mind gambling on his talent.

Problem is, there's a lot of teams needing an OT between 11 and 28. If we had the 21st pick, that would have been a lot better.

Meredith and/or Cadogan should definitely be there in the third. Gilbert probably won't be there at 42.

Also, why move Butler outside? I'd rather have this line: Beatty-Urbik-Hangartner-Butler-Walker.

I would be very concerned about starting a completely rookie leftside. We have signed McKinney and he might be able to hold down the LG position for a season or two.

Bill Cody
04-17-2009, 01:07 PM

You guys make me laugh. If you have a car you have to sell and you think it's worth 10k and you run ads and the best offer you get is 6, you didn't get raped you found out your car wasn't worth 10! Peters value is less than you think because of his salary demands. This isn't that complicated. We did the best we could end of story.

ChristopherWalken
04-17-2009, 01:08 PM
I would be very concerned about starting a completely rookie leftside. We have signed McKinney and he might be able to hold down the LG position for a season or two.

I'm nearly certain Walker will shift to LT. They'll develop the next rookie at the right side and inject him to the left when they see fit.

OpIv37
Dont know how to feel about this right now... kinda annoyed... If we dont get Andre Smith at 11 I'll be pi55ed.

if we do get Andre Smith or any other OT I'll still be pissed- that was our slot to get an impact OLB or DE.

justasportsfan
What is worse, taking the best offer you get for a guy that still can get you a good player OR keeping a guy who's an offseason distraction and played well under his ability level last year?

That's what you should ask yourself when you think of the trade.

It's a good move for the Bills when you factor everything in.
yeah, I'm sure the eagles think he'll be a distraction which is why they traded for him. We will never know if his replacement will ever become a probowl lt but I'm almost almost sure Peters can get back to his 07 form if you made him happy.

Mahdi
04-17-2009, 01:09 PM
I've heard a 1st and 4th.
K this is horrible...

Not only did we agree on the 28th pick but also agreeing on a 4th instead of a 3rd. We got robbed.

psubills62

It might be a concern, but it's not like we're going to the Super Bowl. I'd rather keep McKinney as depth and if the rookies are not doing well, then maybe he could become the start. Or rotate them in and out.

THATHURMANATOR
I am DISGUSTED by this move.

djjimkelly
the only positive i can draw from this is that this organization has taken a URFA and netted a 1st a mid and a late round pick.

to that i commend the bills.

however all great football minds say one thing makes an nfl team.

LT DE and QB

now we have none of those on this roster.

THATHURMANATOR
04-17-2009, 01:10 PM
Our O line is going to BLLLOW. WTF....

djjimkelly
as a side note another donahoe player sent packing by the bills.

psubills62
the only positive i can draw from this is that this organization has taken a URFA and netted a 1st a mid and a late round pick.

to that i commend the bills.

however all great football minds say one thing makes an nfl team.

LT DE and QB

now we have none of those on this roster.

We don't have a QB?

THATHURMANATOR
We don't even get their higher first rounder.... :puke:

Dr. Pepper
04-17-2009, 01:11 PM
Why are the eagles organization willing to trade for a greedy ass ? I think their organization has proven they know more than our FO does.

why were we willing to pick up TO? why did the cowboys sign pacman jones last year? teams inherit problems ALL THE TIME, maybe because they think theyll change with a fresh start, maybe theyre just naive, who knows? even if he ends up not being greedy and signs for less, the point is irrelevant because it will be obvious that he didnt want to be here. we arent going to win games with players who dont want to play for us. this city and team deserve better than players like jason peters. i know i spend my $ to watch players who fight for Buffalo, not fight to leave.

kid mickey
Looks like Andre Smith or Michael Oher are now the on top of the Buffalo Bills to draft list. Totally rebuilt offensive line. Looks like the Bills are building in the trenches. I would expect Michael Oher than with 28 Alex Mack. Langstons days are numbered. Bell is gonna come in for him real soon. Second round selection could be TE. I bet the defensive side of the ball isn't addressed until round 3. Funny how things can change with one guy out the door.

justasportsfan
You guys make me laugh. If you have a car you have to sell and you think it's worth 10k and you run ads and the best offer you get is 6, you didn't get raped you found out your car wasn't worth 10! Peters value is less than you think because of his salary demands. This isn't that complicated. We did the best we could end of story.

the car may not be worth 10 but you are in a desperate situation to go somehwere it may very well be worth it.

Mahdi
if we do get Andre Smith or any other OT I'll still be pissed- that was our slot to get an impact OLB or DE.
Looking at it from a neutral perspective....

Andre Smith at 11, Ayers or Lawrence Sidbury at 28 and Nelson at 42 would be pretty good for Buffalo.

From a fan viewpoint losing a player that was groomed here and became top 5 sucks.

Typ0
I think this is great news. You watch JP negotatiate a contract now that he will NEVER live up to. This is good news actually. I just hope we can fill that hole with a decent player and we will net a couple draft picks out of moving this distraction down the road.

THATHURMANATOR
04-17-2009, 01:13 PM
We don't have a QB?
Well do we? Edwards hasn't impressed me all that much. He could be ok but I am not yet sold.

justasportsfan
04-17-2009, 01:13 PM
why were we willing to pick up TO? why did the cowboys sign pacman jones last year? teams inherit problems ALL THE TIME, maybe because they think theyll change with a fresh start, maybe theyre just naive, who knows? even if he ends up not being greedy and signs for less, the point is irrelevant because it will be obvious that he didnt want to be here. we arent going to win games with players who dont want to play for us. this city and team deserve better than players like jason peters. i know i spend my $ to watch players who fight for Buffalo, not fight to leave.

we picked up TO because we were desperate.WE got desperate to begin with because of the decisions made by this very FO that decided to get rid of one of the best LT's in the league.

The teams you mentioned have made bad moves but they've been more successful than this crappy FO. WE've made one bad move after another and we are now the ***** of the AFCE once again because of their stupid decisions.

Mr. Pink
04-17-2009, 01:14 PM
yeah, I'm sure the eagles think he'll be a distraction which is why they traded for him. We will never now if his replacement will ever become a probowl lt but I'm almost willing to bet Peters can get back to his 07 form.

We don't know what his true form is...that's also part of the point.

Is the 2007 Jason Peters the norm or the anomaly? Or is the 2008 Jason Peters the norm or the anomaly?

How much are you willing to spend to find that out?

If we see the 2008 Peters, getting paid around 11 mill per, people around here would be livid.

Meanwhile, if we land a stud with the 28th pick and/or Peters plays to the same level he did here last year...come next offseason everyone will laud the move.

djjimkelly
04-17-2009, 01:15 PM
We don't have a QB?

when he wins more then he loses for a season pipe up that we have one till then sorry we dont have a qb.

today is not a day to talk qb honestly nor is any day this season because we are locked into trent for 2009.

THATHURMANATOR
04-17-2009, 01:15 PM
Looks like Andre Smith or Michael Oher are now the on top of the Buffalo Bills to draft list. Totally rebuilt offensive line. Looks like the Bills are building in the trenches. I would expect Michael Oher than with 28 Alex Mack. Langstons days are numbered. Bell is gonna come in for him real soon. Second round selection could be TE. I bet the defensive side of the ball isn't addressed until round 3. Funny how things can change with one guy out the door.
This is an odd post.

What has Bell done that you are so high on? If anything Walker was our only solid lineman last season. Have you ever even seen Bell play?

Dr. Pepper
04-17-2009, 01:17 PM
we picked up TO because we were desperate. The teams you mentioned have made bad moves but they've been more successful than this crappy FO. WE've made one bad move after another and we are now the ***** of the AFCE once again because of their stupid decisions.

So if you were the gm of the Bills you would've signed Peters to a contract making him the highest paid LT in the league? And do you think he would be worth that $ and live up to the contract? Maybe I don't know/understand the game as well as you, I don't think I would've done that though.

OpIv37
I think this is great news. You watch JP negotatiate a contract now that he will NEVER live up to. This is good news actually. I just hope we can fill that hole with a decent player and we will net a couple draft picks out of moving this distraction down the road.

so avoiding distractions is more important than winning? Because we just sacrificed winning, at least for this season.

psubills62
Well do we? Edwards hasn't impressed me all that much. He could be ok but I am not yet sold.

I'm not entirely sold, but I thought he's had times when he's played quite well. He's still young and it's not like they're going to change the starting QB for at least another year.

Very different situation than LT and DE...they'll be looking for both of those in the draft. I almost guarantee they won't be grabbing a QB in the draft unless someone fell really, really, far.

kernowboy
04-17-2009, 01:18 PM
If we consider this as a potential draft

R1: Everette Brown
R1: William Beatty (move up with our No121 from the Eagles)
R2: Jarron Gilbert
R3: Marcus Freeman
R4: Karl Urbik
R5: Dan Gronkowski

What have we achieved?

1. Drafted two linemen who combined for a total of 22 sacks when our biggest problem was getting to the QB last year. Including a LE who can move inside on passing downs. How much trouble would an OL line face opposite Brown-Gilbert-Stroud-Schobel on a 3 and 6?

2. We get one of the most athletic LT's in the draft plus a roadgrader inside to replace a combined $11.5m combo who were a turnstyle.

3. A LB and a TE who actually bothered to turn up to the combine, a LB who can play in all 3 positions allowing the D to get the most out of Posluzny and Mitchell as well as a TE who grew up in Buffalo and who did more for himself post-season as anyone, and who also knows that part of his requirement is to block.

Personally I think it was a great move by the Bills.

THATHURMANATOR
04-17-2009, 01:18 PM

Is the 2007 Jason Peters the norm or the anomaly? Or is the 2008 Jason Peters the norm or the anomaly?

If we see the 2008 Peters, getting paid around 11 mill per, people around here would be livid.

Meanwhile, if we land a stud with the 28th pick and/or Peters plays to the same level he did here last year...come next offseason everyone will laud the move.
I can see where you are going Thomas but we at least know for sure Peters can be a dominate Tackle. Any LT we pick in the draft is a complete toss up, and most likely can't be counted on to be a dominate starter in his first season. Best case is we get a solid player that is pro bowl calibur in 2 or 3 years from now. It also kills our hope to upgrade at DE and LB which was the teams real need going into the draft. We just made another HUGE need that didn't have to be made.

Mr. Pink
04-17-2009, 01:19 PM
so avoiding distractions is more important than winning? Because we just sacrificed winning, at least for this season.

How did we sacrifice winning?

We went 7-9 with probowl form JP and then 7-9 with worst LT in the league form JP.

Where's the difference?

What does Peters really add?

THATHURMANATOR
If we consider this as a potential draft

R1: Everette Brown
R1: William Beatty (move up with our No121 from the Eagles)
R2: Jarron Gilbert
R3: Marcus Freeman
R4: Karl Urbik
R5: Dan Gronkowski

What have we achieved?

1. Drafted two linemen who combined for a total of 22 sacks when our biggest problem was getting to the QB last year. Including a LE who can move inside on passing downs. How much trouble would an OL line face opposite Brown-Gilbert-Stroud-Schobel on a 3 and 6?

2. We get one of the most athletic LT's in the draft plus a roadgrader inside to replace a combined $11.5m combo who were a turnstyle.

3. A LB and a TE who actually bothered to turn up to the combine, a LB who can play in all 3 positions allowing the D to get the most out of Posluzny and Mitchell as well as a TE who grew up in Buffalo and who did more for himself post-season as anyone, and who also knows that part of his requirement is to block.

Personally I think it was a great move by the Bills.
I would hate this.

Brown can move inside? The dude is Tiny.

justasportsfan

I would rather take a chance with Peters going back to form than this staff grooming anyone into a top player at ANY position? Who has this staff groomed since they've been here? NO ONE.

They even grabbed a solid Dockery from the Redskins and turned him into crap.

ChristopherWalken
So if you were the gm of the Bills you would've signed Peters to a contract making him the highest paid LT in the league? And do you think he would be worth that $ and live up to the contract? Maybe I don't know/understand the game as well as you, I don't think I would've done that though.

No, but he's contracted and strapped for cash. Leave the 9+ Mill a year on the table, let him play his childish off season games, and watch him as he comes crawling back a week before regular season just like last year...pen in hand.

psubills62
04-17-2009, 01:20 PM
when he wins more then he loses for a season pipe up that we have one till then sorry we dont have a qb.

today is not a day to talk qb honestly nor is any day this season because we are locked into trent for 2009.

Well he did win more than he lost for games he started and completed. I know there's no guarantee that he'll stay healthy for the whole season, but he's still young.

Whether you like it or not, we've got a QB. He might not be a Pro-Bowler, and he might not be the QB of the future, but for now we've got a QB.

Very different situation from LT and DE.

THATHURMANATOR
04-17-2009, 01:21 PM
I'm not entirely sold, but I thought he's had times when he's played quite well. He's still young and it's not like they're going to change the starting QB for at least another year.

Very different situation than LT and DE...they'll be looking for both of those in the draft. I almost guarantee they won't be grabbing a QB in the draft unless someone fell really, really, far.
Sure I am with you here. I am fine with Trent but he needs to really step up.

psubills62
04-17-2009, 01:21 PM
I would rather take a chance with Peters going back to form than this staff grooming anyone into a top player at ANY position? Who has this staff groomed since they've been here? NO ONE.

They even grabbed a solid Dockery from the Redskins and turned him into crap.

Do the names Greer and Fred Jackson ring a bell?

Ickybaluky
04-17-2009, 01:22 PM
Here is Tim Graham's update:

LINK (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0-7-84/Peters-likes-what-he-s-hearing-from-Eagles.html)

Two new things I'm hearing about the Jason Peters trade, which is being finalized as I type this:

Peters is meeting with the Philadelphia Eagles sans agent Eugene Parker, and talks are going extremely well. So well, in fact, that the deal could be announced Friday. The initial expectation was it could take until Sunday.

The conditional pick for 2010 might be only a sixth-rounder. Probably not what Buffalo Bills fans wanted to hear, but the club's intention was to get first- and third-round picks for Peters.

The Bills received a first, a fourth and next year's pick for an undrafted player they didn't invest much in besides time and money.

Typ0

and saying that is based on what? The way JP helped us win last year? Nice try.

Bill Cody
Think of it another way. This was a prety good pickup by Tom Donahoe. We signed Peters off the street and moved him a few years later for a 1st round pick plus.

kernowboy
04-17-2009, 01:23 PM
Why is there an assumption that paying Peters $$$$ would have made him brilliant and given the Bills a winning team?

He could easily have eaten his way through that and given up 13 sacks in 2009, putting Edwards on IR and leaving the Bills with a massive contract/cap hit.

Mr. Pink
04-17-2009, 01:24 PM
I can see where you are going Thomas but we at least know for sure Peters can be a dominate Tackle. Any LT we pick in the draft is a complete toss up, and most likely can't be counted on to be a dominate starter in his first season. Best case is we get a solid player that is pro bowl calibur in 2 or 3 years from now. It also kills our hope to upgrade at DE and LB which was the teams real need going into the draft. We just made another HUGE need that didn't have to be made.

I do agree we added another need that has to be filled, no doubt.

We obviously will move Langston to LT and then have to find someone to file in at RT. Chambers played decent there last year, but he's not a solution. So yes, we need to file that need now.

However, if we saw the 2008 version of Peters in 2009 then in 2010 we'd still have a need to fill. Peters performance in 2009 was outright disgusting.

kernowboy
04-17-2009, 01:25 PM
I would hate this.

Brown can move inside? The dude is Tiny. (quote)

Gilbert to move inside !!!!

Like Tuck does with the Giants.

Gilbert is 6ft6, 288lbs and has a 40time of 4.87

Not exactly tiny

psubills62
04-17-2009, 01:25 PM

LINK (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0-7-84/Peters-likes-what-he-s-hearing-from-Eagles.html)

Gee, look how great contract negotiations can go SANS Eugene Parker. If the situation last year was SANS Eugene Parker, things would have gone a lot better for them too.

justasportsfan
04-17-2009, 01:26 PM
Do the names Greer and Fred Jackson ring a bell?

are they top players in their respective positions? No. Solid , maybe but top? Not even close.

How ironic if Greer was any good the bills didn't sign him and Jackson is pissed about his contract too.

Barb
Looking at it from a neutral perspective....

Andre Smith at 11, Ayers or Lawrence Sidbury at 28 and Nelson at 42 would be pretty good for Buffalo.

From a fan viewpoint losing a player that was groomed here and became top 5 sucks.

what a reach sidbury at #28 would be

Dr. Pepper
No, but he's contracted and strapped for cash. Leave the 9+ Mill a year on the table, let him play his childish off season games, and watch him as he comes crawling back a week before regular season just like last year...pen in hand.

yeah but that doesnt help our team does it? we're left with an out of shape LT who is unfamiliar with the new playbook and unhappy with his team and contract.

THATHURMANATOR
I do agree we added another need that has to be filled, no doubt.

We obviously will move Langston to LT and then have to find someone to file in at RT. Chambers played decent there last year, but he's not a solution. So yes, we need to file that need now.

However, if we saw the 2008 version of Peters in 2009 then in 2010 we'd still have a need to fill. Peters performance in 2009 was outright disgusting.
I think we just differ on the fact that I think with a full training camp Peters will be back to 07 form no problem. You think he may not.

Dr. Lecter

He is meeting with them without Parker??? WTF????

THATHURMANATOR
04-17-2009, 01:27 PM
I would hate this.

Brown can move inside? The dude is Tiny. (quote)

Gilbert to move inside !!!!

Like Tuck does with the Giants.

Gilbert is 6ft6, 288lbs and has a 40time of 4.87

Not exactly tiny
Sorry thought you meant Brown.

THATHURMANATOR
04-17-2009, 01:28 PM
Why is there an assumption that paying Peters $$$$ would have made him brilliant and given the Bills a winning team?

He could easily have eaten his way through that and given up 13 sacks in 2009, putting Edwards on IR and leaving the Bills with a massive contract/cap hit.
So can the unproven tackle we draft this year instead of the DE we really needed.

psubills62
04-17-2009, 01:28 PM
are they top players in their respective positions? No. Solid , maybe top not even close.

How ironic if Greer was any good the bills didn't sign him and Jackson is pissed about his contract too.

You asked who they've groomed. How many teams groom late-rounders or UDFA's into top at their position? I'd say the Bills are lucky to have done it once.

djjimkelly
04-17-2009, 01:29 PM
and saying that is based on what? The way JP helped us win last year? Nice try.

what exactly does JP have anything to do with anything the bills have done this offseason or are going to do from this point on.

Dr. Lecter
You asked who they've groomed. How many teams groom late-rounders or UDFA's into top at their position? I'd say the Bills are lucky to have done it once.

It does no good to groom a guy and trade him when he is about to hit the peak of his career.

Dr. Lecter
what exactly does JP have anything to do with anything the bills have done this offseason or are going to do from this point on.

JP = Jason Peters

Ickybaluky
04-17-2009, 01:30 PM

Here has a separate update HERE (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0-7-83/Source--Bills-receive-three-draft-picks-for-Peters.html)

The NFL source said he expected the Eagles to give Peters a contract that will make the undrafted Arkansas tight end quite happy.

I imagine Parker has been talking to them about a new deal.

One interesting note from the link, the Giants were also in the bidding for Peters.

psubills62

Makes you wonder how negotiations would have gone for the Bills if Parker wasn't there. I'm assuming that Vincent Taylor or someone is there to represent Parker.

Man, if Peters signs for 8-9 million per year with Philly, I'm going to be pissed. At that point, it will be obvious that he just didn't want to be in Buffalo anymore.

clumping platelets
But you do not pay $11-12 million/yr to a player worth only $8-9 million

djjimkelly
04-17-2009, 01:31 PM
Think of it another way. This was a prety good pickup by Tom Donahoe. We signed Peters off the street and moved him a few years later for a 1st round pick plus.

sadly i think dumbahoe era will be viewed in a greater light then this regimes era.

justasportsfan
To all of you who think that rookies will fill the holes. Whats our depth look like?

justasportsfan
But you do not pay $11-12 million/yr to a player worth only $8-9 million
tell that to the eagles. An organization that makes us ook like a college team in terms of success this decade.

psubills62
It does no good to groom a guy and trade him when he is about to hit the peak of his career.

Maybe not, but if he's more of a problem for you to keep, there's no harm in getting something for him.

djjimkelly
04-17-2009, 01:32 PM
JP = Jason Peters

sorry my apologies to typo :) :couch:

psubills62
04-17-2009, 01:33 PM
To all of you who think that rookies will fill the holes. Whats our depth look like?

Same as it did last year...Bell, Chambers.

zone
04-17-2009, 01:33 PM
Yea, out of shape and lazy.

Dr. Lecter
04-17-2009, 01:34 PM

Chambers is starting at left freakin' guard.

guy
04-17-2009, 01:38 PM
you dont know that much about the team then. if you people would just stop listening to the media about how good this idot is and start watching him play you would realize that this a great deal for buffalo. pro bowler, you're kidding right?

justasportsfan
04-17-2009, 01:39 PM

they must really blow if they get easily replaced bya bunch of rookies who btw, aren't gonna know what to do when the 3-4 D's in our division show them D looks they've never seen before because our staff has never seen those looks either and had the rookies practicing the wrong things that week.

Mahdi
04-17-2009, 01:40 PM
what a reach sidbury at #28 would be
Wouldn't be a reach at all actually. Sidbury is a late first early second round prospect.

Oldbillsfan
04-17-2009, 01:41 PM
Worst trade ever, the rest of the league is laughing....Again...

psubills62
04-17-2009, 01:41 PM
Chambers is starting at left freakin' guard.

Nothing's been decided...they've only said that he'll compete there. We've got McKinney at LG for now, and they could sign a rookie for depth.

People may not like the idea, but we're going to have rookies on our O-line. Maybe it's me, but I thought it was good to build your O-line through the draft. We're obviously not going to the Super Bowl this year, so it's a good thing for the future.

Besides, having rookies doesn't automatically mean you're going to suck. Atlanta had a rookie QB and LT last year, they did OK. I'd be much more concerned about having a rookie QB than a rookie LG.

Oldbillsfan
04-17-2009, 01:42 PM
Makes you wonder how negotiations would have gone for the Bills if Parker wasn't there. I'm assuming that Vincent Taylor or someone is there to represent Parker.

Man, if Peters signs for 8-9 million per year with Philly, I'm going to be pissed. At that point, it will be obvious that he just didn't want to be in Buffalo anymore.

He will, no way they pay 10 M

ParanoidAndroid
04-17-2009, 01:43 PM
How does one calculate the sacks given up? It is not an official stat for a reason.

A lineman is credited with a sack allowed when he gets beat when blocking one-on-one. I'm sure there is a margin of error, but I doubt that list is a conspiracy against Jason Peters.

justasportsfan
04-17-2009, 01:44 PM
Maybe it's me, but I thought it was good to build your O-line through the draft. .
we've been trying to rebuild this team through the draft and now we're the AFCE's ***** after 3 years of rebuilding.

psubills62
04-17-2009, 01:44 PM
they must really blow if they get easily replaced bya bunch of rookies who btw, aren't gonna know what to do when the 3-4 D's in our division show them D looks they've never seen before because our staff has never seen those looks either and had the rookies practicing the wrong things that week.

:doh: I'm glad you've sunk to insulting the intelligence of rookies and exaggerating like this. Yeah...I'm sure the rookies won't bother looking at tape, or thinking about the 3-4 defense AT ALL.

If you want to insult the coaches, that's fine. But come on....this post is ridiculous.

Mahdi
04-17-2009, 01:45 PM
The good news is that the Falcons made the playoffs last year with a rookie LT and QB. Baker wasn't even considered one of the top notch LTs coming out and still did enough to allow Ryan to become rookie of the year.

ELAYAS
04-17-2009, 01:46 PM
CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

psubills62
04-17-2009, 01:49 PM
we've been trying to rebuild this team through the draft and now we're the AFCE's ***** after 3 years of rebuilding.

There's a small difference between building the lines through the draft and building a team. Look at New England - where did they get most of their DL-men? First or second round. Where did they get most of their OL-men? First through third rounds, with a few late.

We tried signing two guys in FA...one worked out, the other didn't. We got our C from FA...Fowler didn't work out. Preston didn't work out. Peters was a UDFA that happened to work out. Butler was a 5th rounder.

And the times that the Bills have tried to build the lines early, they've had misses (Kelsay, Denney, McCargo).

So the best way to draft now is to rebuild the lines through the draft. Unless you'd rather they sign the leftovers in FA and draft more skill positions?

raphael120
04-17-2009, 01:54 PM
I'm going to trampoline into a fast moving ceiling fan if we draft an LT or a TE at #12

ParanoidAndroid
04-17-2009, 01:59 PM
I hope they go o-line with 2 of their 3 first day picks.

1a. LT - Oher?
1b. DE - Ayers?
2. OG - Robinson?

I would rejoice at this.

ParanoidAndroid
04-17-2009, 01:59 PM
I'm going to trampoline into a fast moving ceiling fan if we draft an LT or a TE at #12
I guess you're safe.....we're not drafting anything at #12.

Hamilton Billsfan
04-17-2009, 02:03 PM
I firmly believe the Bills got totally RIPPED OFF! A very late first round pick and 2 crappy second day picks for a YOUNG PRO BOWL LT. I'm thoroughly disgusted with the way the Bills have been run.:krusty:

I'm 48 and I don't believe I will ever see another Pro Bowl LT in a Bills uniform in my lifetime! :fury: :fury: :fury:

Mahdi
04-17-2009, 02:07 PM
Why? Andre Smith would be amazing at 11. As much as I like Peters I think there was always going to be a lack of understanding of the nuances of playing LT for him. A guy like Andre Smith has been doing it since he was 15. Plus he is a monster run blocker and that is more important in Buffalo than a pass protector. Look at Pittsburgh, Marvel Smith and Max Starx are horrible pass pro OTs but since Pitt is a run first team it doesn't matter. We need to establish a scary ground game that will open up the pass game and I think A.Smith could end up having a bigger impact on our offense than Peters did.

Vanilla Thunder
04-17-2009, 02:11 PM
lol this reminds of how we got ripped off on the macgahee trade. ahnd when we lost jennings, ruben brown, and nate clements. they sure have lit the world on fire after we got raped through the free agency losses.

tampabay25690
04-17-2009, 02:15 PM
It had to be done...He did not want to be in Buffalo anymore.
I know that for a fact..

justasportsfan
04-17-2009, 02:16 PM
It had to be done...He did not want to be in Buffalo anymore.
I know that for a fact..
Kelsay loves to be here in buffalo.

EDS
04-17-2009, 02:28 PM

The only reason the Bills signed TO was to sell his jersey. Purely a financial decision. It has nothing to do with on the field performance.

Ickybaluky
04-17-2009, 02:40 PM
Pro Football Weekly on the trade:

LINK (http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/AFC/AFC+East/Buffalo/Spins/2009/spin041709.htm)

This is far from a decision the club is excited about. As far back as last season, when Peters first sequestered himself in search of a new deal, trading the young Pro Bowler was a push-come-to-shove scenario. The Bills wanted him to remain in Buffalo for a long time, to protect the blind side of Trent Edwards, to plow the lanes for Marshawn Lynch. But the type of money Peters was asking for, money that would make him among the highest-paid offensive linemen in the league, was more than the frugal team felt comfortable dispensing.

With the draft just over a week away and negotiations grinding to a halt, push finally came to shove.

When Peters returned to the field in 2008 following his holdout that persisted throughout training camp, he wasn’t the dominant force he was in 2007. To keep an unhappy player on the roster, Buffalo wouldn’t accept mediocrity, and Peters’ track record suggested that less-than-outstanding results were in the cards.

What makes this trade easier for Buffalo to stomach is their decent depth at the offensive tackle. Langston Walker — a high-priced veteran in his own right — is likely to shift from the right side to the left side, which he manned capably in preseason action a season ago. Kirk Chambers, a smart and savvy technician, likely takes up residence at right tackle.

Armed with extra picks, most importantly an extra first-rounder in 2009, Buffalo’s added ammunition gives them greater flexibility to draft the best player available rather than going strictly for need. Without offensive tackle being a necessity to address, they can feel comfortable going with an offensive lineman, tight end, defensive end, outside linebacker or safety with their top picks, knowing that whatever position they don’t address early on can be shored up later.

Simply put, the Bills made the best of a lousy predicament.

psubills62
04-17-2009, 02:44 PM
Pro Football Weekly on the trade:

LINK (http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/AFC/AFC+East/Buffalo/Spins/2009/spin041709.htm)

It's an interesting take, but even before the trade they had to go with some sort of need at 11, and still do. They don't necessarily have to go with an OT, but they do need someone to make a difference at a weak position.

It's strange that, while being a Patriots fan, you seem to be doing extra work to make us feel better about this trade haha. Thanks.

Ed
04-17-2009, 03:12 PM
I'm dissapointed that we didn't get more for Peters. I would have expected at least the higher first rounder. I'm also dissapointed that it had to come to this since Peters became a favorite of mine back in 2007 and I've now grown to despise him. I'm glad it's over though finally and we can just move on. At least the draft will be more exciting next week. And to be honest, it doesn't feel like we're losing that much considering Peters play last season. It was bad.

Plus, when was the last time Jason Peters started and finished a season for us at LT?...Never.

Michael82
04-17-2009, 03:22 PM
That proves what many of us have said all along...Peters did NOT want to be here. :ill:

Ed
04-17-2009, 03:24 PM
That proves what many of us have said all along...Peters did NOT want to be here. :ill:
Peters is in Philly for a physical. He's not going there to negotiate a new deal without his agent.

madness
04-17-2009, 03:26 PM
Peters is in Philly for a physical. He's not going there to negotiate a new deal without his agent.

Peters likes what he's hearing from Eagles
April 17, 2009 2:16 PM
Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Graham

Two new things I'm hearing about the Jason Peters trade, which is being finalized as I type this:

Peters is meeting with the Philadelphia Eagles sans agent Eugene Parker, and talks are going extremely well. So well, in fact, that the deal could be announced Friday. The initial expectation was it could take until Sunday.

The conditional pick for 2010 might be only a sixth-rounder. Probably not what Buffalo Bills fans wanted to hear, but the club's intention was to get first- and third-round picks for Peters. The Bills received a first, a fourth and next year's pick for an undrafted player they didn't invest much in besides time and money.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast

Ed
04-17-2009, 03:42 PM
Peters likes what he's hearing from Eagles
April 17, 2009 2:16 PM
Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Graham

The conditional pick for 2010 might be only a sixth-rounder. Probably not what Buffalo Bills fans wanted to hear, but the club's intention was to get first- and third-round picks for Peters. The Bills received a first, a fourth and next year's pick for an undrafted player they didn't invest much in besides time and money.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast
That doesn't mean his agent isn't involved in the negotiations.

Devin
04-17-2009, 04:04 PM
Jesus we couldnt evn manage to squeeze out the first of Phillys two first rounders?

Look I dont mind losing Peters THAT much but damn man a 1st and a 4th for a franchise calibur young LT??

Sometimes I truly hate this team.

chernobylwraiths
04-17-2009, 04:06 PM
Jesus we couldnt evn manage to squeeze out the first of Phillys two first rounders?

Look I dont mind losing Peters THAT much but damn man a 1st and a 4th for a franchise calibur young LT??

Sometimes I truly hate this team.

Sounds a bit like Brandon blinked.

Devin
04-17-2009, 04:10 PM
Sounds a bit like Brandon blinked.

Sadly I think you are correct. He is outmatched as far as this whole "GM Thing" goes.

AndreReed83
04-17-2009, 04:17 PM
I hate this trade, it makes me sick.

With that said, I wish nothing but bad things on Jason Peters. I hope you sign your Madden-esque contract and then go Jonas Jennings on the Eagles.

im8th2buffalo
04-17-2009, 04:35 PM
I'm nearly certain Walker will shift to LT. They'll develop the next rookie at the right side and inject him to the left when they see fit.

Now they need to re-work Walker's deal if they do that. Last year when he filled in for Peters, there was already talk of him wanting more $ if he plays LT.

I hope it all works out. It didn't seem like Peters wanted to be with the Bills anymore. Part of me is just glad that he is gone, but part of me is really worried about the hole it leaves behind. I was hoping for a return of the 2007 Peters.

A good deal is when both teams benefit. Only time will tell for both sides. The Bills have a chance for a good player in the draft at #28. (I thought they would at least get the 21st or 28th and a 3rd rounder.) This trade could be another BUST for the Bills like drafting Mike Williams. It could also work out.
The trade could be great for the Eagles, or the 2008 Peters could show up to play. If that is the case, then they got shafted.
I just hope that the Bills FO gets the draft right. It is sad that we so badly need immediate impact players/starters in multiple positions almost every year lately.

:skooby:

T-Long
04-17-2009, 05:09 PM
Peters was just going to pull another stunt and give the team even more of a headache then he did last year. I'm glad that bumb is gone. When Walker was in there, he definitely held his own. I honestly feel comfortable going into the season with Walker as our LT. We can land the best center in the draft (whether it be Mack or Unger or Wood) with that #28 pick. Hangartner can move to LG. Walker Hangartner draft pick Butler Bell/Chambers. Obviously we would like more talent there, but I would be ok with that. I think we will draft more OL depth as well, and who knows, one of those guys could beat out someone and start as well.

I'm really excited to have 2 first rounders. I am disappointed we didn't get #21. I think we would have grabbed Pettigrew before Atlanta could get him. There is no way he drops to #28 now. There is just so many possibilities for the 1st round...I don't know what's going to happen

JD
04-17-2009, 06:45 PM
After seeing how many sacks came from the left side, I'm glad to see him go. Wish we received at least a 1st and 2nd for this years draft but the conditional makes me a bit more comfortable. The guy was a joke last year and only made the pro bowl because of his popularity on the field. Besides, he would have just held out again this summer and hurt the team. Just my opinion.

don137
04-17-2009, 06:58 PM
I'm really excited to have 2 first rounders. I am disappointed we didn't get #21. I think we would have grabbed Pettigrew before Atlanta could get him. There is no way he drops to #28 now. There is just so many possibilities for the 1st round...I don't know what's going to happen

I think/hope the Bills braintrust have the players/positions they want to address in the two first round picks. I do not think Pettigrew is in their plans. If they wanted Pettigrew they wouldn't of settled for the #28 pick. I think they will address the TE in he 2nd or 3rd round.

baalworship
04-17-2009, 07:36 PM
Peters was just going to pull another stunt and give the team even more of a headache then he did last year. I'm glad that bumb is gone. When Walker was in there, he definitely held his own. I honestly feel comfortable going into the season with Walker as our LT. We can land the best center in the draft (whether it be Mack or Unger or Wood) with that #28 pick. Hangartner can move to LG. Walker Hangartner draft pick Butler Bell/Chambers. Obviously we would like more talent there, but I would be ok with that. I think we will draft more OL depth as well, and who knows, one of those guys could beat out someone and start as well.

Using the late 1st on a guard or center makes the most sense from a value standpoint.

Romes
04-17-2009, 09:44 PM
Its official. Trade is up on the Eagles website.

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=17670