PDA

View Full Version : The Sky HASN'T fallen in

kernowboy
04-17-2009, 02:29 PM
Ok, we've traded Peters.

A young Pro-Bowl LT who sat out all of last pre-season and the start of the season and gave up 11.5sacks when he came back as well as the disappointing Dockery and the Fowler/Preston combination who everyone I think hated.

We have however gotten Terrell Owens who whilst a risk, may prevent Evans fighting through double and triple teams each week.

And we have signed both Gregg Hartgartner and Seth McKinney for the center position who can both be expected to upgrade here.

And lets not forget we got something back for Peters who could have chosen to sit out until the 10th game of the season with all the contractual obligations. A big front loaded contract was no guarantee he'd return to his 2007 form and he might easy have become lazy.

With the draft coming up, I see no need to change our approach.

We still need players on the DL. We were appalling at getting to the QB last year and that is why I still favour a DE at No11. Defences win Championships and even if Schobel returns, we need someone opposite him to threaten the opposition QB. Like Everette Brown who can come in on passing downs and replace Schobel in 2-3 seasons.

At No28, the top four LT will be gone. However Jason Smith (Baylor) and Eugene Monroe (Virginia) will be gone in the Top6. Oher has been good but there are concerns about his pass protection, and Andre Smith looks like a potential nightmare, running from the combine, blowing his Pro-Day etc. However the Philly 4th rounder (No121) could come in use here. Both William Beatty and Eben Britton should both be around in the 20s and we could nab one, giving us a starter from Day1. Beatty may almost be as athletic as Peters.

Into R2, and I still remember the way the Giants got at the Pats. By drafting Jarron Gilbert (6ft6, 288lbs, 4.87) we have a LE who can move inside. The Giants did it with Coffield/Robins and Tuck, so Williams/Stroud and Gilbert could be just as effective. Paul Kruger could be another option.

But Ellison still needs to go so a LB in R3 might be of use and a G in R4 could help as well.

With a potentially inexperiened OL but with a better WR corps, a TE who can block would be useful so we look towards Shawn Nelson or Dan Gronkowski, a Buffalo bred boy who did himself plenty of favours at the combine.

Most importantly we cannot go into the season again with a team who came up with 24 sacks (?)

My draft:

R1 (11) Everette Brown RE
R1 (20 - trade with Lions) William Beatty LT
R2 (42) Jarron Gilbert LE
R3 (75) Marcus Freeman OLB
R4 (110) Karl Urbik OG
R4 (121) to the Lions
R5 (147) Dan Gronkowski TE

two picks on each side of the trench, a replacement for Ellison and an underated TE who can become our Kevin Boss

The Spaz
04-17-2009, 02:36 PM
Dude we pick 11.

justasportsfan
04-17-2009, 02:56 PM
the pats uprgraded, the fins will upgrade and Rex Ryan may make the jets D better. I say the sky is falling.

OpIv37
04-17-2009, 02:58 PM
the pats uprgraded, the fins will upgrade and Rex Ryan may make the jets D better. I say the sky is falling.

the sky was starting to fall before the Peters trade. Now, it's coming crashing down.

psubills62
04-17-2009, 02:58 PM
Gotta say, I would love that draft if it happened. Not so sure Gilbert will be there at 42, though.

justasportsfan
04-17-2009, 03:06 PM
the sky was starting to fall before the Peters trade. Now, it's coming crashing down.

some fans are just more patient than we are in winning a sb. I wouldn't be surprised if the bills end up moving to toronto . Maybe they'll have a better shot at winning a sb there.