PDA

View Full Version : One thing that I finally realized.....

Michael82
04-17-2009, 04:56 PM
If there was one thing that this trade has made me realize, it's that the Buffalo Bills are back in rebuilding mode again. Face it! Sure we signed Terrell Owens in the offseason...but we all know that was to sell tickets and attract sponsors. Then we cut our starting LG without replacing him, plus our starting TE without replacing him. Granted both of them are players that sucked last year. Now we just traded our starting LT. It looks more and more like the team is admitting that we are rebuilding again. Russ Brandon is getting rid of almost all of the players who were brought here during the Tom Donahoe regime.

The Bills will go to the draft to fill the holes, but they need more draft picks to do that. I still think that we will trade down, so we can get even more picks. Now....if everything works out and we finish the draft off, we will probably have a new OT, OG, TE, LB, and DE. These players will be raw and will need some time to develop. So we will develop them this season and then next year will be playoffs or bust. But we all know that Dick won't be the one leading the team in 2010. That will most likely be someone who is already on the team, so they wouldn't have to change the systems....Bobby April. What do you guys think? :feedback:

SABURZFAN
04-17-2009, 05:01 PM
SUPER BOWL OR BUST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kernowboy
04-17-2009, 05:02 PM
I wouldn't call it rebuilding - every team looks to upgrade at positions of weakness even after they've won the SuperBowl - the Steelers are looking to upgrade at both centre and right tackle on their OL, and they've just won the entire show.

At center, we've been calling for Fowler and Preston to be replaced and by all accounts, Hangartner is a decent young player ready to step up to a starting gig.

Royal was consistently dissed, and there are several rookies who would be an upgrade, plus the team could be up on Derek Fine.

Crowell was a big injury risk and again a rookie could do just as well.

And there is no necessary guarantee we'd go DE though Schobel is getting on in years.

Dockery was mediocre as a LG so only the loss of Peters can be considered a genuine subtraction for the team but only if it was the Peters of 2006/07, not the Peters of last season

GoonBoss
04-17-2009, 05:06 PM
As a Dolphins fan, I must say at the board I mod at, most of us are pretty much scratching our heads at the personnel moves by you guys this off season. I'm not here to talk trash or to get into any flame wars.....That's just the truth from our perspective.

The TO move was met by a mixed response..Some of us were overjoyed and, some of us got lumps in our throats, but, the consensus was..."Watch for the Bills to make a couple more big additions! They are going for it!"

The Peters trade has sort of thrown us for a loop. I'd have to agree with you regarding the rebuilding, but, I see any moves this year in the draft to probably pay off not this year, but 2010.

Owens probably has at least two years left in the tank, and, if he and Evans don't implode, they can be very effective. If Edwards can regain form along with wise drafting with these aquired picks to shore up the O and D lines, the Bills can reasonably expect to be at least as good as the Dolphins (Who will have some BIG descisions to make next year) and Patriots...with the Jets bringing up the rear.

OpIv37
04-17-2009, 05:10 PM
beat you to it:

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=173270

SABURZFAN
04-17-2009, 05:10 PM
As a Dolphins fan, I must say at the board I mod at, most of us are pretty much scratching our heads at the personnel moves by you guys this off season. I'm not here to talk trash or to get into any flame wars.....That's just the truth from our perspective.

The TO move was met by a mixed response..Some of us were overjoyed and, some of us got lumps in our throats, but, the consensus was..."Watch for the Bills to make a couple more big additions! They are going for it!"

The Peters trade has sort of thrown us for a loop. I'd have to agree with you regarding the rebuilding, but, I see any moves this year in the draft to probably pay off not this year, but 2010.

Owens probably has at least two years left in the tank, and, if he and Evans don't implode, they can be very effective. If Edwards can regain form along with wise drafting with these aquired picks to shore up the O and D lines, the Bills can reasonably expect to be at least as good as the Dolphins (Who will have some BIG descisions to make next year) and Patriots...with the Jets bringing up the rear.

i can only imagine what it looks like from the outside looking in.

Yasgur's Farm
04-17-2009, 05:17 PM
I don't think we're rebuilding... We got rid of a player that was holding this team hostage.

At this point, I'm OK with a line that looks like this...

Walker - Chambers - Hangartner - Butler - Bell

I'm OK taking the player at #11 that is next on my prefered list after the other 10 teams are finished...

OLB Aaron Curry
WR Michael Crabtree
DT BJ Raji
OT Eugene Monroe
OT Jason Smith
DE Everette Brown
DE Brian Orakpo
CB Malcolm Jenkins
OT Michael Oher
OT Andre Smith
WR Jeremy Maclin
OLB Brian Cushing
DE Tyson Jackson

I'm OK with filling starting position holes with all 4 of our top 75 picks.

I'm OK with...
Our RB's
Our WR's
Our CB's
Our DT's
2/3rds of our LB's
Whitner and Scott at FS and SS respectively

I'm looking forward to seeing more of...
Derek Fine at TE
Chris Ellis at DE
James Hardy at WR

There's more but most of you stop reading 2 mins ago

OpIv37
04-17-2009, 05:19 PM
I wouldn't call it rebuilding - every team looks to upgrade at positions of weakness even after they've won the SuperBowl - the Steelers are looking to upgrade at both centre and right tackle on their OL, and they've just won the entire show.

At center, we've been calling for Fowler and Preston to be replaced and by all accounts, Hangartner is a decent young player ready to step up to a starting gig.

Royal was consistently dissed, and there are several rookies who would be an upgrade, plus the team could be up on Derek Fine.

Crowell was a big injury risk and again a rookie could do just as well.

And there is no necessary guarantee we'd go DE though Schobel is getting on in years.

Dockery was mediocre as a LG so only the loss of Peters can be considered a genuine subtraction for the team but only if it was the Peters of 2006/07, not the Peters of last season

Yeah, the problem is that teams that win replace their positions of weakness with other players. We cut starters at LG, LT, and TE and replaced them with NO ONE going into the draft, and that's not even mentioning our other holes at DE and OLB. When you replace a player, it's not a subtraction. When you cut a player and don't replace them, it's a subtraction. In fact, it's the very definition of subtraction.

All teams go through the process of evaluation and attempt to upgrade positions of weakness. When a team does that solely through the draft, they are REBUILDING.

Michael82
04-17-2009, 05:19 PM
I don't think we're rebuilding... We got rid of a player that was holding this team hostage.

I'm OK taking the player at #11 that is next on my prefered list after the other 10 teams are finished...

OLB Aaron Curry
WR Michael Crabtree
DT BJ Raji
OT Eugene Monroe
OT Jason Smith
DE Everette Brown
DE Brian Orakpo
CB Malcolm Jenkins
OT Michael Oher
OT Andre Smith
WR Jeremy Maclin
OLB Brian Cushing
DE Tyson Jackson

I'm OK with...
Our RB's
Our WR's
Our CB's
Our DT's
2/3rds of our LB's

Derek Fine at TE
Chris Ellis at DE
James Hardy at WR

hmmm, good point. but I still see it as 2009 is a rebuilding year....2010 is when we finally start to make some noise! :up:

GoonBoss
04-17-2009, 05:20 PM

OLB Aaron Curry
WR Michael Crabtree
DT BJ Raji
OT Eugene Monroe
OT Jason Smith
DE Everette Brown
DE Brian Orakpo
CB Malcolm Jenkins
OT Michael Oher
OT Andre Smith
WR Jeremy Maclin
OLB Brian Cushing
DE Tyson Jackson

I'm OK with...
Our RB's
Our WR's
Our CB's
Our DT's
2/3rds of our LB's

Derek Fine at TE
Chris Ellis at DE
James Hardy at WR

FWIW, the first thought I had was that you guys were going to make a run at Curry, who I believe is the best player in the draft and will hold great value since the top teams will probably be drafting for desperate need.

OpIv37
04-17-2009, 05:21 PM

Joey Porter, Kris Jenkins and Vince Wilfork just got hard-ons thinking about playing that OL twice this season.

Yasgur's Farm
04-17-2009, 05:28 PM
FWIW, the first thought I had was that you guys were going to make a run at Curry, who I believe is the best player in the draft and will hold great value since the top teams will probably be drafting for desperate need.It would take #11, #28, #75 and #107 to get #3... Not worth it.

Yasgur's Farm
04-17-2009, 05:30 PM
Joey Porter, Kris Jenkins and Vince Wilfork just got hard-ons thinking about playing that OL twice this season.Hangartner improves our position vs Jenkins and Wilfork... >1 sack/game allowed by Jason Peters will not be difficult for Walker to improve on.

GoonBoss
04-17-2009, 05:35 PM
It would take #11, #28, #75 and #107 to get #3... Not worth it.

I don't think it's going to take nearly that much. I also don't think you have to move up to #3. I don't think the Chiefs are going to take Curry. My bet is he falls to around #5.

OpIv37
04-17-2009, 05:40 PM
Hangartner improves our position vs Jenkins and Wilfork... >1 sack/game allowed by Jason Peters will not be difficult for Walker to improve on.

you people are obsessed with a meaningless, subjective stat. I love it how when I bring up Whitner's official stats, everyone tells me that stats don't tell the whole story. But now, people on here are clinging to a subjective stat that's not even officially kept as proof that Peters sucks. You think Peters sucks? Just watch what happens when we have to go a whole season with Walker at LT and Chambers or Bell at RT.

Yasgur's Farm
04-17-2009, 05:41 PM
#5 is attainable and worth it... I just don't think Curry gets past the Chiefs.

Yasgur's Farm
04-17-2009, 05:44 PM
Just watch what happens when we have to go a whole season with Walker at LT and Chambers or Bell at RT.Looking forward to it... Especially when we have an additional 700 draft points (2 picks) in 2009 to fill actual needs.

GoonBoss
04-17-2009, 05:47 PM
#5 is attainable and worth it... I just don't think Curry gets past the Chiefs.

Lots of people agree with you. I think he will slip because the Chiefs overpay for an OT. Seattle won't move out of the spot because they will take Crabtree. I think the Browns don't want to be where they are, and, will be happy to trade out of that spot. Now, I could be completely wrong and, I think the right pick for the Chiefs IS Curry...I just don't have a lot of confidence in the smarts of that front office ATM.

Mr. Pink
04-17-2009, 05:54 PM
hmmm, good point. but I still see it as 2009 is a rebuilding year....2010 is when we finally start to make some noise! :up:

And 2000 through 2008 weren't rebuilding years?

We're constantly rebuilding no matter who's on the field.

DrGraves
04-17-2009, 05:57 PM
I said it before... Buffalo is not rebuidling.

Toronto is laying its ground work...

Michael82
04-17-2009, 06:00 PM
I said it before... Buffalo is not rebuidling.

Toronto is laying its ground work...
:ill:

alohabillsfan
04-17-2009, 06:32 PM
Joey Porter, Kris Jenkins and Vince Wilfork just got hard-ons thinking about playing that OL twice this season.

Yea, we shoulda stayed with status quo! Since the fab 5 did so well last season...