PDA

View Full Version : Any Free Agent Lineman left in Free Agency???

Tomac54
04-17-2009, 06:21 PM
With Peters gone, and dockery, Preston, and Fowler all gone too, I was just wondering if there were any decent OT or OG left out there in free agency for the bills to sign for some security reasons if Bell or Chambers can't hold the load...

What OT or OG would u guys like the bills to look at?

The Spaz
04-17-2009, 06:23 PM
We signed McKinney last week.

Tomac54
04-17-2009, 07:39 PM
Isn't Jonas Jennings and Jon Runyan out there? I want to sign the best tackle or guard available so we have a backup plan it tact if Bell or Chambers dont work. Get a veteran that has experience starting but wont break the bank

Kendall Simmons still out there?

The Jokeman
04-17-2009, 07:42 PM
Isn't Jonas Jennings and Jon Runyan out there? I want to sign the best tackle or guard available so we have a backup plan it tact if Bell or Chambers dont work. Get a veteran that has experience starting but wont break the bank

I'd favor Jennings as he can play left OT where Runyan is a right OT. Also Jennings is still not real old at 31. If the Bills wanted Simmons I'm sure they would have signed him earlier in free agency.

Ickybaluky
04-17-2009, 07:47 PM

Simmons, Jennings and Runyan are all recovering from surgery and probably won't sign until closer to camp when teams get an idea of their recovery.

Mark Tauscher, the GB LT, is another guy out there who isn't ready yet due to coming off surgery.

Kwame Harris and Ephraim Salaam are veteran OT still out there in FA.

Pete Kendell is a veteran OG who is still out there in FA.

Tomac54
04-17-2009, 08:11 PM
Some of those players are pretty solid additions if healthy. thats a big IF, but i think its worth the risk if you can get a fair price for them.

I would preferr Jennings, Simmons,or Tauscher.

SABURZFAN
04-17-2009, 08:22 PM
Pete Kendell is a veteran OG who is still out there in FA.

he would be a decent stopgap for one year.

jimbohastle51
04-17-2009, 08:32 PM
they will probably bring in ruyan or jennings on a 1 year deal so if they dont get the tackle they want at 11 they at least have a solid RT and can swing walker over to LT, michael smith just said on espn even that likely unless the LT they want (i think everyone on this board knows they want andre smith) they will take a defensive player. and even if they get eben britton with the 28th pick, you cant expect him to start at LT right away. you at least bring a vet right tackle in and let britton compete with walker, you dont just let our line be a rookie LT seth mckinney or a rookie at LG and hangartner at C. T.O. wont make a difference if that is our line.

TonyBlack
04-17-2009, 08:33 PM
Matt Lehr

DrGraves
04-17-2009, 08:35 PM
I think we need to make a deal for an establised guard

Nighthawk
04-17-2009, 08:52 PM
they will probably bring in ruyan or jennings on a 1 year deal so if they dont get the tackle they want at 11 they at least have a solid RT and can swing walker over to LT, michael smith just said on espn even that likely unless the LT they want (i think everyone on this board knows they want andre smith) they will take a defensive player. and even if they get eben britton with the 28th pick, you cant expect him to start at LT right away. you at least bring a vet right tackle in and let britton compete with walker, you dont just let our line be a rookie LT seth mckinney or a rookie at LG and hangartner at C. T.O. wont make a difference if that is our line.

I don't think you're going to see them pick a LT at #11. I just have a funny feeling that won't happen.

bigbub2352
04-17-2009, 08:55 PM
kendall simmons

Ickybaluky
04-17-2009, 09:28 PM
Matt Lehr

He isn't that good, just a journeyman. He was bagged for Steroids and suspended 4 games in 2007. Then he signed with New Orleans and was cut last September. He has been out of the NFL since. I think he was a guy who was only in the NFL because of 'Roids. After he got caught, he couldn't make a team (Atlanta/New Orleans).

ParanoidAndroid
04-17-2009, 09:42 PM
If Tauscher is healthy, I'd grab him. He is a better guard than LT from what I understand and would be our starter on the left. He's 31 which isn't too old for a lineman; he has a good 3 years left. By buddy, who is a GB fan said he is one of his favorite players and has been awesome for GB over the years.

Ickybaluky
04-17-2009, 09:56 PM
If Tauscher is healthy, I'd grab him. He is a better guard than LT from what I understand and would be our starter on the left. He's 31 which isn't too old for a lineman; he has a good 3 years left. By buddy, who is a GB fan said he is one of his favorite players and has been awesome for GB over the years.

I like Tauscher a lot as well. Real gamer.

However, he tore his ACL in early December, and that is a 8-10 month recovery. Green Bay coach Mike McCarthy said he has been talking to his agent (Green Bay wants to bring him back), but doesn't expect him to be ready to play before October 1.

Here is an article (http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/41796527.html) with McCarthy's comments.

In addition to Green Bay, the Vikings have expressed interest in signing Tauscher. He may sign with someone in training camp, but will probably start the season on the PUP.

kernowboy
04-18-2009, 04:22 AM
Pete Kendall for 1 year at LG would be a good move.

LifetimeBillsFan
04-18-2009, 05:47 AM
Pete Kendall for 1 year at LG would be a good move.

I agree.

Allen Watson of the Buffalo News hinted in the Bills chat on Friday (see BuffaloNews.com) that the big name offensive lineman that he said that the Bills would sign is still out there and, from the way that he wrote it, he seemed to be indicating that it was someone coming off of an injury that they might be waiting to see if he is going to be healthy or not.

The Bills have met with two players who would fit that description that I know of: Simmons and LeCharles Bentley. If healthy, I wouldn't mind seeing them sign either one.

With Peters gone, I can see the Bills bringing in another vet to play LG and using Chambers to play LT until Bell is ready to take over the position. Chambers didn't play badly at LT when called on last season. Walker, Chambers and Bell would give them the three OT rotation that they need to go into the season and would give them time to bring along a rookie OT slowly for a year or even two. It is unlikely that any OT that they can get at # 11 or later is going to be able to step in and play even as a back-up as a rookie, so they might as well wait until later in the draft and take a guy who needs time to develop.

With Hangartner, Butler, McKinney and another veteran OG, they might be set inside, but they could still take Mack at # 28 or have their choice of a pretty good interior lineman in Round 2. With Mack, they might not need another vet OG. And even some of the other interior linemen that they could get early in the draft could probably start as rookies as well. It's easier to find an interior lineman who can start as a rookie and play reasonably well than it is to find an OT who can step in and play well as a rookie.