PDA

View Full Version : Kelsay on the trading Block?

DBrown77
04-17-2009, 09:03 PM
Per the main page of www.billsdaily.com. The report is that a source told the Buffalo News that Kelsay is being shopped.

What can we get for him? A few Denny's gift cards so Ralph can take out the Rookies for breakfast?

OpIv37
04-17-2009, 09:04 PM
seriously? As much as I hate Kelsay, we have no other DE's.

psubills62
04-17-2009, 09:05 PM
Man, who isn't on the trading block? I love having picks during deep drafts, but this is getting ridiculous. Maybe they're set on replacing Kelsay with Denney and having a rookie like Ayers replace Denney.

OpIv37
04-17-2009, 09:06 PM
if this is true, is there any doubt that we're rebuilding anymore?

Nighthawk
04-17-2009, 09:10 PM

Honestly, to me it's not rebuilding if they get rid of Kelsey...it's improving! I'm totally alright with them changing the pieces of this team that has gone 7-9 for the past 3 years.

DBrown77
04-17-2009, 09:11 PM
if this is true, is there any doubt that we're rebuilding anymore?Their Bringing in Peppers..............:lol::lol:

psubills62
04-17-2009, 09:11 PM

Haha Op, I didn't really read your thread, but I would hope most people agree with you after the Peters trade. I know we're rebuilding...but if we are, this is the draft to do it in. There's a lot of good prospects coming out.

Maybe you didn't see my thread on Jauron and the FO going in different directions...

OpIv37
04-17-2009, 09:12 PM
Honestly, to me it's not rebuilding if they get rid of Kelsey...it's improving! I'm totally alright with them changing the pieces of this team that has gone 7-9 for the past 3 years.

here's the problem though. I'm totally fine with them getting rid of Fowler, Preston, Dockery, Royal to improve. Those guys are a big reason why we are stuck at 7-9. But they only replaced one of those three guys.

I'm all for upgrading Kelsay. But my fear is that this FO will trade him for a 6th round draft pick and we'll go into the season even WORSE at DE than we were with Kelsay.

Philagape
04-17-2009, 09:13 PM
Who would want him at his salary?

OpIv37
04-17-2009, 09:13 PM
Their Bringing in Peppers..............:lol::lol:

and Wayne Central is a great school system!

Nighthawk
04-17-2009, 09:14 PM
here's the problem though. I'm totally fine with them getting rid of Fowler, Preston, Dockery, Royal to improve. Those guys are a big reason why we are stuck at 7-9. But they only replaced one of those three guys.

I'm all for upgrading Kelsay. But my fear is that this FO will trade him for a 6th round draft pick and we'll go into the season even WORSE at DE than we were with Kelsay.

Yeah, I hear ya. This draft is deep though and you have to have faith that Buddy Nix being back will improve their drafting.

TigerJ
04-17-2009, 09:16 PM
Well, If Schobel is healthy, we know he's going to start. The Bills got a decent effort out of Denney at right end when Schobel was out, though Denney is clearly not a RDE and can't really pressure the QB with any regularity. Denny is , however a decent LDE and can play the run. Either Kelsay or Denney is going to be a rotational guy rather than a starter. Buffalo does have Chris Ellis, who may be ready to play this season. If the Bills have any thought of drafting a DE who can get pressure on the QB, whether from the LDE or RDE spot, they really need to open a roster spot. So, do you trade an established veteran, a known quantity though not a very good player, or do you cut a young ploayer you think might have some upside? It makes some sense to me to shop Kelsay. The only question is what can we get for him? A fourth round pick? A third rounder?

Philagape
04-17-2009, 09:16 PM
Let the bidding war begin! The phone's ringing off the hook!

Philagape
04-17-2009, 09:18 PM
Maybe we can trade him and Parrish for Waters and Gonzalez.

whoa, someone just took over my body .......

OpIv37
04-17-2009, 09:19 PM
Well, If Schobel is healthy, we know he's going to start. The Bills got a decent effort out of Denney at right end when Schobel was out, though Denney is clearly not a RDE and can't really pressure the QB with any regularity. Denny is , however a decent LDE and can play the run. Either Kelsay or Denney is going to be a rotational guy rather than a starter. Buffalo does have Chris Ellis, who may be ready to play this season. If the Bills have any thought of drafting a DE who can get pressure on the QB, whether from the LDE or RDE spot, they really need to open a roster spot. So, do you trade an established veteran, a known quantity though not a very good player, or do you cut a young ploayer you think might have some upside? It makes some sense to me to shop Kelsay. The only question is what can we get for him? A fourth round pick? A third rounder?

I think we're looking at no higher than a 6th rounder. He's not that good and the Bills overpaid him, so any trading partner would have to eat his cap hit.

I honestly don't think that Denney is much of a drop off from Kelsay, and I even think he plays the run a little better. But I don't have any faith in Chris Ellis, and trading Kelsay without bringing in another DE kills the rotation.

OpIv37
04-17-2009, 09:19 PM
Maybe we can trade him and Parrish for Waters and Gonzalez.

whoa, someone just took over my body .......

why not? it worked for Mitchell55 in Madden.

yordad
04-17-2009, 09:20 PM
Well, maybe the Bills are plannin' something big. They did just save 30 million.:idunno:

DBrown77
04-17-2009, 09:20 PM
and Wayne Central is a great school system!Why you got to poke at my roots man!

realdealryan
04-17-2009, 09:21 PM
FOR SALE: Underachieving 4-3 DE who is sluggish off the snap. Great locker room presence. High motor guy. As likely to intercept a ball as he is to sack the quarterback. First to celebrate a teammate's great play, as he is usually watching the play and not participating. Send inquiries RussDonahoe@bb.com. Did we mention he's high motor?

OpIv37
Why you got to poke at my roots man!

sorry- it's been a long ass time since I've been able to make a 315er joke. It doesn't resonate around here.

Philagape
Well, maybe the Bills are plannin' something big. They did just save 30 million.:idunno:

For the Bills, that IS something big. Mission accomplished.

psubills62
I could be wrong, but I don't think Kelsay's cap hits or salaries for the last couple years are that much. Someone mentioned them before as about 3-4 million...but clump would be the expert on it.

DBrown77
04-17-2009, 09:22 PM
FOR SALE: Underachieving 4-3 DE who is sluggish off the snap. Great locker room presence. High motor guy. As likely to intercept a ball as he is to sack the quarterback. First to celebrate a teammate's great play, as he is usually watching the play and not participating. Send inquiries RussDonahoe@bb.com. Did we mention he's high motor? Dont forget to add that he over pursues like no other

ParanoidAndroid
04-17-2009, 09:25 PM
I think they are shopping him to see if they can at least get something before they cut him loose. That will be contigent on getting the guy they want out of the draft or, perhaps, a trade.

jimbohastle51
04-17-2009, 09:35 PM
Let the bidding war begin! The phone's ringing off the hook!
You are so right. The only way he gets traded is if we either take a big contract back or a 6th-7th rounder in return. Nothing worth anything will come from trading him other than knowing we put that 2nd round mistake/bust behind us.

yordad
04-17-2009, 09:36 PM
Yeah, maybe they are trying to avoid another blunder. They were talking slow on the Dockery thing.

Ickybaluky
04-17-2009, 09:40 PM
Kelsey would be a nice complementary player for some team. However, his contract will make teams shy away. I don't see them trading for him because of that. He makes a salary of $3M this year and $3.7M next year. I don't see him attractive at that money.

If he gets cut, I think a lot of teams would like to sign him. He would make a nice rotational player on a good defense. He doesn't rush the passer to make big money, but he can play solid.

Dr. Lecter
04-17-2009, 10:09 PM
seriously? As much as I hate Kelsay, we have no other DE's.

If they trade Kelsay and you ***** about it, I will drive down the Virginia just to kick you in the nuts.

justasportsfan
04-17-2009, 10:18 PM
What? You mean the Fo screwed up with another player decision and want to trade him again after they just paid him? Na, this never happens.