PDA

View Full Version : Peters Contract

kid mickey
04-17-2009, 09:27 PM
http://www.eastcoastsportsnews.com/als09scoop.html

He didn't sign for 11.5 mil. He signed for about 9 mil a year. Ain't that a *****. I knew he didn't want to be here.

DBrown77
04-17-2009, 09:30 PM
the trade is official now

Ickybaluky
04-17-2009, 09:32 PM
The National Football Post reported (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/04/breaking-peters-eagles-strike-a-deal/):

6 Yrs, up to $60M with incentives, $24M guaranteed.

I would say he is worth that, given his ability.

tampabay25690
04-17-2009, 09:33 PM
I know for a fact he no longer wanted to be here.
He was pissed that he received no restructure...

psubills62
04-17-2009, 09:34 PM
Hm, eastcoastsportsnews is one of those sites I don't trust. We'll see if it's true...if so, it says that he definitely wanted to get out of Buffalo.

DBrown77
04-17-2009, 09:34 PM
We should have paid him that

kid mickey
04-17-2009, 09:39 PM
According to rumors we offered 9.75 mil. He wanted out of the Queen City. That's it. He can take his happy ass and walk. Good riddance he wasn't that good.

OpIv37
04-17-2009, 09:39 PM
I'm really sick of the "he didn't want to be here" excuse. It's the FO's job to make this a place where players and coaches want to come. If they don't want to come here, the FO is doing something wrong.

kid mickey
04-17-2009, 09:48 PM
Gonna bust your bubble pal, but Buffalo isn't exactly a glamor spot. The Bills get a bad rap because there basically is not a whole lot of things for a player to do here. The economy is bad everywhere, but in Buffalo especially. The only real form of entertainment is the bars or hockey and football. Unless you are a wintery type of person you don't want to be here. You ever wonder why when players leave here they take shots at the city? Because its a well known fact. Guys that fit well here are guys who grew up in a similar type of area and are used to it. Thats why I maintain Brian Cushing would be an awesome pick for the Bills.

psubills62
04-17-2009, 09:50 PM
I'm really sick of the "he didn't want to be here" excuse. It's the FO's job to make this a place where players and coaches want to come. If they don't want to come here, the FO is doing something wrong.

I understand blaming it on them partially due to lack of success over the last few years. But come on...you can't blame it entirely on the fault of the FO. It seems like Hangartner, Owens, Lee Evans, etc. don't mind being in Buffalo. So why did Peters?

And you have to consider: Peters was upset about his contract. If the Bills offered more than the Eagles, why wouldn't he sign with the Bills? If that's all he wanted was a better contract, then why not sign with the Bills?

It seems he wanted to get out, and while part of the blame indeed lies on the FO, there's no way it's 100% on them. IMO, it's like blaming a woman for getting raped...maybe she did some wrong things, but the decision is ultimately the man's.

MikeInRoch
04-17-2009, 09:51 PM

Is it the FO's job to double or triple the size of the city for those players who want to play in a bigger market?

I'm sorry to tell you, but not *EVERY* thing is in the FO's control.

MikeInRoch
04-17-2009, 09:51 PM
We should have paid him that

He wouldn't let us.

justasportsfan
04-17-2009, 09:53 PM
According to rumors we offered 9.75 mil. He wanted out of the Queen City. That's it. He can take his happy ass and walk. Good riddance he wasn't that good.
rumors

psubills62
04-17-2009, 09:55 PM
rumors

You don't think those rumors had any basis? It was widely reported that the two sides exchanged several offers. It's not unreasonable to think the Bills offered at least 8.5-9 million, raising it each time.

Does anyone really think Peters wanted to be in Buffalo? Everything points to him just wanting out.

PromoTheRobot
04-17-2009, 09:56 PM
The National Football Post reported (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/04/breaking-peters-eagles-strike-a-deal/):

6 Yrs, up to $60M with incentives, $24M guaranteed.

I would say he is worth that, given his HYPE.

Fixed it.

PTR

justasportsfan
04-17-2009, 09:56 PM
You don't think those rumors had any basis? It was widely reported that the two sides exchanged several offers. It's not unreasonable to think the Bills offered at least 8.5-9 million, raising it each time.

Does anyone really think Peters wanted to be in Buffalo? Everything points to him just wanting out.
maybe a 2.4 guaranteed

kid mickey
04-17-2009, 09:58 PM
It was in the news they were offering at least 9 mil to him. I'm personally glad we didn't overpay for him. I personally met him when I worked at Louies Hot Dogs. Didn't like him then, don't like him now. He wasn't rude or anything. I don't know I just got this negative vibe from being around him. He just had this this sucks attitude flowing around him. I personally believe that he didn't want to be a Buffalo Bill and I would be willing to bet that he didn't want to be a Buffalo Bill.

PromoTheRobot
04-17-2009, 09:58 PM
Tim Graham said it was 6 for $60M, $30M guaranteed. Take out the two years he's under contract for already, that's 4 years at $12.6M/yr. He can now claim to be the highest paid LT in the NFL. Now let's see if he plays up to that contract.

PTR

justasportsfan
04-17-2009, 10:00 PM
Tim Graham said it was 6 for $60M, $30M guaranteed. Take out the two years he's under contract for already, that's 4 years at $12.6M/yr. He can now claim to be the highest paid LT in the NFL. Now let's see if he plays up to that contract.

PTR
lets see who has a better record. Eagles or bills

Ickybaluky
04-17-2009, 10:01 PM

PTR

Actually what Graham reported is (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0-7-89/Peters-hits--60-million-jackpot-in-Philly.html):

The entire structured contract is for six years and $60 million with almost $25 million in guarantees.

I don't know how you get $12.6M. It is a $10M AAV with $25M gauranteed. He gets $53M in "new money" over the 6 years.

Jeff1220
04-17-2009, 10:02 PM
I read on PFT that the Peters trade negotiations started immediately after the Eagles were eliminated from the playoffs:
http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

Citing a team source, Caplan reported that the trade terms were agreed upon this morning and has been in the works ever since the Eagles’ playoff loss to the Arizona Cardinals.
Back then, it still looked like an extension should happen. It sounds like the Bills never really intended on keeping him.

streetkings01
04-17-2009, 10:03 PM
We should have paid him thatWe offered him $9.5 a season!

psubills62
04-17-2009, 10:05 PM
lets see who has a better record. Eagles or bills

Or maybe we should see whose record improves more. The Eagles were 9-6-1 last year without Peters. If they're 8-8 in 2009, and we're 8-8 too, then I'd say it would look like we got the better end of the deal.

justasportsfan
04-17-2009, 10:07 PM
Or maybe we should see whose record improves more. The Eagles were 9-6-1 last year without Peters. If they're 8-8 in 2009, and we're 8-8 too, then I'd say it would look like we got the better end of the deal.
fair enough. Byt they way tthey won 2 playoffs games and knocked out the giants. Means to say the bills have to make ground for that because we haven't won one since ... I forgot.

Kenny
04-17-2009, 10:09 PM
If they don't want to come here, the FO is doing something wrong.

I think Peters pretty much made his mind after last year's ****-up. While I hate Peters for this ****, -it takes two.
The FO should of had this taken care of last year. Good job guys! :bs:

Ickybaluky
04-17-2009, 10:10 PM
I realize you guys are mad at the guy, and he definitely didn't do himself any favors holding out last year, but you can't take away how good a player the guy is.

Andy Reid said of him (http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=17670):

"Jason Peters is the best left tackle in football," said head coach Andy Reid. "He is a powerful and athletic tackle and I have admired his play over the last few years on film. I have always believed that success in the National Football League is derived from the strong play of the offensive and defensive lines. This offseason we have added two young, top-flight offensive linemen in Jason and Stacy Andrews."

Reid came up as an OL coach and is a very good judge of talent on the lines. Peters is one of the best in the NFL at his position.

Granted, the Bills reached a point where it wasn't going to work anymore. However, no matter how you slice it they gave up a top player at a premium position. Denying that is just sour grapes.

kid mickey
04-17-2009, 10:10 PM
You know what any given Sunday any team can win. I don't really care to compare to the Eagles. I want to see how we stack up against Phins, Jets, and Pats. If we can beat those guys then I will be happy. If the Eagles go 11-5 and the Bills go 9-7 doesn't matter to me. What matters is play-offs.

PromoTheRobot
04-17-2009, 10:11 PM
I don't know how you get $12.6M. It is a $10M AAV with $25M gauranteed. He gets $53M in "new money" over the 6 years.
I guess I meant $53M over 4 new years = around $12.6/yr.

PTR

justasportsfan
04-17-2009, 10:13 PM
"Jason Peters is the best left tackle in football," said head coach Andy Reid. "He is a powerful and athletic tackle and I have admired his play over the last few years on film. I have always believed that success in the National Football League is derived from the strong play of the offensive and defensive lines. This offseason we have added two young, top-flight offensive linemen in Jason and Stacy Andrews."Games are won in the trenches? what does Reid know? Russ brandon is laughing at him right now.

kid mickey
04-17-2009, 10:16 PM
Peters is a talented player. I am not saying he isn't. I do think though that he can be replaced. There is a lot of talk that Demetrius Bell has more potential than he does. I guess the Bills really believe that. It is a wait and see thing. I hope he shines. I really hope Bell comes in and kicks a lot of ass.

Ickybaluky
04-17-2009, 10:16 PM
I guess I meant $53M over 4 new years = around $12.6/yr.

PTR

It isn't $53M in new money over 4 years, it is $53M in new money over 6 years. He got a new contract, his compensation isn't the same the next couple years.

kid mickey
04-17-2009, 10:19 PM
The line could look like this week one Walker Rookie Hangartner Butler Bell

justasportsfan
04-17-2009, 10:21 PM
Walker Rookie Hangartner Butler Bell
..............Trent :pray:

tampabay25690
04-17-2009, 10:21 PM
What does it matter now....
He is gone and Im thrilled, I guess we move on to the draft now....
Enough with Peters he is a Eagle now.....

Dr. Lecter
04-17-2009, 10:23 PM
10 million per.

More than reasonable.

Ickybaluky
04-17-2009, 10:25 PM
Peters is a talented player. I am not saying he isn't. I do think though that he can be replaced. There is a lot of talk that Demetrius Bell has more potential than he does. I guess the Bills really believe that. It is a wait and see thing. I hope he shines. I really hope Bell comes in and kicks a lot of ass.

I don't know if I'd say that, but that really isn't an argument for today.

I will say that I can't imagine Trent Edwards would be thrilled about Bell starting. It is a pretty big jump from Northwestern State to the NFL. Even if Bell physically has matured a ton, you want to throw him in there to block along with at least 2 other new starters, right off the bat?

You can have all the "potential" in the world in those guys, but if you get Edwards killed while they are learning to play together you really haven't helped your team.

kid mickey
04-17-2009, 10:26 PM
Walker Rookie Hangartner Butler Bell
..............Trent :pray:

I know your a skeptic, but I am a realist. Not a pessimist not an optimist. I take it for what it is. You could be right. You could be wrong. I reserve judgment.

psubills62
04-17-2009, 10:28 PM
It isn't $53M in new money over 4 years, it is $53M in new money over 6 years. He got a new contract, his compensation isn't the same the next couple years.

I'm a little confused, especially by Tim Graham's quote:

"That makes Peters the highest-paid offensive lineman in NFL history, surpassing the deal the Miami Dolphins awarded No. 1 draft choice Jake Long one year ago."

That was right after Graham specified that Peters gets 53 million new money over an additional 4 years. Since 10 million per year isn't more than Long's deal, I'd have to guess that they're looking at 53/4 = 13.25 million per year.

I'm not very knowledgeable on contracts, though, but his deal isn't bigger than Long's like Graham says unless you just look at it over 4 years, as far as I can tell.

justasportsfan
04-17-2009, 10:31 PM
I know your a skeptic, but I am a realist. Not a pessimist not an optimist. I take it for what it is. You could be right. You could be wrong. I reserve judgment.
Can't be a realist if you think we're going anywhere with the same staff with the pats and fins getting better and possibly the jets. Our sched this year doesn't look to be any easier than last year. Who knows we'll catch a break and everyone we play early in the season will be injured again. Maybe we'll make it back to 7-9
I was labeled a homer last year now I'm a realist :D

Ickybaluky
04-17-2009, 10:36 PM
I'm a little confused, especially by Tim Graham's quote:

"That makes Peters the highest-paid offensive lineman in NFL history, surpassing the deal the Miami Dolphins awarded No. 1 draft choice Jake Long one year ago."

That was right after Graham specified that Peters gets 53 million new money over an additional 4 years. Since 10 million per year isn't more than Long's deal, I'd have to guess that they're looking at 53/4 = 13.25 million per year.

I'm not very knowledgeable on contracts, though, but his deal isn't bigger than Long's like Graham says unless you just look at it over 4 years, as far as I can tell.

Some of that $53M is front money. He will get some signing bonus as part of the $53M. It is money over and above the $7M he was due to be paid. It may be "new money", but that doesn't mean he has to wait 2 years to receive it. He will probably get at least $25M-$30M in the first 3 years.

That is basically the same money as Jordan Gross got. Long got more, so I'm not sure what Gross is talking about. Long got 5 Yrs/$57.5M, $30M guaranteed, so I'm not sure what Graham was saying calling him the highest paid.

Kenny
04-17-2009, 10:44 PM

I dont buy it. There's a big difference in being forced into a situation where you have no one else other than Bell, versus actually believing that Bell's going to be equally as good or better than Peters.

kid mickey
04-17-2009, 10:46 PM
Can't be a realist if you think we're going anywhere with the same staff with the pats and fins getting better and possibly the jets. Our sched this year doesn't look to be any easier than last year. Who knows we'll catch a break and everyone we play early in the season will be injured again. Maybe we'll make it back to 7-9
I was labeled a homer last year now I'm a realist :D

Wrong a realist lives in the here and now reacts to actual events. We do not know how the trade of Peters will affect this team. A pessimist says the Jets, Phins, and Pats all got better, the Bills are gonna crawl to 7-9. An optimist says the Bills are gonna gonna make the play-offs and kick every teams ass. A realist says. Show me. You are a homer. You showed me.

kid mickey
04-17-2009, 10:48 PM
I dont buy it. There's a big difference in being forced into a situation where you have no one else other than Bell, versus actually believing that Bell's going to be equally as good or better than Peters.

Same thing happened with Peters. How is it not possible? They like what they see in him. Modrak is very high on him. He said he would be surprised if you didn't see him on the field soon. I take it for what it is.

justasportsfan
04-17-2009, 10:48 PM
there was a time when the bills believed Dockery was worth being paid the most in franchise history. hey changed their mind. they also believed Kelsay was worth what they are paying him now.Rumor is they are changing their mind again.

justasportsfan
04-17-2009, 10:50 PM
Wrong a realist lives in the here and now reacts to actual events. We do not know how the trade of Peters will affect this team. A pessimist says the Jets, Phins, and Pats all got better, the Bills are gonna crawl to 7-9. An optimist says the Bills are gonna gonna make the play-offs and kick every teams ass. A realist says. Show me. You are a homer. You showed me.
you havent been here long enough newbie to know what a realist is around here.

OpIv37
04-17-2009, 10:52 PM
I understand blaming it on them partially due to lack of success over the last few years. But come on...you can't blame it entirely on the fault of the FO. It seems like Hangartner, Owens, Lee Evans, etc. don't mind being in Buffalo. So why did Peters?

And you have to consider: Peters was upset about his contract. If the Bills offered more than the Eagles, why wouldn't he sign with the Bills? If that's all he wanted was a better contract, then why not sign with the Bills?

It seems he wanted to get out, and while part of the blame indeed lies on the FO, there's no way it's 100% on them. IMO, it's like blaming a woman for getting raped...maybe she did some wrong things, but the decision is ultimately the man's.

Owens had no choice. The Bills made Evans a fair offer before his contract was up, so it would have been risky for him to turn it down in hopes of other offers. Hangartner- well, I don't think they were exactly beating down his door with offers.

It's not 100% on the FO but this seems to be a recurring pattern- Peters, Tony Gonzales, Darwin Walker, Crowell, several coaches.... when that's the case, then the FO is doing something wrong.

kid mickey
04-17-2009, 10:56 PM
there was a time when the bills believed Dockery was worth being paid the most in franchise history. hey changed their mind. they also believed Kelsay was worth what they are paying him now.Rumor is they are changing their mind again.

Kelsay is a high character player who the Bills like. I won't vouch for the guy and I won't say he is horrible either. I really have no comment on him. His play is borderline. I don't think he is worth the cash he got. I will say that. If he is on the trade block than maybe the Bills and his relationship may be waning. I will wait to see. Dockery's play was horrible for the cash he got paid. That was a Marv blunder. In fact he had no business being a GM. I look back at the drafts and FA he was a part of and no OL he liked is on this team anymore. That just goes to show he doesn't have an eye for scouting talent. He is just good at coaching talent.

kid mickey
04-17-2009, 11:02 PM
you havent been here long enough newbie to know what a realist is around here.

Being a realist has nothing to do with how long I have been on a board pal. Being a realist has more to do with how you perceive things. I think I define Realist to a T. So now I know what I am dealing with here. A pragmatic person. That's cool though. I don't hate. Oh and you could post a million and one times doesn't mean you know more than me.

Kenny
04-17-2009, 11:04 PM
Wrong a realist lives in the here and now reacts to actual events.

You want the 'here and now'? Here it is:

- We have an incredibly weak OL. Walker - ??? - Hangartner - Butler - Bell/Chambers? (good luck Trent)
- No pass rush
- Missing an OLB
- Unproven QB
- Reliance on rookies to step in and contribute immediately
- Significantly tougher schedule

I dont know, but the 'here and now' all points to another losing season (I think it'd be an accomplishment to hit the 7-win mark this year).

kid mickey
04-17-2009, 11:05 PM
Owens had no choice. The Bills made Evans a fair offer before his contract was up, so it would have been risky for him to turn it down in hopes of other offers. Hangartner- well, I don't think they were exactly beating down his door with offers.

It's not 100% on the FO but this seems to be a recurring pattern- Peters, Tony Gonzales, Darwin Walker, Crowell, several coaches.... when that's the case, then the FO is doing something wrong.

Do you remember Willis McGahee? If you do then you will remember what he said about this town. I am a Buffalo resident and I love the area, but a lot of what he was saying is true. I don't like him though. You gotta be from Buffalo to talk smack about Buffalo.

justasportsfan
04-17-2009, 11:09 PM

- We have an incredibly weak OL. Walker - ??? - Hangartner - Butler - Bell/Chambers? (good luck Trent)
- No pass rush
- Missing an OLB
- Unproven QB

I dont know, but the 'here and now' all points to another losing season (I think it'd be an accomplishment to hit the 7-win mark this year).
bravo realist!!! :clap:

kid mickey
04-17-2009, 11:10 PM

- No pass rush
- Missing an OLB
- Unproven QB

Another pragmatist. You could be right, but the season hasn't started yet so you are conveying what could happen, but not what will happen.

kid mickey
04-17-2009, 11:11 PM
Thus making you a pessimist.

justasportsfan
04-17-2009, 11:13 PM
Another pragmatist. You could be right, but the season hasn't started yet so you are conveying what could happen, but not what will happen.
you're lucky Op's wife made him go to bed. Wait til he reads your posts in the AM. Be afraid. Be very afraid!

kid mickey
04-17-2009, 11:13 PM
Here is the best way to convey realism. An optimist looks at his bottle of beer and says hey, its half full, a pessimist looks at his bottle and says hey, its half empty. A realist looks at his bottle and says hey somebody is drinking my beer.

Kenny
04-17-2009, 11:15 PM
Thus making you a pessimist.

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck... most (realists) would call it a duck

But I guess you'll call it a swan?

kid mickey
04-17-2009, 11:16 PM
you're lucky Op's wife made him go to bed. Wait til he reads your posts in the AM. Be afraid. Be very afraid!

Right man. I'm just shaking in my digital world boots. I can't wait. I'd much rather spar with minds that may teach me something than with guys who seem to be lacking upstairs. Done here.

justasportsfan
04-17-2009, 11:17 PM
Here is the best way to convey realism. An optimist looks at his bottle of beer and says hey, its half full, a pessimist looks at his bottle and says hey, its half empty. A realist looks at his bottle and says hey somebody is drinking my beer.
been there. done that.Dick's been pissing on your mug for 3 years going on 4 but hey, your beer mug is half full.

kid mickey
04-17-2009, 11:23 PM
If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck... most (realists) would call it a duck

But I guess you'll call it a swan?

Sure. Sure. Problem is what your saying is pessimistic. You say the Bills won't succeed. How do you know? How do you know that? Are you a future seeing realist? I guess you must be. All hail the man who sees the future. Problem is you don't know what your looking at. You can only conceive what your brain tells you to. When you don't know what your looking at because you can't see what the future is, you start applying guess work thus making you pragmatic and your views are pessimistic. Done with you as well.

DMBcrew36
04-17-2009, 11:24 PM
You know what any given Sunday any team can win. I don't really care to compare to the Eagles. I want to see how we stack up against Phins, Jets, and Pats. If we can beat those guys then I will be happy. If the Eagles go 11-5 and the Bills go 9-7 doesn't matter to me. What matters is play-offs.

Playoffs? PLAYOFFS? This team won't even catch a whiff this year. I'll be surprised if they aren't eliminated from playoff contention by the end of November - and that isn't being pessimistic.

I just hope they're able to keep it entertaining - I guess at least TO can do that.

psubills62
04-17-2009, 11:24 PM

Owens had no choice? I remember hearing reports that there were offers to other teams, the money was just better here.

You really think Evans wouldn't have gotten big money on the free agent market? He would have been the top wideout, bar none. Housh got what...9 million per year, and he's a good deal over 30. Evans would have gotten 9 million per year at the very least. He said he wanted to stay in Buffalo, and it showed by signing an extension.

Haynesworth didn't want to stay in Tennessee, does that mean they're doing something wrong? Peppers only wants to go to four other teams...does that mean that the other 28 are doing something wrong? You can't just say "these people didn't want to come here, thus the FO must be doing something wrong." Like I said, I'm sure the FO is partly to blame, but that doesn't mean the players aren't.

kid mickey
04-17-2009, 11:32 PM
been there. done that.Dick's been pissing on your mug for 3 years going on 4 but hey, your beer mug is half full.

Facts are facts and the facts don't lie. If Ralph Wilson didn't think Jauron was worth retaining he wouldn't have been retained. I also believe he was voted coach of the year one of those years. Fact players like him. Fact intelligent. Fact gets the most out his players. Fact got this team to 14th in D. Fact has had crappy offensive coordinators. Fact has had marginal/rookies playing QB. Fact makes some poor decisions when game is on the line. Fact needs to start winning. Get over the Fact that you think he is crappy because he has 3 7-9 seasons. He is still here and thats the most important fact.

Dr. Pepper
04-17-2009, 11:37 PM
Facts are facts and the facts don't lie. If Ralph Wilson didn't think Jauron was worth retaining he wouldn't have been retained. I also believe he was voted coach of the year one of those years. Fact players like him. Fact intelligent. Fact gets the most out his players. Fact got this team to 14th in D. Fact has had crappy offensive coordinators. Fact has had marginal/rookies playing QB. Fact makes some poor decisions when game is on the line. Fact needs to start winning. Get over the Fact that you think he is crappy because he has 3 7-9 seasons. He is still here and thats the most important fact.

most of those things you listed are not facts. and wouldnt it be jauron's own fault that hes had crappy offensive coordinators?

Kenny
04-17-2009, 11:46 PM

How is that the 'Fact' that he's intelligent relevant? And is really a fact that he gets the most out of his players? Like who?
How is getting this team to 14th overall relevant? (or is it a 'fact' that you like mediocrity?)

And who cares that players like him? Why not bring in Herm after Dicky's gone? Im sure the player's will love him!

I love the "Fact are Facts and the Facts dont lie" B.S.
Most of what you posted were opinions, and there was practically nothing relevant to your so-called facts.

OpIv37
04-18-2009, 09:25 AM
Owens had no choice? I remember hearing reports that there were offers to other teams, the money was just better here.

You really think Evans wouldn't have gotten big money on the free agent market? He would have been the top wideout, bar none. Housh got what...9 million per year, and he's a good deal over 30. Evans would have gotten 9 million per year at the very least. He said he wanted to stay in Buffalo, and it showed by signing an extension.

Haynesworth didn't want to stay in Tennessee, does that mean they're doing something wrong? Peppers only wants to go to four other teams...does that mean that the other 28 are doing something wrong? You can't just say "these people didn't want to come here, thus the FO must be doing something wrong." Like I said, I'm sure the FO is partly to blame, but that doesn't mean the players aren't.

I heard Owens had no other options.

Name one other player who wanted out or refused to go to Tennessee. They have the longest tenured coach in the NFL and they went from cap jail to best team in the AFC in 3 years. They're consistent and they win, so players want to go there.

You came up with two examples league-wide of players who don't want to play for specific teams. I came up with FOUR who didn't want to play in Buffalo. There will always be disgruntled players. It's the frequency of them for the Bills that is a concern.

As far as Evans, yes, he probably would have gotten big money as an FA. But the Bills offered him big money. What if he has a crappy season (remember, he has an inexperienced QB throwing him the ball)? What if he blows out his knee? Buffalo guaranteed him millions before anyone else had a chance. He could have waited, but it would have been a risk- not a huge risk, but a risk nonetheless. So I don't see it as a fair comparison.

justasportsfan
04-18-2009, 09:27 AM

This is one crappy reasoning. You talk about what Ralph thinks and call them facts even though Ralphs decisions hasn't gotten us anywhere this decade and then you ignore facts that we just went through 3 consecutive LOSING seasons. You wouldn't know what facts are if they hit you on the face. You are depending on an old man to know what it takes to win even though FACTS have shown he's been clueless this decade.

HHURRICANE
04-18-2009, 12:04 PM
http://www.eastcoastsportsnews.com/als09scoop.html

He didn't sign for 11.5 mil. He signed for about 9 mil a year. Ain't that a *****. I knew he didn't want to be here.

People, you do realize that the Bills offered him 8 million. So why would he want to stay if he can get closer to 10 million?

It was reported that the Bills never went above 8 million. End of story. We are cheap and stupid.

I love how people are trying to spin it as if he didn't want to play in Buffalo.

The Bills didn't want to pay him.

kernowboy
04-18-2009, 12:07 PM
You pay for performance not for petulance

Bert102176
04-18-2009, 12:57 PM
maybe he'll get shot in the city of brotherly love which is known for it's violence

psubills62
04-18-2009, 01:14 PM
I heard Owens had no other options.

Name one other player who wanted out or refused to go to Tennessee. They have the longest tenured coach in the NFL and they went from cap jail to best team in the AFC in 3 years. They're consistent and they win, so players want to go there.

You came up with two examples league-wide of players who don't want to play for specific teams. I came up with FOUR who didn't want to play in Buffalo. There will always be disgruntled players. It's the frequency of them for the Bills that is a concern.

As far as Evans, yes, he probably would have gotten big money as an FA. But the Bills offered him big money. What if he has a crappy season (remember, he has an inexperienced QB throwing him the ball)? What if he blows out his knee? Buffalo guaranteed him millions before anyone else had a chance. He could have waited, but it would have been a risk- not a huge risk, but a risk nonetheless. So I don't see it as a fair comparison.

Well, the only thing I can find on it is Rosenhaus's quote saying that several teams are interested, and that he expects a deal to be done by the end of the week. While agents aren't to be trusted normally, he was right on the second part. I also remember hearing that other teams were interested, but they didn't offer any guaranteed money. Either way, if he didn't want to come here, why didn't he wait for a team to have an injury in TC?

I think Coach Sal said it best:

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=173331

Look at the 4th post in that thread. Asante Samuel didn't want to play for the Patriots. Deion Branch got pissed off and wanted out of New England too. Do you blame NE's front office for those? Probably not...but only because they've been winning. Buffalo's front office handles things the same way, and you get peeved at them? Aren't they supposed to emulate model franchises? The Pats traded Deion Branch away, who was supposed to be pretty good at that time, and it looks like they got the better end of that.

That is such a bull argument with Evans. How many games has he missed due to "injury" in his career in the NFL? None that I know of. If he actually wanted out of Buffalo, he would have stuck it out until free agency. He stated several times before that he wanted to stay in Buffalo, and he ended up signing a contract with them. Nobody signs with a team midway through the season if they would rather be elsewhere, especially if they know they can get similar or more money on the free market.

I don't EVER remember hearing Peters say he wanted to stay in Buffalo. If you can prove me wrong on that, feel free.

psubills62
04-18-2009, 01:23 PM
People, you do realize that the Bills offered him 8 million. So why would he want to stay if he can get closer to 10 million?

It was reported that the Bills never went above 8 million. End of story. We are cheap and stupid.

I love how people are trying to spin it as if he didn't want to play in Buffalo.

The Bills didn't want to pay him.

You are beyond hilarious. It seems as though you believe only the things that you like to hear, and then perpetuate them as facts.

It's not the end of the story.

Please show me any article anywhere where Peters said that he wanted to play for Buffalo. People like you keep going around saying that Peters wanted to play for Buffalo...so I'd like to know where you get that from. I'm sorry, but anyone who acts like he did last year is essentially saying that he doesn't want to play where he's under contract, imo.