PDA

View Full Version : Peters will play at his current rate for the next two seasons

Coach Sal
04-17-2009, 11:25 PM
Piecing this together.

According to Tim Graham:

By Friday night, according to a source, Peters had signed a four-year extension worth $53 million in new money. The Eagles acquired him with two years remaining on his Bills contract. In total, Peters will make $60 million over the next six seasons.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4077093

So, if the numbers Graham is quoting are accurate (which I'm confident they are), Peters isn't even getting a raise this year or next. He'll play at his current rate of $3.375 million each of the next two seasons, then the new money will kick in in 2011. It was assumed by most all along that Peters wanted more money NOW, which is what caused his holdout last year to begin this saga.

Figuring all that in, I'm inclined to believe this was much more than a money issue with Peters. He apparently just wanted out of Buffalo and used his contract situation as a scapegoat to get his wishes. If he truly didn't want to play for the Bills anymore, the organization did the right thing by trading him and getting a 1st round draft pick, plus two other picks, is most likely the best possible scenario they could have hoped for.

Hopefully we'll eventually know the real story. I'll be making some inquiries over the next few days to try and find anything out. But I now think this was a power play all along to get out of Buffalo. If it wasn't, why wouldn't he continue to play under the current deal with the Bills (while negotiating a new one) when he agreed to do so with the Eagles?

psubills62
04-17-2009, 11:28 PM
That is really strange. So was he trying to force a trade last offseason too, not just trying to get a new contract?

I just don't understand how people can continue to believe Peters wanted to stay in Buffalo. Players who want to stay on a team don't pull all the crap that he pulled. They also don't sign an extension that doesn't kick in at all until after your current contract is done (although the guaranteed money is probably paid now, right?).

Dr. Lecter
04-17-2009, 11:29 PM
If this is accurate, it more depressing than losing him due to money. Having a player just want out (especially with Peters history) should be of great concern.

Coach Sal
04-17-2009, 11:35 PM
If this is accurate, it more depressing than losing him due to money. Having a player just want out (especially with Peters history) should be of great concern.

I don't worry about that. Everybody's different.

Taylor wanted out of Miami last year. Peppers wants out of Carolina. Boldin wants out of Arizona. I don't think it's an indictment on those cities.
Who knows what reasons people have to want to or not want to be somewhere?!

Lee Evans had no problem signing on to stay in Buffalo.

clumping platelets
04-17-2009, 11:36 PM
His contact before trade had a salary of $3.8 million after the escalator and his 2010 salary was listed as $3.4 million but could add as much as $1 million

He's getting up front money, so he's not playing the next 2 yrs on the original deal

Kenny
04-17-2009, 11:37 PM
That is really strange. So was he trying to force a trade last offseason too, not just trying to get a new contract?

I just don't understand how people can continue to believe Peters wanted to stay in Buffalo. Players who want to stay on a team don't pull all the crap that he pulled. They also don't sign an extension that doesn't kick in at all until after your current contract is done (although the guaranteed money is probably paid now, right?).

I have a feeling that last season he actually did want the new contract. When he was forced to swallow his pride, and the Bills made him looks like a little *****, he pretty much decided then that he was done with the Bills.

psubills62
04-17-2009, 11:37 PM

This I can agree with. However, as I was saying to Op...while some of it can indeed be blamed on OBD, some of it is the player.

I'm wondering if he's wanted out since last offseason...or if the way the Bills handled his holdout ticked him off and then after that he decided he wanted out. If it's the former, I'd like to know why he wanted out. If it's the latter, I wouldn't put much blame on the FO...most every front office in the league would try to handle it like that. Look at Arizona, does anyone think they'd give in to Boldin if he started holding out? I seriously doubt it.

psubills62
04-17-2009, 11:40 PM
I have a feeling that last season he actually did want the new contract. When he was forced to swallow his pride, and the Bills made him looks like a little *****, he pretty much decided then that he was done with the Bills.

Well in that case, I don't blame the Bills. Most every smart business person would have handled the situation similarly. It's his own fault for holding out in the first place. If he puts his pride on the line, he'd better be prepared to swallow it if he needs to.

Coach Sal
04-17-2009, 11:42 PM
His contact before trade had a salary of $3.8 million after the escalator and his 2010 salary was listed as $3.4 million but could add as much as $1 million

He's getting up front money, so he's not playing the next 2 yrs on the original deal

You could be right, but I don't read i like that. It says $53 mil in "new money" on a 4-year extension and he will now make a total of $60 mil.

53+7 on his current deal = 60.

Are you saying part of the $53 mil is being paid now?

You may be absolutely correct, but I'd like to see that stated. Does "guaranteed" always equal "up front?"

jmb1099
04-17-2009, 11:50 PM
As usual there is more than one way to spin a story. Peters didn't want to be here. Let's face it, last year he essentially gave Bills nation the finger. How quickly we forget his unwillingness to even return a phone call... He acted like an arse and now he's someone else's problem. Maybe Peter's behavior is the reason he didn't get his massive pay day. Sounds like he has two years to make his case.
Also take this into consideration, The giants were also interested. So they offered less for Peters, they didn't believe he was worth what Philly was offering. How many other teams were beating down our doors with better offers? If Peters is half the LT some are making him out to be we could have walked away with a kings ransom. I understand what this potentially means for this year, but he wasn't going to play for us this year anyway. We got out of a disaster before it happened again.

Michael82
04-18-2009, 12:35 AM
It's so obvious that Peters didn't want to be here and forced his way off the team. For that, we are lucky we were able to get a 1st rounder and more for him. Now he's someone else's problem. Good riddance! :bigwave:

Ickybaluky
04-18-2009, 05:34 AM
Are you saying part of the $53 mil is being paid now?

Of course it is. It is new money on an extension, but some will be paid as a signing bonus. He got almost $25M in guarantees.

When they say "new money", it means money the extension gives over his existing contract. They extended him 4 years, and gave him $53M more. However, it isn't just added on at the end of the contract, some almost certainly will be paid up front.

SABURZFAN
04-18-2009, 05:39 AM
It's so obvious that Peters didn't want to be here and forced his way off the team. For that, we are lucky we were able to get a 1st rounder and more for him. Now he's someone else's problem. Good riddance! :bigwave:

i heard he got tired of looking up in the crowd and seeing you. :snicker:

wbat27
04-18-2009, 07:16 AM
*&#$ peters he is the past and after the draft we will know the future and it will be what it is. I billieve that we will get three to four solid starters in this draft a pay all of them less then what peters wanted to deal with playing in buf

Nighthawk
04-18-2009, 07:22 AM
Piecing this together.

According to Tim Graham:

So, if the numbers Graham is quoting are accurate (which I'm confident they are), Peters isn't even getting a raise this year or next. He'll play at his current rate of $3.375 million each of the next two seasons, then the new money will kick in in 2011. It was assumed by most all along that Peters wanted more money NOW, which is what caused his holdout last year to begin this saga.

Figuring all that in, I'm inclined to believe this was much more than a money issue with Peters. He apparently just wanted out of Buffalo and used his contract situation as a scapegoat to get his wishes. If he truly didn't want to play for the Bills anymore, the organization did the right thing by trading him and getting a 1st round draft pick, plus two other picks, is most likely the best possible scenario they could have hoped for.

Hopefully we'll eventually know the real story. I'll be making some inquiries over the next few days to try and find anything out. But I now think this was a power play all along to get out of Buffalo. If it wasn't, why wouldn't he continue to play under the current deal with the Bills (while negotiating a new one) when he agreed to do so with the Eagles?

He does get new money...the signing bonus. That goes into his pocket immediately...so money was important. Also, this ridiculous extension makes him the highest paid LT, which I don't believe he deserves to be. I backed this guy as much as anybody, but he is not the top LT in the NFL.

Nighthawk
04-18-2009, 07:23 AM
Of course it is. It is new money on an extension, but some will be paid as a signing bonus. He got almost $25M in guarantees.

When they say "new money", it means money the extension gives over his existing contract. They extended him 4 years, and gave him $53M more. However, it isn't just added on at the end of the contract, some almost certainly will be paid up front.

Ha, ha...I posted pretty much the same thing before I saw your post.

Saratoga Slim
04-18-2009, 08:59 AM

I think that's spot on.

trapezeus
04-18-2009, 10:11 AM
yeah, some yahoo article showed that the guaratnee is $25MM. if the bills offered to increase his salary for 2 years to $10MM, he was still missing out on $15MM today.

bills weren't going to put up that signing bonus for a guy under contract. they were going to give him a yearly increase.

i think we all got what we wanted out of this. peters wanted out and got a great contract. perhaps last year he was sabotaging the year and will return to form....or perhaps he's just a money hungry player who will lose his edge.

i just hope now that the bills make the most of the picks they have.

Oaf
04-18-2009, 10:49 AM
On a side note, I will bet ZB's Peters lowers his demands now that he's out of B-Lo.

When he was forced to show up last year and we did not cave to his demands, it was seen as a fatal miff and he was determined to get out.