PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Peters and the Draft

historypete
04-18-2009, 01:13 AM
The Peters situation to me is interesting on a number of levels. First, his departure clearly makes an already chaotic situation on the offensive line even worse. I know he had his struggles last year but he is still a top 5 LT, and that is hard to replace. His leaving now creates another void to fill on top of having to find depth. I think this organization is nuts if they think Chambers can play at LG, Walker LT, Hangartner at C, and Bell at RT. I also do not have much faith in the signing of McKinney, a solid backup but not a full-time starter in my opinion.

Second, it seems pretty obvious that Peters wanted out. He was going to be a distraction this summer no matter what, so it was probably better to move him now and get something of value in return. I think this may help in the long run because who ever is here will hopefully get all the time in that Peters would have missed holding out. I don't think anyone can argue that Peters was not going to pull the same stunts he did last year, and everyone saw how that affected his play. Better to rid yourself of the problem than not.

With that said, I still wish Peters was here and that this situation could have been resolved. Unfortunatley that was not going to happen, so I'm glad the Bills pulled the trigger rather then just sitting on their hands and doing nothing.

Now this leads me to the draft. Personally, I'm always a fan of trading down and obtaining more picks. I think if someone offers a 4th for Parrish I'd be all over that. Anything above that and I think I hold on to him. If we can move Kelsay for a bag of footballs I'm for it. The guy is soaking up too much salary for little production. In all reality I think we should be able to net a mid round pick for him, and if that is the case I make the deal. Man, I'm starting to sound like Mitchell55 here, just kidding kid.

In terms of going back to trading down, I think Mark Sanchez plays a huge role in this. If he is still sitting there at 11 and I'm the Bills I'm trading that pick. Numerous teams will be calling to get ahead of the Redskins. I listen and take the best offer. I think it would be stupid to stay at 11 and make the pick, especially is someone offers an extra 2nd and say mid round pick. Make that move, we have too many holes on the offensive line, defensive line, linebacker, safety, and tight end to not accumulate as many picks as possible.

Finally, for the record and I know most will probably disagree, I would look to draft OT first, Center/Guard 1st and 2nd, TE 3rd and then DE/LB (this assumes no trade down and obtaining an extra 2nd). I rather stockpile picks for the offense and fix the line with a number of prospects. The reason I'd go this way is because as bad as Ellison, Kelsay/Denney and our FS situation is the defense did do enough last season to keep us in most games. At this point given the Peters situation I think we need to concentrate most of are early picks on fixing the offensive line. If not then despite having great recievers all will be for nothing since Trent will be in the hospital.

Hope this long disseration made some sense. I've been up and working for 20 hours.

jamze132
04-18-2009, 02:52 AM
I agree with pretty much everything you said. I don't think Peters would have ever lived up to that same contract in Buffalo. Hell, I don't think he will live up to it in Philly either.

Night Train
04-18-2009, 03:05 AM
Walker should stay at RT, where he's been steady. Throw Bell, Chambers & Jonathan Scott over at LT to battle it out.

Draft at least 2-3 players for the OL and don't reach for an OT. Guards & Centers are needed.

Take a year off from selecting the so called skill players. TE is not a high priority, with Owens now here. Maybe next year.

OL & the Front 7 on D. That's where the draft should be.

kernowboy
04-18-2009, 04:15 AM
Walker should stay at RT, where he's been steady. Throw Bell, Chambers & Jonathan Scott over at LT to battle it out.

Draft at least 2-3 players for the OL and don't reach for an OT. Guards & Centers are needed.

Take a year off from selecting the so called skill players. TE is not a high priority, with Owens now here. Maybe next year.

Draft this year at #28, someone like Beatty or Britton or with #42 Meredith or Cadogan.

Select Kraig Urbik in R4.

Pick up someone like Dan Gronkowski in R5 and he can definitely help the OL.
His younger brother Rob comes out in 2010 and could be our R1 pick then.

With McKinney and Hangartner a C can wait until 2010.

I would go:

R1 DE
R1 LT
R2 LE
R3 OLB
R4 OG
R5 TE
R6 DT
R7 OL

LifetimeBillsFan
04-18-2009, 05:28 AM
I keep Walker at RT.

I think the Bills drafted and are grooming Bell to be Peters' replacement at LT. The question is whether he will be ready to start there on Opening Day.

If so, I start Bell at LT. Chambers at LG.

Otherwise, I start Chambers at LT and work Bell in as the back-up OT until the bye-week and then let Bell take over for Chambers.

Unless A.Smith or M.Oher drops to # 11--and I don't think I would even do it for Smith--I do NOT use any of the picks in Rounds 1-3 for an OT. Why? No OT that you get other than the Top 5 is going to be ready to start this season at LT and the Bills have three OTs that can cover the position this season (Bell, Chambers, Walker). Might as well take an OT in the mid-to-late rounds and let him develop behind those three this season.

I would take a pass rusher at # 11 (or a LB, if all the pass rushers are gone--which I doubt). At # 28, I would take Mack, C, Cal or an OLB (depending on who is still on the board). Round 2: I would take an interior lineman (if OLB at # 28) or a TE. Round 3: I would take the BPA at whatever position of need has not been filled. I would consider trading back up into Round 3 for the right player, but would look to use the mid-to-late round picks to add another interior lineman, an OT, another TE (perhaps a converted BB player), a CB and a safety.

kernowboy
04-18-2009, 05:42 AM
I keep Walker at RT.

I think the Bills drafted and are grooming Bell to be Peters' replacement at LT. The question is whether he will be ready to start there on Opening Day.

If so, I start Bell at LT. Chambers at LG.

Otherwise, I start Chambers at LT and work Bell in as the back-up OT until the bye-week and then let Bell take over for Chambers.

Unless A.Smith or M.Oher drops to # 11--and I don't think I would even do it for Smith--I do NOT use any of the picks in Rounds 1-3 for an OT. Why? No OT that you get other than the Top 5 is going to be ready to start this season at LT and the Bills have three OTs that can cover the position this season (Bell, Chambers, Walker). Might as well take an OT in the mid-to-late rounds and let him develop behind those three this season.

I would take a pass rusher at # 11 (or a LB, if all the pass rushers are gone--which I doubt). At # 28, I would take Mack, C, Cal or an OLB (depending on who is still on the board). Round 2: I would take an interior lineman (if OLB at # 28) or a TE. Round 3: I would take the BPA at whatever position of need has not been filled. I would consider trading back up into Round 3 for the right player, but would look to use the mid-to-late round picks to add another interior lineman, an OT, another TE (perhaps a converted BB player), a CB and a safety.

I disagree about your assessment of the OT situation. If you look at Roos, Ugoh and McNeill all were drafted between #41 to #50, all started from Day1 and two have been pro bowlers.

I think that Bell could make a very interesting LG and with a new LT lock down our left side for the next decade. I am concerned with the ideal of Chambers being LG, so I would dip into free agency and pick up Pete Kendall for one final season or two spelling Kendall in every game.

We could start with a rookie LT alongside Kendall, with Walker on the right hand side, and Chambers as depth. Bell, because of the distance he's had to travel in experience, could easily sit behind Kendall and learn.

Whilst we could go another route and draft an OG, outside of Robinson I am not sure there are any starting LG in the draft and I prefer a big nasty roadgrader for the right handside with the prospect of Butler sliding outside when Walker's contract comes up.

Nighthawk
04-18-2009, 07:28 AM

I agree with this, but this draft is very deep at TE and you can get one in round 3 or round 4.

casdhf
04-18-2009, 07:59 AM
We need to draft 3 or 4 lineman and let them grow together ... the best lines in the NFL have played together for a few seasons, at least

Don't Panic
04-18-2009, 08:20 AM
I don't see Bell as being ready to start, although I fully admit that I have no idea and that he could be ready. I'm not sure about Chambers at LG either, and I really think that for at least next year, we need to have Walker at LT. We also may have to forget about a pass-catching TE as we will need all the help we can get protecting Trent's blindside. I think #28 would be perfect for a guy like Britton. He can step and start at RT on day one. That leaves #11 to focus on DE/OLB or to trade down, which is more sensible at this point.