PDA

View Full Version : The rebuild - Defense

snow1989
04-18-2009, 03:59 AM
Just thought I'd start a conversation concerning a rebuild of this team...decided to start with defense.

KEEPERS:

Butler : Pretty scary when one of the most reliable is a rookie, but he looked solid. (+11) I think he'll grow more into an offensive threat as he matures, might also become a better hitter if he adds some size, he got out-muscled at times.

Rivet: Solid but nothing spectacular. I expected more to be honest, especially offensively. Would like to see a bit more 'leadership' attitude on the ice, but he gobbles up minutes and is a workhorse. ( +4)

Spacek: Won't be a popular pick, but I'd keep him. Big shot from the point and seems to help keep the power play functioning. Needs to keep his game simple because he doesn't have the speed to make up for errors. (+4)

Lydman: Depends which Toni shows up *chuckle*, some nights he's solid and other nights he looks like he's lost, but frankly with whats left I guess he turns into a keeper (0)

Paetsch: Another unpopular one probably, but I keep him for the fact he can fill in on D and play up if desired. ( so I guess this would make him a defensive alternate) Might not be bad to have some flexibility with injuries. Showed some flashes of desire and hustle, but needs to make it a nightly affair. ( +3)

GONE:

Numminen: Age mostly and the fact he slowed down quite a bit. For all his years in the league you'd think he'd be the crafty veteran, but I just don't see it. (-4)

Tallinder: He's had a huge drop-off the last 2 years and seems to be regressing. I know he's a swede, but you'd think with his size he would chuck it around a bit...plays too soft for my liking. (-2)

Sekera: No doubt our fastest defenseman, but his eagerness to join the rush generally gets him in trouble (-11). If he's kept then I think he needs some time in portland to work on the defensive aspect of his game. I'm not sold on him by any means.

UNKNOWN:

Weber / Andre-Gragnani: Possibly one could be brought up if ready and might be a nice surprise like Butler. Beefing up is something they could both use ( do they feed AHL'ers? *chuckle*)

THE FIX:
Definitely this club needs to look at the free-agent market, and/or for a trade. With guys to spare at forward they could possibly package something and get it done if regier would pull the trigger. Personally, I think we need more muscle and a little nastier disposition back there, but even some speed with a nice first pass out of the zone would help.

Agree? Disagree? Your ideas?

Please keep in mind...I have no notion that I know everything or even anything...is merely my spin on things and generating something for the board....if this goes alright, we'll go to C's, RW's, LW's and see what the conversations generate.

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-18-2009, 08:35 AM
Lydman: signed until 09/10 - 3.15 salary - Lydman doesn't do anything spectacular, but he is a decent defenseman. He will be here until that contract is up.

Rivet: - signed until 10/11 - 3.5 salary. He is the team's best defenseman right now and is also the teams captain. I don't expect offensive numbers from Rivet, just tough hard nose play. He provides the some of the toughness the team needs. Stays, no question.

Tallinder - signed until 09/10 - 3.25 salary. I don't know what happened to Tallinder, he showed signs of being one of the top defenseman in the league at one point. I don't know if it is injuries and changing his play (or confidence) but he looked lost at times this year. I wouldn't mind them trading him and getting rid of that salary and let one of the young kids take a shot or go out and get someone else.

Paestch - signed until 09/10 - 1.05 salary. Paestch showed flashes of being a good defenseman, but couldn't crack the lineup for long stretches. I think the verdict is still out on him being a regular in the NHL, but you aren't getting anything for him in a trade right now that will help this team and his salary isn't much. He won't go anywhere until next year.

Sekera - RFA - His salary demands won't be much for his age and experience. Sekera is one of those risk/reward guys. He shows flashes of offensive flare and then shows weakness on defense. I am OK with them signing him for a few more years to see how he progresses. He is only like 23.

Butler - signed until 10/11 - highest salary in that time is 0.585. Butler came out of nowhere to show that he might have a big future in the NHL. Don't even bother thinking if he is going away because he is not.

-----

Spacek - UFA - I don't know if the team will be able to sign him again, but I wouldn't have a problem with it. The guy isn't spectacular but he is very solid. He plays a lot of minutes and plays at critical times in games. He would probably cost at least the 3 million he made during his last contract.

Numminen - UFA - It is time for Numminen to retire.
----
None of the young defensemen showed signs that they are ready for regular NHL duty.
Defense prospects (according to hockeys future):

Tyler Myers - Myers plans to continue with the WHL Kelowna Rockets next season, but with the effort the Sabres made in moving up to select him, they may look to progress him quickly through the system.
Mike Weber - probably close to contributing, but not regular.
Talent Analysis
A tough, defensive-minded player that can make the long pass out of his own zone. He has a hard shot and takes pride in finishing his checks. He has improved his offensive game to a respectable level, and did not look out of place in a scattering of NHL games last season.
Future
Weber is expected to spend a significant portion of the 2008-09 season in Buffalo (didn't happen), and will compete for a spot in the final defensive pairing. He has two seasons remaining on his entry-level contract.

TJ Brennan
Talent Analysis
Brennan is a very good athlete with size, but is still developing in the technical aspects of the game. He was an accomplished high school lacrosse player, and did not focus solely on hockey until 2006. Based on his background, he is a fluid skater, but still needs to improve moving in the close quarters of the defensive zone. He brings a hard shot and ability to pinch in on offense, allowing him to contribute on the power play. His talent, physical style of play, and willingness to learn make him a well-rounded prospect with a good amount of upside.
Future
He has thrived in the QMJHL, and should soon take the next step to the AHL. Likely still a year away from regular NHL action, he can put himself in line for a 2009-10 roster spot with a solid season in Portland.

Marc-Andre Gragnani
Talent Analysis
Gragnani is a well-rounded defenseman who plays with great tenacity. While he does not have one particular attribute that stands out, he is very capable and consistent. He is a solid passer, and plays with intelligence in the defensive zone. Though he is not an enforcer type, he is willing to sacrifice his body.
Future
After a very good season with former AHL affiliate Rochester, Gragnani is poised to take his game to the next level, but faces a logjam in Buffalo. He got a taste of the NHL in two games with the Sabres last year, and may be called up if the need arises.

--------------
My opinion or thoughts.

I would like the team to make a play for a couple defensemen and this is what I would like them to look at:

Jordan Leopold
Nick Boynton
Marc-Andre Bergeron

SabreEleven
04-18-2009, 11:05 AM
Sakera will NOT be gone. That is just crazy talk.

THATHURMANATOR
04-18-2009, 11:17 AM
Just thought I'd start a conversation concerning a rebuild of this team...decided to start with defense.

KEEPERS:

Butler : Pretty scary when one of the most reliable is a rookie, but he looked solid. (+11) I think he'll grow more into an offensive threat as he matures, might also become a better hitter if he adds some size, he got out-muscled at times.

Rivet: Solid but nothing spectacular. I expected more to be honest, especially offensively. Would like to see a bit more 'leadership' attitude on the ice, but he gobbles up minutes and is a workhorse. ( +4)

Spacek: Won't be a popular pick, but I'd keep him. Big shot from the point and seems to help keep the power play functioning. Needs to keep his game simple because he doesn't have the speed to make up for errors. (+4)

Lydman: Depends which Toni shows up *chuckle*, some nights he's solid and other nights he looks like he's lost, but frankly with whats left I guess he turns into a keeper (0)

Paetsch: Another unpopular one probably, but I keep him for the fact he can fill in on D and play up if desired. ( so I guess this would make him a defensive alternate) Might not be bad to have some flexibility with injuries. Showed some flashes of desire and hustle, but needs to make it a nightly affair. ( +3)

GONE:

Numminen: Age mostly and the fact he slowed down quite a bit. For all his years in the league you'd think he'd be the crafty veteran, but I just don't see it. (-4)

Tallinder: He's had a huge drop-off the last 2 years and seems to be regressing. I know he's a swede, but you'd think with his size he would chuck it around a bit...plays too soft for my liking. (-2)

Sekera: No doubt our fastest defenseman, but his eagerness to join the rush generally gets him in trouble (-11). If he's kept then I think he needs some time in portland to work on the defensive aspect of his game. I'm not sold on him by any means.

UNKNOWN:

Weber / Andre-Gragnani: Possibly one could be brought up if ready and might be a nice surprise like Butler. Beefing up is something they could both use ( do they feed AHL'ers? *chuckle*)

THE FIX:
Definitely this club needs to look at the free-agent market, and/or for a trade. With guys to spare at forward they could possibly package something and get it done if regier would pull the trigger. Personally, I think we need more muscle and a little nastier disposition back there, but even some speed with a nice first pass out of the zone would help.

Agree? Disagree? Your ideas?

Please keep in mind...I have no notion that I know everything or even anything...is merely my spin on things and generating something for the board....if this goes alright, we'll go to C's, RW's, LW's and see what the conversations generate.
Good run down. Only player I differ on is Sekera. He isn't going anywhere.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
04-18-2009, 11:30 AM
Butler Rivet
Sekera Lydman
Weber Paetsch/Grags

Spacek is good as gone he's an UFA, Tallinder might be traded

snow1989
04-18-2009, 11:34 AM
Good run down. Only player I differ on is Sekera. He isn't going anywhere.

Well thats why I said some portland time...agreed he shows flashes of offensive firepower, but his eagerness to join the fray puts him out of position too much I think. Perhaps just some time down there working on defensive basics might help.

SabreEleven
04-18-2009, 12:43 PM
Why was he up with the Sabres for a majority of the year if he needs Portland time?

Dr. Lecter
04-18-2009, 04:33 PM
Sekera can't go down anymore. He has played too many games.

I would not be shocked to see Myers in Buffalo next year. He can't play in Portland yet (too young) and the Juniors might not help him develop.

tampabay25690
04-18-2009, 07:51 PM
Sekera is going NOWHERE.

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-18-2009, 11:28 PM
Anyone else want to mention that Sekera isn't going anywhere?

bigbub2352
04-19-2009, 12:10 AM
I hate to say it
but i cant stand our D

Rivet, Butler, Spacek are about all we got

Spacek can be replaced especially at his salary

but seriously Lydman, Tallinder, Teppo, Paetsch, and Sekera are all replaceable
Sekera is young but soft and gets caught to much out of position and is pushed around plays very passive
Teppo is horrible and gets pushed around
Tallinder makes to many mistakes and get pushed around
lydman makes way to many mistakes, but plays somewhat physical
Paetsch gets pushed around
None of them are aggressive all of them hesitate to stick up for teamates and goaltender
I think we would be better served with Weber and a couple of solid physical DMan in free agency

kernowboy
04-19-2009, 04:08 AM
Considering Spacek age, I wonder if we will makes a serious effort to sign him.

I see Sekera and Weber as a decent pairing, and I see Rivet lining up alongside Butler on a line.

We need some physical play on the defence so we'll retain Lydman. However I would not be surprised if we go Defence in R1 and that guy might make it straight out of training camp especially if we look to beef up the forwards in free agency.

I think we need help on the Right Wing and I hope the money is firstly spent there. Marian Gaborik is the big name UFA, but Jason Williams could be decent pick up or maybe we can trade Tallinder for some help here.

We've lost Kotalik and Afingonev here and we didn't have too much depth in the minors to start with.

SabreEleven
04-19-2009, 10:13 AM
Sekera will be a Buffalo Sabres next year.

Dr. Lecter
04-19-2009, 09:39 PM
Sekera is no worse at his age than Campbell was at the same age.

I am not saying he will end up being Brian Campbell, but he is still quite young. Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water.

JD
04-19-2009, 11:17 PM
Tallinder needs to go

Numminen needs to retire

We need some heavy hitters and net clearers.

SabreEleven
04-20-2009, 12:18 AM
Tallinder needs to go

Numminen needs to retire

We need some heavy hitters and net clearers.

thanks, Capt Obvious.

snow1989
04-20-2009, 10:09 AM
Why was he up with the Sabres for a majority of the year if he needs Portland time?

Maybe because there were no better options, I don't know....but from what I saw this year he isn't ready. *shrug* And your right, he probably will be a sabre next year, unless he's thrown in with a package deal which is something I wouldn't be against.