PDA

View Full Version : Jags close to signing Torry Holt; could affect #8 pick

Coach Sal
04-18-2009, 05:28 PM
Not that Mort is the most trustworthy source these days, but if this happens, the Jags - who could have been eying Crabtree or Maclin if they fell - may then choose to go in a completely different direction.

The Jacksonville Jaguars are nearing a deal for free agent wide receiver Torry Holt, but it has not yet been finalized, sources tell ESPN's Chris Mortensen.

Holt was released by the St. Louis Rams on March 13 shortly before he was due a $1.25 million roster bonus on the 17th.

Holt, a seven-time Pro Bowl selection, ranks 11th on the league's all-time reception list with 869 catches.

The 10-year veteran caught just 64 passes last year for 796 yards and three touchdowns, the fewest scoring catches of his career. His total receptions and total yards were the second-lowest of his career, ahead of only his rookie season of 1999.

The Jaguars are in need of a veteran receiver. The team released troubled receiver Matt Jones last month after he violated a plea agreement from an earlier drug charge. They also released Jerry Porter and didn't re-sign free agent Reggie Williams.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4079600

Luisito23
04-18-2009, 05:32 PM
Sadly though I think the Bills are dumb enough to pass on Crabtree even if he was still on the board.

Dr. Pepper
04-18-2009, 05:35 PM
well we dont want to be the Detroit Lions... if Crabtree is still available trade down with a team who is desperate for a top wideout.

Midwesternbillsfan
04-18-2009, 05:36 PM
Yeah, this may tilt Raji here over either Crabtree or Maclin, if they're still available at this juncture. Speaking of the Jaguars, they factually want out of the top-ten but may see who's available to decide to (and obviously, if there's a trading partner). Well, I believe that the Bills may be one (or become one). Andre Smith is allegedly the top tackle on the Bills' board (Modrak doesn't believe the tape lies; that's his axiom), and if Smith gets past the Bengals at 6 and the Raiders at 7, I think the Bills offer #11 and #75 to swap spots and nab the Alabama OT at 8. JMO (mostly), but I believe the Bills, while unwilling to pay top-five money for a rookie, will pay the 8th overall pick (they paid Whitner three years ago). And I believe that the Bills desire Smith enough to not want to risk the Packers or 49ers taking him before our 11th pick is up. Buffalo would not have to relinquish their two other day 1 picks- #28 and #42- and would still own both 4th-round selections.

Anyway, just don't dismiss the idea of Buffalo trading up to Jax's spot for Smith, though admittedly it's contingent on Cincinnati and Oakland going in other directions first.

Goobylal
04-18-2009, 05:47 PM
Just because the Jags may sign Holt, who is aging rapidly, it doesn't mean that they won't draft Crabtree or Maclin. Holt won't play for more than another year or two, and the Jags have no WR's, period. I mean, Matt Jones, who they released, was their top pass-catcher at 65 catches for 761 yards and 2 TD's. Their #2 pass receiver was Jones-Drew.

Philagape
04-18-2009, 05:51 PM
Why would they pass on a potential franchise WR in the draft because they sign a 33-year-old has-been with bad knees?

BADTHINGSMAN
04-18-2009, 05:54 PM
Holt seems like a good guy for Crabtree/Maclin to learn from.

Mitchell55
04-18-2009, 06:39 PM
Im surprised no one has noticed that the rumor of Jacksonville trying to trade away one of there highest paid players has happened the same day as Jacksonville gets Holt. This may be one of the reasons for trading Henderson.

The Jokeman
04-18-2009, 06:49 PM
Not that Mort is the most trustworthy source these days, but if this happens, the Jags - who could have been eying Crabtree or Maclin if they fell - may then choose to go in a completely different direction.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4079600
That direction could be a left OT since they lost Khalif Barnes in free agency and let's not forget they lost their primary backup OT a year ago when he lost his leg in some horrific accident. Hopefully not though because I'd be really pissed if we traded Peters aren't able to land Oher, who I really want now. Of course if they do trade Henderson one would think that Raji be a guy they'd focus on.

BillsWin
04-18-2009, 07:10 PM
I wouldnt be surprised if that helps us get Henderson. They could plan to take Raji at 8 to replace him and we could get a good deal for him.