PDA

View Full Version : NFL Scout's take on Peters and trade.

Nighthawk
04-18-2009, 10:48 PM
This is exactly what most on here have stated...he has the potential, but doesn't seem motivated all the time. IMO, he'll be even less motivated now with all the money in the bank account.

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/99614-scout-questions-new-eagle-peters

jamze132
04-19-2009, 12:47 AM
I don't think he will ever live up to that contract. He probably will this year but after that, the same ole JP will come out.

Ickybaluky
04-19-2009, 05:51 AM
There is no doubt Peters play was down last year. He held out and wasn't prepared to play.

However, prior to that the arrow was all up on the guy. After the 2007 season he was the best young LT in the NFL, despite only being 26 and being new to the position. That potential is still there. With his contract squabble out of the way, why wouldn't Peters go back to the steady rise he had prior to it? The guy is going to be dominant in Philly, who has the makings of quite an OL if they stay healthy. He changed the balance of power in the NFC East, IMO.

If Peters were thrown into the current draft, I'd guarantee he would go in the top 5 and think he would probably be the #1 overall pick. It isn't like the Bills wanted to trade the guy, they tried to keep him. They just reached a point were it wouldn't work and moved on. You can try to assign blame for that, but at the end of the day it didn't work out. Sometimes that happens (it happened to the Pats with Deion Branch).

However, you can't say the Bills wanted to get rid of him. On the contrary, the Bills preferred to keep him. If he is the overrated bum some of you are saying, why didn't they get rid of him before?

I saw this same scenario play out in the early '80's with Mike Haynes. Haynes was one of the best CB in the NFL, but was disgruntled with Patriots management and held out. In the end, they decided to cut bait and traded him to the Raiders for a 1 and a 2. He teamed with Lester Hayes to give the Raiders the best CB tandem in the NFL (and one of the best ever).

It never works when you trade a guy that talented.

kernowboy
04-19-2009, 06:35 AM
There is no doubt Peters play was down last year. He held out and wasn't prepared to play.

However, prior to that the arrow was all up on the guy. After the 2007 season he was the best young LT in the NFL, despite only being 26 and being new to the position. That potential is still there. With his contract squabble out of the way, why wouldn't Peters go back to the steady rise he had prior to it? The guy is going to be dominant in Philly, who has the makings of quite an OL if they stay healthy. He changed the balance of power in the NFC East, IMO.

If Peters were thrown into the current draft, I'd guarantee he would go in the top 5 and think he would probably be the #1 overall pick. It isn't like the Bills wanted to trade the guy, they tried to keep him. They just reached a point were it wouldn't work and moved on. You can try to assign blame for that, but at the end of the day it didn't work out. Sometimes that happens (it happened to the Pats with Deion Branch).

However, you can't say the Bills wanted to get rid of him. On the contrary, the Bills preferred to keep him. If he is the overrated bum some of you are saying, why didn't they get rid of him before?

I saw this same scenario play out in the early '80's with Mike Haynes. Haynes was one of the best CB in the NFL, but was disgruntled with Patriots management and held out. In the end, they decided to cut bait and traded him to the Raiders for a 1 and a 2. He teamed with Lester Hayes to give the Raiders the best CB tandem in the NFL (and one of the best ever).

It never works when you trade a guy that talented.

The question has to be about Peters work ethic and motivation.

With the great Bruce Smith, he seemed to hold out every training camp, but come Sunday, the man turned up in top shape and was a beast. A similar attribute can be said of Terrell Owens, and when you are a headache but have talent and are prepared to work hard even when you have greviances, you will be forgiven a lot.

Missing training camp, pre-season and then turning up a disinterested slob demanding outrageous money and showing no willing to compromise and you will be shown out the door, to a team will to accept the risk.

Peters might return to his former level, but he might continue to regress as he seems injury prone and could become Jonas Jennings Mk2. For a small sized market like Buffalo, it is too risky to tie that much money up.

don137
04-19-2009, 07:01 AM
I agree that at the end of the 2007 season all Bills fans were estatic about Peters being the cornerstone of the Bills OL for the next 5-10 years. After the holdout and playing so inconsistant many fans soured on him and forgot how good he really can play. Personally, I will never like the guy as a person. I think the Bills treated him with with nothing but class but he turned his back to them. I think he will return to 2007 form and have a great career in Philly however like many Bills fans I hope he plays like he did in 2008.

Jan Reimers
04-19-2009, 07:15 AM
I'm glad Peters is gone. He's a good player, but I don't like his motivation, work ethic or attitude. He was a major distraction, which is the last thing a struggling team needs. He is not the only good LT in football. He can be replaced.