PDA

View Full Version : Jared Cook visits B-LO

SeatownBillsFan21
04-19-2009, 01:19 AM
Sheil Kapadia, of Philly.com, reports South Carolina TE Jared Cook said he has visited with the Buffalo Bills at an unspecified time.

BillsWin
04-19-2009, 01:43 AM
Because he will be a Bill next season. And I love it.

Mitchell55
04-19-2009, 01:50 AM
Good, I love him

SeatownBillsFan21
04-19-2009, 01:53 AM
Me too. Over Pettigrew though ???

kernowboy
04-19-2009, 01:55 AM
He can't block his way out of a wet paper bag.

A number are wondering if he is a combine wonder as his performance during the season was average considering the offence he was playing in.

I want us to draft someone who delivers on the field, not in the weight room.

Another guy who has visited us is Dan Gronkowski of Maryland. He's bigger, stronger, also had a good combine, but had a breakout senior season as a receiver having primarily been considered a blocker. He had as many TDs as Cook in his senior season.

Mitchell55
04-19-2009, 01:57 AM
Blocking can be taught. Natural recieving skills and athleticism cant. He has the 2nd.

kernowboy
04-19-2009, 02:06 AM
Blocking can be taught. Natural recieving skills and athleticism cant. He has the 2nd.

of course receiving skills can be taught. Blocking is a mental mindset.

Cook is a post season combine wonder. He will only be an average pro and the team would be better off waiting to grab either Gresham or Rob Gronkowski in 2010.

jimbohastle51
04-19-2009, 02:10 AM
he is nothing more than a situational TE and honestly if you do your homework alot of scouts think he should just suck some weight and go back to reciever.

Mitchell55
04-19-2009, 02:13 AM
of course receiving skills can be taught. Blocking is a mental mindset.

Cook is a post season combine wonder. He will only be an average pro and the team would be better off waiting to grab either Gresham or Rob Gronkowski in 2010.

When I said natural I mean skills to get open and his athleticism. He might of been a combine wonder but it doesnt matter, he was projected as a 2nd rounder before and after. Combine did nothing but reinforce it.

kernowboy
04-19-2009, 02:17 AM
When I said natural I mean skills to get open and his athleticism. He might of been a combine wonder but it doesnt matter, he was projected as a 2nd rounder before and after. Combine did nothing but reinforce it.

Of course it f***ing matters !!

We need to draft someone who can properly contribute, not a luxury player. Combine wonders tend to be average pros. He did nothing at the combine that scouts didn't already suspect.

Mitchell55
04-19-2009, 02:20 AM
Of course it f***ing matters !!

We need to draft someone who can properly contribute, not a luxury player. Combine wonders tend to be average pros. He did nothing at the combine that scouts didn't already suspect.

You said all he is is a post season combine wonder. I responded by saying the fact that he did good at the combine did nothing to reinforce where he is at.

jimbohastle51
04-19-2009, 02:21 AM
seriously at this point, all the Front Offices have done there homework and relize that after pettigrew (who is a late first round pick at best ) there is something wrong with all the rest of the TE prospects and the bills know that they can have scheffler for peanuts. i really think scheffler is our TE and by draft day if not before, he will be traded for and there will be no more questions over who the starting TE for the buffalo bills is for the next 5 years.

jimbohastle51
04-19-2009, 02:24 AM
You said all he is is a post season combine wonder. I responded by saying the fact that he did good at the combine did nothing to reinforce where he is at.

he did have good combine numbers but his biggest problem is that A) he is not going to go over the middle and catch a ball knowing he is going to take a monster hit (something a TE is required to do at the NFL level) B) he is not now or ever going to be a good enough blocker to even merrit a down of potential pass blocking, which means he cant even be left on the field in a running situation, or a situation that may call for an audible to from a pass to a run.

tampabay25690
04-19-2009, 08:11 AM
#11 in the 2nd round would be solid.
Im telling everyone if Cornelius Ingram TE from Florida is available take this guy....
HE may be the best Te in this draft but coming off injury. He can fly, and he is a great athlete..

Lone Stranger
04-19-2009, 08:16 AM
My concern with Cook is that he may be a workout warrior ala Vernon Davis. There are too many other possibiities than to take Cook.

Mahdi
04-19-2009, 08:28 AM
he did have good combine numbers but his biggest problem is that A) he is not going to go over the middle and catch a ball knowing he is going to take a monster hit (something a TE is required to do at the NFL level) B) he is not now or ever going to be a good enough blocker to even merrit a down of potential pass blocking, which means he cant even be left on the field in a running situation, or a situation that may call for an audible to from a pass to a run.
There is a lot of absolutes in that statement that you dont know about.

a) He's a TE im sure he goes over the middle

b) He has great size and great strength. Any team who selects him will get him to block. You think he is the first TE to come out with questionable blocking? Happens every year and those players eventually get the blocking part down.

c) If you want a playmaker at the TE position for the first time in 20 years you have to select one and deal with his blocking later. If you want a blocker. Select a blocker.

d) Vernon Davis plays with a crap QB in a crap offense. And for the record is one of the best blocking TEs in the NFL.

acehole
04-19-2009, 08:48 AM
I like him as a prospect,....i think our 2 is to high and our 3 is to low.

There is a lot of absolutes in that statement that you dont know about.

a) He's a TE im sure he goes over the middle

b) He has great size and great strength. Any team who selects him will get him to block. You think he is the first TE to come out with questionable blocking? Happens every year and those players eventually get the blocking part down.

c) If you want a playmaker at the TE position for the first time in 20 years you have to select one and deal with his blocking later. If you want a blocker. Select a blocker.

d) Vernon Davis plays with a crap QB in a crap offense. And for the record is one of the best blocking TEs in the NFL.

kernowboy
04-19-2009, 08:56 AM
Personally I'm more interested in swapping our No11 for the Broncos No18 and getting Tony Scheffler TE as part of the deal.

If the draft comes to us, then we could grab Everette Brown DE at No18 in much the same way as it worked for us in 2001 when we traded down for Nate Clements.

We could then spend No28 and No42 on a LB and OL or visaversa and will have got ourselves a DE, TE, LB and OL with 3 picks :)

HHURRICANE
04-19-2009, 09:06 AM
The Bills are taking Cook.

As I stated yesterday Carucci was as definate as I've ever heard him about the Bills not taking Pettigew. The Bills have Cook higher on thier board and even though Peerigrew has tremendous blocking skills Cook is the pick.

HHURRICANE
04-19-2009, 09:06 AM
Personally I'm more interested in swapping our No11 for the Broncos No18 and getting Tony Scheffler TE as part of the deal.

If the draft comes to us, then we could grab Everette Brown DE at No18 in much the same way as it worked for us in 2001 when we traded down for Nate Clements.

We could then spend No28 and No42 on a LB and OL or visaversa and will have got ourselves a DE, TE, LB and OL with 3 picks :)

I love this scenario. But if Oher s still vailable at #11 he will be a Bill.

kernowboy
04-19-2009, 09:12 AM

I'm not so sure. I think the Bills like the Top8 tackles and have indicated that the depth of the OT class was one of the reasons why they traded Peters. I think they'd be happy with any of them including Meredith, and also Cadogan who they have spoken to.

Some have fallen in love with Oher but others have pointed out his pass protection is shaky.

I'm certain they have spotted the need to take down the opposition QB which is why I think Ayers is off their radar.

People have also forgotten the need to replace Ellison.

If they drafted

# 18 Brown
# 28 Laurinitias
# 42 Cadogan

and signed Scheffler plus maybe picking up Kendall for a season or two, thats our 5 main areas of concern addressed.

acehole
04-19-2009, 09:13 AM

Seems like a desparate move to me.....Oher will be an average player in the NFL...not really a building block player IMHO.

I think we use the 28 pick on the best OT on the board RT or LT....

Nighthawk
04-19-2009, 09:17 AM
He can't block his way out of a wet paper bag.

A number are wondering if he is a combine wonder as his performance during the season was average considering the offence he was playing in.

I want us to draft someone who delivers on the field, not in the weight room.

Another guy who has visited us is Dan Gronkowski of Maryland. He's bigger, stronger, also had a good combine, but had a breakout senior season as a receiver having primarily been considered a blocker. He had as many TDs as Cook in his senior season.

How many times does it need to be said...WE DON'T NEED ANOTHER BLOCKING TE! This team needs a guy who can make plays catching the ball and stretching the middle of the field. I am so tired of hearing people talk about blocking TE...just say no to Pettigrew and Gronkowski (who is a joke).

kernowboy
04-19-2009, 09:32 AM
How many times does it need to be said...WE DON'T NEED ANOTHER BLOCKING TE! This team needs a guy who can make plays catching the ball and stretching the middle of the field. I am so tired of hearing people talk about blocking TE...just say no to Pettigrew and Gronkowski (who is a joke).

Maybe you should read this

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d80fabea2&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

A decent tight end needs to do both, not just be an oversized WR

And why is Gronkowski a joke? He had a very good senior season. He has the bloodlines. He had an excellent combine. He is freakishly strong unlike Cook who is soft and has overproduced compared to his natural gifts unlike Cook who has underproduced. Hell they had the same number of TDs in their senior seasons.

Considering our OL will be in transition, a TE who can block might be vital to Edwards health.

Nighthawk
04-19-2009, 10:31 AM

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d80fabea2&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

And why is Gronkowski a joke? He had a very good senior season. He has the bloodlines. He had an excellent combine. He is freakishly strong unlike Cook who is soft and has overproduced compared to his natural gifts unlike Cook who has underproduced. Hell they had the same number of TDs in their senior seasons.

Considering our OL will be in transition, a TE who can block might be vital to Edwards health.

Trust me, he's (Pettigrew) a blocking TE and we don't need that. I'll take a guy who is playmaker at TE and teach him to block over a guy who is a blocking TE first...ANY DAY OF THE WEEK. Gronkowski is not that good...that's why he is a joke.

kernowboy
04-19-2009, 10:38 AM
I don't want Pettigrew. But neither do I want the soft underperforming Cook.

Mahdi
04-19-2009, 11:07 AM

IMO having a TE who is a dangerous receiver is just as good for the run game as a TE who can block. When Gates is on the LOS the linebacker cant key into the run without getting burned by Gates.

Defenses have to make a choice personnel wise when there is an athletic receiving TE on the field.

Do you put a LB on him and worry about the run, or do you put a safety on him who can match up with his athleticism and sacrifice being stout against the run.

If I was a DC I would have a much more difficult time deciding how to deal with a TE who causes a match up problem then a TE who is primarily a blocker but will not create that passing game mismatch.

Bmax
04-19-2009, 11:26 AM
Cook can stretch the field ...Down the middle to open up the outside routes for Evans and T.O.....You need players who can make player one on one . With Cook's speed the Bills would finally have a weapon at the TE position.

The local kid from Maryland is a solid player but he is not a starting TE in this league. 2nd TE at best..We have Fine who is a decent blocker..Plus who says you can't find a blocking guy later in the draft or FA afterwards . They are alot easier to find then playmaking TE's in this league...

Bmax

Bmax
04-19-2009, 11:28 AM

I watched a lot South Carolina's games this kid can play ..

There is noting soft about him either....He is worth the 28th or 42 pick in this years draft...

Bmax

yordad
04-19-2009, 11:36 AM
I think the Bills take Dan Gronkowski of Maryland in the third (even though he could likely be had in the 4th). I like the sound of Cornelius Ingram in the third more though.

But, I wouldn't be all too made if they grabbed Cook in the second. Almost every mock has the Bills grabbing him there too. Before the O-line broke all loose, I was all for it, but now it is wait and see for me.

kernowboy
04-19-2009, 11:48 AM
I'd take him with the 2nd of our 4th rounders. I am concerned about Ingram's injuries.

TedMock
04-19-2009, 12:16 PM
I think the Bills take Dan Gronkowski of Maryland in the third (even though he could likely be had in the 4th). I like the sound of Cornelius Ingram in the third more though.

But, I wouldn't be all too made if they grabbed Cook in the second. Almost every mock has the Bills grabbing him there too. Before the O-line broke all loose, I was all for it, but now it is wait and see for me.

I like Dan Gronkowski, but not before the 4th round - and I've been a Maryland season ticket holder for several years. He's a good blocker, but not a big receiving threat. He sat behind Vernon Davis then Joey Haynos. He finally started last year and had 29 grabs for 287 yards and 3 TD's. He's very strong at the point of attack, but not a big receiving threat. Haynos was a better receiver and a solid blocker. Vernon Davis was awesome at both. Davis had 51 catches for 871 and 6 TD's his senior year and 32 knock-down blocks - 18 coming in the open field. He's been a disappointment in the pros, but he was certainly all that in college. Gronkowski does block with good power off the line and I would like him in the 5th or so. He's scary in the 3rd to me. Of course I would be excited to see a fellow Terp playing for his hometown Bills. He won't be the vertical threat that Cook may end up being though.

HHURRICANE
04-19-2009, 03:06 PM
I'm not so sure. I think the Bills like the Top8 tackles and have indicated that the depth of the OT class was one of the reasons why they traded Peters. I think they'd be happy with any of them including Meredith, and also Cadogan who they have spoken to.

Some have fallen in love with Oher but others have pointed out his pass protection is shaky.

I'm certain they have spotted the need to take down the opposition QB which is why I think Ayers is off their radar.

People have also forgotten the need to replace Ellison.

If they drafted

# 18 Brown
# 28 Laurinitias
# 42 Cadogan

and signed Scheffler plus maybe picking up Kendall for a season or two, thats our 5 main areas of concern addressed.

I might live with this scenario. I'd have to think about it. Heard brown's knees might be screwed up.

Just for the record we are not taking Pettigrew and Nighthawk is right in line with the Bills that they want a TE who can stretch the field.

X-Era
04-19-2009, 03:09 PM
Sheil Kapadia, of Philly.com, reports South Carolina TE Jared Cook said he has visited with the Buffalo Bills at an unspecified time.

Hes my #2 TE in this years draft and has been for months.

Hes a great looking pass catching prospect

HHURRICANE
04-19-2009, 03:28 PM
Because he will be a Bill next season. And I love it.

Are you the guy that works at ESPN? I'd love to know what the prevailing thought is on the Peter's trade. Everything on Sirrius is that we gave away a great player for a big hole on our line and not much value. Consensus was that it's a small market team move.

X-Era
04-19-2009, 03:32 PM

He led the team in receiving yards per reception last year, and was 2nd in receiving yards but hes an underperformer?

BillsWin
04-19-2009, 03:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRCiY1Icw8k&feature=related

I want a tight end who can split the defense. We haven't had that in years. I LOVE Pettigrew. In fact, I know him personally. I would love nothing better than to have him on our team. fact is he won't drop past Atlanta to #28 and won't be available at 42 either. Cook will be, and he CAN stretch the field. I want that. I think every Bills fan wants that. We cant have enough weapons on the field.

Yasgur's Farm
04-19-2009, 03:46 PM
Another guy who has visited us is Dan Gronkowski of Maryland. He's bigger, stronger, also had a good combine, but had a breakout senior season as a receiver having primarily been considered a blocker. He had as many TDs as Cook in his senior season.And he went to HS at Williamsville

kernowboy
04-19-2009, 04:25 PM
I'd be happy to get Tony Scheffler and draft Dan Gronkowski. Scheffler will give us a year of solid production.

In 2010, I would look to draft either Jermaine Gresham, or Rob Gronkowski, Dan's younger brother from Arizona. Both of them all multi-talented all round Tight Ends and both would go before Pettigrew if they were in this years draft.

Compared to Cook, Gresham had 58rec for 888yds and 12TDs, while the younger Gronkoswki pulled in 47rec for 672yds and 10TDs despite missing 3 games

I think we have greater needs than a TE on Day1 this year unless we can snag Scheffler in a draft pick switch

HHURRICANE
04-19-2009, 04:28 PM
I'd be happy to get Tony Scheffler and draft Dan Gronkowski. Scheffler will give us a year of solid production.

In 2010, I would look to draft either Jermaine Gresham, or Rob Gronkowski, Dan's younger brother from Arizona. Both of them all multi-talented all round Tight Ends and both would go before Pettigrew if they were in this years draft.

Compared to Cook, Gresham had 58rec for 888yds and 12TDs, while the younger Gronkoswki pulled in 47rec for 672yds and 10TDs despite missing 3 games

I think we have greater needs than a TE on Day1 this year unless we can snag Scheffler in a draft pick switch

Why does Sheffler give us 1 year?

kernowboy
04-19-2009, 04:38 PM
Why does Sheffler give us 1 year?

I think he signed the standard 3 year rookie deal coming out of the draft. I haven't heard he's been extended so he's either a RFA or a UFA at the end of the 2009 season.

I would be keen to extend this contract until we can see what he can do here - we can either choose to offer him a new deal or if not, we can potentially upgrade in the 2010 draft.

Nighthawk
04-19-2009, 04:55 PM
Are you the guy that works at ESPN? I'd love to know what the prevailing thought is on the Peter's trade. Everything on Sirrius is that we gave away a great player for a big hole on our line and not much value. Consensus was that it's a small market team move.

Wow, I have Sirius and that's not what I've heard. Hmmm, maybe your Sirius is different then mine?

WeAreArthurMoates
04-19-2009, 05:21 PM
Wow, I have Sirius and that's not what I've heard. Hmmm, maybe your Sirius is different then mine?

Seriously, Marvez and Tucker totally agree with the trade, Tucker says while Peters is the most athletic guy he's every played with it's not really translated to the field.

Nighthawk
04-19-2009, 06:13 PM
Seriously, Marvez and Tucker totally agree with the trade, Tucker says while Peters is the most athletic guy he's every played with it's not really translated to the field.

I know, HH is just upset about the trade and he's trying to make it seem like everybody feels the same way as he does, but there are a lot of NFL people who think the Bills did the right thing and got good value.

X-Era
04-19-2009, 06:30 PM
I know, HH is just upset about the trade and he's trying to make it seem like everybody feels the same way as he does, but there are a lot of NFL people who think the Bills did the right thing and got good value.

Im not a fan of this trade either.

I will look forward, not back, and hope that we can somehow be better in the near future and thats possible.

But, this team, winning moregames than last year is on life support at this point.

Its my honest belief that there is very little chance of that happening now. Im worried about Trent being able to survive even the first Pats game of the season if he makes out of pre-season alive.

Can anyone honestly tell me they wont cringe every time he drops back?

kernowboy
04-19-2009, 06:35 PM

I will look forward, not back, and hope that we can somehow be better in the near future and thats possible.

But, this team, winning moregames than last year is on life support at this point.

Its my honest belief that there is very little chance of that happening now. Im worried about Trent being able to survive even the first Pats game of the season if he makes out of pre-season alive.

For years the Broncos were able to put out an unheralded line that kept their QB safe.

The Steelers won it all, with a right tackle playing on the left. For me if we given Edwards the weapons he won't have to hang on to the ball too long

Nighthawk
04-19-2009, 06:35 PM

If you seriously think that trading Peters is the reason we won't be successful then I'd have to question you. This team, IMO, was going to struggle to be successful even if he was here. They have a coach who doesn't know what he is doing, so winning on Sundays will always be a chore until this guy is gone. The moves that have been made so far by the Bills are not bad ones, but you add them up with keeping Jauron and it probably equals another losing season. However, I'm not going to complain until I see what they do next weekend...doing anything otherwise is shortsighted on anybody's behalf.

X-Era
04-20-2009, 06:01 AM
If you seriously think that trading Peters is the reason we won't be successful then I'd have to question you. This team, IMO, was going to struggle to be successful even if he was here. They have a coach who doesn't know what he is doing, so winning on Sundays will always be a chore until this guy is gone. The moves that have been made so far by the Bills are not bad ones, but you add them up with keeping Jauron and it probably equals another losing season. However, I'm not going to complain until I see what they do next weekend...doing anything otherwise is shortsighted on anybody's behalf.
I know how you feel about coaching... its well documented. But I never said Peters was the only reason we look to be worse than last year. You simply cant fill that many starting positions with rookies and expect even half of them to play solid from day one.

How many of last years rookies played even solid? One... McKelvin and even thats questionable considering he didnt really start playing solid until later in the year.

But now we should expect LT, LG, TE, and OLB to all be manned by rookies and all to play as good or better than last year? Hell no. That says nothing about trying to also get a new high quality pass rusher. At best we manage to successfully shift Walker to the left and start Chambers or Bell at RT, then we reduce our need for a starter to the LG spot. But even then your talking about an entirely new OL with the exception of Butler. There is simply no way that we can expect solid play in week one from a whole new lineup made up of at least one rookie.

I think you may be undervaluing talent and overvaluing coaching.

kernowboy
04-20-2009, 06:24 AM
I know how you feel about coaching... its well documented. But I never said Peters was the only reason we look to be worse than last year. You simply cant fill that many starting positions with rookies and expect even half of them to play solid from day one.

How many of last years rookies played even solid? One... McKelvin and even thats questionable considering he didnt really start playing solid until later in the year.

But now we should expect LT, LG, TE, and OLB to all be manned by rookies and all to play as good or better than last year? Hell no. That says nothing about trying to also get a new high quality pass rusher. At best we manage to successfully shift Walker to the left and start Chambers or Bell at RT, then we reduce our need for a starter to the LG spot. But even then your talking about an entirely new OL with the exception of Butler. There is simply no way that we can expect solid play in week one from a whole new lineup made up of at least one rookie.

I think you may be undervaluing talent and overvaluing coaching.

Well the rookies couldn't be worse than the allegedly seasoned professionals.

Are you saying that someone like Laurinaitis wouldn't be better than Ellison, or a rookie wouldn't be better than Royal?

As for the OL, I think we'll only see one rookie and if McKinney doesn't come it at LG, then we'll sign someone who has been cut, or maybe pick up one of the few remaining free agents at LG. They will not be as poor as Dockery.

At LT, if it was the Peters of 2007 then yes the line will be worse. If however it is the Peters of 2008 then it cannot help to be better - a better centre, a better LG, and a OT who is not thinking about his contract but the DE/OLB he is supposed to be protecting the QB from.