PDA

View Full Version : Positive Article on Peters Trade

TheMan08
04-19-2009, 01:21 AM
http://walterfootball.com/jasonpeterstrade.php

don't like this trade at all for Philadelphia; the team would have been better served trading up for Michael Oher or William Beatty, or simply sliding Todd Herremans over to left tackle. As mentioned, Peters gave up 11.5 sacks in 2008. Newly acquired right tackle Stacy Andrews, coming off knee surgery, allowed 9.5 sacks last season.

Either the Eagles missed the 2008 season entirely, or are trying their hardest to get Donovan McNabb injured so the highly anticipated Kevin Kolb era can commence as quickly as possible. On the bright side, they'll probably serve McNabb some Chunky Soup while he's lying in bed at the hospital.

From Buffalo's perspective, the deal was a lucrative one. The organization avoided overpaying for one of the NFL's most overrated players. The Bills can take Oher or Andre Smith at No. 11 overall (trading up to No. 9 for one of them is also an option). They'll be able to spend the No. 28 selection on a much-needed pass-rusher, such as Larry English or Michael Johnson. And now, they'll be free to spend their second-round choice on the best tight end or linebacker available. They also get a fourth-rounder and a conditional 2010 pick.

Seems like a fair trade for the Bills. The only downside to the deal is that their fans will have one less Pro Bowler to root for. Not that anyone watches that stupid game anyway.

SeatownBillsFan21
04-19-2009, 01:45 AM
At 1st I was a bit upset with the trade like most i thought we would have gotten there 21st pick but ended up with the 28 and some change i think we can still get plenty of value at 28.I think buffalo put the money up for him Peters but plan and simple he did not want to play in Buffalo anymore and the FO gave him his wish it will be interesting to see what the FO will do with the picks im hoping we dont screw it up the Fans dont deserve it. i cant endure another 7-9 season although i will tolerate a 8-8 one.

LifetimeBillsFan
04-19-2009, 03:13 AM
I was only able to read the first three pages of the comments on the article, but was surprised at how many did not blast the Bills or thought that it was the best move for them to make. I expected more criticism. Interesting....

I don't know whether it was a case of Peters wanting out of Buffalo as much as it was about the money.

Having been an undrafted free agent, Peters did not get the kind of big money and bonuses that top draft picks get, so, having worked to make himself a top-level player, he probably was looking to make up the money that he "lost" by not having been a top pick. Also, having played hurt in a couple of games in 2006 and missed a game due to injury in both 2007 and 2008 may have reinforced his determination to get paid (getting hurt may have made him realize that his career could very easily be ended prematurely). So, he was determined to get paid, "come hell or high water", and was not about to settle for anything less than being the highest paid player at his position. Period.

The Bills were willing to pay him handsomely, but, having invested in developing his talent, were looking for a "hometown discount". After his holdout last year and the way that he showed up and performed last season, the team had legitimate concerns about whether giving him a fat, long-term deal would make him complacent and leave them stuck with a player, like Mike Williams, unwilling to play up to his contract or expectations. Additionally, Peters' demand to be the highest paid player at the position and his unwillingness to come down on the financial terms of the deal had to raise a concern about whether he would holdout again in the future once some other offensive tackle gets a contract that exceeds his. Add to that the possibility that he would holdout for the first ten games of this season and then show up and become a distraction in the lockerroom and the Bills had plenty of reasons to want some kind of "hometown discount" or reassurances from Peters--which he adamantly refused to give them.

I can see the positions of both sides and understand them. That doesn't mean that I like the impasse that these positions ended up creating or the trade of Peters that resulted. I don't. But, I can't blame either side--although if I did I would place more blame on Peters than on the Bills for his intransigence. Still, what's done is done, even if I'm not particularly happy about it. And, now the Eagles have the problem of wondering if Peters will play up to his contract or demand a new deal if some other offensive tackle gets a bigger contract than his sometime during the next six years (which I think is likely).

I'm on record as saying that I think the Bills had an inkling that there might be this kind of problem with Peters going into last year's draft and, as a result, drafted D.Bell, a player who was very similar to Peters, in terms of his athleticism and rawness, coming out of college, in the hopes of being able to develop him as Peters' replacement. We will see if that turns out to be the case.

I am also on record as saying that I believe that, if the Bills feel that Bell has developed to the point where they can begin to ease him into the lineup with an eye to having him replace Peters, they will not use the 11th or 28th pick in this year's draft on an offensive tackle. That doesn't mean that they won't take an offensive tackle at some point in the draft, but, if they think Bell can get the job done, I can definitely see them using their top picks to fill other holes in their lineup that need to be filled. I see the Bills' draft strategy as being something of a referendum on how they feel about Bell's progress: I won't be surprised if they use a first round pick on an offensive tackle, but I certainly won't be shocked at all if they don't--although I do believe that a lot of people will not only be shocked, but condemn the Bills if they do not.

kernowboy
04-19-2009, 03:41 AM
Personally LTBF I would like us to draft Gerald Cadogan if necessary at #42 and sign Pete Kendall.

Whoever is better of Cadogan or Bell can be at LT, whilst Kendall on a max 2 years contract can bring along the other at LG. Irrespective of how it worked out, the leftside of the line would be nailed down for years to come.

Lone Stranger
04-19-2009, 08:12 AM
I believe that LTBF has the proper perspective on this. I echo his sentiments.

HHURRICANE
04-19-2009, 09:12 AM
I was only able to read the first three pages of the comments on the article, but was surprised at how many did not blast the Bills or thought that it was the best move for them to make. I expected more criticism. Interesting....

LTBF come on. Waterbuffalo.com? NFL on Sirrius hasn't had one on air personality not question the Bills for this trade. These are the same guys that do the games on Sundays. Not some guy living at his paren't house doing fantasy football scoutimg.