PDA

View Full Version : Tim Graham Blog: Peters Did not play hard because of contract

Mitchell55
04-20-2009, 01:27 AM
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nflnation/0-7-277/Peters-admits-contract-affected-his-attitude.html

He didnt even play hard because of the contract. Hes a LT, hes the last position you want to not play hard. Trent couldve got knocked out of some of those games because JP didnt like his f-in contract. Are you now happy hes gone?

kernowboy
04-20-2009, 02:52 AM
The guy was scum

djjimkelly
04-20-2009, 04:36 AM
i agree he is a piece of ****.

however if this front office showed a more serious approach to winning. maybe some of these bills players attitude towards winning and trying would be much different

Night Train
04-20-2009, 05:01 AM
I kept an open mind when watching his news conference. He did come across very poorly.

I believe he thought a Philly presser would be nothing but a welcome aboard with positive, softball questions.

LtFinFan66
04-20-2009, 05:05 AM
Doesn't exactly say he didn't play hard. You have to read into it a tiny bit to get that.

Jan Reimers
04-20-2009, 07:10 AM
Peters is dead to me.

HHURRICANE
04-20-2009, 07:27 AM
Well since everyone want's to give the FO a pass I'd remind you that if the Bills offered the 8 million a year last summer he'd be here and we would be talking about improving our team instead of draft Peters replacement.

You can't pay your best player behind a Raider's castoff and Dockery and expect that there are no repercussions.

We'll see how "greedy", scummy", "fat slobby" and selfish he looks after the 2009 season ends.

I guarantee our line is going to be horrible and I bet Peters play flawlessly next year.

Dr. Lecter
04-20-2009, 07:34 AM
Regardless of how you feel about the situation this quote should piss everyone off:

Peters was asked if his contract situation affected his play last year.
"A little bit," Peters said. "I was thinking about it sometimes. If you get beat on a play and you think about your contract ... It doesn't affect me that much. I thought about it some early in the year, but later on in the year it wasn't a big deal."

HHURRICANE
04-20-2009, 07:40 AM
i agree he is a piece of ****.

however if this front office showed a more serious approach to winning. maybe some of these bills players attitude towards winning and trying would be much different

Bingo. Thanks for not acting like the FO didn't have anything to do with this.

I believe Peters just wanted to b recognized as the best player on this team. I think he felt aggravated that guys likes Dockery and Walker were making more moeny and it started to take his toll on him.

Some guys are very egocentric that way. It's a respect thing. I really think that Peters contract was fair. 60 million over 6 years with only 24 being guaranteed is not an unfair contract.

I believe he was surprised that he was traded and I think it was purely about the money.

Everything I've heard on ESPN and Sirrius radio is that Bills couldn't justify the contrcat in their small market. Not that he sucked or wasn't worth the money. The Bills haven't addressed the issue publicly because they are going to look like losers unlees a miracle happens between now and the end of the draft.

CoolBreeze
04-20-2009, 07:52 AM

I believe Peters just wanted to b recognized as the best player on this team. I think he felt aggravated that guys likes Dockery and Walker were making more moeny and it started to take his toll on him.

Some guys are very egocentric that way. It's a respect thing. I really think that Peters contract was fair. 60 million over 6 years with only 24 being guaranteed is not an unfair contract.

I believe he was surprised that he was traded and I think it was purely about the money.

Everything I've heard on ESPN and Sirrius radio is that Bills couldn't justify the contrcat in their small market. Not that he sucked or wasn't worth the money. The Bills haven't addressed the issue publicly because they are going to look like losers unlees a miracle happens between now and the end of the draft.

It's still amazing, ESPN, provides you proof, and your still blind. Whether or not you agree with the trade, his quotes should make you mad. You never want a guy, that takes plays off...
So, if you have a co-worker that doesn't do their job, because they don't think that they get paid enough, and YOU suffer for it, are you going to defend them as well?

Michael82
04-20-2009, 08:39 AM

Wow! I think I figured why I don't post as much as I used to anymore.... your posts remind me of Wys now, HHURRICANE and make me pissed off and want to throw my computer out my window. :ill:

trapezeus
04-20-2009, 08:43 AM
did anyone take umbrage with Andy Reid's comments of "they left him on an island."

Does that mean that our protection schemes were different and he was asked to go one on one more, or is he saying, "their team sucks, and poor peters had to deal with that?"

If its the later, i hate andy reid.

The Spaz
04-20-2009, 08:45 AM
did anyone take umbrage with Andy Reid's comments of "they left him on an island."

Does that mean that our protection schemes were different and he was asked to go one on one more, or is he saying, "their team sucks, and poor peters had to deal with that?"

If its the later, i hate andy reid.

Yeah I know god forbid Peters has to block someone one on one...lol. What a dumb comment by Reid.

HHURRICANE
04-20-2009, 08:48 AM
Wow! I think I figured why I don't post as much as I used to anymore.... your posts remind me of Wys now, HHURRICANE and make me pissed off and want to throw my computer out my window. :ill:

Truth hurts.

You've met me in person. Do I seem like a guy that doesn't want the Bills to do well? Hell, I flew in from Atlanta to watch them play and I met you.

This is about winning and getting rid of Peters does not help that happen no matter how you want to spin it.

The Bills have 7 days to show me something or you'll really hate my posts.

MikeInRoch
04-20-2009, 09:37 AM
No, actually. I'll really enjoy the 'ignore' feature.

Michael82
04-20-2009, 09:40 AM
No, actually. I'll really enjoy the 'ignore' feature.
I've never used it before, but there are quite a few people here that make me want to change my mind. :ill:

Michael82
04-20-2009, 09:44 AM
Truth hurts.

You've met me in person. Do I seem like a guy that doesn't want the Bills to do well? Hell, I flew in from Atlanta to watch them play and I met you.

This is about winning and getting rid of Peters does not help that happen no matter how you want to spin it.

That's why you remind me exactly of Wys. I hated Wys the poster, but Mark Weiler was a great guy in person and someone I would buy a beer for. But online, he makes me want to take my keyboard and beat the hell out of him with it. You are the same way. You are a nice guy and I was glad to meet you and I hope to see you at another game...but online, I want to strangle you. I don't have a lot of hope left...but I still have some and it's what makes being a fan, fun. Please don't take that away from me and all the other "optimistic" fans on the board. :up:

Jan Reimers
04-20-2009, 09:46 AM
I've never used it before, but there are quite a few people here that make me want to change my mind. :ill:
I only use it when my blood pressure goes to stroke level.

The Spaz
04-20-2009, 09:47 AM
That's why you remind me exactly of Wys. I hated Wys the poster, but Mark Weiler was a great guy in person and someone I would buy a beer for. But online, he makes me want to take my keyboard and beat the hell out of him with it. You are the same way. You are a nice guy and I was glad to meet you and I hope to see you at another game...but online, I want to strangle you. I don't have a lot of hope left...but I still have some and it's what makes being a fan, fun. Please don't take that away from me and all the other "optimistic" fans on the board. :up:

Don't give up Mikey!:up::beers:

DrGraves
04-20-2009, 10:34 AM
I love how this board has turned into people bashing each other instead of bills football.... lol (im guilty too)

but i think this horrible franchise has driven us to this.

p.s. can we give up the peters thing yet? please?

Ebenezer
04-20-2009, 10:34 AM
Truth hurts.

I thought you were done with this team?

sauce
04-20-2009, 11:48 AM
Well since everyone want's to give the FO a pass I'd remind you that if the Bills offered the 8 million a year last summer he'd be here and we would be talking about improving our team instead of draft Peters replacement.

You can't pay your best player behind a Raider's castoff and Dockery and expect that there are no repercussions.

We'll see how "greedy", scummy", "fat slobby" and selfish he looks after the 2009 season ends.

I guarantee our line is going to be horrible and I bet Peters play flawlessly next year.

Eugene Parker is that you ?

PromoTheRobot
04-20-2009, 12:13 PM
This morning Peters was on Sirius NFL radio. Adam Schein asked him point blank if he was "out of shape" when he reprted to the Bills in 2008 and Peters said absolutely, but that it was his "only leverage" against the team.

Makes me wanna give him $12M/yr.

PTR

PromoTheRobot
04-20-2009, 12:15 PM

Yes, we've all seen how Peters honors his contracts. I'm sure he would have signed for $8M last year...and he'd be holding out for $12M this year.

PTR

Michael82
04-20-2009, 03:12 PM
This morning Peters was on Sirius NFL radio. Adam Schein asked him point blank if he was "out of shape" when he reprted to the Bills in 2008 and Peters said absolutely, but that it was his "only leverage" against the team.

Makes me wanna give him $12M/yr.

PTR
WOW! I can't believe that the guy is such a ****ing piece of **** that he would screw his teammates over and the team, just to get a new contract. He's a ****ing ***** and is all about the money! What a douchebag! :mad:

OpIv37
04-20-2009, 03:16 PM
Regardless of how you feel about the situation this quote should piss everyone off:

It was bound to happen sooner or later. This team lets top talent walk while paying scrubs like Peerless Price, Schobel, Kelsay, Dockery, etc. Would you work hard if you had zero prospects for a raise or promotion?

Yes, Peters is scum for not taking his job seriously, but this was a bi-product of this FO that was a long time in the making.

Jan Reimers
04-20-2009, 03:22 PM
It was bound to happen sooner or later. This team lets top talent walk while paying scrubs like Peerless Price, Schobel, Kelsay, Dockery, etc. Would you work hard if you had zero prospects for a raise or promotion?

Yes, Peters is scum for not taking his job seriously, but this was a bi-product of this FO that was a long time in the making.
Peters' problems are the result of his laziness, his miniscule brain, and his really s***ty attitude

HHURRICANE
04-20-2009, 03:26 PM

I'm dropping the Peters subject until our GM comments on this. But the guy worked hard until the 2008 campaign and you have to wonder how our FO keeps losing players.

OpIv37
04-20-2009, 03:30 PM
Peters' problems are the result of his laziness, his miniscule brain, and his really s***ty attitude

Really?

So, if you had a job where you got paid less than people around you who had easier jobs and were far less talented, and you had almost no chance of ever making the amount of money that you're worth, and you were under contract so you couldn't legally pursue outside employment, you'd show up and give it 100% every day?

User Manuel
04-20-2009, 03:34 PM

I need you to expand on this. Why, because I have no idea what you mean.

Peerless Price had a pro bowl year in 2002 with Bledsoe and then got mad at the Bills for not paying him and then was traded and did ....... Richard.

Schobel went to the pro bowl for 2 consectutive years in 2006 and 2007 before being hurt last year.

Dockery had a huge year for the Redskins the year before the Bills signed him, but he failed here.

Kelsay may be overpaid, but I have never, ever heard he doesnt work hard.

So what exactly is your point? The Bills suck for paying their guys like Schobel and Dockery for having great years and/or making the pro bowl, or they are jerks for not paying their guys like Peerless and Peters.

If you are just mad because you think they made a mistake that is fine, but don't make stuff up. Peter's admitted he INTENTIONALLY compromised himself last year and came out of shape as leverage. That is disgusting.

Michael82
04-20-2009, 03:36 PM

Peerless Price had a pro bowl year in 2002 with Bledsoe and then got mad at the Bills for not paying him and then was traded and did ....... Richard.

Schobel went to the pro bowl for 2 consectutive years in 2006 and 2007 before being hurt last year.

Dockery had a huge year for the Redskins the year before the Bills signed him, but he failed here.

So what exactly is your point? The Bills suck for paying their guys like Schobel and Dockery for having great years and/or making the pro bowl, or they are jerks for not paying their guys like Peerless and Peters.

If you are just mad because you think they made a mistake that is fine, but don't make stuff up. Peter's admitted he INTENTIONALLY compromised himself last year and came out of shape as leverage. That is disgusting.
Don't forget about Lee Evans and Marcus Stroud who both did their part and worked hard with the team, without whining.

User Manuel
04-20-2009, 03:38 PM

what are we betting? I am in if it is reasonable.

OpIv37
04-20-2009, 03:41 PM

Peerless Price was given a backloaded $10 million contract that he never deserved in the first place.

Schobel sucked in 07 and made the pro bowl on name only.

Kelsay is overpaid regardless of how much he works, and when they gave Kelsay more than Schobel was making, it forced them to re-sign Schobel to an even LARGER undeserved contract.

At one point I broke it down in 2007, and between Schobel and Kelsay the Bills paid over a million dollars PER SACK.

Dockery was given far more money than Peters despite being less talented and playing an easy position, then got cut two years later.

So, there's nothing to explain and I'm not making anything up. This team is full of guys who are getting contracts or extensions that they don't deserve, and it's easy to see why someone like Peters would get disgruntled. He definitely didn't handle it in the most mature manner, but he also didn't have a lot of other options.

User Manuel
04-21-2009, 07:47 AM
"Schobel sucked in 07 and made the pro bowl on name only."

Peters sucked in "08 and maybe, going by your theory, the Bills learned from their mistake.

Jan Reimers
04-21-2009, 08:35 AM
Really?

So, if you had a job where you got paid less than people around you who had easier jobs and were far less talented, and you had almost no chance of ever making the amount of money that you're worth, and you were under contract so you couldn't legally pursue outside employment, you'd show up and give it 100% every day?
Absolutely, or I would change jobs (without pulling the crap that Peters did). But that's just how people in my generation were raised.

I would never expect to better myself by pissing, moaning, dogging it, and blowing off my employer.

Ebenezer
04-21-2009, 08:59 AM
Absolutely, or I would change jobs (without pulling the crap that Peters did). But that's just how people in my generation were raised.

I would never expect to better myself by pissing, moaning, dogging it, and blowing off my employer.
Just not your generation Jan. Some of us were raised that way, too. We all complain about our jobs - there is always something that doesn't sit right but not performing your job or blowing things off is uncalled for.

In the "real world" burn out is a problem and I have seen that dead weight either gets cut or leaves on its own accord. At the end of their first semester I always tell my first year students to choose a career and "do what you love but love what you do". Peters, whether provoked by the Bills or not, is slime for doing what he did. I would have to question the work ethic of those that are completely in his corner. Some of them just grind the FO gears because it is easy (which it is but not the point).

Dr. Lecter
04-21-2009, 09:05 AM
Really?

Oh come on.

It was not just his not giving 100%. It was holding out with no communication. It was whining and moaning. It was his non-chalant way of going about playing. The Bills history, for good or bad, is to pay guys that show up, work hard and do not create a distraction. Obivously they do not always sign the right guys.

And Peters comparing himself to Walker and Dockery in terms of salary is dumb too. The other two were UFA's that were out there for the highest bidder. THey had more leverage and more ability to get a big pay day.

I still think the trade was bad. But don't make excuses for the way Peters handled himself. His actions were as inexcusable as the Bills reaction.

Ebenezer
04-21-2009, 09:19 AM

Wait a minute here...I missed this post.

Are you remotely serious??? A long time in the making? Define long time. The guy was an undrafted TE that this team made into an All-Pro LT. He has only been in the league four years. The Bills signed him. The Bills trained him. The Bills were patient. The Bills never failed to pay him his negotiated salary. The Bills rewarded him by reworking his deal when they didn't have to. The Bills rewarded him again when they said that they would rework the deal again when he held out by his own choice, cut off communication with the team and failed to meet the obligations of the contract that he signed without duress. How is any of this the Bills fault?? If you back Peters you are just grinding an axe against the FO because that is what you do or you (as many younger people) are as selfish and spoiled as Peters.

Philagape
04-21-2009, 09:22 AM
Really?

I dunno, but if I were his boss I'd fire that guy, since the well-being of his most important co-worker depended on him.

Dr. Lecter
04-21-2009, 09:29 AM
He definitely didn't handle it in the most mature manner, but he also didn't have a lot of other options.

Bull****.

Evans and Stroud both got extensions and did so in a mature manner.

The FO should have kept him, but quit being an apologist for Peters and acting like there were good reasons for him being an *******.

Throne Logic
04-21-2009, 09:54 AM
Really?

Yes. It's called personal integrity. When you commit to something (in this case, sign a contract), you do the best job you can do to fulfill your commitment.

If the situation is complete lopsided, as in the case of Peters, you open a dialog with the management to express your discontent and present your case. In the meantime, you continue to work your tail off to back up the case you are presenting.

It may suck, but consider it a life lesson. You might want to be more careful with the next contract you sign to make sure it accounts for overachievement with incentives.