PDA

View Full Version : the next Head Coach after Jauron?

kernowboy
04-20-2009, 06:43 AM
Well, there are plenty of threads which are anti-Dick so lets come up with some plausible alternatives.

Bobby April and Perry Fewell lead the list of internal candidates but if we are going to get better wouldn't it be better to clean house completely?

As Belichick as shown, promoting a highly regarded assistant doesn't really work as none of his family tree have seemed to be that successful.

Names such as Cowher will be mentioned, but is he really prepared to return to football or is he happy in his TV Booth retirement?

Has Mike Shanahan got anything left in the tank? He does have a 5-2 winning record against Belichick so that would be useful.

Would Jon Gruden make everyone happy or p*** everyone off?

Personally I think we need to bring in a coach with a winning record. Whilst I like Cowher, I think we need an offensive focused head coach so I'd stick my money on Shanahan, but get him to retain Fewell as his defensive co-ordinator.

jimbohastle51
04-20-2009, 12:17 PM
All I know is there are so many good qualified candidates I will be pretty mad If we end up with another coordinator instead of a proven coach.

bigbub2352
04-20-2009, 12:18 PM
Bobby April as interm then after the season Gruden, Billick, Fassel, martz, Holmgren, Cowher, Shottenheimer, all will be out there
anything is better than Skeletor

mikemac2001
04-20-2009, 12:20 PM
mike shannahan

Nighthawk
04-20-2009, 12:21 PM
Perry Fewell is a horrible coach and should not be considered for a HC position in the NFL. April will be considered, but he isn't who I would want...I'd want somebody from outside the organization to come in here and change the culture.

Commissioner
04-20-2009, 12:23 PM
I would like Charlie Weiss if he becomes available ....

I would like to see what he could do with Trent Edwards.

FlyingDutchman
04-20-2009, 12:24 PM
Shotty. Been callin for him for years

justasportsfan
04-20-2009, 01:05 PM
Personally I think we need to bring in a coach with a winning record. Whilst I like Cowher, I think we need an offensive focused head coach so I'd stick my money on Shanahan, but get him to retain Fewell as his defensive co-ordinator.

Play not to lose D. No thanks.

kernowboy
04-20-2009, 01:09 PM
Ok I was trying to be nice, but thats the Tampa2 defence

Would you want to see this defence scrapped?

Do we have the players on the roster do achieve this or is that our players still struggle with the Tampa 2?

Personally I've always wanted us to have a more aggressive 4-3 defence like the Eagles and Giants apply.

justasportsfan
04-20-2009, 01:21 PM
Ok I was trying to be nice, but thats the Tampa2 defence

Would you want to see this defence scrapped?

Do we have the players on the roster do achieve this or is that our players still struggle with the Tampa 2?

Personally I've always wanted us to have a more aggressive 4-3 defence like the Eagles and Giants apply.

The most successful teams in recent years don't use the tampa2. Not Pitts, not NE. THe Colts won the sb after being dead last on D the year they won the sb, but for the most part, it was mostly Peyton and co. that carried that team.

At the beginning of Dicks tenure here, the Dl was supposed to be light even up the middle . OOPs dead last against the run. Now they went with heavier players up the middle . I'm tired of Fewell playing experiment. I want somebody who's been there done that and knows how to win with an agressive D. Not one that hopes the opposing qb trips on himself. I don't care if we have the right players to play a system. A good coach can come in and design plays to make them succeed with the players he has.

I don't know how much of an influence Cowher has over Lebeau, but I wished we never let Lebeau go in favor of Jerry Gray. I Cowher comes in, I'm almost sure we'll have a D better than Feweel ever created here.

Night Train
04-20-2009, 02:57 PM
It will be some Insurance Agent from Ralph's home office in Detriot. Cecil Sliderule.

psubills62
04-20-2009, 03:01 PM
Obviously, Cowher would be the first choice. Wins in the regular season and the playoffs.

Honestly, I'm of the opinion that Schonert isn't a bad OC...it's just that our offense absolutely stunk at trying to execute the play calls. I remember Schonert actually calling screens (unlike Fairchild), and they would have worked to perfection if Lynch hadn't dropped the ball or something.

However, if we're going to get a proven coach from outside and rebuild, we have to get rid of Fewell and Schonert, unless he plans to keep them on. I think Bobby April deserves to stay no matter what, even if he doesn't become the head coach.

My list in order of preference:
1. Cowher
2. Holmgren
3. Shanahan

McBFLO
04-20-2009, 06:29 PM
Russ Grimm, current OL/Asst HC of AZ who was previously the OL (and possibly also Asst HC) in Pittsburgh. He'd bring a tough, hard-nosed, physical Steeler style of football to Buffalo. He was a former player and member of the famed "Hogs" OL with the Washington Redskins. He has been around the league a while as a coach, and was thought to be considered a favorite, along with Ken Whisenhunt for the Steelers HC job when Cowher retired. A lot of you on here want Cowher, which is completely unrealistic. However, in my opinion, getting a guy like Russ Grimm wouldn't be a bad way to go. I think Buffalo would love this guy.

scartown
04-20-2009, 06:35 PM
Casey Bradley

BillsWin
04-20-2009, 06:36 PM
Bobby April will probably get promoted, but I am a Cowher buff and a big fan of Billick.

DrGraves
04-20-2009, 07:01 PM
Neither Shannahan or Cowher would agree to lead this dumpy franchise.

I mean maybe if we offered ungodly money, but we're the bills so that isn't an option.

Oaf
04-21-2009, 01:55 AM
Russ Brandon

Michael82
04-21-2009, 03:40 AM
I want Shanahan or Schottenheimer...but it will probably be Bobby April by the end of the season. I gotta admit...with how good he does at putting anyone and ST and making it dominant, plus how good he is with his players, I am definitely curiou s how he would be as a head coach.

kernowboy
04-22-2009, 06:55 PM
Steve Sarkisian, Washington Huskies?

jamze132
04-23-2009, 01:53 AM
Tony Dungy

Dujek
04-23-2009, 03:18 AM
Billick
Schottenheimer
Mariucci

Any of those guys would be a step in the right direction.

djjimkelly
04-23-2009, 03:40 AM
id rather a bag of empty peanut shells as our head coach

kelly2reed4six
04-23-2009, 08:07 AM
If it ends up being a coordinator, which we all know is about 99.999999 % guaranteed because RW is a cheap tight wad, than I hope it's April. He's been one of the best in his specialty, so give him a shot. And hey, look what the Ravens did last year with a special teams coach calling the shots......i'm not saying I want a coordinator, but since it's nearly certain it would be thats my vote

blackonyx89
04-23-2009, 10:36 AM
Tony Dungy

This would be an excellent selection! He reminds alot of Marv Levy, class guy
who gets the best out of players and his offensive philosophy resembles
The K-Gun from back in the day. Would love to see it happen, but unlikely.