PDA

View Full Version : Allen Wilson get's it for you that don't.

HHURRICANE
04-20-2009, 07:15 AM
Read on:

"Many of you may think Peters didn’t deserve the kind of money he was seeking, which was between $11 and $12 million per year. But that is the cost of trying to compete in the National Football League.
The Bills had no problem overpaying for left guard Derrick Dockery. They were very generous with right tackle Langston Walker. Neither is as accomplished at their positions as Peters is at his."

http://www.buffalonews.com/452/story/644252.html

DesertFox24
04-20-2009, 07:25 AM
Look he is gone, Ralph has sent a message to every player on this team. Show up to offseason workouts and you will get paid.

He held out and got traded.

Stroud showed up, got paid.

Evans showed up, got paid
Williams showed up, got paid
Butler showed up, got paid
Jackson showed up, will get paid

Clements brief holdout, now a 49ner
Peters held out, now an eagle

There is a history here dude.

CoolBreeze
04-20-2009, 07:27 AM
Your defending a guy that just admitted he took plays off... While playing Left Tackle. Maybe you and Allen Wilson don't know anthing about the NFL. Buffalo recognized the mistake with Dockery, see where he is now? Langston Walker has played quite well. But, hey, continue to defend Jason Peters, and his "I don't care, I'm an Eagle now" attitude.

kernowboy
04-20-2009, 07:28 AM
as accomplished at giving up sacks?

A key point that he has missed is that we signed Dockery and Walker as free agents whilst Peters was under contract, a contract nobody forced him to sign and you dont' pay someone to be the highest paid at their position in the league when they are still learning. And whilst LTs are hard to come by, the Chargers, Colts, Titans and Patriots have all found quality operators in the 2nd whilst the Ravens even found theirs in the 5th.

And if the Eagles were prepared to pay up, how come there weren't 10 other teams knocking on our door. The 49ers need OT help. The Redskins need to replace Jansen. The Chargers have a huge hole at RT. Flozell Adams isn't getting any younger. The Bucs could do with a LT. Except there was silence.

You might be a homer for Peters and not a supporter of the Bills but get over it.

It will be proven to be a case of addition by subtraction, because whilst the guy we draft may not have the raw talent of Peters, he will have the work ethic and professionalism not to give up on plays and let his QB get sacked and injured.

HHURRICANE
04-20-2009, 07:31 AM
One bad season in the entire time he was here and now he sucks. Okay. And let's ignore missing camps and pre-season and the opener.

Sorry but if he plays well in Philly what will your excuse be then? We didn't know any better?

Your local reporter even thinks we were wrong.

Night Train
04-20-2009, 07:37 AM
It's an opinion and a valid one.

Wilson also stated in his online chat last week that he thought the Bills would get a 1st & a 4th for Peters, if traded.

That was his market and basically, that's what the Bills got.

Jan Reimers
04-20-2009, 07:46 AM
Peters is gone, whether we like it or not. Why piss and moan and carry on incessantly about something that is no longer relevant?

Historian
04-20-2009, 07:51 AM
Read LifetimeBillsFan's analysis of the whole thing.

It's quite good.

streetkings01
04-20-2009, 07:52 AM
One bad season in the entire time he was here and now he sucks. Okay. And let's ignore missing camps and pre-season and the opener.

Sorry but if he plays well in Philly what will your excuse be then? We didn't know any better?

Your local reporter even thinks we were wrong.The thing is Peters has regressed since 2006. Since the 2007 season he has given up more and more sacks......he gave up like 1 sack in 2006, 6 sacks in 2007 and 11.5 sacks in 2008! His run blocking has regressed as well.......it seem as if he's content with where he's at in his career and doesn't care about improving and being the best at his position. Being in the pro bowl seems to be enough for Peters......dont give me that crap about Peters struggles last season was because he missed training camp and preseason......Walter Jones consistently missed training camp because of contract disputes and still started and finished every season dominant!

Philagape
04-20-2009, 07:57 AM
And let's ignore missing camps and pre-season and the opener.

Because he CHOSE to. And it hurt his performance -- physically and mentally -- and it endangered his QB. Because of his choice.
And that's why I don't want him on this team. He is not a team player, and cannot be trusted. Not to be the QB's blindside protector.

HHURRICANE
04-20-2009, 07:58 AM
Read LifetimeBillsFan's analysis of the whole thing.

It's quite good.

It's awesome and very sad. I think it sums why being a fan of this team is hopeless.

The Bills would figure out a reason why Peyton Manning isn't worth the money.

Philagape
04-20-2009, 08:01 AM
I don't care how justified his demands were. I don't care what was offered. I don't care how good he was at his best.

If any of that gets in your head ON THE FIELD, get off my team and don't ever come back.

Saratoga Slim
04-20-2009, 08:05 AM
One bad season in the entire time he was here and now he sucks.

Dude, it's not that he had a bad season, it's WHY he had a bad season. He had a bad season because he was MAD about money. Anquan Boldin was mad about money, but was mature enough to show up and play his ass off anyway--because once he was on the field he was interested enough in the game and his teammates to put the money issue aside. Peters was not. So yes, it was only one season, but in that one season Peters significantly devalued himself--he went from being a guy who people looked at as a rising star, to one with significant maturity question marks.

This isn't really even debatable. Only TWO teams entered the bidding for a guy with sufficient physical talent to be the best LT in the league. Everyone knows that LT is perhaps the 2nd most important position on any offense, and that it is extremely rare that a guy with Peters' talent, experience and age becomes available for trade. And yet only two teams were interested? Look what happened when Jay Cutler, a similar situation, went on the market. 1/3 of the league made calls.

There's a reason we could only get a late 1st, 4th & 6th. People were concerned about trading 1/3 of their draft picks and paying 10M+ a year to a guy who not only held out all offseason, but clearly did not get his head right and perform for the team once he showed up.

So does he suck? No, he's got incredible talent. But he is less valuable than he was at the end of 2007 because of his incredibly poor handling of the contract situation. That's why we couldn't get more--not because of bad negotiating by the FO, because there was no market for him.

Finally, you keep saying that the media, notably Sirius, says we got screwed. I listen to Sirius in the background for many hours every day while I work, and I can tell you that this isn't true. While a couple have questioned the move (Ross Tucker, Zig Fricassi), numerous (Jim Miller, Vic Carucci, Peter King, Sal Palantonio, Soloman Wilcots) have said that they fully understand why the Bills felt they had to pull the trigger. Moreover, just because everyone agrees that it was a good move for the Eagles does NOT mean that it was a mistake by the Bills. That's faulty logic--Peters had the Bills in a ransom situation and sapped them of leverage.

Again, did we get enough value for Peters? No, he's worth more than we got. But we had to move him because he was not happy here and we saw how he plays when he's not happy, and we DID get the best offer available on the open market. It's unfortunate, but that's the way it works sometimes.

WeAreArthurMoates
04-20-2009, 08:06 AM
I hate everything that comes out of Allen's mouth, just don't like his writting and his point of view. I'm not even going to bother reading this.

HHURRICANE
04-20-2009, 08:19 AM
Saratoga, if teams got rid of players for the reasons above there would hardly be any players in the league. All NFL players are big babies. I'm friends with a bunch of them and they still are even after they are done playing.

The Bills should have never let it get to a holdout and 8 million a year now looks reasonable considering that's what we offered in the end anyways.

Brandon played chicken and lost. The guy didn't play well in 2008, we lost Peters, and Peters actually made more money than if we had sat down and negotiated last summer.

Peters is the winner and we are the losers here. Period.

DMBcrew36
04-20-2009, 08:21 AM
Peters is gone, whether we like it or not. Why piss and moan and carry on incessantly about something that is no longer relevant?

It is relevant. It is another item on the long list of incompetent moves by the Bills organization. Anyone who doesn't think Peters is one of the best at LT in the league is an idiot. Yeah, no one likes the way he went about demanding his contract and holding out, but this is about trying to make the playoffs. Pay your best players, cut the fat (Kelsay, Schobel, Dockery, etc) and draft well. Well obviously the Bills don't want to pay their best players. Say it's irrelevant, but it's quite relevant for this upcoming season - we aren't going to make the playoffs (and no, not just because of Peters).

X-Era
04-20-2009, 08:53 AM
Look he is gone, Ralph has sent a message to every player on this team. Show up to offseason workouts and you will get paid.

He held out and got traded.

Stroud showed up, got paid.

Evans showed up, got paid
Williams showed up, got paid
Butler showed up, got paid
Jackson showed up, will get paid

Clements brief holdout, now a 49ner
Peters held out, now an eagle

There is a history here dude.

Im waiting for us to sign even one top 5 anything to a top 5 contract. You could try to argue Evans but it took like 6 months and ended up for only 3 years... we get to deal with that problem again after the 2010 season (I think).

What I will agree that we do is fill our team with solid, average, and bench warmer type players... that hasnt worked in the last decade, why will it now?

Saratoga Slim
04-20-2009, 10:38 AM
Saratoga, if teams got rid of players for the reasons above there would hardly be any players in the league. All NFL players are big babies. I'm friends with a bunch of them and they still are even after they are done playing.

Yes, I agree that most players are self-centered and think that they deserve more money than they're getting. But there's a big difference between those that a) believe it but put the team first and work in good faith to get a new deal and b) guys like Peters that throw a world class hissy fit AND THEN even let their unhappiness significantly impact their play.

Again, Anquan Boldin is a no-joke #1 receiver, and has wanted a new contract for two years. Does he have one yet? Nope. The Cards are taking the same approach the Bills did with Peters.

Though I hate the Patriots, I respect the hell out of their player management decisions. Thus, I can't help but ask how they would have handled Peters. My guess is they would have done exactly what the Bills did--refused to let a player with numerous years left on his contract hold the team hostage. I'm not a Patriot expert, but seems like that's how they handle holdouts--Asante Samuel etc.

The Bills should have never let it get to a holdout and 8 million a year now looks reasonable considering that's what we offered in the end anyways.

Brandon played chicken and lost. The guy didn't play well in 2008, we lost Peters, and Peters actually made more money than if we had sat down and negotiated last summer.

Peters is the winner and we are the losers here. Period.

You're right, Peters got what he wanted, and we're worse off because of it. But it's not fair at all to put the failure to negotiate on the Bills. They've made it very clear over the past years how to get paid--show up and perform, and they'll work with you. We've seen this over and over. Peters decided to ignore that pattern and as a result forced the Bills into a corner. They decided it was better for the long term of their business model to ensure that players are quite clear that this organization will reward those that negotiate professionally, but will not be held hostage.

Ebenezer
04-20-2009, 10:44 AM
The whole Peters 2009 to Peters 2008 comparison is a waste of time...there are too many confounding factors - the Eagles are by far a more talented offense team with better offensive minds...JP Losman might look better there than he did here...it means nothing...this is not tennis or golf.

alohabillsfan
04-20-2009, 11:34 AM
Some people just don't get it....

Jan Reimers
04-20-2009, 01:59 PM
It is relevant. It is another item on the long list of incompetent moves by the Bills organization. Anyone who doesn't think Peters is one of the best at LT in the league is an idiot. Yeah, no one likes the way he went about demanding his contract and holding out, but this is about trying to make the playoffs. Pay your best players, cut the fat (Kelsay, Schobel, Dockery, etc) and draft well. Well obviously the Bills don't want to pay their best players. Say it's irrelevant, but it's quite relevant for this upcoming season - we aren't going to make the playoffs (and no, not just because of Peters).
I guess the Peters' worshippers didn't notice that we never made the playoffs with him, nor that he quit on us last year. There are other LTs in football, some of whom even give it their all on every play.

MikeInRoch
04-20-2009, 02:06 PM
Hmmm. It appears that 'ignore' doesn't stop me from seeing new topics from those I have on ignore...

ratso
04-20-2009, 02:13 PM
‘But let’s also remember that the guy is still learning the position. He has had only two full seasons at left tackle. The Eagles are getting someone whose best football should still be ahead of him.”<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
-Wonderful. In essence he believes he is not the top three left tackle in the league yet. But we should pay him because it was perceived by one team who had an extra first round draft pick and nothing to lose to trade for him coming off of the worst year of his career and having only one great season to speak of. Thank god Allen Wilson is not an investment advisor. I would have put everything into ENRON. One thing I would love to ask <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Wilson</st1:place></st1:City> is this. If you were picking in the top eight and needed an OT and you were slated by Kiper to take one of the three studs (Oher, Britton or Smith) and you knew the “for sure” Jason Peters was trade available, wouldn’t you strongly consider trading down with Buffalo or a three way with another team who was creaming to get up to take Sanchez or Crabtree, get one maybe two second rounders for swapping first round slots and then give the Bills the first rounder you got in exchange for a “proven top three OT” instead of taking a rookie? Maybe it’s because league GM’s don’t take as much stock in pro bowl appearances as <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Wilson</st1:place></st1:City> does. <o:p></o:p>
-While we are there let’s address your best shot for winning. We were mediocre in 2006 (7-9) as well as 2007. In 2008, he sat and pouted and we won the first three games without him. How will we ever replace the winning chemistry he gave us? By the way, the problem isn’t with the o-line, the problem is with a rookie QB you are growing up with who doesn’t want to get rid of the ball. This is the reason he took a concussion. I will not even blame Peters or anyone for that. This is the reason why your OC told you to go and get a WR that can get open. (i.e Terrell Owens).<o:p></o:p>
-While we are on the subject of the draft let me ask this. How many of Bill Polian’s 1<SUP>st</SUP> round draft picks did not play their first year? Answer=none. When you got drafted by Polian, it was not to sit on the bench and learn. You were drafted to play. (Burris, Jones, JD Williams Conlan etc……) This team needs to draft starters, this is why they are picking 11. There are plenty of NFL impact starters OL or otherwise in the first 28 picks of this draft. The problem is we weren’t picking any until lately. It is now up to the “braintrust” to figure out which guys they are. The jury is out on this hodgepodge of football genius. <o:p></o:p>
-Yes they overpaid for Dockery. Now he is gone.<o:p></o:p>
-Coach Andy Reid the expert on both sides of the line that gave the genius that is Darwin Walker. Thank god he was dumb enough to trade for Takeo Spikes or we would still be stuck with that “I want to be paid in the top 5 guy”. What a fantastic talent evaluator he is. Maybe we can trade him Roscoe Parrish too. Oh by the way, the pick we got from the Bears for <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Walker</st1:place></st1:City> turned out to be your opening day QB for the 2009 season.<o:p></o:p>
-There is not a snowball’s chance in hell a rookie deal would be as large as Peters. Even a first rounder. Plus remember the cap. Rookie salaries are given leeway against it. This is just plain irresponsible journalism on the part of <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Wilson</st1:place></st1:City>.<o:p></o:p>
-<st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Walker</st1:place></st1:City> is not a for sure to take his place. Seth Mckinney can go both sides. I know he is not the “great” Jason Peters but he does have eight years in the league, started his first four years (started in 33 games) and played in 16 starting in three last year with the Browns. <o:p></o:p>
-I would also like to ask what the Eagles have to lose here? Ask Andy Reid if Peters would have been worth the only first round pick the Eagles had. If he stinks they only eat the guaranteed portion (which he is insane for giving him considering now he has nothing to get in game shape for) and they can slide the kid coming off of the knee injury into his slot. This thing is starting to smell like Terrell Owens for the Eagles every day.<o:p></o:p>
-Allen Wilson also doesn’t remember that if it wasn’t for the Bills, Peters would be the best paid bouncer at <st1:place w:st="on">SOHO</st1:place>. We took him as an undrafted TE, moved him and taught him everything he knows and had the audacity to pay him an NFL salary while doing it. So if it’s loyalty Allen Wilson is looking for, he is barking up the wrong tree. Leave the old man out of it, he has nothing to prove.<o:p></o:p>

kid mickey
04-20-2009, 07:45 PM
I read that article in the paper and honestly I tend to never agree with what Allen Wilson says. You don't overpay for underachievers. Which is why I believe Kelsay and Parrish could be on the trading block. They are career underachievers. I like the idea of the Bills cutting the fat. The only real reason why I think Kelsay hasn't been moved yet is because the Bills are planning on drafting a guy in round two and they want to see if the guy they draft is better than him. If he is than Kelsay is gone.

Novacane
04-21-2009, 06:58 AM
Your local reporter even thinks we were wrong.

Well golly gee :crazy: If all knowing Allen Wilson thinks I'm wrong I must be wrong :crazy: