PDA

View Full Version : Drafting from our own backyard

kernowboy
04-20-2009, 07:19 AM
Last year prior to the draft, I mentioned that there were a couple of Buffalo Bulls players in the draft and maybe the Bills should actively consider them.

Let us just say that it didn't meet with an enthusiastic response.

Well Trevor Scott (6ft5, 256lbs) was eventually taken in the 6th round (169) by the Raiders and recorded 24 tackles, a forced fumble, and 5 sacks, tying for the most sacks by a rookie beating the likes of Gholson and Harvey. We drafted a RB who ran for 5yds off 6 carries, having earlier drafted Chris Ellis DE who recorded a total of 3 tackles

Jamey Richard was drafted in the 7th round (236) and the 6ft5, 295lbs rookie eventually started 7 games. Here is a guy who can play both Center and Left Guard.

In this years draft we have Drew Willy who after his combine performance is as worthy of a Day2 pick as any and after considering his agility and game management would push Fitzpatrick as a backup and be able to start in a pinch.

In 2010, the Bulls have three very talented players who might be in the draft and potentially in positions of need:

James Starks, RB, 6ft2, 211lbs who ran last year for 1,333yds, 16TDs and made 52rec for 361yds. Described as a tough sure thing workhorse who can hit a home run from anywhere

Naaman Roosevelt, WR, 6ft, 187lbs who had 104rec for 1,402yds and 13TDs and runs a 4.49 40time

Davonte Shannon, FS/SS, 6ft1, 185lbs running a 4.44 who had 121 tackles having had 123tackles and 3Ints the previous year and described as a great tackler with top coverage skills.

With Lynch, Simpson and Whitner misbehaving and Owens on a one year deal, Ralph could certainly saving some money by scouting closer to home and the roster would be a better one if he had done so last year.

As it is I would love it if we could find some way and use Kelsay, Parrish and Simpson to get hold of those lads from last year.

LifetimeBillsFan
04-20-2009, 07:27 AM
If they can stay healthy this season, I predict that the Bills will have a lot of competition for these UB players come draft time next year, especially Starks and Roosevelt. They aren't secrets anymore--scouts around the NFL will have them on their radar this Fall.

kernowboy
04-20-2009, 07:30 AM
I see them as late Day1, early Day2 picks. I think Starks will be a 2nd round pick whilst Roosevelt and Shannon will go in the 3rd

I would however love to see all of them dressed in the blue of the Bills.