PDA

View Full Version : My take on the next steps needed

kernowboy
04-20-2009, 08:46 AM
Leading up to the draft, I don’t think the Front Office has done too badly, and clearly there is more to come. We still have some gaps on the roster but I can see them being filled without too much difficulty, but those steps are relatively small. But considering the remaining steps to be taken I would like to see these moves.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Sign Pete Kendall. The Offensive Line is still relatively inexperienced and lacks leadership. <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on">Kendall</st1:place> may be 36, but he had a solid season last year at LG and may well be up for one last hurrah. Alongside Demetrius Bell or a rookie LT, he would certainly be a great addition and whichever of <st1:City w:st="on">Bell</st1:City> or the rookie who lost out at LT could learn for a season behind <st1:place w:st="on">Kendall</st1:place>. We’d also keep the right hand side intact.<o:p></o:p>
Trade for Tony Scheffler. We do need a TE and Scheffler is as good as those in the draft. The 2010 draft is looking like an even better class with <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Gresham</st1:place></st1:City>, Rob Gronkowski and Pitta. Scheffler will be a RFA at least so we can either extend him or draft a superior TE to Pettigrew next year. A 4<SUP>th</SUP> rounder acquired from the Parrish trade should do it.<o:p></o:p>
Cut the underachievers. This includes first year men from last year and some of the veterans like Kelsay if we are unable to trade them. These include Schouman, Omon, and maybe even Ellison<o:p></o:p>
See if Al Davis is silly enough to take Kelsay for Trevor Scott DE who would be an upgrade. I'd even offer Ellis.<o:p></o:p>
Draft for defence in R1, but get an OL in R2. (Brown, Laurinaitis, Cadogan)<o:p></o:p>
Prepare for the possible departure of Simpson and sanctions against Whitner
(Sherrod Martin)<o:p></o:p>
Get some depth on the OL (Urbik) and some blocking at TE (D. Gronkowski)<o:p></o:p>
Look north of the border for some potential players and plan for the eventual slowing down of Stroud (Vaughn Martin)<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
If you plan to use a FB, at least have a proper one (Fiammatta)<o:p></o:p>
Draft a QB to develop into a No2 who can start – it worked for the Pats (Willy)<o:p></o:p>
With these moves I am happy to believe we will have not only a winning season but a playoff bound one.<o:p></o:p>