• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

Forget the latest issue

Forget Peters.

Someone please make an argument that we are better than last years 7-9 squad. Feel free to give us a stellar draft if you like. Just make that argument. I wont speak for Op or HH, but for me, Id like to feel better about where we are at or could head coming out of the draft.

Im willing to listen.

Go!

Re: Forget the latest issue

Originally posted by EdwardsEra
    Forget Peters.

Someone please make an argument that we are better than last years 7-9 squad. Feel free to give us a stellar draft if you like. Just make that argument. I wont speak for Op or HH, but for me, Id like to feel better about where we are at or could head coming out of the draft.

Im willing to listen.

Go!
    We have started to cut away the deadwood (Dockery) and have plans to deal with other like Kelsay. There will be some cuts after the draft and training camps where if we need some veteran experience we will be able to.

We should be able to trade for a decent TE like Scheffler for the price of someone like Parrish. We have returners but no Tight End

The following draft will cover off a large number of our depth and I have highlighted players I would replace on the roster in brackets

#11 Everette Brown (Kelsay)
    #28 James Laurinaitis (Crowell)
    #42 Gerald Cadogan (Peters)
    #75 Sherrod Martin (Simpson)
    #110 Karl Urbik (Dockery)
    #121 Dan Gronkowksi (Schouman)
    #147 Vaughn Martin (McCargo)
    #183 Tony Fiammatta (Omon)
    #220 Drew Willy (Hamdam)

The training camp competitions will be big and the team will be better for it.

We've given Edwards a new weapon and a genuine way to avoid double coverage on Evans. We still have a very good secondary and a good running attack.

I think we could quite easily push every team in our conference all the way. I think 9 or 10 wins is not unfeasable.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by EdwardsEra
      Forget Peters.

Im willing to listen.

Go!
      Well this would help my state. I'll be serioulsy looking for anything at this point.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by kernowboy
        We have started to cut away the deadwood (Dockery) and have plans to deal with other like Kelsay. There will be some cuts after the draft and training camps where if we need some veteran experience we will be able to.

We should be able to trade for a decent TE like Scheffler for the price of someone like Parrish. We have returners but no Tight End

The following draft will cover off a large number of our depth and I have highlighted players I would replace on the roster in brackets

#220 Drew Willy (Hamdam)

We've given Edwards a new weapon and a genuine way to avoid double coverage on Evans. We still have a very good secondary and a good running attack.

I think we could quite easily push every team in our conference all the way. I think 9 or 10 wins is not unfeasable.
        Scheffler and that draft would potentially keep me on life support with this team.

Comment

• Mahdi
          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by kernowboy

#220 Drew Willy (Hamdam)

Lauranitis ruins that draft as does not drafting a TE in the first 3 rounds. Gronkowski is another Schouman, Fine, Euhus, Royal type TE. NO THANKS.
          Last edited by Mahdi; 04-20-2009, 09:18 AM.

Comment

• ddaryl
            Everything I post is sexual inuendo
            • Jan 2005

we're not going to be better then last year no matter how we draft....

We have Dick Jauron and his crew as coaches. (minus April)

A decent coach would have had us in the playoffs last year. A coaching change this year would have justify a small rebuild / salary purge project we have going on.

Overall I expect a 7-9 season at best....

the only thing that will make me feel better is a OL heavy draft. it may nolt jive with other views, but I want the best OL in football, because I beleive we can win if we can control the LOS on O.

Comment

• jdbillsfan
              • Oct 2002

TO

Comment

• Mahdi
                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by ddaryl

A decent coach would have had us in the playoffs last year. A coaching change this year would have justify a small rebuild / salary purge project we have going on.

the only thing that will make me feel better is a OL heavy draft. it may nolt jive with other views, but I want the best OL in football, because I beleive we can win if we can control the LOS on O.
                No coach would have gotten the Bills into the playoffs last year with Kelsay and Denney at DE in a cover 2 no less which requires everything those 2 are not and a weak WR corp.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by ddaryl

This is exactly why I can't even get excited becuase if the Bills are thinking they are drafting their 2009 playoff roster than either they are nuts or we are for believeing such non-sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Mahdi
                    Lauranitis ruins that draft as does not drafting a TE in the first 3 rounds. Gronkowski is another Schouman, Fine, Euhus, Royal type TE. NO THANKS.
                    We've taken Tony Scheffler instead of drafting a TE. Scheffler has a year remaining on his rookie deal but can provide us with as much performance as any second or third round rookie - he had 40 rec for 645yds and 3 TDs last year having had 49rec for 549yds and 5TDs the year before. Do you expect any rookie to do better?

If Scheffler demands too much at the end of the season, we can use our 2010 round 1 pick to grab Jermaine Gresham, Rob Gronkowski, or Dennis Pitta. All have a more balanced and better skill set bar Pettigrew in this years draft and Pettigrew would only be ranked 3rd.

For me Scheffler is a better option than Jared Cook at #42.

I found an interesting story about Laurinaitis on MSN Foxsports. The general feeling is he has been so good for so long that there is nothing left to do than to try to pick holes in his game that other prospects are not suffering. He would be a massive upgrade over Ellison.

As for Dan Gronkowski, compared to Euhus, Fine and Schouman he is taller, stronger and grew up a Buffalo fan. He is 3-4 inches taller than Fine and Schouman and 20lbs heavier. He is primarily a blocker to use in 2 TE sets and was won of the better competitors at the combine with scouts surprised at the fact he was much stronger and more athletic than realised. Everyone thought Kevin Boss wasn't much of a player coming out of Western Oregon - go ask Jeremy Shockey what he thinks of it as a player now.

Comment

• baalworship
                      • May 2003

Trent Edwards. If he plays like he did before the head injury we can be better than last year. If he does not play a lot better than we are looking at a top 5 pick.

Comment

• kgun12
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mahdi
                        Really, TE is that important to you? Name the last TE that put a team on it's back and carried them to a SB victory? I'll give you a hint, it was the first SB and he played for GB. The 2 best TE's in the game haven't been able to get their teams a sniff of the SB. Hell SD has had one of the best RB's to go with him, and mam for man SD is twice the team the bills are. Even in KC's hay day with Gonzalas it didn't help. The Bills have so many whole to fill this year that takin a TE in the first 5 rounds would be a joke.

And BTW SD pucked Gates off a delivery truck (UPS I think) to fill in for an injuried TE!
                        Retired Air Traffic Controller
                        USAF VETERAN
                        DAV

Comment

• Mahdi
                          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by kgun12
                          Really, TE is that important to you? Name the last TE that put a team on it's back and carried them to a SB victory? I'll give you a hint, it was the first SB and he played for GB. The 2 best TE's in the game haven't been able to get their teams a sniff of the SB. Hell SD has had one of the best RB's to go with him, and mam for man SD is twice the team the bills are. Even in KC's hay day with Gonzalas it didn't help. The Bills have so many whole to fill this year that takin a TE in the first 5 rounds would be a joke.

And BTW SD pucked Gates off a delivery truck (UPS I think) to fill in for an injuried TE!
                          TEs may not have won superbowls for a team but Witten, Gates, Sharpe, Gonzalez, Clarke, Daniels, Winslow etc. are key players in their offenses and one of the main reasons their teams are usually ranked in the top 10 in offense. The Bills offense has been horrible for years.

Forget Superbowl, I just hope our offense can crack the top 15 for once and a receiving TE such as those I mentioned can be major pieces to our O.

Comment

• DRELOVESBills
                            • Feb 2009

you guys can't put fine in the same category as royal because he was a rookie last year!! they didn't give fine many chances but when they did he did very well!!

Comment

• TigerJ
                              • Jul 2002

I need to see the draft before I could even think about making that argument. At the moment, we are clearly worse than last season, but it may not stay that way.
                              I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

Working...
                              X