X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nateodoms'bff
    • Dec 2008

Defense 1st.

So i've been looking at a lot of mock drafts, most of which have the Bills drafting offense.

As I see it, the least of the Bills problems is offense. They added Owens and Rhodes in the off season. They have a huge upgrade at Center (although this may be debated by guys that didn't watch him play last season, I did, and Hangartner is the real deal), and the left side of the line can't be worse than it was last season.

BY building a strong defense, especially one that takes away the run, the Bills have a better chance at making the playoffs than they did last season.

Its my opinion that the first 3 picks should be to the defense.

#11- BJ Raji
    #28 James Laurianitis
    #42 Louis Delmas

My reasoning is simple. Defense wins championships. Pittsburgh's offense was questionable all season. Baltimore has an embarrassing offense. Arizona made it to the Super Bowl because of their defense.

Against the Patriots, Dolphins and Jets, the Bills will face teams that historically grind it out with the run, then beat them deep once. Adding beef to the D-Line, an outstanding LB'er, and a true Safety, fills the biggest holes on this team.

While the argument can be made that the O-Line has bigger holes, my point is this. If you examine the depth at O-line, and compare it with the depth at the 3 positions I have the Bills drafting, there is a stark difference. Adding 3 quality starters on defense is the only way to keep this team competitive.
  • DrGraves
    • Mar 2008

Re: Defense 1st.

I have a legitimate concern for Trent Edwards safety. As of right now there is very very real chance that he will get killed and die on the playing field with the current line in front of him (if we didnt draft any linemen in the first 3 picks)

Comment

Originally posted by nateodoms'bff
      So i've been looking at a lot of mock drafts, most of which have the Bills drafting offense.

As I see it, the least of the Bills problems is offense. They added Owens and Rhodes in the off season. They have a huge upgrade at Center (although this may be debated by guys that didn't watch him play last season, I did, and Hangartner is the real deal), and the left side of the line can't be worse than it was last season.

BY building a strong defense, especially one that takes away the run, the Bills have a better chance at making the playoffs than they did last season.

#11- BJ Raji
      #28 James Laurianitis
      #42 Louis Delmas

My reasoning is simple. Defense wins championships. Pittsburgh's offense was questionable all season. Baltimore has an embarrassing offense. Arizona made it to the Super Bowl because of their defense.

Against the Patriots, Dolphins and Jets, the Bills will face teams that historically grind it out with the run, then beat them deep once. Adding beef to the D-Line, an outstanding LB'er, and a true Safety, fills the biggest holes on this team.

While the argument can be made that the O-Line has bigger holes, my point is this. If you examine the depth at O-line, and compare it with the depth at the 3 positions I have the Bills drafting, there is a stark difference. Adding 3 quality starters on defense is the only way to keep this team competitive.
      I like #28 but I think Raji won't fall to us, plus the problem on the DL is not the middle but the ends. Even with Raji alongside Stroud, Kelsay and Denney would struggle to get to the QB, so I'd draft Everette Brown with #11 as at least he will give the RT fits trying to contain him, opening up opportunities for the rest of the line and also the linebackers.

I rate Delmas but I think getting OL help is more important. At #42 I have Cadogan but I do think you are on the right track because at #75 I have gone for FS Sherrod Martin of Troy St who McKelvin has said good things of. I think at the least he will push Simpson to start from Day1 and allow Whitner to stay at SS where he can be pushed by Scott.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
        Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
        • May 2003

#11- BJ Raji
        #28 James Laurianitis
        #42 Louis Delmas

I'm not sure I agree with your 2nd and 3rd picks, and Raji probably won't be there at 11, but I agree with your philosophy. Without a pass rush, we are dead and buried.
        Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• nateodoms'bff
          • Dec 2008

I agree with that fear, but I think that the current players are capable enough to keep him healthy.

I like the idea of Bell at LT, Chambers at LG, Hangartner at C, Butler at RG, and Walker at RT.

That's strength, size, and cheap. Fits the mold of what the Bills are looking for. Is it a flashy line? No. Will they make us pull out hair out at times? Yes. Will they get the job done on game day? Absolutely.

Comment

• DrGraves
            • Mar 2008

I agree with that fear, but I think that the current players are capable enough to keep him healthy.

I like the idea of Bell at LT, Chambers at LG, Hangartner at C, Butler at RG, and Walker at RT.

That's strength, size, and cheap. Fits the mold of what the Bills are looking for. Is it a flashy line? No. Will they make us pull out hair out at times? Yes. Will they get the job done on game day? Absolutely.
            chambers and bell protecting the blind side is terrifying to me... but i hope you're right.

Comment

• nateodoms'bff
              • Dec 2008

The idea behind this defense is pass rush with schoebel, collapse the pocket and contain the run with Kelsay and the Tackles.

Kelsay is a waste. But Ellis could surprise people this season. Adding a guy like Raji, would at least double teams on both Stroud and Raji, leaving whatever ends make the team, in one on one situations. I also dont think that any of the DE's in this years draft are a good fit for this team.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                • May 2003

Originally posted by DrGraves
                chambers and bell protecting the blind side is terrifying to me... but i hope you're right.
                Peters and Dockery were pretty terrifying, too. The fact that they were "proven" veterans didn't really make them better.
                Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• nateodoms'bff
                  • Dec 2008

It cant be any worse than it was last season. Thats my thinking. With an entire offseason to work together, learn the asignments, and all be playing with something to prove, I think goes a long way.

Players need to be motivated by something other than a desire to win. Personal attacks on their abilities by the media and fans, can sometimes be that motivating factor. The powerful desire to prove others wrong.

Comment

• Oaf
                    Do you read what you write?
                    • Jun 2007

Right now our front 7 is pathetic compared to our next door neighbors. Consecutive picks at LB, DE, and DT would bring us up to that level talent-wise at the least. I'm one of the few that's comfortable at T and we can get our guard in the 3rd or maybe in the 2nd if we want to hold off on DT.

Obviously, Waters for a 4th+ would take care of a lot of things and we can focus on front 7, one T prospect, and maybe a TE.

Comment

• ddaryl
                      Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                      • Jan 2005

I am ok with last years D even though it wasn't the greatest. They still only allowed about 20 points a game. OUr O barely scored 20 points a game

I am not OK with a non dominating O with Evans and Owens as WR's

the only way our O will work in 2009 is if Trent has plenty of time to let down field plays develope, that can only happen if our OL is in much better shape then it is now.

I am purely on the OL train... and I do not have faith in our exisitng players to field 5 OL that will dominate the LOS. We have mostly depth players on the roster. We need upgrades over our depth, not depth behind our depth.

So I would liek us to use at least on eof our 1st rd picks on an OL. Hopefully we'll trade and bring in a non depth OL to help us.
                      Last edited by ddaryl; 04-20-2009, 11:28 AM.

Comment

• ddaryl
                        Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                        • Jan 2005

How in the hell can you like the idea of Bell at LT when you have never even seen him play LT nor has he played OL in the NFL enough to even determine if he can play as a starter. Bell is a complete crapshoot and way to risky for us to not draft a top T.

that OL has 3 depth players and 2 starters on it... I sincerely hope the Bill bring in a few OL to compete for starting positions because if we are placing our hopes on your formation we're screwed IMHO

It cant be any worse than it was last season. Thats my thinking. With an entire offseason to work together, learn the asignments, and all be playing with something to prove, I think goes a long way.

are you sure... and not ot mention the fact that we need a major upgrade over last year, NOT STATUS QUO
                        Last edited by ddaryl; 04-20-2009, 11:32 AM.

Comment

• seanbillsfan
                          • May 2007

Is Fitz a lefty? Maybe after Edwards get his head taken off we will have a better chance?

Comment

Nah he's right handed.

A free agent we should be looking at is Pete Kendall. He may be 36 but there is a little gas in the tank and he has been a better than average LG at the Seahawks, Jets, and Redskins.

If we started a youngster at LT, he'd make the task a hell of a lot easier.

Comment

• DrGraves
                              • Mar 2008

We do need a Defensive End Big Time though:

Kelsay + Denney combined for 6 sacks last year.

My grandma could take down the QB more often that that...

Comment

Working...
                              X