PDA

View Full Version : Defense 1st.

nateodoms'bff
04-20-2009, 10:42 AM
So i've been looking at a lot of mock drafts, most of which have the Bills drafting offense.

As I see it, the least of the Bills problems is offense. They added Owens and Rhodes in the off season. They have a huge upgrade at Center (although this may be debated by guys that didn't watch him play last season, I did, and Hangartner is the real deal), and the left side of the line can't be worse than it was last season.

BY building a strong defense, especially one that takes away the run, the Bills have a better chance at making the playoffs than they did last season.

Its my opinion that the first 3 picks should be to the defense.

#11- BJ Raji
#28 James Laurianitis
#42 Louis Delmas

My reasoning is simple. Defense wins championships. Pittsburgh's offense was questionable all season. Baltimore has an embarrassing offense. Arizona made it to the Super Bowl because of their defense.

Against the Patriots, Dolphins and Jets, the Bills will face teams that historically grind it out with the run, then beat them deep once. Adding beef to the D-Line, an outstanding LB'er, and a true Safety, fills the biggest holes on this team.

While the argument can be made that the O-Line has bigger holes, my point is this. If you examine the depth at O-line, and compare it with the depth at the 3 positions I have the Bills drafting, there is a stark difference. Adding 3 quality starters on defense is the only way to keep this team competitive.

DrGraves
04-20-2009, 10:47 AM
I have a legitimate concern for Trent Edwards safety. As of right now there is very very real chance that he will get killed and die on the playing field with the current line in front of him (if we didnt draft any linemen in the first 3 picks)

kernowboy
04-20-2009, 10:49 AM
So i've been looking at a lot of mock drafts, most of which have the Bills drafting offense.

As I see it, the least of the Bills problems is offense. They added Owens and Rhodes in the off season. They have a huge upgrade at Center (although this may be debated by guys that didn't watch him play last season, I did, and Hangartner is the real deal), and the left side of the line can't be worse than it was last season.

BY building a strong defense, especially one that takes away the run, the Bills have a better chance at making the playoffs than they did last season.

#11- BJ Raji
#28 James Laurianitis
#42 Louis Delmas

My reasoning is simple. Defense wins championships. Pittsburgh's offense was questionable all season. Baltimore has an embarrassing offense. Arizona made it to the Super Bowl because of their defense.

Against the Patriots, Dolphins and Jets, the Bills will face teams that historically grind it out with the run, then beat them deep once. Adding beef to the D-Line, an outstanding LB'er, and a true Safety, fills the biggest holes on this team.

While the argument can be made that the O-Line has bigger holes, my point is this. If you examine the depth at O-line, and compare it with the depth at the 3 positions I have the Bills drafting, there is a stark difference. Adding 3 quality starters on defense is the only way to keep this team competitive.

I like #28 but I think Raji won't fall to us, plus the problem on the DL is not the middle but the ends. Even with Raji alongside Stroud, Kelsay and Denney would struggle to get to the QB, so I'd draft Everette Brown with #11 as at least he will give the RT fits trying to contain him, opening up opportunities for the rest of the line and also the linebackers.

I rate Delmas but I think getting OL help is more important. At #42 I have Cadogan but I do think you are on the right track because at #75 I have gone for FS Sherrod Martin of Troy St who McKelvin has said good things of. I think at the least he will push Simpson to start from Day1 and allow Whitner to stay at SS where he can be pushed by Scott.

Jan Reimers
04-20-2009, 10:52 AM

#11- BJ Raji
#28 James Laurianitis
#42 Louis Delmas

I'm not sure I agree with your 2nd and 3rd picks, and Raji probably won't be there at 11, but I agree with your philosophy. Without a pass rush, we are dead and buried.

nateodoms'bff
04-20-2009, 10:52 AM
I agree with that fear, but I think that the current players are capable enough to keep him healthy.

I like the idea of Bell at LT, Chambers at LG, Hangartner at C, Butler at RG, and Walker at RT.

That's strength, size, and cheap. Fits the mold of what the Bills are looking for. Is it a flashy line? No. Will they make us pull out hair out at times? Yes. Will they get the job done on game day? Absolutely.

DrGraves
04-20-2009, 10:55 AM
I agree with that fear, but I think that the current players are capable enough to keep him healthy.

I like the idea of Bell at LT, Chambers at LG, Hangartner at C, Butler at RG, and Walker at RT.

That's strength, size, and cheap. Fits the mold of what the Bills are looking for. Is it a flashy line? No. Will they make us pull out hair out at times? Yes. Will they get the job done on game day? Absolutely.

chambers and bell protecting the blind side is terrifying to me... but i hope you're right.

nateodoms'bff
04-20-2009, 10:55 AM
The idea behind this defense is pass rush with schoebel, collapse the pocket and contain the run with Kelsay and the Tackles.

Kelsay is a waste. But Ellis could surprise people this season. Adding a guy like Raji, would at least double teams on both Stroud and Raji, leaving whatever ends make the team, in one on one situations. I also dont think that any of the DE's in this years draft are a good fit for this team.

Jan Reimers
04-20-2009, 10:57 AM
chambers and bell protecting the blind side is terrifying to me... but i hope you're right.
Peters and Dockery were pretty terrifying, too. The fact that they were "proven" veterans didn't really make them better.

nateodoms'bff
04-20-2009, 10:58 AM

It cant be any worse than it was last season. Thats my thinking. With an entire offseason to work together, learn the asignments, and all be playing with something to prove, I think goes a long way.

Players need to be motivated by something other than a desire to win. Personal attacks on their abilities by the media and fans, can sometimes be that motivating factor. The powerful desire to prove others wrong.

Oaf
04-20-2009, 11:05 AM
Right now our front 7 is pathetic compared to our next door neighbors. Consecutive picks at LB, DE, and DT would bring us up to that level talent-wise at the least. I'm one of the few that's comfortable at T and we can get our guard in the 3rd or maybe in the 2nd if we want to hold off on DT.

Obviously, Waters for a 4th+ would take care of a lot of things and we can focus on front 7, one T prospect, and maybe a TE.

ddaryl
04-20-2009, 11:25 AM
I am ok with last years D even though it wasn't the greatest. They still only allowed about 20 points a game. OUr O barely scored 20 points a game

I am not OK with a non dominating O with Evans and Owens as WR's

the only way our O will work in 2009 is if Trent has plenty of time to let down field plays develope, that can only happen if our OL is in much better shape then it is now.

I am purely on the OL train... and I do not have faith in our exisitng players to field 5 OL that will dominate the LOS. We have mostly depth players on the roster. We need upgrades over our depth, not depth behind our depth.

So I would liek us to use at least on eof our 1st rd picks on an OL. Hopefully we'll trade and bring in a non depth OL to help us.

ddaryl
04-20-2009, 11:31 AM

How in the hell can you like the idea of Bell at LT when you have never even seen him play LT nor has he played OL in the NFL enough to even determine if he can play as a starter. Bell is a complete crapshoot and way to risky for us to not draft a top T.

that OL has 3 depth players and 2 starters on it... I sincerely hope the Bill bring in a few OL to compete for starting positions because if we are placing our hopes on your formation we're screwed IMHO

It cant be any worse than it was last season. Thats my thinking. With an entire offseason to work together, learn the asignments, and all be playing with something to prove, I think goes a long way.

are you sure... and not ot mention the fact that we need a major upgrade over last year, NOT STATUS QUO

seanbillsfan
04-20-2009, 11:37 AM
Is Fitz a lefty? Maybe after Edwards get his head taken off we will have a better chance?:stretcher

kernowboy
04-20-2009, 11:39 AM
Nah he's right handed.

A free agent we should be looking at is Pete Kendall. He may be 36 but there is a little gas in the tank and he has been a better than average LG at the Seahawks, Jets, and Redskins.

If we started a youngster at LT, he'd make the task a hell of a lot easier.

DrGraves
04-20-2009, 11:46 AM
We do need a Defensive End Big Time though:

Kelsay + Denney combined for 6 sacks last year.

My grandma could take down the QB more often that that...

Oaf
04-20-2009, 11:49 AM
Nah he's right handed.

A free agent we should be looking at is Pete Kendall. He may be 36 but there is a little gas in the tank and he has been a better than average LG at the Seahawks, Jets, and Redskins.

If we started a youngster at LT, he'd make the task a hell of a lot easier.
We didn't want him LAST time he was cut, why would we want him NOW two years later after he was cut by a div rival?

kid mickey
04-20-2009, 12:05 PM
If the Bills don't hit the offensive line really hard with the early picks I am really going to question this FO. I wouldn't care if they got Everette Brown at 11. That wouldn't offset the major need at OT. The Bills honestly can't create two holes on the OL and not do something about it. I mean do the Bills want Edwards career to end prematurely? I don't think so. The kid will have no time to throw the ball at all. I have to believe that they think that they can get two solid starters in this draft.

madness
04-20-2009, 12:22 PM
If Bell gets a chance to start, he will probably start @ RT just like Peters did when he broke into the starting lineup.

Even though the pass rush was non-existent, I feel it's not the biggest problem. Although improving from the year before, our run defense is near the bottom of the league. Want proof that this is the bigger issue? Our pass defense ranked in the top 15 without a pass rush. Teams rarely had to test our secondary since they could run on us at will.

It's unlikely that Raji falls to 11 but I see him as a player that could help in both areas. Another dominate force in the middle will not only help stop the run but add more pressure up the middle on passing plays. Ellison is also another liability that contributes to both woes so hopefully we an upgrade that position as well. Now that Crowell is gone, I'd also like to see Mitchell moved to strong-side.

kid mickey
04-20-2009, 12:27 PM
You have huge holes at LT and LG. If you don't address these needs than Evans, Owens and Reed will never get the ball. Marshawn, Rhodes, and Jackson won't be able to run the ball. The offense will be putrid and no matter how good this defense is we won't win games because the offense couldn't put up any points.

alohabillsfan
04-20-2009, 12:38 PM
I think our offense was more of a liability than the defense, with that said...
Raji does not make it past Green Bay, they are switching to the 3-4 and Raji, will play the NT.

Needs, OT, OG/C,
Upgrades- OLB, DE, TE

RD1-11-OT Andre Smith Alabama
RD1-28 DE Lawrence Sidbury--Richmond
RD2-42 OLB Clint Sintim Virginia
RD3-75 G Andy Levitre Oregon State
RD4-110 C A.Q. Shipley--Penn State
RD4-121 TE Clint Ingram--UF
RD5-147 SS Otis Wiley--Michigan

kernowboy
04-20-2009, 01:26 PM
We didn't want him LAST time he was cut, why would we want him NOW two years later after he was cut by a div rival?

This is a incorrect statement

Derrick Dockery was signed as a UFA on March 23rd, 2007.

Pete Kendall was never cut by the Jets, he was traded to the Redskins on August 23rd, 2007 for a conditional pick (5th in 2008, or 4th in 2009)

We could not have signed Kendall because he was never a free agent but traded by the team he was under contract to by which time we'd already signed Dockery.

justasportsfan
04-20-2009, 01:36 PM
I have a legitimate concern for Trent Edwards safety. As of right now there is very very real chance that he will get killed and die on the playing field with the current line in front of him (if we didnt draft any linemen in the first 3 picks)
thats why we brought in Rhodes. Trent is gonna have to hand the rb's the ball while TO ,Reed and Evans block all day . I'm not wooried either, we have Fitz. He's smart..... which means he'll hand the ball off too. :ill: