PDA

View Full Version : James Laurinaitis @ #28

kernowboy
04-20-2009, 11:27 AM
Lost in the panic of the Peters trade, the world is caving in, the end is nigh etc etc has been lost that we are still planning to start Ellison at WLB.

Now don't get me wrong, I like Ellison and he was a nice 6th rounder but for me he is a starter in an injury crisis, not a guy you go with from the start. In defence of the Bills the free agency class was very mediocre but coming into the draft we now need to seriously address this. Which brings me to James Laurinaitis.

<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> //document.getElementById('number_of_comments').innerHTML = commentCount+" Comments"; </SCRIPT><!-- // Story Content // --><SCRIPT> if(fanid.length > 0 && typeof(nflDefaultLeague)!= "undefined") { leagueId = nflDefaultLeague; //find teamId of default league (if exists) for(var i=0; i < teamsInfo.length; i++){ if(teamsInfo[i][4] == leagueId){ defaultTeamId = teamsInfo[i][0]; } } var fantasyLeaguePlayerJsPath = 'http://msn.foxsports.com' + '/nugget/200002_' + leagueId + '|||' + fanid; } </SCRIPT>Point No. 1: Ohio State linebacker James Laurinaitis has simply been too good for too long

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9472206/7-Points:-Don't-overlook-OSU's-Laurinaitis-

Lost in the stampede to draft a DE and LT is the need to upgrade in the LB Corps.

Laurinaitis started off at SLB, and although he has been the MLB with the Buckeyes many think he can play WLB too. Don't forget Kawika Mitchell played WLB for the first time ever for the NYG and he didn't do too badly. We could swap Mitchell back there, or start Laurinaitis there, and we'd get a huge upgrade.

The only think he needs is a nickname as spelling his name is a pain. Otherwise I would be delighted to hear:

'With the 28th pick the Buffalo Bills draft James Laurinaitis'

alohabillsfan
04-20-2009, 11:30 AM
nope don't want him...

seanbillsfan
04-20-2009, 11:31 AM
I would love to get Clint Sintim with that pick but i would be ok with Laurinaitis.

DrGraves
04-20-2009, 11:33 AM
Poz and Laurinatis would certainly be an interesting duo.

I would like to take this opportunity to say. GO PSU!

kernowboy
04-20-2009, 11:36 AM
I think Sintim is a 3-4 DE/OLB so the transition to a 4-3 OLB role would be hard for him initially.

For me Laurinaitis is more ready from Day1 to take over.

I also think that if we occasionally showed a 3-4 look he'd pair well with Posluzny in the middle with Brown and Mitchell in the DE/OLB roles getting at the QB.

psubills62
04-20-2009, 11:48 AM
No thank you. We already have too many average, rack-up-tackles defensive players that don't do much of anything as game-changers.

Saratoga Slim
04-20-2009, 11:58 AM
No thank you. We already have too many average, rack-up-tackles defensive players that don't do much of anything as game-changers.

I like Laurinitis but am inclined to agree. If he's there in the 2nd, great. But the first is a stretch I think.

psubills62
04-20-2009, 12:05 PM
I like Laurinitis but am inclined to agree. If he's there in the 2nd, great. But the first is a stretch I think.

Yeah, I guess I wouldn't mind him too much in the second. It's just that every time I watched him, he was either getting run over or getting tackles by piling on. There were some games when he seemed absolutely invisible, and I don't think it's a good thing that as he grew older, he really started disappearing in msot big games (PSU, USC, Texas last year). I personally never saw any game-changing plays from the guy.

FlyingDutchman
04-20-2009, 12:43 PM
Clay Mathews Jr in the second!

Mahdi
04-20-2009, 12:45 PM
Lost in the panic of the Peters trade, the world is caving in, the end is nigh etc etc has been lost that we are still planning to start Ellison at WLB.

Now don't get me wrong, I like Ellison and he was a nice 6th rounder but for me he is a starter in an injury crisis, not a guy you go with from the start. In defence of the Bills the free agency class was very mediocre but coming into the draft we now need to seriously address this. Which brings me to James Laurinaitis.

<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> //document.getElementById('number_of_comments').innerHTML = commentCount+" Comments"; </SCRIPT><!-- // Story Content // --><SCRIPT> if(fanid.length > 0 && typeof(nflDefaultLeague)!= "undefined") { leagueId = nflDefaultLeague; //find teamId of default league (if exists) for(var i=0; i < teamsInfo.length; i++){ if(teamsInfo[i][4] == leagueId){ defaultTeamId = teamsInfo[i][0]; } } var fantasyLeaguePlayerJsPath = 'http://msn.foxsports.com' + '/nugget/200002_' + leagueId + '|||' + fanid; } </SCRIPT>Point No. 1: Ohio State linebacker James Laurinaitis has simply been too good for too long

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9472206/7-Points:-Don't-overlook-OSU's-Laurinaitis-

Lost in the stampede to draft a DE and LT is the need to upgrade in the LB Corps.

Laurinaitis started off at SLB, and although he has been the MLB with the Buckeyes many think he can play WLB too. Don't forget Kawika Mitchell played WLB for the first time ever for the NYG and he didn't do too badly. We could swap Mitchell back there, or start Laurinaitis there, and we'd get a huge upgrade.

The only think he needs is a nickname as spelling his name is a pain. Otherwise I would be delighted to hear:

'With the 28th pick the Buffalo Bills draft James Laurinaitis'
No thanks. OLBs are a dime a dozen. Unless its Aaron Curry there's no point burning a 1st rounder on one.

OL and DL only in the first round.

kid mickey
04-20-2009, 12:48 PM
I like Laurinaitis, problem is he is a Mike backer. I don't know if he could play Will or Sam. He is good don't get me wrong, but there are other guys like Marcus Freeman who fill the Sam(Will) spot better. I would rather go with a guy who projects to the position instead of having to move Poz outside, because Poz isn't fast enough to play outside and I don't think Laurinaitis is either.

kernowboy
04-20-2009, 01:17 PM
Laurinaitis started his career at SAM but got moved to MIKE when AJ Hawk got drafted. Some feel he has the coverage skills to be the WILL backer.

Also Mitchell was signed to be the WILL backer but got shifted to SAM when Crowell went down. I think we can go with Laurinaitis at SAM, Poz at MIKE and Mitchell at WILL.

kid mickey
04-20-2009, 02:01 PM
No I don't think this is a good idea. He is not fast enough to play Will or Sam. He is a Mike backer through and through. If he is around in round two, maybe. I love how you are one of the biggest supporters of getting defense early when our biggest concerns are on offense. You are just one of those guys who I really don't respect. While you name solid players, you forget what is needed the most. Which in turn equals just how dumb your posts are.

Mahdi
04-20-2009, 02:03 PM
Laurinaitis started his career at SAM but got moved to MIKE when AJ Hawk got drafted. Some feel he has the coverage skills to be the WILL backer.

Also Mitchell was signed to be the WILL backer but got shifted to SAM when Crowell went down. I think we can go with Laurinaitis at SAM, Poz at MIKE and Mitchell at WILL.
Mitchell plays WILL not SAM. He played the whole season at WILL. Ellison was the SAM.

kernowboy
04-20-2009, 02:04 PM
No I don't think this is a good idea. He is not fast enough to play Will or Sam. He is a Mike backer through and through. If he is around in round two, maybe. I love how you are one of the biggest supporters of getting defense early when our biggest concerns are on offense. You are just one of those guys who I really don't respect. While you name solid players, you forget what is needed the most. Which in turn equals just how dumb your posts are.

And you don't seem to realise that its defences that win games and championships.

Look at all of the recent top teams - they have had excellent defences. 14th wins you nothing.

You have too much concern about the OL. If our defence cannot get the opposition QB off the field, it is irrelevant.

Which in turn equals just how dumb your posts are :)

Oaf
04-20-2009, 02:06 PM
No thanks. OLBs are a dime a dozen. Unless its Aaron Curry there's no point burning a 1st rounder on one.

OL and DL only in the first round.
Patrick Willis, Keith Rivers, Jerod Mayo? You take a look at the biggest defensive playmaking rookies drafted in the first round last few years and the LBs have made the biggest impact over rookie DLs and DBs. A playmaker out of the gates is what we need badly and that's why we need to draft an LB in the first two picks. Give Ellis a chance to develop.

Oaf
04-20-2009, 02:09 PM

No need for that.

If we draft talent to have a dominant front 7 (LB, DE, DT) it will make up deficiencies amongst our Oline (which really won't be worse off than last year anyways).

alohabillsfan
04-20-2009, 02:09 PM
And you don't seem to realise that its defences that win games and championships.

Look at all of the recent top teams - they have had excellent defences. 14th wins you nothing.

You have too much concern about the OL. If our defence cannot get the opposition QB off the field, it is irrelevant.

ROFLMFAO! IF our QB leaves the field on a gurney then....I hope our mighty defense can score for us...
Talk about dumb...:cp:

kernowboy
04-20-2009, 02:12 PM
ROFLMFAO! IF our QB leaves the field on a gurney then....I hope our mighty defense can score for us...
Talk about dumb...:cp:

He has to first get on the field

I have been saying the pick at #42 will be more than adequate to keep him off the gurney

KidMickey has a raging hard-on for Oher and Andre Smith that he's suffering from a lack of oxygen to the brain

kid mickey
04-20-2009, 02:24 PM
Your right I do. I absolutely would be thrilled with the idea that the Bills make a smart choice by getting Andre Smith or Michael Oher. Absolutely correct. Ding ding ding. I personally think that the defense needs role players. Not starters. If they need a starter any where it is at OLB not DE. Funny thing is they can get a solid starter at OLB in the third round. The team needs starters on the OL. I think I would take my chances with Oher or Smith any day of the effing week over Everette Brown, who by the way could be around at pick 28.

Mahdi
04-20-2009, 02:30 PM
Patrick Willis, Keith Rivers, Jerod Mayo? You take a look at the biggest defensive playmaking rookies drafted in the first round last few years and the LBs have made the biggest impact over rookie DLs and DBs. A playmaker out of the gates is what we need badly and that's why we need to draft an LB in the first two picks. Give Ellis a chance to develop.
Right, LBs do have the biggest impact because it is not a difficult transition. However when you look back at the draft years from now it will be the OL and DL first round picks that will be the key ones.

Second, Willis and Mayo are ILBs not OLBs.

Third, names like AJ Hawk, Ernie Sims, Chad Greenway, Lavar Arrington, DJ Williams will all be seen as mistakes considering the linemen they passed on to take them.

kid mickey
04-20-2009, 02:34 PM
Right, LBs do have the biggest impact because it is not a difficult transition. However when you look back at the draft years from now it will be the OL and DL first round picks that will be the key ones.

Second, Willis and Mayo are ILBs not OLBs.

Third, names like AJ Hawk, Ernie Sims, Chad Greenway, Lavar Arrington, DJ Williams will all be seen as mistakes considering the linemen they passed on to take them.

Absolutely correct. Somebody who gets it.

kernowboy
04-20-2009, 02:43 PM
Everette Brown around at #28 shows how little you know about football.

The team have had to deal with multiple character issues recently so why would they ask for more with Andre Smith?

and we're not talking about taking an LB in the top10 or top20, we're talking about a LB at the bottom of the 1st round.

kid mickey
04-20-2009, 03:18 PM
Everette Brown around at #28 shows how little you know about football.

The team have had to deal with multiple character issues recently so why would they ask for more with Andre Smith?

and we're not talking about taking an LB in the top10 or top20, we're talking about a LB at the bottom of the 1st round.

Actually there are some pundits that have him falling out of round 1. I don't think its likely. Saying that it could happen. Tell me why most scouts don't think he is in the top 20 on most boards? You get back to me when you find him in the top 20 in 5 big boards.

kernowboy
04-20-2009, 03:24 PM
Actually there are some pundits that have him falling out of round 1. I don't think its likely. Saying that it could happen. Tell me why most scouts don't think he is in the top 20 on most boards? You get back to me when you find him in the top 20 in 5 big boards.

Site your source that he's falling out of the top round.

kid mickey
04-20-2009, 03:24 PM

Okay for the benefit of all readers I will not delete this post. I made a bad argument right here. I got a little heated and made a statement that really can't be determined because we cannot determine what all 32 teams boards look like. I apologize for these statements.

kid mickey
04-20-2009, 03:26 PM
Mike Mayock and Mel Kiper do seem to think that he could as early as 9 to Green Bay and Late as 31 to Arizona.

nateodoms'bff
04-20-2009, 03:48 PM
Okay for the benefit of all readers I will not delete this post. I made a bad argument right here. I got a little heated and made a statement that really can't be determined because we cannot determine what all 32 teams boards look like. I apologize for these statements.

First, can I just say, that I totally applaud this post. We all like to puff our chest on here, like our opinions matter. Its part of the fun of talking sports. But you manned up and apologized for taking it to far. Outlandish statements are one of the things that make this place great. But admitting fault deserves respect....

But I have to strongly disagree with your position of drafting OL. The biggest problem the Bills have as a team, is there inability to stop the run. Our pass rush may not generate enough sacks, but it does apply pressure to the QB, and forces bad throws into the secondary, which is a real strength.

Drafting laurinaitis at #28 and Raji at #11, makes this defense a top 5 defense. Both of these players can be had, with quality players in the 2nd round.

There is no guarantee that Oher or Smith will be any better than Bell at the LT. As another poster pointed out, Bell has had the advantage of working with pros for the past year, while both Oher and Smith are young, and have zero proffessional experience. I am not opposed to drafting a C that can play G in the second. But the inability to consistently stop the run, demands drafting defense in the first round.

kernowboy
04-20-2009, 03:51 PM

I completely agree and wish to applaud this post as well.

Kudos to you.

Mahdi
04-20-2009, 03:52 PM
Site your source that he's falling out of the top round.
Actually I did hear that on NFLN. They said because Brown is shorter than most teams thought at 6'1 1/2 instead of 6'4, that 3-4 teams are no longer interested.

I call BS though, probably just a smokescreen. James Harrison is like 6'0 even. The closer to the draft we get the more BS will come out.

nateodoms'bff
04-20-2009, 03:59 PM
I just read that he is the son of Animal from the Road Warriors! If I wasn't before, I'm sold now.

If the Bills draft him, I guarantee I will paint my face in Bills colors in the vein of Road Warrior Animal.

Amazing.

kernowboy
04-20-2009, 04:27 PM
I just read that he is the son of Animal from the Road Warriors! If I wasn't before, I'm sold now.

If the Bills draft him, I guarantee I will paint my face in Bills colors in the vein of Road Warrior Animal.

Amazing.

Yes. Its true.

kernowboy
04-20-2009, 04:29 PM
And that's it

The nickname: 'ANIMAL'

and the Posluzny - Mitchell - Laurinaitis unit: 'THE LEGION OF DOOM'

Classic

kernowboy
04-20-2009, 04:35 PM
And interestingly, the guys from Buckeye Scouting, the Buckeyes sport blog feel that based on his footballing intelligence and physical skills, his best position in the NFL will be Weakside Linebacker

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2009/4/15/838820/rumblings-scouting-report-ohio

Philagape
04-20-2009, 04:41 PM
The O-line and pass rush are in such dire shape that it's hard to argue against taking either early. It's a circular argument: The O can't get on the field if the D can't force turnovers and stop drives, and the O can't stay on the field without a line, which will make the D tired and without turnover opportunities, like we've seen so many times before. It's not worth arguing over. Both sides are on life support.

kid mickey
04-20-2009, 08:56 PM
Adamantly on the Michael Oher and Alex Mack train!!!

SeatownBillsFan21
04-20-2009, 11:56 PM
Clay Mathews with our second pick where ever that might be.

Bmax
04-21-2009, 07:07 AM
Actually Sintim by most scouts accounts is either a 3-4 rush guy or a 4-3 sam..His ability to rush the passer give him the edge of the Lauranitus.

Clint Sintim, Virginia
Height: 6-3. Weight: 253.
Projected Projected 40 Time: 4.66.
Combine 40 Time: 4.80.
Benchx225: . Vertical: .
Projected Round (2009): 2.
12/6/08: Playing rush linebacker in the 3-4, Clint Sintim has been a pass-rushing machine, owning 12.5 TFL and 11 sacks in 10 games. He can also play strongside linebacker in the 4-3.

5/16/08: Clint Sintim should be able to play strongside or middle linebacker at the next level. After struggling through injuries in 2006, Sintim had an outstanding junior campaign. One more great season, and we could be talking second round.

Bmax

tampabay25690
04-21-2009, 07:13 AM
Im not big on the guy at all..
Look at any big games he played, he was pushed around.
He plays in the Big 10 where Ohio St has more cupcakes on there schedule then most teams.....
I really don't care for the guy at all maybe a 2nd rounder but I dont think he is worth a 1st..

ryjam282
04-21-2009, 07:50 AM

Yeah, what he said. No thanks, he is very average.