X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dr. Pepper
    • Apr 2008

Our LBs

Why are a lot of people saying linebackers are a big area of weakness? I know we lost Crowell and Ellison isn't exactly starter worthy, but we have Poz and Mitchell. Are Poz and Mitchell no good? Mitchell single-handedly won us the San Diego game last season, and Poz is still very young. I only ask because I'm genuinely curious.... I'm a fan but I don't know every in and out of the game, so maybe someone can tell me why we're in trouble at LB. Do they rotate in and out of the game a lot causing a need for more depth? If they play most of the game, I'd think Poz and Mitchell, plus a draft pick in the 2nd round (after DE and OT for our first 2) would make us decent, with Ellison as backup. Is it too much to ask a rookie to start?
  • DrGraves
    • Mar 2008

Re: Our LBs

Personally I want someone who is going to eat up running backs at the line of scrimmage, not 10 yards down field. I think we are missing that pop.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
      Pinkerton's son
      • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Dr. Pepper
      Why are a lot of people saying linebackers are a big area of weakness? I know we lost Crowell and Ellison isn't exactly starter worthy, but we have Poz and Mitchell. Are Poz and Mitchell no good? Mitchell single-handedly won us the San Diego game last season, and Poz is still very young. I only ask because I'm genuinely curious.... I'm a fan but I don't know every in and out of the game, so maybe someone can tell me why we're in trouble at LB. Do they rotate in and out of the game a lot causing a need for more depth? If they play most of the game, I'd think Poz and Mitchell, plus a draft pick in the 2nd round (after DE and OT for our first 2) would make us decent, with Ellison as backup. Is it too much to ask a rookie to start?
      thats the point - as of right now, we dont have a WLB worthy of starting. Hopefully we will address it, in one way or another.

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

Poz gets swallowed up on blockers in the running game- he's absolutely terrible at shedding blocks. In addition, the T2 defense requires a deep drop from the MLB, and Poz doesn't really turn his hips well, which keeps him from making a break on the ball or staying with potential receivers. He'd be better off as a WLB. Now, he is young and he may improve, but as of right now, there are some major flaws in his game.

Mitchell is feast-or-famine. He'll get burned on two or three plays, then come up with a huge INT. Most of the time he's invisible, but he lives off of coming up with big plays. He's just not consistent enough.

Ellison is just terrible. Despite their flaws, Poz and Mitchell are serviceable and there is no immediate need to replace them. Ellison, on the other hand, is just completely irrelevant.
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• GreedoII
          • Aug 2007

The draft will fix this problem....stop crying

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by GreedoII
            hahahahaha.....

Every year we go into the draft saying that, and ever year we end up 7-9. Draft picks are for the long term, not the short term.
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• madness
              • Apr 2003

I just finished posting about our LB's in another thread and basically two things need to happen. Ellison needs to be upgraded and Mitchell needs slide over to Crowell's spot.

Poz isn't moving unless something drastic happens. In his first full year, he was above average in "QB'ing" the D and made excellent game time adjustments. In his own words, he truly was a half step from making a bunch of big plays and that will happen as the game slows down for him. He showed that he still has a great nose for the ball and was probably our best player in run support as most of his stops came within three yards of the LOS.

Poz's season is actually quite comparable to another young LB within the division who who came up almost empty in big play stats in his first full year. He had trouble shedding blocks and struggled in coverage while adapting the speed of the NFL but was also so close to turning the corner in all those areas. That player won Defensive Rookie of the Year.

Comment

• ddaryl
                Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                • Jan 2005

we have some young LB's on the roster that we will all be watching this summer and preseason that are coming off IR last year. This will shore up our depth.

But a stud OLB to replace Ellison would make our D much better, and take pressure off of Poz and Mitchell.

However DL is still more improtant then LB if a choice must be made.

Comment

• ddaryl
                  Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                  • Jan 2005

Originally posted by GreedoII
                  like mentioned above ... we've been saying that for almost 10 years now..

Comment

Working...
                  X