PDA

View Full Version : Rhodes looking to make early impact

The Spaz
04-20-2009, 03:27 PM
NFL coaches always say they don’t want to have any player on their roster that doesn’t want to be a starter. The Bills coaching staff doesn’t have to worry about the mindset of Dominic Rhodes, who despite having never been a starter hasn’t let that affect his approach to the game.

“Always,” said Rhodes when asked if he expects to start. “I don’t even look at myself ever in any situation as a backup. My mindset is always that the opportunity is there. I compete to start. I don’t go anywhere trying to sit on the bench. That’s not my thing. I want to stay on the field and play and compete. That’s why I play this game. I feel as soon as I put on my cleats for me it’s time to go out there and compete and try to be a starter.”

Rhodes certainly has respect for Marshawn Lynch’s game as well as that of Fred Jackson having watched Bills game tape just before addressing the media Monday on the heels of signing with Buffalo late last week.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/rhodes-looking-to-make-early-impact/dbd80576-dc27-4bbf-891c-bf6d732ba679

Jan Reimers
04-20-2009, 03:31 PM
Good for him. If a guy doesn't want to start, and doesn't compete with everything he has, I don't want him.

northernbillfan
04-20-2009, 03:46 PM
Blly Joe Tolliver comes to mind.

Everyone needs to preform their best regardless of the station in life. If you do everything second best and strive for being an also ran, that's all you will ever be.

Good to hear Rhodes is going out for the number one spot.

T-Long
04-20-2009, 03:52 PM
He will be our starter against NE

justasportsfan
04-20-2009, 03:54 PM
Anyone know how much we're paying him?

DrGraves
04-20-2009, 04:00 PM
I have a feeling he will play well and that we will be in quite a quandary when marshawn is back and we have 3 guys wanting touches.

madness
04-20-2009, 04:07 PM
“I love that Trent (Edwards) likes to get the ball to the backs out of the backfield,” said Rhodes. “That’s definitely a plus and that shows how he’s coming around as a quarterback. Most guys want to hit that long pass and even if it’s not there they want to force it in there and most times the back is wide open. That’s how Peyton’s (Manning) game evolved over the years. He started hitting those checkdowns. That’s a good thing. It tells you that he’s patient and looking all over the field and hitting the open guy.”

Ultimately, Rhodes likes the direction the Bills are taking. He realizes Buffalo might not be the caliber of his former Indianapolis team yet, but he doesn’t see them being far off.

“I’m excited about this situation where they’re putting together some great pieces,” said Rhodes. “It’s a younger team, but you get a couple of pieces here and there and you knock out a couple of pieces that don’t fit what you’re doing, or are not even trying to fit what you’re doing and you can be in the Super Bowl before you know it.”

Nice! Rhodes is coming out firing bullets right from the start. It's funny how Payton early in his career had the same critics as Trent does now. I'm glad Rhodes mentioned it.

The last paragraph should be an immediate hit in the locker room. I keep hearing more and more that Bills players are glad the saga is finally over.

Oaf
04-20-2009, 04:15 PM
I hope big time that this was not the Bills response to Jackson's statement. What ARE we going to do with Lynch, Jackson, and Rhodes and why are we so willing to give up on players like Wright and Omon under such limited action? Jackson has done nothing but produce, he should be the clear cut starter above Rhodes.

Mudflap1
04-20-2009, 04:17 PM
Who is going to block for these guys? I like the backs, but don't like the offensive line. I like how the Bills' plan is that 4 years after starting rebuilding, the offensive line is in complete shambles.

DynaPaul
04-20-2009, 07:42 PM
Blly Joe Tolliver comes to mind.

Did you mean Billy Joe Hobart?