PDA

View Full Version : Peters on Sirius NFL Radio (from Chris Brown)

Michael82
04-20-2009, 03:32 PM
Peters: “To be honest, I don’t know. I wasn’t trying to get a whole lot of money. I just wanted to get what I deserved and they couldn’t reach an agreement.”

My take: C’mon man, you were trying to get $11.5M per season out of Buffalo, and then you took less from Philly. Six years $60M.

Schein later asked Peters if he had any regrets about holding out and if he was in top shape when he finally reported.

Peters: “No, no I wasn’t. It took about three games, three, four weeks until I got to 100%. I wasn’t 100% when I came back. No regrets though. That was the only leverage I had, you know, to hold out. That’s the only thing the player can do. I can’t do no more besides holding out. That was the only leverage I had.”

My take: Finally some truth. It was clear he was not in game shape when he came back. That’s why he had to get subbed out a handful of times in the Jacksonville game in Week 2, when Langston Walker nobly flipped back and forth between right and left tackle during a game with 102 degree heat.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2009/04/20/peters-on-sirius-nfl-radio/

Michael82
04-20-2009, 03:34 PM
I'm sorry, but the more that the clown opens up his mouth....the more pissed I get. I don't think anyone could convince me that the Bills were at fault. I think that the blame goes COMPLETELY on Jason Peters and his horrid way of handling this, since last year. And I also will say that there was no way he was staying here this season, he wanted out of here and he wanted out really bad! Good Riddance to another piece of ****! :bigwave:

Jan Reimers
04-20-2009, 03:42 PM
Peters is a punk. I'm glad he's gone. I'd rather root for guys that give a damn.

OpIv37
04-20-2009, 03:43 PM
Peters is a punk. I'm glad he's gone. I'd rather root for guys that give a damn.

too bad giving a damn won't make them better football players.

bigbub2352
04-20-2009, 03:44 PM
He is exactly what is wrong with the NFL, u are playing professional football for a living scumbag, and you got the balls to tell people who paid to see you play that your contract is on your mind and it took you 4weeks to et into game shape?
WOW and how come the media isnt all over this?
News flash you are extremely overrated, you are injury prone, nobody mentioned that? how come? didnt finish either season as the starter also missed games when his fat ass was still a STer
You gave up 11.5 sacks bro and also more QB hurries but that means pay him?
How many penalties were drive Killers? nobody is saying that
how many false starts?
anyone who played the game and knows the game can tell u, yeah he is athletic and yes he can play but by no means is he the best LT in the game, Mouse McNally's comments went a little far dont think?
Sad that the media can brainwash so much about a slightly above average LT who thinks his money is more important that a Team concept game
i hope he has a career ending injury first play of the preseason
Sorry folks he is everything wrong with professional sports NFL or anyother

I really hope he ****s the bed in Philly, we did the best thing got picks for his loser ass and rebuild the Oline thru the draft
bye peters u scumbag

T-Long
I heard the interview when I was in the car and I was swearing at the radio. What a fat piece of trash.

BuffaloBillsStampede
Wow I really really wish we had Philly on the home schedule this season..........Peters would be in for a rude awakening<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Jan Reimers
04-20-2009, 03:48 PM
too bad giving a damn won't make them better football players.
We'll just have to agree to disagree on that.

kernowboy
04-20-2009, 03:49 PM
I would love to know what Philly fans think about him now

OpIv37
We'll just have to agree to disagree on that.

that's ok- you'll agree with me once the season starts and we have some results.

justasportsfan
Wow I really really wish we had Philly on the home schedule this season..........Peters would be in for a rude awakening<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
none of our DE's right now could take on him anyways.

justasportsfan
04-20-2009, 03:51 PM
just like what bills fans feel about TO. He was a piece of crap before he got here and now he's gold.

JJamezz
04-20-2009, 03:51 PM
Peters: “That’s the only thing the player can do. I can’t do no more besides holding out.”

My take: How about being a man and honoring your already renegotiated contract, start the season in shape, earn your Pro Bowl appearance, and get offered a comparable or better contract in Buffalo?

While I'd personally rather still have the guy in Buffalo, he frankly didn't give the Bills any choice. He's never going to live up to Andy Reid's praise or expectations, but I think he plays out his career as a very solid, above average LT. Bottom line is, it just wasn't going to happen in Buffalo.

Michael82
04-20-2009, 03:55 PM
I dare you to go to one of their boards and ask them. :up:

madness
04-20-2009, 03:55 PM
Stroud and Evans gave a damn. How'd that work out?

Michael82
04-20-2009, 03:57 PM
I think I now found someone to replace Willis McGahee with my hate. What an *******! :mad:

DrGraves
04-20-2009, 03:59 PM
I agree peters is a huge douche. I can't wait till we all let it go and forget about it now though.

The Spaz
04-20-2009, 04:01 PM
I think I now found someone to replace Willis McGahee with my hate. What an *******! :mad:

You know what I still have a Willis jersey buried in the back of my closet. I think there will be a jersey burning before the draft to cleanse the Buffalo Bills draft spirits. I will post it on youtube!:up::beers:

FinFaninBuffalo
04-20-2009, 04:02 PM
Bills fans didn't want to hear it before, but Peters is overrated. He is a feel good story about an undrafted TE that worked and became a good LT. That made him a great LT in the eyes of many in the media and elsewhere. I don't think he should have made the probowl either time. He is an average run blocker. Probowl LTs should be very good to great at both run and pass blocking.

All that being said, if Andy Reid believes Peters is the best LT in the league, then the Bills got ripped off. Two 1st round picks should have been the minimum.

Philagape
04-20-2009, 04:08 PM
It doesn't matter who's at fault in the contract issue. Peters hurt his team and endangered his QB. He is one of the biggest disgraces to ever wear a Bills uniform. They had to dump that POS cancerous scumbag turd no matter what.

streetkings01
04-20-2009, 04:10 PM
Bills fans didn't want to hear it before, but Peters is overrated. He is a feel good story about an undrafted TE that worked and became a good LT. That made him a great LT in the eyes of many in the media and elsewhere. I don't think he should have made the probowl either time. He is an average run blocker. Probowl LTs should be very good to great at both run and pass blocking.

All that being said, if Andy Reid believes Peters is the best LT in the league, then the Bills got ripped off. Two 1st round picks should have been the minimum.Andy Reid is not the best judge of talent! My boss is a diehard Eagles fan and he said since Modrak left the Eagles drafts have been horrible. The core of players that were on the Philly team that went to 4 straight conference championships were all from Modraks time there.

kernowboy
04-20-2009, 04:11 PM
The Front Office don't need to go public and explain the reasons for their actions.

Peters is doing it for free.

Michael82
04-20-2009, 04:23 PM
The Front Office don't need to go public and explain the reasons for their actions.

Peters is doing it for free.
:rofl: Good point! I wonder how long until the Eagles tell him to STFU and quit talking to the media.

Lexwhat
04-20-2009, 05:09 PM
Andy Reid is not the best judge of talent! My boss is a diehard Eagles fan and he said since Modrak left the Eagles drafts have been horrible. The core of players that were on the Philly team that went to 4 straight conference championships were all from Modraks time there.

:bs:

Who the **** is your lame-ass boss??

Tom Heckert and Andy Reid have been VERY successful with their drafts -- among the best in the NFL.

They find lots of late-round gems, and they haven't even had a 1st round pick the last 2 years.

Their drafting is 10 times better than the Bills. Did you not see the Eagles advance on the NFC championship this past season??? How the hell could they do that if their drafts have been "horrible" the past 5-6 years.

What a crock.

X-Era
04-20-2009, 05:22 PM
I'm sorry, but the more that the clown opens up his mouth....the more pissed I get. I don't think anyone could convince me that the Bills were at fault. I think that the blame goes COMPLETELY on Jason Peters and his horrid way of handling this, since last year. And I also will say that there was no way he was staying here this season, he wanted out of here and he wanted out really bad! Good Riddance to another piece of ****! :bigwave:

I will give you credit, your a good fan Mikey... a very good Bills fan.

colin
04-20-2009, 06:06 PM
the bottom line on peters is talent aside; he didn't put in a real effort for us.

that's all a BILLS FAN needs to read. eff him and his talent, he quit on us, he gave up game losing sacks, and dock showed poor effort last year so they are both out the door.

just like willis mcgayhee, top talent, no heart. no one needs that.

PromoTheRobot
04-20-2009, 06:38 PM
that's ok- you'll agree with me once the season starts and we have some results.
And if Peters does suck, Opi will conveniently forget he ever made these comments.

PTR

Goobylal
04-20-2009, 06:46 PM
Peters was a great pass-blocking LT. That was before he shredded his groin at the end of 2007. Coupled with his lack of heart and character, and you get what you see now.

All that being said, if Andy Reid believes Peters is the best LT in the league, then the Bills got ripped off. Two 1st round picks should have been the minimum.
Yeah, I'm sure that Reid was telling the Bills that Peters was the best LT in the league. He (or more likely Heckert) was probably telling them about the money they'd have to pay him, how he gave up 11.5 sacks last year, and that they'd be taking a gamble.

To take a former UDFA TE, convert him to LT, and trade him for a 1st, 4th, and conditional 2010 pick, the Bills made out in spades. Especially considering the poor pass-blocking year he had, to go along with his poor run-blocking skills.

And Heckert and Reid laid major eggs with TO and Jevon Kearse. But at least they gave it their all out on the field.

Saratoga Slim
04-20-2009, 07:07 PM
I heard it too Mikey, everything you said is accurate.

Jim Miller said that he 100% understands why the Bills felt they had to make this move and that he really hopes it works out for Andy Reid, because he (Jim) has some reservations about Peters' likelihood of playing up to the contract. He had a good point though, he said the one thing he didn't really agree with from the Bills' perspective is why they didn't get a player instead of that 4th round pick--the Eagles have Winston Justice and a couple other tackles that would have at least given us another decent body to put in our OL mix.

justasportsfan
04-20-2009, 07:23 PM
players and coaches vote players into the probowl. If he was over rated he wouldn't make it in there twice with him making it in most likely last year via players and coaches because I doubt fans voted him .

Why give up 2 first rd. picks if the bills were willing to accept 1?

realdealryan
04-20-2009, 07:25 PM
He is an average run blocker.

This is generous.

yordad
04-20-2009, 08:08 PM
Wow I really really wish we had Philly on the home schedule this season..........Peters would be in for a rude awakening<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">Why? He would be body slamming Schobel. It wouldn't matter to him if the Bills won.

yordad
04-20-2009, 08:13 PM
My take: Finally some truth. It might have been some truth, but it wasn't all of it. He had one more "move" other then the holdout.

THE PHANTOM INJURIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Goobylal
04-20-2009, 08:23 PM
I heard it too Mikey, everything you said is accurate.

Jim Miller said that he 100% understands why the Bills felt they had to make this move and that he really hopes it works out for Andy Reid, because he (Jim) has some reservations about Peters' likelihood of playing up to the contract. He had a good point though, he said the one thing he didn't really agree with from the Bills' perspective is why they didn't get a player instead of that 4th round pick--the Eagles have Winston Justice and a couple other tackles that would have at least given us another decent body to put in our OL mix.
Winston Justice?! No thanks, I'd rather have the conditional pick in 2010 than that scrub. And what other tackles do they have?

MikeInRoch
04-20-2009, 09:38 PM
players and coaches vote players into the probowl. If he was over rated he wouldn't make it in there twice with him making it in most likely last year via players and coaches because I doubt fans voted him .

It is extremely obvious that offensive linemen especially are often voted in based on name recognition, or on one good season that was years ago. Exhibit A: Reuben Brown.

MikeInRoch
04-20-2009, 09:41 PM
Serious question: Has anyone SEEN him play at a *real* pro bowl level since his injury at the end of 2007?

justasportsfan
04-20-2009, 10:15 PM
It is extremely obvious that offensive linemen especially are often voted in based on name recognition, or on one good season that was years ago. Exhibit A: Reuben Brown.
name recognition? It's not like he was on the probowl for quite some time like Ruben Brown? He was only on his 2nd year as an LT. was Orlando PAce a probowler last year? :idunno:

justasportsfan
04-20-2009, 10:16 PM
Serious question: Has anyone SEEN him play at a *real* pro bowl level since his injury at the end of 2007?
maybe players and coaches that have played against him?

clumping platelets
04-20-2009, 10:27 PM
That was the only leverage I had, you know, to hold out. That’s the only thing the player can do. I can’t do no more besides holding out. That was the only leverage I had.”

I guess Lee Evans, Aaron Schobel, and Marcus Stroud all missed that chapter in the book

OpIv37
04-20-2009, 10:31 PM
And if Peters does suck, Opi will conveniently forget he ever made these comments.

PTR
I've always taken responsibility for what I've said, so don't come out with these bull**** accusations when there is no evidence to back them up.

How Peters plays is only half the story- the real test is whether or not we find a guy who can be equal or better.

And we really don't have to worry about it because Peters isn't going to suck.

clumping platelets
04-20-2009, 11:08 PM
NFC East pass rushers >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> AFC East pass rushers

thenry20
04-21-2009, 01:19 AM

Yes, I agree he held the team hostage but the team doesn't care!!! They let Greer walk and now they aren't going to re-sign Jackson. We don't want the better players in the league cuz it'll cost us $$$$.

kernowboy
04-21-2009, 02:34 AM
They let Greer walk because they had McKelvin and Youboty ready to start and Corner coming along behind him.

There is such a thing as the salary cap, and money spent in one position cannot be spent elsewhere. Undoubtedly the team was trying to save money to help pay for Peters but when he became totally unreasonable with his inflated demands it was impossible to meet in the middle with him.

The team now has cap space, to extend some of younger players, and to sign our draft selections, plus to grab some players in free agency after the draft.

MikeInRoch
04-21-2009, 06:47 AM
maybe players and coaches that have played against him?

Well, no. He rather sucked lasted year.

FinFaninBuffalo
04-21-2009, 08:22 AM

Players and coaches can overrate players.

Why give up 2 first rd. picks if the bills were willing to accept 1?

That's the point. The Bills should have held out for more. The Eagles were willing to pay Peters like a top tier LT. The Bills should have gotten more in the trade. I can assure you that the Rams would not have traded Orlando Pace in his prime for a late first and a fourth.

psubills62
04-21-2009, 08:53 AM
:bs:

Who the **** is your lame-ass boss??

Tom Heckert and Andy Reid have been VERY successful with their drafts -- among the best in the NFL.

They find lots of late-round gems, and they haven't even had a 1st round pick the last 2 years.

Their drafting is 10 times better than the Bills. Did you not see the Eagles advance on the NFC championship this past season??? How the hell could they do that if their drafts have been "horrible" the past 5-6 years.

What a crock.

I don't know exactly when Modrak left the Eagles (it looks like 2001), but here's a rundown of their last few drafts:

2008:
Trevor Laws
Desean Jackson
Bryan Smith
Mike McGlynn
Quintin Demps
Jack Ikegwuonu
Mike Gibson
Joe Mays
Andy Studebaker
King Dunlap

2007:
Kevin Kolb
Victor Abiamiri
Stewart Bradley
Tony Hunt
CJ Gaddis
Brent Celek
Rashard Barksdale
Nate Ilaoa

2006:
Broderick Bunkley
Winston Justice
Chris Gocong
Max Jean-Giles
Jason Avant
Jeremy Bloom
Omar Gaither
LaJuan Ramsey

2005:
Mike Patterson
Reggie Brown
Matt McCoy
Ryan Moats
Sean Considine
Todd Herremans
Trent Cole
Scott Young
Calvin Armstrong
Keyonta Marshall
David Bergeron

I could keep going, but I think you get the point. I'm not overly familiar with the Eagles, but there's about 37 total picks there. And it looks like a total of 7-8 starters out of that, with 11 backups. That's less than 50% of the players from the last four drafts that are still on the team. The Bills drafted 32 players in the last four years and 22 of them are still on the team (though a few of those players might be gone soon, such as Parrish, McCargo). Even so, the Bills are well above 50%.

I don't know about you, but it looks to me like the Eagles haven't done that great a job of drafting. Not horrible, but not that great.

MikeInRoch
04-21-2009, 09:57 AM
Well, keep in mind that it's tougher to make the Eagles team, because they are actually decent...

PromoTheRobot
04-21-2009, 10:11 AM

PTR

Ha ha! Opi left me an obscene PM because of this comment. WHen I tried to respond I got a message that his mailbox is too full to accept any more messages. I guess I'm not the only one to tell Opi what they think of him! :lol:

PTR

billogic99
04-21-2009, 12:09 PM

I don't blame the players for wanting to get payed. It's the result of living in a capitalist society. I have read many, many, many times on here Bill fans calling Peters the best LT in the NFL, but him wanting to be paid like he's the best LT in the game is a crime? Why is OK for players to be underpaid and deal with the contract they signed, but it's not OK to want to get peid when they out perforn the contract?

I understand the frustration with the fans and their dislike of the players holding out and not giving the impression they want to be here, but it's just not that cut and dry. The avg span of a football players career is less than 1/5 the normal persons career. They need to capitalize on their earning potential when they're in their prime. I know most of us will never see the kinda money these guy's are making in a full lifetime of work, but that's irrelevant. If any of us were in those players shoes and we had the chance to maximize our earning potential, we'd be all over it, but we ***** when the players do it? That's a bit unfair IMO.

Bottom line is Peters is good enough a player that he asked for and eventually got what he wanted. Good for him, not so much for us, why? Is Peters trade to Philly his fault or is it a result of a FO that isn't willing to pay the best players on this team what they want simply because they have a little leverage and they use it?

Philly is notoriusly cheap when it comes to paying aging players, but will spen big money when it comes to young players at the top of their game. Obviously the Eagles feel Peters is young enough and talented enough to pay a huge contract despite his holding out and lackluster performance last year.

I think 99% of us Bill fans will agree, Peters has the talent, now he's got his money.I think Peters will be a fixture in Philly for years and now Buffalo is back to finding another LT perhaps the toughest postion to fill outside of QB. I think the anger towards Peters is misguided, the anger should be with a FO that constantly loses site if what a winning team is made of.

The Trentches are where the rebuilding should start and once you've got the trenches set you focus on the skill positions. The Bills are all messed up, they sign skill position players like TO than tear thir trenches apart and spread them all over the NFL. If the Bills can't block or put pressure on the QB than everything else they do is pointless. The Bills didn't need TO, the Bills needed J.Peters.

kernowboy
04-21-2009, 12:56 PM
I disagree.

Peters has actually regressed in the number of sacks allowed. He is continually suffering niggling injuries. The fact he was not a team player and couldn't be bothered to keep in shape is a disgrace.

You pay for performance and somehow Peters thought that if he didn't perform somehow he'd get paid which just shows what an idiot he is. He got taken in by this best LT in the league nonsense but there are several guys just as good. He believed the hype and demanded more than he was worth.

Philadelphia looked at the draft and thought they were getting value at #28. The reason why they might have not given up #21 is at that point you have to question if Beatty and Britton might not have ended up the better pro.

Peters forced the Bills to trade him by being totally unreasonable with his demands. He didn't deserve to be paid more than Jordan Gross because he is not as consistent as Gross. Personally I felt he should be paid what Michael Roos is getting - $43m over 6years.

BillsWin
04-21-2009, 01:00 PM
good riddance, we got a few picks for him and now we have even more trade leverage.

billogic99
04-21-2009, 08:21 PM
I disagree.

Peters has actually regressed in the number of sacks allowed. He is continually suffering niggling injuries. The fact he was not a team player and couldn't be bothered to keep in shape is a disgrace.

You pay for performance and somehow Peters thought that if he didn't perform somehow he'd get paid which just shows what an idiot he is. He got taken in by this best LT in the league nonsense but there are several guys just as good. He believed the hype and demanded more than he was worth.

Philadelphia looked at the draft and thought they were getting value at #28. The reason why they might have not given up #21 is at that point you have to question if Beatty and Britton might not have ended up the better pro.

Peters forced the Bills to trade him by being totally unreasonable with his demands. He didn't deserve to be paid more than Jordan Gross because he is not as consistent as Gross. Personally I felt he should be paid what Michael Roos is getting - $43m over 6years.

Would you be shocked if the injuries and lack luster performance were intentional? Think about it, the FO's throughout the NFL have no problem underpaying players for pro bowl efforts, but they sure as hell won't overpay if you don't produce. Hell they can cut or trade a player at any point and most players don't have a no trade clause so they have no say in what happens to them.

The point is the players only have so much control over their situations once they sign a contract. If the player is lucky enough to sign with a team that is managed correctly, the top players usually get extended, but if a FO wants to be stubborn and/or stingy the player really has no control over their situation. However, if a team like the Bills want to play hardball, well a player "CAN" choose to come up limp or just not give the effort the team wants. I think Peters intentionally underperformed and could have played through injuries but chose not to.

Now this is just my opinion and I have no evidence to support this opinion, but the situation between the Bills and Peters has been an ugly one and Peters wasn't considered one of the top LT's in the NFL for no reason, I think Peters will look like the player we saw and loved now that he has the money he wanted, we'll see.