PDA

View Full Version : Forked Thread: OT is a lock at 11

ddaryl
04-20-2009, 06:01 PM
If the Bills really do like D.Bell and are comfortable drafting an OT in round 2 or 3 im ok with that.

and that right there is where I have had issue with the Bills strategy of maintaining the OL...

We've been traveling down this exact scenario for 10 years now. Rarely drafting an OL in the early rounds, or swinging and missing when we did, and depending upon players we draft late and develope and then hope it works out. We've lost this battle more then we have won it...

Our present stable is mostly a collection of above average depth players. We lack some serious draft day investments into our OL, and IMO it has killed us this entire playoff drought.

SO if the Bills go T @11 its a damn good idea, but they simply must invest into the OL and I sincerely hope they pull the trigger on a 1st or 2nd rd talent. I prefer T because we have a boat load of ???? marks with all of out possible LT candidates on the roster.

1.) Can Walker last all year at LT
2.) Can Chambers play at a high enough level consistently all year at LT
3.) LT by committee ?
4.) Can Bell even win a starting position ?
5.) How about the other developement players ??? any chance.

I just do not like the idea of having to depend on any of those options, and when we traded Peters I assumed the Bills will have their eye on T early as possible.

I think I will be shocked if they pass up on a T at #11. T's will be eaten up in this draft leaving 2nd rd reach candidates at our #28 spot and possibly our 2nd rd pick won't yield many options if a few other teams reach before our pick there.

Nighthawk
04-20-2009, 06:11 PM
and that right there is where I have had issue with the Bills strategy of maintaining the OL...

We've been traveling down this exact scenario for 10 years now. Rarely drafting an OL in the early rounds, or swinging and missing when we did, and depending upon players we draft late and develope and then hope it works out. We've lost this battle more then we have won it...

Our present stable is mostly a collection of above average depth players. We lack some serious draft day investments into our OL, and IMO it has killed us this entire playoff drought.

SO if the Bills go T @11 its a damn good idea, but they simply must invest into the OL and I sincerely hope they pull the trigger on a 1st or 2nd rd talent. I prefer T because we have a boat load of ???? marks with all of out possible LT candidates on the roster.

1.) Can Walker last all year at LT
2.) Can Chambers play at a high enough level consistently all year at LT
3.) LT by committee ?
4.) Can Bell even win a starting position ?
5.) How about the other developement players ??? any chance.

I just do not like the idea of having to depend on any of those options, and when we traded Peters I assumed the Bills will have their eye on T early as possible.

I think I will be shocked if they pass up on a T at #11. T's will be eaten up in this draft leaving 2nd rd reach candidates at our #28 spot and possibly our 2nd rd pick won't yield many options if a few other teams reach before our pick there.

ddaryl, an OT in the 2nd or 3rd is much different then what they've done lately. They recently have only added them in the later rounds...if they get OL in the 2nd or 3rd, they will get good players.

Kenny
04-20-2009, 06:39 PM
I think it depends on how the coaches feel Bell is at. If they think he's our future LT, then we'll wait to draft an OT in the later rounds.
Otherwise, I see us going LT in the first round, possibly @ #11.

I just dont see the reason of drafting an OT in the first round if Bell is going to be a starter also. It would seem like a wasted draft pick. If we dont go OT in round one, than I suspect that we'll see alot of Bell in RT this year (possibly switching up with Walker @ LT).

If we do draft an OT in the first round I think that's a clear signal that Bell wont be anything more than a backup.

kid mickey
04-20-2009, 08:52 PM
I think you have to give Bell time to develop. One more year before this kid is really ready to step up and play. I think he could be an awesome RT with a little more development. He may be ready this year, but I think he needs to show it. If he dominates at practice maybe we get him on the field sooner than expected. I still think the Bills like him as a RT.

ddaryl
04-21-2009, 07:38 AM
ddaryl, an OT in the 2nd or 3rd is much different then what they've done lately. They recently have only added them in the later rounds...if they get OL in the 2nd or 3rd, they will get good players.

Well you didn't read my entire post

I stated that the OT available in the 2nd and 3rd rounds would be reaches for those rounds because there is going to be a run on OT.

We traded away our disgruntled LT... IMO that means you replace him with a talent that has a solid chance of starting/relacing him in year 1, and being better then the majority of depth players we have on the roster at T. I also stated that our T options on the roster are good, but can they play at high enough level all year long. When we traded Peters I assume we intend to adequately replace him, and give us more options.

Relying on Bell is a fools move. If he was so ready they should have gotten him playing time last year. they didn;'t therefore he is probably a better depth option this year. He may turn into a starter, but depending on a project to be a solid starter is begging for trouble. The same trouble that has litterally been the sole reaosn for the Bills being in this playoff drought

I will be shocked and pretty dissapointed if the Bills pass up on Smith or Oher at #11 if they are still on the board at # 11. there are only a few players that could fall to us that should change the Bills mind. Orakpo and Curry and the other 2 OT are it IMO...

AND If the Bills draft a T at #11 I owuld not be a bit dissaponted if they also drafted a G/C soon afterwards. That is how pathetically desperate I view our need for OL players.